Dev Bootcamp - CLOSED

About Dev Bootcamp

Please note: This school is closed and is no longer accepting students. The SwitchUp team no longer monitors this page for updates, but historical information is available for reference.

Please note: As of July 17, 2017, Dev Bootcamp is no longer accepting applications

Dev Bootcamp’s mission is to transform lives by teaching people of all backgrounds the technical, cognitive, and interpersonal skills used in software development so they... Read More

Since we started in 2012, we’ve been fine tuning our program and have developed a skills map, or set of competencies informed by employers and students, that prepares our grads for today’s job market. Graduates of our intensive program are agile in Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and database systems such as SQL and PostgreSQL. In addition to teaching languages and frameworks, we coach students on how to approach challenges like developers – thinking through a project and iterating on feedback to arrive at the most elegant solution. During our 18-week program (9 weeks part-time online prep and 9 weeks onsite immersive with career prep integrated throughout), students learn how to optimize their learning, and they apply those techniques to quickly pick up new skills or languages required in-field.

We foster a highly inclusive culture and strive to fill the tech talent pipeline with more diversity by offering scholarships to women and students from underrepresented communities in tech. But, greater accessibility to our program is only part of what makes Dev Bootcamp stand out from other bootcamps; the other is our collaborative teaching method and the support of a strong community both on and off-campus.

Our graduates work for a range of companies from innovative startups, to mid-size companies, to the Fortune 500 in industries as varied as our students’ backgrounds. We have graduates working as developers in tech, fashion, finance, education, travel, media, and much more.

Dev Bootcamp's final cohorts will graduate in December 2017.

Dev Bootcamp Reviews

Overall

4.12/5

1/7/2020
  • Joe
  • Graduated: 2019

"Intensive learning"

Pros:
-Taught how to learn, not just given the answer but guided in the right direction and suggested things to try.
-Very supportive coaches that were always happy to help.
-Taught how to pair program, work in an agile team, and solo program.
-Learnt a... Read More

Cons:
-Spent too long on Ruby and not enough time on the more difficult languages used in the project weeks and then in the workplace.
-Not enough resources available from Makers during project weeks when you start working with languages other than ruby.
-Not always enough coaches for the amount of students which could lead to being stuck without support for a time.

Overall a great experience, went in with minimal coding experience and left having learnt loads and made many friends. Would recommend the course if you are looking to start a career in software development and have minimal coding experience.

9/26/2019
  • Graduated: 2019

"Excellent content and technical support as compared to other portals"

I must say, it was completely different experience with GeekUni
1. Academic content is pretty good
2. Small technical exercises and their evaluation is not like multiple choice questions, which provides more real time scenario
3. Reference and useful links... Read More

12/21/2017
  • nadia carreira nuñez | web development

"una aventura"

Mi nombre es Nadia Carreira, soy de Bilbao, estudié diseño gráfico en la upv de Leioa. Me especialice en diseño web e ilustración. Actualmente quería dar un giro y no quedarme estancada en el diseño, poder afrontar problemas más técnicos y saber desenvolverme... Read More

7/3/2017
  • Carolina Medellin | Analytics Implementation Specialist
  • Graduated: 2015

"Great way to fall in love with coding"

I really enjoyed that they cared about the people and not only the code. This experience made me fall in love with coding, despite the hours of work we all had to put in. It was a surprisingly enjoyable process. I also enjoyed that I did not have to deal... Read More

6/22/2017
  • Rich
  • Graduated: 2016

"Intense but very rewarding"

The program was excellent and really taught you how to learn new skills/frameworks/technologies quickly. I graduated from the Chicago campus and the program used Ruby and Javascript as the main tools for learning the fundamentals of writing code.

Still... Read More

As I was leaving alot was changing; however, for what its worth it was an amazing experience. I agree with what others here have posted about researching the city where you are looking to work and finding out what languages are being used there. Not that you get locked in to a single language/waste time by learning non-applicable skills but it will make you more appealing to employers to have a portfolio in location-industry specific skills and cut down on the jobsearch time.

Great career staff, great mentorship, very intense (military bootcamp time/energy investment) with a lot of kindness and support

Feel free to connect with me at https://rrichardsonv.github.io

5/5/2017
  • Jeff K | Web Developer
  • Graduated: 2017

"Best Decision I've Ever Made"

Why I chose Dev Bootcamp:

Alumni Network: Dev Bootcamp was the first coding bootcamp ever (founded in 2012) and started the whole idea of a web development immersive program. It now has 6 campuses and has one of the largest alumni networks out of any code... Read More

Tuition: Around 13k (depending on the campus), Dev Bootcamp’s cost is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum. Many schools are now closer to 20k. Also, if necessary, you can repeat the program...for free. As far as I know, no other code school offers anything similar to this.

Curriculum: In my opinion (and I think most people coming from traditional computer science backgrounds would agree with me on this) it’s just not realistic for someone new to coding to adequately learn multiple stacks in just a few months. This helped me narrow down some options and cross-out schools where they promise to teach you 3+ stacks in just 12-14 weeks. I liked Dev Bootcamp’s approach: In 18 weeks you get a solid foundation of Ruby on Rails on the backend and now React on the front including all the fundamentals to make that happen. Laser focused. And the curriculum is designed to act as a starting point for you continue to learn and jump into new technologies on your own.

Duration: I wanted more than 12-14 weeks of training before hitting the job search. Dev Bootcamp’s schedule is longer than most, clocking in at 18 weeks.

My experience there:

I have to be honest here; though I was confident I picked a bootcamp that was right for me, I was still cautiously optimistic about the whole process. But now having gone through the program, I couldn’t have been happier with my decision.

In addition to the full stack development side of the curriculum, Dev Bootcamp also emphasizes best practices for team workflow. DBC does this through a combination of technical and non-technical training (with the latter focusing on pair programming, giving and receiving constructive feedback, and learning general skills on how to effectively work with others in a technical environment). I wasn’t sure what to make of the non-technical focus (dubbed Engineering Empathy) but having gone through the program and now better understanding the actual practices within the industry, I can tell you that this training on interpersonal communication is legit. Not only will it help you find a job but you will hit the ground running when jumping onto a development team.

As someone who has had a fair amount of schooling (3 years of graduate school) I can say that the staff at DBC Seattle genuinely care about the students and are some of the best teachers and mentors I have ever met. Most importantly though, they practice what they preach. The staff will take your feedback seriously as they are constantly pushing themselves to improve on the overall experience. And I’d like to point out that despite Kaplan’s acquisition of DBC a few years ago, DBC has maintained its bottom-up, grassroots mentality by keeping its focus on students and staying active in the tech community through hosting / sponsoring events.

For those of you thinking about taking the plunge into tech, just know that there isn’t a code school that will magically get you a job. You get what you put into it. From what I can tell, (and this is agnostic to any specific coding school), the students that are the most driven and put in the most time are the one’s that find good jobs. That being said, do your research and find a school that fits your needs. Dev Bootcamp was that school for me and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. Feel free to connect if you have any questions - linkedin.com/in/jkranking/

5/5/2017
  • Tim Deel | Graduate

"Not Disappointed"

Before pursuing this career change, I did extensive research into coding bootcamps available. Afterwards, I had decided that Dev Bootcamp was right for me. So much so that even though as a Denver resident it would have been much easier for me to go to... Read More

With all of that in mind, I went into the program with lofty expectations. I was in no way disappointed. Speaking more to Dev Bootcamp's holistic approach, they also have you undergo career courses to help strengthen your online presence thru applications such as LinkedIn. These career courses also help with resume prep, do's and don'ts, as well as networking skills that have been tremendously helpful. Finally, they also offer Engineering Empathy Courses which honestly, teach you to be a better person. Now that is centered around the framework of being a coder, such as how to work well with a pair or team, but the lessons you learn from this are instrumental to having a better connection with those around you.

Speaking directly to the core curriculum, I found the work to be engaging, fun, and ultimately, challenging. There is always assignments to be done, and very rarely will you find yourself completing all of that day's assignments before the end of core hours. This can seem daunting at first, but it was a great way to make sure that I was always challenged. The coursework itself would range in what you were coding or making, but with each assignment came both a way to lock down previously learned skills while learning something new at the same time.

Moving on to the most important part of the review, the staff. Wow. This is where I was truly flabbergasted. Never in my life (sorry previous teachers) have I met people more dedicated to the well being and education of their students. The instructors I had were Jordan and Stu. These two worked incredibly well with each other, playing off each others' strengths and weakness to provide an incredible teaching experience. Both of these instructors came in on holiday's to help offer students more 1 on 1 time. Jerod, the director, did an absolute hands on job with the program as well. Constantly seeking student feedback, doing 1 on 1 check-ins, being active and engaging with students, you name it. You will never find people that have your back in an education setting as much as these 3 will.

Finally, we have the campus, known as "The Space". The Space has a very comfortable and relaxed feel to it. The entrance is inviting, and give you as small sneak peek of what's in store for you. Once you walk in, you'll immediately see the first lounge area. This includes a wall mounted flat screen (with open HDMI access which is great for working/presenting with a group), a comfy couch, and these ridiculously comfortable rocking/lounge chairs. Surrounding you from there are a sea of Mac computer pairing stations, and a few standing desk pair station. You'll then some some strange looking phone booths so you can take a phone call without disturbing, or being disturbed for that matter by others around you. Moving further into the campus you'll see the "dining hall", a long table where you and your cohort will enjoy your meals with some comradery. A great place to unwind, and talk about how the classwork is going so far. There's also a table with board and card games; a great way to relieve stress and have some extra bonding time with your cohort. The kitchen area is quaint with a full refrigerator/freezer, microwave, coffee pot, electric water kettle, and toaster oven. If you go past the second lounge area, you'll enter the lecture area. This is where the morning and afternoon breakouts happen (classes that are determined by the needs of the students). This area is perfect for learning with a standard tables and chairs, as well as beanbags and a couch for the more comfy learning experience.

All in all, Dev Bootcamp has been a life changing experience for me. Not only do I have the skills and know how to make it as a developer, but I'm also just simply a better person from the approach that Dev Bootcamp took in teaching.

4/12/2017
  • Edward Eng | Software Developer
  • Graduated: 2017

"Pretty Intense; Input = Hard Work, Output = Skill Set"

Overall...I think the program was pretty good, especially for people who don't have a background in computer science. I graduated from the Chicago campus and the program used Ruby and Javascript as the tools to teach us 'how to learn how to code'.

I'm... Read More

The one thing I guess I would've like to see DBC push more were things like React, Angular, and Node. But I guess that really depends on what you like and want to do after you graduate.

That said, one suggestion I have is to do research on front-end vs. back-end vs. full-stack. And also look at the jobs in the city or cities you want to work in after you graduate. See what kind of positions are available and what the tech stacks look like before you decide on a bootcamp.

Feel free to connect with me at http://www.mistereng.com.

3/27/2017
  • Hesham Elrehaimy
  • Graduated: 2017

"Dev Bootcamp was transformative"

I won't lie, my time here was hard but I'm better because of it.

3/5/2017
  • Mason
  • Graduated: 2016

"A way to grow."

Long story short, I am a developer now and wouldn't be without Dev Bootcamp.

Take what you expect to magically receive with a grain of salt: others hit the nail on the head that the main takeaway is learning how to learn. There is no magic injection of... Read More

Nothing was magically given to me, but there was something magical about what I experienced in Dev Bootcamp. It was a group of instructors and tireless (and quite wily) curriculum authors who had the faith and the patience to push me to, and past, the limits of what and how I thought I could learn.

I don't know which of the various intensive coding programs best teaches you how to code. I do know, though, that Dev Bootcamp was the best option for awakening my ability to self-educate and grow.

Dev Bootcamp's average rating is 4.12 out of 5.0 based on 49 review(s).