Rocket U - CLOSED

About Rocket U

Please note: This school is closed and is no longer accepting students. The SwitchUp team no longer monitors this page for updates, but historical information is available for reference.

RocketU helps top-performing entrepreneurs and tech professionals... Read More

Rocket U Reviews

Overall

3.47/5

5/6/2015
  • Wes Bailey
  • Developer Bootcamp

"A Message from the Chief Academic Officer of RocketU"

***Switchup Full Disclosure: This reviewer works or has worked for Rocket U.*** A quick message to those of you considering RocketU who are concerned about the negative reviews here on Switchup.

Admittedly, RocketU had a difficult winter 2015 course due... Read More

We felt we needed at least to try and run the course as planned, as students had put their lives on hold for three months to attend RocketU. We owed it to these students. However, we had to improvise the programming. As a result, many students decided to leave the program because it wasn’t exactly what they signed up for and we offered those students a tuition refund. Others chose to stick with the course. Ultimately most students ended up with a net-positive experience, but we recognize that this one class was not optimal for all participants.

To ensure this would not happen again, RocketU has since hired a core of highly qualified on-staff faculty to run the program. We are now six weeks into the new RocketU curriculum with our new in-house faculty, and the feedback from students has been overwhelmingly positive. I am confident that we are currently back running one of the top full-stack Python bootcamps in the country.

If you’re considering RocketU, I encourage you to apply, or to contact us to discuss our new program, meet the staff and current cohort, and alleviate any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact our admissions team at rocketu at rocketspace dot com. We would be delighted to speak with you and learn more about what you’re looking for in a bootcamp so that we can help you decide if our program is right for you.

5/6/2015
  • Developer Bootcamp

I attended an early cohort of RocketU. Since I have invested a lot of time and money into this establishment, I really want it to succeed. However, I'm not really surprised to see the direction it has headed at this moment. I want to preface this by saying... Read More

Even back in this cohort, several people weren't able to finish the final project and were not satisfied with the experience. These were people that left their lives and $10,000 for the hope that they would be coming away with a new career. This was how the BootCamp was sold to them. That you will be learning surrounded by startups just waiting to scoop up junior developers.

This was over a year ago now and expectations have rightfully shifted as to what will happen upon graduation from most of these bootcamps. It is imperative that you are very prepared going in. Especially if your goal is to become a junior developer afterwards. I'm saying spend months studying. If you have the drive and the time to put your life on hold to attend a Bootcamp, you have the time to take 2 hours every night to study. There is a very high bar set with getting a job as a developer. There is a lot to know. I would suggest knowing not just the fundamentals of programming coming in, but know computer science fundamentals. Seeing the bigger picture and patterns and the ability to structure your logic is what's going to translate from one job to the next. From one language or framework to the next.

It appears that RocketU needs to find its niche. To realistically train people for a new career, the bar needs to be set pretty high upon entry. If the goal is to familiarize yourself with Web Development and slowly begin the transition over, then that needs to be a realistic expectation.

Even back in early cohorts, the job situation was not even close to what was sold upon signing up. I can only imagine what it's like with overlapping cohorts at a time. I feel bad for people spending all that money. These are huge changes people are making in their lives. There's a lot of hope and hard work that's required to even begin attending a Bootcamp. In turn there needs to be a lot of support and respect for the students attending. That requires Realistic expectations being set.

With multiple overlapping cohorts, I don't see how the objective of setting up a Qualitty Bootcamp is being reinforced. I know it takes a lot to organize and run such a program. But investment should be made on the students. Their success is what drives this business.

I can't speak for the instructors there now. But when I was there, Yeti still ran the Bootcamp. One of the instructor's personality was very gruff and didn't seem very empathetic or cordial, or even patient. However, she learned how to teach fast and knew what she was talking about. Rudy and Tony were both great.

It sounds like at this point there isn't an instructor there that really knows Front End. I'm surprised Angular is still one of the main Frameworks being taught. I would suggest sticking to one and getting the students to learn it intimately. This is better than kind of knowing a little bit about a few things. Have a particular core focus, like Django or just be a JavaScript Bootcamp. Better yet be Very Python focused, teach the students the fundamentals and have them build their own stack the first 4 weeks that culminates in a simple project. Then 3 weeks learning Django in and out. Then a small Django project for a week to put that all together. Then 4 weeks of building a larger project, with the first 2 weeks interspersed with morning lectures on advance Python or Django topics.

This is just a quick idea. The purpose being learning Python really well. Knowing the fundamentals of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript before attending. Then starting the class with a Python deep dive. Then building an app with Flask, to learn all the pieces. Then learning Django will be intuitive and come quickly. One thing that I thought should be brought to the bootcamp's attention was that if they are a Python Bootcamp, then really teach Python. We spent a week learning Python solely.

A lot of people probably have a lot to say about the Bootcamps they attended. And soon after attending are hesitant to speak up because they are in need of a job. It would be beneficial to check in with past cohorts. Make sure they are succeeding.

All this criticism said and done, I want to state that my Life has changed for the absolute better because I attended. A big part of this is likely due to completely changing my life to attend. I set the intention to learn and to build a new career for myself. I Absolutely did that. RocketU gave me the basic structure to learn how to be a Developer. I didn't actually learn how to really really be a Developer until after I graduated and got my first job. But I had the basics at that point.

I want RocketU to succeed. I would suggest scaling down. Are there really that many jobs for multiple bootcamps and multiple cohorts?? But having a Quality Bootcamp requires the best teachers, the best curriculum, and the biggest investment in the students.

The CEO of RocketSpace made a promise to our cohort that we will be proud that we attended. That RocketU will be like an Ivy League Bootcamp. I know that there is a lot of hype being spouted everywhere. But I want to believe this. My fingers are crossed

4/7/2015
  • Benjamin Huang

"Honest feedback."

As with all bootcamps, you get what you put in.

Pros:
- It gave me a structured schedule to force myself to learn. This led to reading a ton and learning ReactJS.
- Worked on awesome projects with some great people.
- Met people with diverse backgrounds.... Read More

Cons:
- 12k is super steep
- Instruction period was only 6 weeks and the instruction materials were BAD.
- Not really any job support.
- Besides Suman, who is awesome, the other instructors gave me bad architecture directions which led to a ton of wasted time. I ended up reaching out for outside help regarding ReactJS and waiting for Suman to show up when I have Django questions.
- You can just Google or ask StackOver flow and get better answers.
- No one there knew front-end best practice.....
- When someone's attending a web dev bootcamp and they say they want to work on graph database or set up machine learning with Hadoop/Hive/what ever...I think the instructors have an moral obligation to curtail the students' focus.
- While most are awesome, some students didn't seem to belong, they ended up wasting a ton of class time and patience.

Me and other the people who went through this bootcamp learned a ton, but we definitely could've learned way more if the instructions were better.

4/3/2015
  • Graduated: 2015

"I learnt a lot but it could have been better"

My time as RocketU was filled with ups and downs from day one, beginning with the change of curriculum. None of the students were notified of the change prior to arriving (Not very ethical of RocketU) and frustrated many. This resulted in many dropping... Read More

The full-time instructors are very friendly and genuinely want to help out but the downside is that they are are not very experienced. Majority of the time we were left alone with a student who had graduated from the previous cohort and often resulted in us being miss-guided and not shown best practices. There was no one in the class who was an expert in front-end development. Again, a huge problem since all apps require front-end development. There is a new instructor for the upcoming cohorts who we worked with briefly for about a week – I do question his experience and ability.

RocketU market themselves and being a bootcamp with ACCESS to 175+ startups. This is not completely true. Yes, the bootcamp is in a startup working space but you can’t just go for a chat to any of them. They are running a business after all. However, there are ‘lunch and learns’ which RocketU organize and they are often have someone from one of the Startups in Rocketspace come and speak to you about their specialty. The lunch and learns are a hit and miss – some are very insightful and others are a sales pitch for their product.

From day one you are told that you are going to graduate the course being junior-medium full-stack developers. Depending on your prior experience you might be a very junior full-stack developer but if you are new to programing then don’t kid yourself. The course will give you a basic foundation but you will have to work extremely hard after the course to build up on your skills and to get a job in software development.

If you are considering RocketU, make sure you spend 2-3 months prior to starting the class learning Python and Javascript. For you to excel, you really need to do this. We were given pre-requisite work of about 80 hours to do before starting the class but it was not enough in my opinion. Especially focus on JavaScript since it is required for all front-end development and this area of teaching is lacking with the currently RocketU curriculum.

RocketU spends sometime trying to prep you for Interviews and demo/hiring day. We were told we would do mock-interviews prior to demo/hiring day. One student was lucky enough to go through this experience. The rest of us were only taken through this process afterwards (It’s not to late but too late for the actual day). The mock-interviews were also open to whatever you wanted to discuss. From my interviewing experience after the class, you will be asked technical questions and this is something that needs to be practiced in the class. The demo/hiring day is a good experience and RocketU genuinely does try to get you a job (even after the class they will send you emails about job openings).
They have recently opened up hiring days to alumni as well. This is a great feature for alumni but also put student graduating from the course at a slight dis-advantage to begin with since you have less experience.

Overall, I learnt a lot but I could have gained a lot more from the class if the above things had not happened.

4/2/2015
  • Shanarae Goodwin
  • Graduated: 2015

"Hands-on experience in full-stack development"

I recommend RocketU to anyone trying to learn how to code and thinking they can possibly teach themselves at home.

Overall I'm happy about choosing RocketU. Having zero programming experience prior, I learned a ton in 12 weeks and ended it with 3 real... Read More

My favorite part of the program was being in a group setting. There’s something about struggling to learn something with others that helps me learn better. Plus I met some interesting people who I now consider friends. My second favorite part was the projects phase of the course (the whole second half) where I learned more by having to design, code, and implement a full project.

4/1/2015
  • Graduated: 2014

"The curriculum was worst than anything from Coursera"

The overall experience was pretty terrible. For anyone looking into this bootcamp and hoping for interaction with the start-ups, there will NOT be any. The curriculum was worst than anything from Coursera. 12K is very steep for knowledge that you can... Read More

2/20/2015
  • Graduated: 2015

"Were the previous reviews fake?"

Rocketspace has jumped the shark, or maybe was never any good, and spammed the previous reviews. I was a part of the current cohort, and had to drop out of the program because of terrible instruction quality. Go somewhere else, this is a complete waste... Read More

2/11/2015
  • Developer Bootcamp

"Big waste of time and money"

I realized I made a huge mistake after about the first week of attending. The instructors we had literally had no instructing experience, and their people skills were just plain awful. They claim to help you build projects that can be presented to prospective... Read More

2/10/2015

"2015 Jan cohort"

They completely changed the curriculum a few weeks before my cohort started which makes all of the previous reviews irrelevant. They brought in a new general manager, and he seems to have no idea what he is doing. 1/2 of the class dropped out within the... Read More

12/8/2014
  • Garrett Kadillak | RocketU In House Developer
  • Graduated: 2014

"Very intense. You will learn so much in a very short amount of time."

RocketU was really a life changing experience. The course is very intense (expect 10-12 hour days) but you really do learn so much in 3 months. What I really enjoyed about the course was the fact that we learned more than just JavaScript. There is a decent... Read More

I just graduated from the Fall 2014 class and I had a blast. There was really so much that I didn't even know about that really opened my eyes to this entire universe of the internet which is fascinating to me. On top of that, my skills are at another level just after 3 months. The environment is fantastic being in the middle of Rocket Space and all of the start ups that make up the ecosystem there. There are minimum 2 networking events every week (Wednesday and Friday) along with breakfast provided, lunch sometimes (when there is a speaker that comes in). Rocket Space is also in the heart of the financial district so getting to any of the amazing meetups happening in the city is within walking distance. Just an overall fantastic experience. Highly recommended.

Rocket U's average rating is 3.47 out of 5.0 based on 17 review(s).