Ruby On The Beach - CLOSED

About Ruby On The Beach

Please note: This school is closed and is no longer accepting students. The SwitchUp team no longer monitors this page for updates, but historical information is available for reference.

Ruby on the Beach is the world's premier destination-based tech bootcamp.... Read More

Most of all, it allows Ruby on the Beach to be the least stressful way to live the bootcamp experience. Participants are accommodated as part of the fee, in private rooms that can accommodate partners and spouses, in beautiful two bedroom villas in Ubud, Bali - most with pools and private gardens, and all with wifi and a/c. These are close to our teaching facility - a gorgeous, 5000 sq ft villa in a secluded part of Ubud, surrounded by rice paddies and forest. The lengthy, time-wasting commutes of most bootcamps just aren't part of the Ruby on the Beach experience.

And Ubud is a very inexpensive place to live, while living well. You won't have to deal with the crushing costs of San Francisco, New York or Chicago while on course.

All of this is part of our goal: to offer the most focused, student-centered bootcamp experience anywhere, at any price.

Our Bali partner, Hubud.org, runs and provides co-work facilities to our participants in a well-equipped, hip, fun space that hosts dozens of digital nomads, remote workers - including a great community of Rails devs working on projects in San Francisco, New York, Sydney, London and just about anywhere else you can think of. Our participants can mingle and learn, and build knowledge and connections for their post-course work.

Our instructors are pulled from current industry - at Ruby on the Beach, you don't deal with ex-devs who have lost contact with the industry. And with an international student body pulled from the US, the UK, Australia, Canada and Europe - as well as Asia and elsewhere - our students build not just skills but also perspective.

With our best-of-class teacher ratios, we accelerate learning, making our 9-week courses as or more effective than a longer, costlier commitment elsewhere. On average, we find that we can deliver curriculum with high retention and plenty of review time at about 130% of the rate of other published curricula.

And let's not forget: Bali is home to some of the world's most beautiful beaches; most remarkable cultures; is a world centre for yoga and a huge array of other disciplines. And that's just part of why we can offer a burnout-free experience with a great life/work balance, without breaking the bank or sacrificing anything in capability on graduation.

Finally, on completion, we offer a great post-course mentorship that keeps you motivated and directed - key elements in post-course job search.

We want those with adventure, with brains and with drive to join us. Others won't be considered. If this is you, join us.

Ruby On The Beach Reviews

Overall

4.4/5

12/3/2014
  • Anonymous | Unemployed

"Bali."

No idea what to expect when I touched down in Bali.

However, everything seemed pleasantly well planned and executed. Student villas were decent (all had no AC), ~5mins scooter ride to Hubud and the main RotB villa next door.
My villa was a 2 levels w/o... Read More

RotB was fairly decent overall. The first month was spent on Ruby, and felt a little skimmed through. Curriculum could have used more practices and refinement.
In the second month, all you are provided with are vague guidelines/instructions to google a tool - e.g. Bootstrap, Heroku, AWS, and then left to your own to figure it out for half a day. I would have preferred more directed nudging. After two months, I will say that I've learnt more than I expected, and am confident to be able to find a junior position at a small company, independently.

Hubud was awesome, they couldn't have been more helpful the two months we were there. Ivor, you the man.

I would highly recommend demanding everything in writing (from Dan only), and deducting the 'travel subsidy' from the final payment instead of trying to get reimbursed. Save yourself a loop of errors and frustration.

Satisfaction. 4 - Bali, the friendly instructors, and the awesome friends I made there.
Curriculum. 3 - Not bad first month, not good second month.
Job support. 0, if i could - What job support? Not that I'm complaining, but know that.

Would I recommend my friends for the second cohort? Not entirely certain. But it's Bali.

• Graduated: 2014

To be honest I kept my expectations low for Ruby on the Beach. I have heard many bootcamp success stories but as a salesperson for the last 10 years I was not sure I would have what it takes to really get my head into coding and master the mindset it... Read More

That said, at the end of the course I am confident I have the tools it takes to be able to continue to teach myself with the basis I learned in this course. That and of course I got to live in Bali for 3 months which no one can complain about.

Being in the first cohort does come with it's hiccups and I think the curriculum and execution can use some refinement but overall I am extremely pleased with the knowledge I got out of the course. Do not expect to build an extremely complex web app coming out of this course but rest assured that you should have the framework to improve on your own with a solid foundation. In short, if any of my friends back in the US ask if I would recommend taking the journey to an exotic country to learn how to code with Ruby on the Beach I would definitely say yes!

"The way to learn"

We often overestimate our ability to learn, and on the other side, teachers overestimate their students’ capacity to pay attention.

This so called ‘burnout’ is the cancer of learning. It’s lurking quietly in the classroom, and no one knows when, and if... Read More

I know burnout alright. I dropped out of college 15 years ago because of this. Of course, I didn’t know it was the burnout then, but I know that if the learning environment was even half of what Ruby on The Code offers, I’d probably still be in school doing a post graduate program of some sort.

RoTB’s curriculum is succinct, and relevant. Schedules were organized wisely that in the of the 9th week, I and many people in the program was in the opinion of "we could use another 2-3 weeks."

On the flip side, Bali as a home base for such bootcamps is a two-edged sword. Being in such a good place means that your time outside class fights with your desire to go and see things. So does being in a classroom at a well-occupied co-working space; your time working is being constantly challenged by the great social interactions it offers.

But Bali is a positive, super easy place to live. Things are relatively inexpensive, people are friendly, while the sun and the moon shines through the blue tropical sky. That feeling of awesomeness is a great agent of change, one that could perhaps sets you on your way on becoming a software developer.

• Robert S.

"Great experience."

Learning programming on my own has been difficult. I did not have enough understanding of core programming principles and could not find help when I would get stuck on a problem. Lucky for me I came across a memo at HUBUD regarding an upcoming programming... Read More

11/1/2014
  • Arie Krishna Prabu | Student
  • Graduated: 2014

"I'm in love with web development because of this."

I'm a java developer and usually build desktop apps. Before I hated web development because of I'm too used to java and not comfortable with html, css and php.
But RoR (Ruby on Rails) makes it all easier. It's all about framework, at first it is hard to... Read More

This is course is great for locals, especially Balinese. You're not just learning programming, but you're speaking english every day and that is good practice to improve you're language skill. Learn to communicate or work as team. And the most importantly, learn how to be a DIGITAL NOMAD at HUBUD!!!!!

Ruby On The Beach's average rating is 4.4 out of 5.0 based on 5 review(s).