School of Devs - CLOSED

About School of Devs

Please note: This school is closed and is no longer accepting students. The SwitchUp team no longer monitors this page for updates, but historical information is available for reference.

is a 10-week, full-time program set in the PeopleSpace coworking... Read More

School of Devs Reviews

Overall

1.2/5

9/17/2015
  • Full Stack Jr. Web Developer Bootcamp

"Ounie Phakousonh is a Scam Artist"

Ounie Phakousonh has no idea what hes doing and has burned bridges all over the OC tech industry. Stay away form this guy.

8/18/2015
  • Ryan Heiserman

"Second Chance"

If you were unfortunate enough to attend this school please contact us at orangecountycodeschool.com

We will discount the tuition for those that have paid for attending scam "code schools" such as these to provide them with a second chance at getting the... Read More

6/18/2015
  • DONT GO HERE
  • Graduated: 2015

"DONT GO TO THIS SCHOOL, SCAM AND WASTE OF TIME"

@scammed review is exactly what would happen. very unorganized. Adam the teacher would drink at lunch time, always be late, and just waste time or work on his own stuff sometimes. SOD had no preparation at all. THEY ARE A SCAM! They know the scammed people... Read More

Ounie can talk the talk, but in the end he's a joke and a scam.

Just save yourself the trouble, another go to another school.

4/23/2015
  • scammed
  • Graduated: 2015

"Horrible, look for another program"

To say that I was disappointed with this program is an understatement. I tend to look at things from a "whats the worst case scenario? Well, whatever happens has to be better thant THAT" perspective. Unfortunately, this was one of the few times where... Read More

Location

Initially it was supposed to be at an office space in a business park in Irvine. We were to have 24/7 access to the facility. 5 days before the start of the cohort, and weeks after we all paid for the class, we find out that they're chaning venues. Now, it's at a church in Newport Beach. We no longer had 24/7 access as promised. In fact, due to the habitual lateness of the staff, we have had to wait past the 9:30AM start time, locked out of the facility. We were never given keys to be able to access the facility when we wanted to. It was uncomfortable for me to have the reverand of the church walk by with other church affliated people to seemingly watch and discuss our class.

I paid to be taught to be a developer, and I paid for it to happen at a professional setting. Now I'm being "taught (if you could call it that...)" in a church and apparently we are not part of their PR. I was extremely uncomforable when they mentioned "We can't wait to see what you'll do for us", making me wonder what the deal was that led to the school being at the church.

The bigger issue though is that there was no communication prior to the change that there would even BE a change. There was one student who moved to Irvine from LA with the explicit purpose and understanding that the school would be in Irivine. It was absolutely disrespectful to him and others to not even mention, less than month before it happened, that they were thinking of moving venues.

Instruction

At the info session, we were promised two full time instructors and a number of TA's. In truth, we had 1 full time instructor and 1 TA for first 3 weeks.

We were also promised no more than 1 to 8 teacher-student ratio from the director of the program, Ounie. In the end, if you factor in the TA it fluctuated between 1 to 13 or 1 to 26.

Our teacher, Adam, is unfortunately not cut out for teaching. He's habitually late, he doesn't seem to have any lesson plans or materials, drinks during 2 hour lunches leaving people waiting for him to get back. The drinking can be forgiven if he was able to teach effectively but either due to a lack of time to prepare, laziness or a lack of supervision on the curriculum from the director, he was unable to present ideas in a coherent manner or any course materials. He would go on tangents referencing topics that are far above what most of us had any idea about, using terminology we had never heard before without explaining it, and expecting us to follow and understand. We had students who had previous experience at front end development telling us they couldn't understand what he was saying.

Ounie told us this program was for beginners, but someone failed to tell Adam that.

Most damning is how little we coded. It was mostly looking at big, giant blocks of code and having it explained so quickly we couldn't keep up. And then we'd move to the next one, the next one, and then hey, you have a 2 days to complete this project creating a POS system with user authentication and a shopping cart when the most you've coded up to that point was var = animal and then giving that animal a name, feet and color!

During this period our TA Sylvester was a godsend. He knew how to break things down into their component parts, explain it, and then build on it. If it wasn't for him about 10 of the original 26 would have never learned to code before dropping out. Unfortunately, he was unable to come after week 3. We had heard there was disagreement over his teaching style, that he was focusing too much on the basics (which most students didn't have because we hadn't been properly taught up to that point), but I never had confirmation from anyone.

We confronted Ounie about all the problems in the school at the end of week 3, and he promised us everything we wanted and the moon. We were hopeful that things will improve when we discovered that he had hired Ron, an actual experienced industry professional. He was able to get many of us caught up in javascript to the point where we can READ javascript and explain what was happening. With Ron as our teacher, we were even willing to overlook the previous 3 weeks due to how effectively he was teaching us. Unfortunately, it wasn't to last. 2 weeks from when he started, we found out that the director, Ounie, stopped paying him and thus Ron would no longer be coming. That we were able to make simple full stack apps at that point was a testament to Ron's ablility to teach. But we weren't ready, and we had been promised that he would be teaching at least a month by Ounie. Many left at this point.

Adam resumed teaching. The first two days were spent trying to get yeoman working on our computers. Yeoman is a framework that takes maybe 5 minutes at the very latest to set up if you know what you are doing. It took Adam 7 hours to get it working on everyone's computer...

At this point, the remaining students decided they would be better off teaching themselves. They moved to another room and students would research and present topics individually. Students, who had paid for full time programming instruction, were now left to fend for themselves and teach each other. And the sad part is, this was far more effective than what they were "taught" by our actual main instructor.

To Conclude

School of Devs is bad program. If this was the first failed cohort, it would be somewhat forgiveable. It's not. It's the 3rd, out of 4, that failed. Only the first cohort was a success and that was due to the presence of a dedicated teaching staff. Since then, School of Devs has changed instructors and location every cohort. Instead of learning from their mistake, they seem to keep repeating it over and over, taking tens of thousands of dollars from hopeful students in the process. Last I heard, Ounie was making his brother the new director of the school. This might be a sign he's trying to improve it, recognizing he hasn't been able to run a school. Or maybe he's trying to distance himself from it and rebrand so reviews won't follow it.

Either way, use EXTREME caution with this course. They will promise you the world at the info session. They'll say they have a dedicated staff to teach you. That you'll have mentors available to advise and help you. That any beginner would be able to keep up with their program.

These were all false.

ANYTHING that School of Devs promises you, get in writing on the spot before any money changes hand. They don't like to leave records so they'll verbally promise you things and then not follow through. If they say "Oh I'll send it to you later", you need to say "No, I want in writing now." Especially in regards to any money changing hands, follow through on this. They'll promise to send you a contract later. They wont.

This was a consistent problem for us. We didn't even get a freaking contract to look at. We never got a syllabus. And they change their website quite frequently to reflect what's happening so take screenshots and timestamp it.

If you must go to School of Devs, make sure you are protected with EVERY promise in writing, with a clear refund policy of when you can get one (say, such as when they don't have teachers, mentors, location access, etc that they promised as happened to us).

But I will say this. I paid for industry professionals to teach me. I got a 23 year old contractor who has never worked in a full time capacity. I paid for instruction from 9:30 - 5:30, 5 days a week. Classes would often start between 10:00 and 10:30, instructor would be gone 2 hour plus lunches and we'd left waiting for someone to finally return. We were promised mentors after 6PM to help us. Instead, our "mentors" only came about 3 times total, and most had no idea they were mentors. One guy in particular was listed as a mentor on the info session slides, and he was surprised since no one told him about it.

Basically, every promise that we had paid for was broken by this school.

It's better to be safe and just not go here. There are better options even in Orange County.

3/31/2015
  • Graduated: 2015

"Extremely Unorganized. No preparation or lesson plans. Several students are filing for chargeback on their credit card."

Short version:

I know at least 5 students filing for chargeback with their credit card companies. The class was extremely disorganized with a bad teacher who couldn’t prepare a lesson plan before class or make it on time to class and then later on an... Read More

Unless the school could produce a syllabus with resources and lesson plans on it as well as a teacher who is a responsible enough to prepare exercises and daily lesson plans, DON’T GO.

Long Version:

I’m from the 4th cohort of School of Devs. I heard the first one went well as instructors had a lot of experience and came from General Assembly. I heard that the second cohort ended weeks before it should have and the third lasted maybe 2 weeks but since everyone was preoccupied with the holidays in winter, it didn’t last. So now onto my cohort.

We started in Jan, and I would say we started off with about 26 people perhaps on a payment of plan of either paying $12,500 or another option that most people took of paying $2,500 + 15% of your first year’s salary.

Unprepared Teacher

The first week, I found our class wasting at least 6 hours throughout the first few days installing programs (Sublime, WebStorm, SourceTree, HipChat). Although the teacher could have just told us what to download beforehand, he couldn’t even prepare a day in advance. There seemed like no preparation for our class and no syllabus was ever provided despite multiple students asking for it multiple times. The teacher kept telling us to ask the director for it.

Our teacher, Adam, would come to class consistently late with an excuse that he doesn’t have a car so has to wait for a ride, who was another student and his friend in the class. Not only that, he would come back from lunches late as well, sometimes drinking beer during lunch. It wasn’t fair to the students who PAID for the class and came on time.

Also, when he would troubleshoot a person’s computer issue or code, I’ve seen him spend up to 2 hours on it, and forget about the rest of the class with nothing assigned to do, in essence wasting everyone else’s time instead of sticking to a schedule and moving forward.

When we would ask questions, he had a tendency to answer a different question, and told us to go online and look for the answers for ourselves and ask our classmates before asking him, which defeats the purpose of paying for the class in my opinion. When we asked him for examples, he rarely had any prepared and he would respond with, “it depends on what you’re doing and you have to know what you’re doing first,” leaving most of us confused still. When he would lecture, he would quickly go over concepts and use a lot of terminology that he never taught us and rarely did he have us code along. I think we all finally gave up listening to him and instead would ask the teaching assistant for a lot of help to learn or look up online tutorials because they were more understandable than he was. I don’t think he realized that the school was for beginners.

Excellent Teaching Assistant

We had an excellent teaching assistant named Sylvester for the first part of the class learning HTML, CSS, and Angular who reviewed with the students, answered our questions, drew diagrams and pictures on the board, and coded along with us so we could understand the concepts being taught. He was probably the reason most of us got HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Angular.

The Talk

The third week in, the students met with the director, Ounie, as a group and individually to voice their concerns about how unhappy we were with the lack of teaching by the teacher and how unprepared and disorganized the class was. Most days were not planned and it seemed like the teacher was just going in and “winging it.”

After our talk, Ounie reviewed some Javascript foundation with us for a few days and then hired an industry professional, Ron Perris, to teach us for the remaining 4 weeks of the course to teach us Node, Express, MongoDB. However, a week and a half into the class, Ron told us that he might not come back the next day because he hadn’t been paid on time by the director, Ounie. Ounie and Ron had agreed on a 4 week contract for a specific sum of money that Ounie proposed, but now Ounie wasn’t paying Ron on time. Furthermore, 2 days later, Ounie announces to the class that Ron is gone because he can’t afford to pay him. What? How do you hire someone and not know how much they are going to cost. You don’t hire someone you can’t afford and those numbers were discussed in the beginning. The other students and I were in shock…we thought the class was turning around.

Discounts and Chargebacks

I think Ounie knew how royally he f***** up so he said that we no longer had to pay the 15% of first year’s salary. Then back to Adam teaching us or just helping us as we work on “projects” or do whatever we want (still no lesson plan), and Ounie coming in a few days a week to lecture. I know at least 5 students filing for a chargeback on their credit card.

A lot of the class consisted of motivated students looking for resources online, asking each other, and then eventually even getting together to present topics they know or have researched for each other (Yeoman template, SEO, Wordpress, etc.). Although I have learned a lot, I definitely could have learned more, and this was really disappointing how little effort and organization was put into this class, especially since it’s a paid class that people left their jobs for to devote to full-time for 12 weeks.

School of Devs's average rating is 1.2 out of 5.0 based on 5 review(s).