Zipfian Academy - CLOSED

Courses: Data Engineering 12-Week Immersive at gSchool, Data Science 12-Week Immersive at gSchool, +-5 more.
Data Science 12-Week Immersive at gSchool

San Francisco, +-6 more.
San Francisco.

About Zipfian Academy

Please note: This school is closed and is no longer accepting students. The SwitchUp team no longer monitors this page for updates, but historical information is available for reference.

Please note, Zipfian was acquired by Galvanize in 2014. Check out Galvanize on SwitchUp

Zipfian Academy trains data scientists, data engineers, and analysts. Through immersive education and professional fellowships, our hands-on programs teach practical... Read More

Our 12-week Data Science Immersive and 12-week Data Engineering Immersive programs provide a transition into data science and engineering roles in industry. Designed for individuals with quantitative backgrounds, our students solve problems with real world data sets. The immersive programs include 8 weeks of professional instruction, 1-on-1 mentorship from industry partners, a personal capstone project, and a Hiring Day where participants interview with 20+ companies. Graduates of Zipfian Academy join data teams at Facebook, Tesla Motors, and many data-centric startups in Silicon Valley.

In November of 2014, we joined gSchool, the immersive education arm of Galvanize. We provide a structured space, assistance with capstone projects, mentorship, and a lifelong network of data professionals to depend on in a beautiful campus in the heart of SOMA.

Data Engineering 12-Week Immersive at gSchool

• Cost: $16,000 - $16,000
Locations: San Francisco

Have a background in software engineering and want to take the next step? This course prepares individuals with technical backgrounds to build, manage, and architect systems to deal with Big Data. We cover the latest technologies used at top technology companies in Silicon Valley. Students cover 8 weeks of intense structured curriculum, building a series of projects with industry mentors. The program includes building a capstone project, focus on effective communication, interview coaching and practice, and interviews with 20+ companies hiring Data Engineers.

This course is planned for late 2015, but course dates have not been confirmed.

Subjects: Data Science

Data Science 12-Week Immersive at gSchool

• Cost: $16,000 - $16,000
Locations: San Francisco

Zipfian Academy is now part of gSchool. Visit www.galvanize.it for more information.

This program teaches both the hard and soft skills needed for a data science career in industry. Students complete 8 weeks of intense structured curriculum, building a series of projects and picking up the practical skills desired by hiring partners. The course also includes capstone projects, interview coaching & practice, and introductions to hiring partners.

Subjects: Data Science

Zipfian Academy Reviews

Overall

5.0/5

2/4/2015
  • Paul Minton
  • Data Engineering 12-Week Immersive at gSchool

"I was in Zipfian Academy's first cohort and I think it was worth every penny"

I was in Zipfian Academy's first cohort and I think it was worth every penny. Jonathan, Ryan, and the rest of the team provided high quality instruction and guidance on even the newest technologies that I now use every day. They also coached me on how... Read More

2/4/2015
  • Frank Taylor
  • Data Engineering 12-Week Immersive at gSchool

"Zipfian gave me the confidence to go in and rock all my interviews."

When I made the choice to make a career pivot into big data, I had a lot of challenges having been outside of any programming or development in many years. Zipfian was perfect for someone like myself. I had the skills but lacked the industry know-how... Read More

The program is intense so be ready to give over your life for most of the 12 weeks. But on average, I learned more at Zipfian in any given 30 minute window than I would in a week at University. You can often receive answers when you're mumbling out loud and a classmate or instructor hears you! Having real people around you is a huge advantage to anything you will ever do online. No joke! A lot of that has to do with the boot camp environment, all day sprints that really take you into the night :). You have a team of 15 or so classmates doing the exact same thing at the same time. You are mimicking a job environment in the way you are immersed in the projects. The other aspect was being constantly surrounded by such knowledgeable people. Jonathan has to be one of the most patient and skilled instructors. Same can be said for Ryan, Oren. They also bring regular guests to speak, teach, and do presentations. The networking aspect was very valuable.

As far as job placement, I can only speak for myself. I had various offers and was signed and ready to go before we even graduated. Zipfian gave me the confidence to go in and rock all my interviews. I highly recommend it as long as you have the prereqs under your belt. I had them and still felt very challenged. Good luck!

1/23/2015
  • Jonathan La

"Amazing"

This changed my life! I went from a phd dropout to making 6-figures at a top tech company. Can't say more other than - you should check it out!

Zipfian Academy's average rating is 5.0 out of 5.0 based on 3 review(s).