Alchemy Code Lab

Courses: Developer 101: Intro to Web Developer Tools and Technologies, Professional Software Development in Advanced Full Stack JavaScript

Portland

About Alchemy Code Lab

Alchemy Code Lab is Portland’s most advanced software development training program, going beyond code school to develop the whole person, including comprehensive career services that consistently place grads directly into mid-level developer positions... Read More

Our course offerings evolve constantly to reflect innovations in software development. Students hit the ground running with the most current toolsets in the field. You’ll collaborate with experts and organizations in Portland's tech community, providing insider access to the industry nationally.

This six-month immersive program is led daily by senior level developers. Every day, you’ll interact with a curious, bring cohort of future developers to gain the technical and interpersonal skills you need to be a valuable member of a professional team.

Our holistic approach to teaching offers not just the ability to solve problems, but teaches future developers and engineers how to produce quality code that can build products with meaningful impact. The team at Alchemy lives what they teach, supporting each other in passion projects and creative endeavors.

Alchemy drives real opportunity and diversity in tech by providing tuition financing opportunities including scholarships for BIPOC and LGBTQ+ students, acceptance of US Veteran Benefits, and an ISA program that can allow you to defer payment until after you’ve been working for 6 months.

Developer 101: Intro to Web Developer Tools and Technologies

• Cost: Free
  • Duration: 1 week
Locations: Portland

In this free, optional prep class learn the tools and workflows of modern web development and get the context you won’t find in online exercises and tutorials.

● Get your computer set up and begin to use real development tools
● Learn how to store your code in the Cloud using git and GitHub
● Understand why HTML, CSS, and JavaScript matter and how they work together to make the web work
● Experience a collaborative environment and see how developers ask questions to learn

Subjects: CSS, HTML, JavaScript, Web Development

Professional Software Development in Advanced Full Stack JavaScript

• Cost: $24,000
Locations: Portland

CODE 102: Being a Developer: Tools, Technologies and Learning
Duration: 1 week

Get familiar with the nuts and bolts of the tools of modern software development and get accustomed to the pace and learning style of our rigorous program.
● Computer set up and execution of key workflows with VSCode, Terminal, and Git
● Tips, tricks, and shortcuts of the computer as a developer tool
● Practice HTML and CSS layout techniques by replicating existing designs
● Intro to professional testing and refactoring techniques for JavaScript
● Debugging and system validation in the browser
● Group collaboration in a remote environment, including branching, merging and pull requests
● Adapt to working as part of a team where everyone succeeds
● Adopt a mindset of continual learning as a software developer

CODE 201: Fundamentals of Software Development
Duration: 4 weeks

By the end of Code 201, you will be able to:
● Define the structure of a web page using the semantic hierarchical structural conventions of HTML5
● Apply CSS and HTML to implement page layout styles, including grid, fluid, & responsive techniques -- and style content with color, typography, and images
● Use JavaScript to control the Document Object Model (DOM) of the browser to make interactive web projects that display content dynamically based on data and respond to user input and events
● Utilize Test-Driven Development (TDD) with qUnit to create tested, verified functions through unit testing that enforces correct code behavior, including Continuous Integration (CI) testing in the cloud.
● Write JavaScript code that is efficient, error-free, and able to pass a code linter
● Use the development tools with the Chrome browser to inspect and adapt your code
● Adopt standard control tools and workflows -- including Git, GitHub, and VSCode -- to write functional, properly styled code and collaborate efficiently and harmoniously in professional environments

CODE 301: Intermediate Software Development
Duration: 4 weeks

After completing Code 301, you will be able to:
● Design and create a web applications using React JSX-templating, components, and basic state management techniques
● Explain the fundamentals of how the World Wide Web works, over the internet
● Navigate and utilize asynchronous programming for communication between the browser, web server, third-party APIs, and the database
● Use NodeJS and ExpressJS to build a web server
● Design dynamic frontend and backend applications which can function together or independently and are deployed to cloud platforms
● Utilize SQL to effectively read and write data using a Postgres database, persisting one-to-many relational data across multiple tables in a SQL database, sourced from third-party API or user-generated content.
● Work with string, array, and object data structures and algorithms to solve code challenges with pure JavaScript programming.
● Utilize dependency management techniques to build with third-party libraries
● Follow agile software development practices during week-long sprints, including pair-programming, stand-ups, daily retrospectives, project management with Kanban boards, regular refactoring, and working in a shared code base.
● Be fully prepared for Code 401 in Full Stack JavaScript development

CODE 401: Advanced Software Development in Full Stack JavaScript
Duration: 14 week

Upon completion of the this course, you will:
● Be able to build and contribute to server-side and client-side applications, using architectures and framework that promote maintainability, scalability, and collaboration.
These skills will be fully demonstrated during project week during their team development of a prototype, adhering to industry best practices and patterns
● Gain professional proficiency with ExpressJS, NodeJS, Authentication and Authorization, advanced SQL, , React, Redux, and React Hooks
● Integrate and leverage third-party ecosystems systems like Twitter, Twilio, and Slack to extend the reach of your applications.
● Apply Computer Science fundamentals in analyzing the trade-offs between competing solutions when choosing algorithms and JavaScript coding patterns and practices that do not degrade the performance or functionality of the application
● Establish a compelling online brand, network, and resume featuring the professional software development knowledge, experience, habits, and practices you have gained
● Demonstrate your skill and understanding in mock and personal and technical interviews, and drive a successful search for your job as a Full Stack JavaScript or Front End Web Development

Subjects: CSS, Git, Github, MongoDB, Product Mgmt, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Agile, Redux, React.js, SQL, Algorithms, Node.js, Database Design, Express.js, JavaScript, Data Structures, REST

Alchemy Code Lab Reviews

Overall

4.98/5

2/24/2020
  • Alex Ramirez de Cruz

"Incredible Program!"

I researched very diligently when I decided to make this career change, and Alchemy was at the top of my list not only for their in depth program and their ability to remain agile and add to the curriculum as trends in technology change, but also for... Read More

1/14/2020
  • Easton Gorishek

"Accelerate into tech."

I joined Alchemy Code Lab with no prior programming experience and no undergraduate. I was sort of the free spirit type who travelled and held various types of jobs. I mention this because it does not matter what your background is - if you commit and... Read More

The school provides an excellent learning environment and an amazing community. It's open, bright, filled with plants, offers a variety of sitting arrangements, and located in a cool location. Beyond the facility you'll be surrounded with an amazing team that is passionate, knowledgable, kind, and there to provide the education and resources needed to reach your goal of becoming a software developer. Within the six months you'll go from not knowing how to open your terminal to writing full-fledged full-stack web applications that incorporate frameworks, component architecture, testing, servers, databases, and APIs. I can personally state that you'll leave with the skillset to contribute day one on the job, and have a solid foundation to continually build upon. Not only will you leave with the ability to build web applications, but you'll receive invaluable insight and resources on how to market yourself, network, and interview.

Lastly - I'll mention, for your success, it's important you are in a situation you can fully commit to the time obligations and are mentally in a place where you want to be challenged, continuously learn, solve puzzles, and change your life. The program moves quick and you'll most likely experience highs and lows. That being said - it's DOABLE and well worth the grind. Alchemy Code Lab has helped many lives (mine included) accelerate in obtaining rewarding careers in tech - now it's time they help accelerate yours. Best of luck!

12/21/2019
  • Jack McConnell
  • Graduated: 2019

"Great place to learn and immerse oneself in the PDX tech community!"

My experience might be a bit different from some others who traditionally come through Alchemy Code Lab’s program. I had recently graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science when I had to take some time off from programming in order to focus on a health... Read More

Even with a programming background, I was encouraged to start from the beginning with Alchemy’s curriculum and I’m glad I listened. Within the first week of the program I was already being introduced to test driven development, which was something that hadn’t been touched on in college and ended up being really valuable to use and talk about during interviews. Trying to pick up concepts like that while being introduced to something like Node or React would have been quite a bit more difficult than while we were learning the basics of JS. The instructional staff is really great. Alchemy has some very experienced industry professionals teaching, who are super passionate about the students. One of the most valuable parts about Alchemy Code Lab was the amount of time spent working on projects with your peers. Building projects is one of the best ways I learn things and I was often able to draw on my experiences working with my peers during interviews.

Alchemy also provides a lot of non technical opportunities and education as well. During the Career Track, there is a Career Week where the students learn all about the job hunt from industry professionals who are often graduates of the program. From the beginning students are heavily encouraged to explore the tech meetups in Portland to grow their network. Alchemy does a lot to help with this by hosting tech meetups in their space after class is over. They also host monthly socials for current students, graduates and employers in the area. Talking with other engineers about their experience was really valuable for me and only made the job search and interview process easier. Alchemy was able to do a lot for me during my job hunt from scheduling mock interviews, to introducing me to hiring managers or recent graduates to network with.

I just recently accepted an offer as an Associate Software Engineer a few months after graduating and if I could go back in time, I would still make the same decision to attend Alchemy Code Lab. I learned a lot of really valuable things and made great connections with some wonderful people.

12/13/2019
  • Mark Greenwood
  • Graduated: 2017

"Great code school experience, very solid preparation"

When I transitioned into software development I evaluated several code schools available in Portland, and chose Alchemy. It was definitely the right choice for me, and the best thing I've done for my career satisfaction.

I talked with people at Alchemy... Read More

First, Alchemy provides instruction (in addition to lab and project work) from industry-experienced developers. While self-study and learning from peers are great things to do, experienced developers have valuable knowledge to share. For example, one thing prospective employers are often concerned about is the ability to write not just code that works, but code that's suitable for production in a large-scale application. It's very beneficial to have coaching from someone who's been on enough projects to impart that knowledge and wisdom.

Second, Alchemy focuses on full-stack JavaScript development, not a broad overview of technologies. While most developers will learn multiple stacks in their careers, they can learn best by getting a good foundation with the whole process in one stack and then later applying that knowledge to others. The focus on Node, React, etc. enabled me to be immediately productive in both jobs I've had since graduating, even though I've learned other stacks since then.

Third, your time at Alchemy will be split between classroom instruction, lab work, and group projects. The labs and projects are great opportunities to work collaboratively on a codebase, and the skills (technical as well as interpersonal) to do that are critical on real software development teams.

Finally, Alchemy provides guidance and assistance not just with technical education, but also with the whole process of finding opportunities and managing your development career. The decent-sized cohorts provide a great "starter network" of people who are or will be working in the software community in Portland. And Alchemy provides guidance on interview preparation, the tools for the job search, and how to deal with the offers you receive.

While the job search is always a potentially stressful experience, I can attest to Alchemy's placement track record. This is a field with very high demand, and graduates are certainly finding work that pays quite well. I've continued to be involved with Alchemy's students - networking, mock interviewing, mentoring - and they are certainly well-prepared to venture out into the industry and make their valuable contributions.

11/12/2019
  • Henry Oliveira
  • Graduated: 2018

"Best thing I've ever done for myself"

I decided to pursue programming as a career because I lacked mental stimulation and the ability to make an impact in my day to day job. I researched all the bootcamps in the Portland area and it took one conversation with Megan, the school director to... Read More

11/7/2019
  • Susan Puckett
  • Graduated: 2019

"Great place to learn to code collaboratively and gain job-hunt skills"

Coming from a microbiology background in academia and transitioning to coding, I learned a ton of things at Alchemy that I didn’t learn in a traditional school setting or coding by myself online. For example, I learned how to code using agile practices... Read More

Alchemy gave me the knowledge and confidence to get and perform well in job interviews. My Alchemy experience allowed me to have a much better idea of the salary I could ask for. Shannon was such a positive support throughout the process that I always felt someone had my back. Both Megan and Marty also provided invaluable support and advice even after I completed the program.

A huge plus was the Alchemy community. My fellow cohort (19 people total) was such an interesting and wonderful group of people from all different backgrounds and ages. A highlight of my experience was mob programming with them, in groups of 3-5. The TAs were graduates of the program and also provided emotional as well as instructional support.

It is a big money investment and there are times when you feel the collective struggles of the group and individuals. There are times when you may struggle a lot yourself. It’s not easy, and outsiders (like your friends and family) may not understand what you are going through. However, I found it to be a huge personal growth experience that has paid off. I just accepted a job offer (with higher salary than I have ever made before) this past week, and I am so excited to continue to code because I feel like I can actually contribute and excel at it.

11/6/2019
  • Tyler Corbett
  • Graduated: 2019

"I wish I came here instead of going to college"

I've attended regular college in the past but Alchemy takes education to a whole new level.

In just 6 months I went from someone who knew next to nothing about software to having in depth conversations with industry veterans.

I had the chance to work in... Read More

Not only that but I had help from their career consular to help me get hired. Shannon doesn't just give you tips on your resume - she gets you interviews.

I remember reading these reviews before considering joining the program just like you're doing. I would highly recommend the program to literally anyone.

10/21/2019
  • Dirt Deodara
  • Graduated: 2019

"Life changing...in a good way."

I came into this school with no experience in coding or programming of any kind. I had all kinds of self doubt and general fear about entering into a completely unfamiliar field. I was met with a compassionate and empathetic faculty that has created an... Read More

10/17/2019
  • Noah Puckett
  • Graduated: 2019

"Difficult, but incredibly rewarding"

I come from a background with no formal education-- not even kindergarten-- and Alchemy was recommended to me by a few graduates who were both satisfied with their education and employed in jobs they loved. It was an incredible journey that tested my... Read More

7/29/2019
  • Lance Merrill | Software Engineer

"Best bootcamp in PDX"

10/10 would attend again. Best bootcamp in Portland and probably the PWN. The program is twice as long as most other bootcamps and because of that I was competent/confident when I entered a software engineering position.

Alchemy Code Lab's average rating is 4.98 out of 5.0 based on 54 review(s).