Codecademy

Courses: Codecademy Pro, Codecademy Pro INTENSIVE, Pro Intensive: Introduction to Data Analysis, +-4 more.

Online,

About Codecademy

Codecademy is an online interactive platform that offers free and low cost coding classes in web development, programming, computer science, and data science.

Codecademy courses are promoted as "One Day, One New Skill", and most free courses take fewer... Read More

Codecademy Pro

• Cost: $20 - $20

With Codecademy Pro, students will have access to all Codecademy courses plus:
- Access live technical support from professional developers
- access to quizzes at the end of each unit. Test your knowledge with quizzes and get expert tips from Codecademy's team of advisors.
- project challenges for each unit so you can actually apply what you've learned. Codecademy Pro gives instant access to every project in the catalog.
- Customizable path: Commit to a personalized learning path of key skills to master. Track your progress, customize your path, and work your way towards a professional skillset.

Codecademy Pro is 19.99/month, with a 14-day refund: If you're a first-time subscriber and you don't love Codecademy Pro, you can cancel your subscription within 14 days for a full refund. No questions asked.

Codecademy Pro INTENSIVE

• Cost: $200 - $200
Locations: Online

Codecademy Pro Intensives are accelerated, high-touch programs that teach you job-ready skills fast.
Students will have access to everyone in Codecademy Pro, as well as:

- Build real-world projects using professional tools
- Get your projects reviewed by real developers, with professional feedback on your project code
- a rigorous curriculum and set schedule
- Graduate with certification and a portfolio of projects
- Learn with a community of peers, advisors, and mentors

Students can also add more guidance and accountability with a mentor-led learning experience, with the option to attend weekly 1-on-1s with a professional developer mentor who can pair-program on projects and offer expert guidance and feedback. Additionally, attend mentor breakout sessions to learn about technical interviews, designing your own portfolio, career advancement & planning, and many other topics.

Subjects: CSS, HTML, Ruby, JavaScript

• Cost: $199 - $199
Locations: Online

In this 10 week course, students will learn hypothesis & A/B testing, SQL that allows you to query databases, data visualization basics, and simple, yet sound analysis techniques. Participants will recieve Codecademy Advisor Support via Live Chat, access to private Slack Community, and a Codecademy Certification.

Students will also be challenged to:
- Develop valuable expertise in SQL, NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, Matplotlib, and Python.
- Learn how to organize data, conduct analysis, and interpret findings to produce business-critical insights.
- Move into advanced queries with Data Acquisition with SQL
- Comparative Statistics with Scipy
- Design A/B tests and prove significance to make data-driven decisions
- Build 3 Real-World Projects

Applicants should be prepared to spend 10+ hours per week focused on the course, and have knowledge of pre-algebra (averages, basic conversions and numeracy). This Intensive is available only in English.

Subjects: SQL, Algorithms, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Science

Codecademy Reviews

Overall

3.24/5

9/14/2020
  • Anonymous | Product Manager
  • Graduated: 2020

"Love the idea, hate the execution"

I'll start by saying I love the idea of Codecademy and the curriculum list is very extensive! However the long laundry list bugs (including the code editor not even running in Firefox or Chrome) coupled with the high price have definitely soured me on... Read More

3/14/2020
  • Codecademy Pro
  • Graduated: 2020

"Serious issues with the Codecademy Data Science Path"

Caveat #1: Codecademy's very clear they don't offer job support, so I just gave it three stars in lieu of N/A. At the end of the Codecademy Data Science path you're about 2% of the way to being employable, so it's not even really relevant.

Caveat #2: I'm... Read More

Caveat #3: In spite of not loving the Codecademy program, I like to finish things I start, so you're reading a review from someone who did the Data Science Path from start to finish, finishing about 85-90% of the material.

There are some things Codecademy does well in terms of curriculum. I thought the SQL and Python 2 lists, loops, and functions lessons were written pretty well. Beyond that, other than the occassional good module, the lessons were (#1) incredibly tedious, repeditive, and time-wasting (#2) failed to build on skills over time, opting to leave concepts behind after they'd been explained once. Once you got to a project down the line, you'd return to concepts you hadn't used for days or weeks as if you'd just learned them. This means that when you (#3) get to the challenge projects, they're simply out of reach, even with a lot of google searching and time on stack overflow. This would be the case even if the curriculum was better written, because there's sometimes a really significant gap in terms of skill level between the most challenging lessons and the easiest projects.

This leads me to the single most frustrating aspect of Codecademy, which is that they constantly point back to the forums in case users have more questions. Usually the FAQs they point to (and the forums in general when searched for a particular lesson) are 100% empty. This makes sense — why would people who have finished the path stick around to help other people muddle through basics? I can imagine an alternative world where people are somehow incentivised to do that, but it's certainly not the case currently. The CodeCademy forums were, from my experience, useless, and that fact was really incriminating given how front in center Codecademy put them in terms of posting projects and getting extra help.

I don't think the lessons that are well written are alone worth even a month's subscription to Pro — I think they might even be available for free. I've been dabbling in Dataquest a little bit for the past week, and I can absolutely recommend it over Codecademy, no hesitations, just in terms of quality of the content.

9/26/2019
  • Ian Lasa
  • Graduated: 2019

"SALES PEOPLE NOT CAREER PEOPLE"

The prices are a lot less when bought from the vendor directly.

The Learning People use old content which looks worse than a stolen YouTube copy.

The sales people will tell you anything, salary expectations, completion times are all false. These courses... Read More

The support and CV team are staff and not professionals.

The company will take your money and after the 14 days guarantee is over they will forget you.

I have also seen this company has legal proceedings on them so may close and take your money.

7/29/2019
  • Graduated: 2019

"SQL Class Super Helpful"

I've used training platforms before but found Codecademy's platform perfect for me and how I learn best (learn-by-doing). I've already recommended the course to several of my friends.

7/27/2019
  • Codecademy Pro
  • Graduated: 2019

"Error filled curriculum and poor customer policies"

I went through the web development path with a bit of prior knowledge. I found about 1/4 of the lessons to have an error about what they were teaching. Many were typos and a handful were just outdated or incorrect. I kept using their bug reporting and... Read More

Just like others below I had a subscription accidently charged and tried to cancel it on the same day of the charge. I got a quick, generic response telling me that the policy doesn't allow for any refunds at all. They'd rather have a bunch of angry customers like me (see below) than provide effective tools to learn programming.

3/12/2019
  • Anonymous | People Operations Associate
  • Graduated: 2019

"The service was good but their customer support was so poor, my entire opinion of the program changed."

I recently graduated with a finance degree but am looking to continue developing my coding abilities. At first glance, I thought codecademy was a great way to advance my desired skills. I tried the service for a week and it was great. At the time, I didn't... Read More

1/23/2019

"Skips Steps"

There's a lot to love about Code Academy. There's also a lot to be desired.

Pros: Built in interface for 90% of it. You just need your browser.

Cons: Terrible instructions for obtaining and using coding software. Also, makes occasional quantum leaps and... Read More

12/21/2018
  • Christopher T
  • Graduated: 2018

"Poor customer service and sketchy subscription with the intensive course"

I purchased an intensive course. At first it was great, however, the first real project would not run on my computer, even with the completed code downloaded from the site. I spoke to 5 customer support representatives before the problem was even acknowledged.... Read More

11/29/2018
  • Graduated: 2018

"Midland University Code Academy . Please protect yourself and your money."

Weekly one on one mentors as the Code Academy Website stated never happened. We met two mentors in person once each in class and never saw them again. Another two mentors were introduced via video chats and we never saw them again either.
We were never... Read More

We were told that the program would be accredited and that credits would be given for the program. We later learned that the process for accreditation was never even started and would never be pursued at all.

The instructors though sweet and kind have no teaching experience at all. Wow, we paid $12,000 for this bootcamp!

Based on the excellent reputation of Midland University we were lead to believe that the Midland Code Academy was a high-quality program that was backed by the University under the umbrella of its policies and would provide a learning environment that enhances academic excellence and integrity. However, there was no follow-through on the goals, as we do not have the skills, portfolios, or the networks to help us obtain one of the supposed hundreds of jobs available.

None of the promises made to us during the open house, during classes, or on the website were met.

Obviously, the University was not prepared to adequately deliver the Code Academy, and we have paid the price in many ways
We feel that we deserve and are requesting a full refund of all monies paid by or on behalf of each student in the Midland University Code Academy program.

4/20/2018
  • Codecademy Pro INTENSIVE
  • Graduated: 2018

"Some good coursework, but feels like a scam"

I did the front-end developer (React.js) course I thought the Codecademy coursework was very good, but you can get that through a $20 pro subscription without having to shell out for a $200 intensive.

There were a bunch of things that felt like a scam... Read More

My React and front-end skills progressed considerably during this course. This was due to good coursework and interesting, challenging projects. I often built skills through research and troubleshooting on my own. The scammy nature of how this program was advertised compared to what was provided is why I must give it 1 star.

Codecademy's average rating is 3.24 out of 5.0 based on 23 review(s).