CodeClan

Courses: Data Analysis, Professional Software Development, Web Development - Highlands

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness

About CodeClan

CodeClan’s mission is to bridge the digital skills gap and develop a new generation of digital professionals in Scotland. We are Scotland's first accredited digital skills academy, offering a range of software development and data analysis courses through... Read More

The not-for-profit organisation was founded in 2015 and has campuses in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and in Inverness since 2019. As Scotland’s national digital skills academy, CodeClan focuses on equipping students with industry-led training in order to support them into jobs.

CodeClan‘s unique match-making careers service works with almost 300 multi-industry partners spanning Scotland’s major financial institutions, government departments and the country’s innovative start-up scene.

We have a high success rate matching our graduates with job roles - 93% of our graduates have a full-time role within six months.

The two full-time courses include Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) accredited Professional Software Development (PSD), which teaches programming and web programming including Ruby, JavaScript and Agile over 16 weeks, and Data Analysis, which teaches students to think, analyse and communicate data over 14 weeks. PSD and Data Analysis courses are available in both Edinburgh and Glasgow campuses.

CodeClan also offers a Full-Stack Web Development course specifically developed for its Inverness campus to attract and retain young people in the Highlands as well as create high value jobs. CodeClan also offers a growing range of short and bespoke courses which enable organisations to future-proof their workforce with in-demand, practical digital skills.

Data Analysis

• Cost: £6,250
Locations: Glasgow, Edinburgh

Pre-course work
This part of the course is designed to help you get comfortable the tools you’ll be using throughout your training. We’ll also use this time to give you a refresher on some of the maths you might not have looked at since you left school. The pre-course is self-guided and completed at your own pace during the two weeks before you kick off on campus.

R Programming
We will use the R language as a tool to carry out all the data analysis tasks and techniques. We’ll start by focusing on the language basics, but before long you’ll be developing your own interactive web applications, machine learning models and complete data analysis projects. As R is an open source language, you’ll be able to use it alongside Python and SQL at no additional cost when you get into the office.

Data analysis
You’ll learn everything you need to take a raw dataset, clean it up, manipulate it, visualise it and use it to create predictive models. Along the way, you’ll also learn the best ways to clean data, the right graph to choose and brush up your statistics to ensure you make solid recommendations from your data.

Business applications
Data impacts every corner of a business, so we’ll make sure you understand how to manage data well within an organisation, alongside the ethical and privacy implications of doing that. You’ll get to work on real-world problems and datasets provided by our partners, so that you can start to make a difference before you’ve even graduated.

Skill outcomes
• Develop the knowledge, skills and best practices to become a professional Data Analyst
• Consolidate, present and model data in multiple ways
• Key skills to lead data driven decision making within your organisation
• Forecasting, competitor analysis and probability
• Story-tell through the visualisation of data
• Understand the right tools to use to fir the audience and purpose
• Apply your knowledge of data to multiple business sectors including health, arts, environment and tourism
• Communication and presentation skills

Subjects: Data Analytics, R Programming

Professional Software Development

• Cost: £6,250
Locations: Edinburgh, Glasgow

Our full-time, project-based coding course is fast-paced and stimulating – just like your new career in the demanding tech industry will be.

We’re the first digital skills academy in the UK to become a Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) approved centre, which means we are the only UK academy to be able to offer a Professional Development Award in Software Development, recognised and endorsed by employers across Scotland. With a high ratio of instructors to students, our teaching approach supplements and complements more traditional routes.

Pre-course
After a meet-up to get to know your instructors and fellow students, you'll work through structured assignments and online courses and begin to pick up key terminology and gain confidence in navigating your development environment. You'll complete this part of the course from home over 3 weeks.

Programming Fundamentals Module
This first module of our course focuses on giving you a solid foundation in understanding key programming principles and concepts, building and strengthening your software development skills using standard tools.

Statically Typed Programming Module (Java)
This module of our course changes your language to Java, and gets you understanding the key differences between statically and dynamically typed languages and their impact in development work. You will build new skills in developing your own applications which obey the SOLID principles.

JavaScript Module
This module introduces web programming using JavaScript, one of the key technologies used to develop websites. You will learn the key fundamentals of the JS programming language to learn how to develop full-stack JS applications and learn to use the web framework React.

Career Focused Activities
Throughout your time at CodeClan you will be given guidance and support to enhance your ability to transition into the tech industry. Everything from advice about improving your LinkedIn profile and CV to making a professional Git repo that showcases your new portfolio of work.

Subjects: Android

Web Development - Highlands

• Cost: £5,000
Locations: Inverness

Fast-track your career in digital by training as a Web Developer through our 12-week immersive course in Inverness. You’ll learn some of the most widely used technologies and methodologies used by employers across the north of Scotland.

Pre-course
No-one gets dropped into the deep end… well not quite! This part of the course is designed to help you get comfortable with the terminology, concepts and development environment you’ll be using throughout your training. The pre-course is self-guided and completed at your own pace during the two weeks before you kick off on campus.

Programming principles
Time to get stuck in! Taught through the Ruby programming language, this first module is all about getting you familiar with some of the main principles, approaches and methodologies used by web programmers today. These include test-driven development (TDD), object-oriented programming (OOP) and databases (SQL).

JavaScript:
Welcome to the programming language of the internet. JavaScript powers many of the sites and services you interact with every day and is one of the key technologies used to develop websites and web applications. This course uses JavaScript as a full-stack language, so you’ll explore its front-end and back-end use. You’ll start by learning pure, ‘vanilla’ JavaScript before tapping into the power of a web framework.

Projects:
See your code come to life! At CodeClan you’ll learn by making things and building a portfolio of web applications. You’ll put your technical skills into practice using the languages, tools and methodologies learnt throughout the course. Your portfolio will also become a vital tool in your job search, showcasing your skills.

Subjects: Test-Driven Development (TDD), Object Oriented Programming (OOP), SQL, JavaScript

CodeClan Reviews

Overall

3.88/5

7/8/2021
  • Anonymous | Web Developer
  • Graduated: 2020

"I’m glad I did it, but I wish I knew some stuff before."

TLDR; It’s good idea if you have 10k spare and some background. If you have no background, no Uni, no friends, no money, maybe start somewhere else. Codeclan is nice experience, the building in Edinburgh is very pretty, have nice vibe and friendly staff.... Read More

6/8/2020
  • Luke Melvin
  • Graduated: 2020

"Best decision I have made for my career!"

I had been thinking about doing the professional software development course with codeclan for a couple of years and then late in 2019 I decided to go for it and I am so happy that I did. The reason I went with codeclan was because I had friends and friends... Read More

Before I applied I had tried to do the whole online thing but without structure and accountability I continued to stall. Codeclan provides great resources, a couminuty and a team of instructors that are always willing to help. The course is super fast paced and you will have highs and lows as far as understanding the concepts but as everyone, on my cohort anyway, will tell you, it will all makes sense by Thursday!

Like I said it is fast and you will be given all the help and resource you need to succeed but you will only get out of codeclan what you put in, don't go into this thinking you are buying a ticket to a job in tech you really need to want it. If you are willing, however, to drop the £6250 on a course like this you are unlikely to just sit around and waste your money, so don't.

PDA is good but slightly more work than it is sold but if you keep on top of it it is fine. I found myslef doing batches of a few evidence peices at a time and that kept me kind of on top but if you just do them as they are made available to you then you will have no problem at all.

Final thing, I can not commend the team at codeclan enough for how they helped us transition from on campus to remote. Durning our time on the course we had to move to a totally new remote learning model that codeclan had to pull out of the bag in a matter of days due to COVID-19. The content, support or teaching did not drop at all. Our instructors couldn't do enough to keep us on the programming path.
The only thing we really missed out on was the speed networking but that was no-one's fault, companies were just unable or unwilling to meet face to face wich at the time was annoying but understandable!

Anyway, great course, great route to tech and great friends made along the way!

6/3/2020
  • Calum
  • Graduated: 2020

"Best decision I ever made"

I recently graduated CodeClan and also wanted to offer my views on the course after reading some of the reviews from the cohorts before me. I find it staggering how different their experiences seemed to have been to mine.

I made the decision to come to... Read More

I’m not going to lie to anyone thinking of undertaking this course, it’s hard. There were some difficult days but I never felt alone or lost, the support network was always there, from members of my cohort to the fantastic instructor team, by the end of the week things made sense and even felt trivial the week after. You just start doing the things you found insanely complicated without even thinking about it.

I read the complaints about the speed networking and lack of getting jobs immediately after graduating and couldn’t help but laugh. If you think that you are guaranteed a job just from attending CodeClan or employer partners will just hand out jobs after talking to you for 10 minutes, then this course will not be for you. CodeClan never gave the impression that a job would be handed to me upon graduation but I did feel that I had gained the confidence and skills to actively seek them out, with the support from the careers team to build my CV and LinkedIn to best reflect the skills I've gained and what I have to offer to potential employers.

There’s no doubt in my mind that you get out of this course what you put in. If you just listen to the classes, don’t code along and put the bare minimum effort into the homework then you’ll just have wasted £6250. CodeClan doesn’t hold your hand, they just give you the tools and resources to develop the skills needed to become a software developer, with an amazing group of instructors to help you along the way.

My cohort was in week 10 when the COVID-19 pandemic hit the UK. We started going remote during week 11 and by week 12 we were fully remote and the building was shut, in line with government guidelines. I can do nothing except praise the instructors and staff for how smooth the transition to remote learning felt and it was so clear how much extra work was being done behind the scenes to ensure our learning was impacted as little as possible. I don’t feel that any of the skills I learned after going remote and any weaker than the ones I gained before, reinforcing how smooth this transition was.

The reality is that there just aren’t many jobs at the moment, but that’s no fault of CodeClan’s. Everyone is struggling, and the tech sector has weathered it a lot better than most. A few of my cohort have already received jobs, that proves that they are out there. It’s an unfortunate time to be seeking employment but that’s the reality of the situation we find ourselves in. I’m certain that I’ll find a job and until then I am strengthening my skills gained at CodeClan to build my portfolio and learn new technologies.

I don’t regret a single thing about my decision to come to CodeClan. I’ve learned more than I could ever have imagined, made some amazing friends and feel confident in calling myself a Software Developer.

6/2/2020
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great experience. I LEARNT SO MUCH!"

I completed my journey with CodeClan about a month ago and I want to share my experience as the course seems to be receiving some rather mixed reviews and I am wondering how my experience could have differed so much to the other previous students.

I decided... Read More

I knew it was going to be a hard 16 weeks. CodeClan do not shy away from letting you know this and with all their pre-course work and information you really start the course knowing exactly what is going to happen and how you can get the most out of it.

I am a firm believer in that 'nothing comes from nothing' and CodeClan's course is no exception to that. If you think you can cruise through the course, get a certificate and then expect to be given a job then you are going to be hit with a massive reality check. CodeClan never say you are guaranteed a job at the end of it, but they make sure that all the steps are in place to be just as employable as the next person. The support after you have graduated in just as strong as when you are on the course, but you have to be the driver with those conversations as, understandably, they are busy themselves. They do not just dump you like some other reviewers are making it sound like. For example, someone in my class has just received a job offer having been told about it through the careers service. But you have to put in the extra work and use the time wisely. I have a feeling from reading some of these reviews that there is a sense of bitterness that it hasn't gone their way and want to pass the buck.

I graduated during the COVID-19 pandemic and had to make the transition to remote learning (CodeClan did an AMAZING job to adapt the course so quickly without it feeling like any of the material or experience was compromised). The job market has frozen and I am sure it is going to be a while before the job market becomes as open as CodeClan market it as. But this is not anyones fault and there should not be any blame put on anyone for this. But again, I fall back onto the 'nothing comes from nothing' attitude. I am now using my time to consolidate my learnings, learn new languages and build my portfolio. I know to others that this time must be really frustrating as what we were promised like speed networking etc could not happen due to obvious reasons, but having spoken to some of the senior staff members (who have been more than willing to take time out of their day to offer support) they have been clear with their advice: Keep going and keep learning as it shows more character rising to the challenge than getting defeated. Thanks to CodeClan's teaching, curriculum and support network I can do all this feeling confident about what to do and know what I am capable of.

Anyways, I am so glad I took the plunge and did the course and I cannot explain how much I have learnt. So much happens in those 16 weeks that I could write about it all day. I have also made awesome friends who I look forward to seeing succeed!

If you are thinking about doing this course make sure you really do your research and understand what you are signing up for. When you are ready to give it your all then GO FOR IT!

I cannot wait to see where the next chapter of this journey will take me!

5/28/2020
  • Alan Ramsay
  • Graduated: 2020

"CodeClan an excellent way to change career."

I decided to take the massive jump and change career from driving HGV's to a Software Developer and has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I decided to do this thought CodeClan as I didn't want to do an online course, even though the last... Read More

5/21/2020
  • Roosa

"Fantastic experience"

I don't generally write reviews, but after completing the Professional Software Development course at CodeClan (Edinburgh campus) earlier this month and having had such an incredible experience studying at CodeClan, I felt compelled to share my views.... Read More

Before starting the course, I already had two university degrees, which was one of the main reasons I chose to do CodeClan over another degree. This was a much quicker and more hands-on approach to learning to code (nevermind the fact that my history was in social studies, which would make it hard, if not impossible, to make the jump to a masters in computer science), and the skills that I had developed both at university and in working life put me in a position where going back to university would not have given me all that much, and would have been a significant investment both in terms of time and money. It is much easier to live as a student and without income for a few months, than it is for a year or two. Moreover, the learning environment is completely different: everyone at CodeClan has decided to make a change in their careers after already doing something else. It's not a place you simply drift to, but everyone there is committed and wants to get as much out of their experience as possible.

I attended an open evening before deciding to do the course. This allowed me to hear from previous and current students, and learn more about the course. This was really useful, and unlike Anonymous below, I felt that CodeClan were very transparent and open about all statistics that they showed, and that the graduate employment statistics they referenced in the open evening were indeed concerned with those who had found employment in the tech industry. Because I had familiarised myself with the course contents at the open day, and an induction day before the start of the course, I felt that we all had been given a very clear idea of what to expect from the course by the time we started. This made it very easy to adjust to the (major!) change of going back to studying something totally new for the first time in many years. The staff at CodeClan also place an emphasis on the mental health and wellbeing of students, and aim to promote an inclusive environment. As one of only two female students in my cohort, I never felt like there was a "boys' club" mentality at CodeClan, and I knew that if there were issues, I could easily address those with members of staff, whether that's instructors or student support staff.

When it comes to staff in general, I have nothing but positive things to say. Our cohort had incredible instructors, all of whom went out of their way to ensure that we were all on top of things and felt supported throughout the course. They created an absolutely fantastic open atmosphere where I felt able to voice any struggles or ask questions. Most importantly, they always seemed excited about teaching us and showing us new things. The support was never limited to just our own instructors either, but all other instructors were always eager to help too. This was the first time in my educational history that I can genuinely say every single teacher was encouraging and helpful, and did so much to help us become not just developers, but confident in our own skills. I was in the unlucky position of being only halfway through my course when Covid-19 forced the school to shut, but the instructors ensured that our transition to an online learning environment was as smooth as possible, and they did an incredible job. I never felt like I learnt any less than I would have in a physical classroom, and actually ended up gaining so much more knowledge of remote programming tools than I otherwise would have.

In terms of career support, again Covid-19 placed us in an unlucky position in the sense that many companies have frozen their hiring processes. Because of this, we haven't had the chance to have a speed networking event yet, however we will receive careers support from CodeClan for longer than intended because of the current climate. CodeClan do try to help you as much as possible and want to see everyone employed with one of their partner companies or elsewhere in the tech industry. I think the crucial thing to remember is that completing the course doesn't mean that a job is handed to you. The tech market is growing, and there are jobs available, but you still need to work hard, apply to many jobs and continue to develop your skills in the meantime. And sometimes something like Covid-19 happens, and the job market changes unexpectedly: that's a risk you take when you change careers. Even with this in mind, I have never regretted my decision to do this course. In fact, it's now opening up so many more doors, and more open doors is the one thing I'd want to have in times like these.

In addition, I have attended numerous industry talks organised by CodeClan and have been assigned a mentor who works in the industry. All the feedback I have heard from people working at these companies has been overwhelmingly positive, and they are more than happy to hire CodeClan graduates. Hiring a CodeClan graduate is an altogether different package to hiring a university graduate, as most come with more experience in the working life, and multiple different skills that many fresh university graduates might not have had the chance to acquire yet. This seems to be recognised across the industry; I have also heard from people who work at tech companies who are not partners with CodeClan, and they are all happy with the CodeClan alumni they have hired.

To sum up, I do believe that what you get out of the course is a reflection of how much you put in. But even when faced with things like Covid-19, which no one could have predicted, CodeClan have continued to deliver a great standard of teaching and form a supportive and encouraging environment for all to learn. Personally, the decision to change careers and come to CodeClan was one of the best I have ever made. I have developed an incredible number of skills, become more confident and made many close friends; I knew exactly what to expect from the course in terms of its contents and learning objectives, but I've gained much more.

Dear Roosa,

Thank you very much for your kind words about CodeClan's Professional Software Development course. Our team puts a huge amount of effort and passion into delivering the course and we are delighted to hear that it was such an incredible experience... Read More

It's great to hear that you made the right choice in training with us and that we met your expectations.

We wish you the very best in your new career and hope that you stay in touch with us. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further help in launching your new career successfully. We are here for you.

5/15/2020

"Avoid like the plague"

Avoid CodeClan Edinburgh like the plague, the students in my cohort were all sold dreams before joining but little was actually delivered. Prior to joining the school, its staff create an impression that the studying here is highly respectable and the... Read More

- There is next to no real support following graduation
- Employers do not value certificates from Codeclan
- Out of a class of 20, only 2 got jobs(one from the school and one went back to their old company).
- CodeClan say 6 months after graduation 90% have jobs, the same could be said for any group of people over a 6 month period.
- CodeClan like to be cryptic e.g. they dont mention what type of jobs
- The School is run like a cult, all the staff convey the same message, all create a picture of an industry/opportunities that isnt true. It is so easy to get sucked in to their lies.
- CodeClan dont mark or grade you. everybody is equal whether you have no ability or not, you'll graduate.
- The CEO Melinda is simply on another planet.
- Promised 10 companies at speed interviews: 7 showed up, 1 left immediately, 5 did not hire nor were in positions to hire (they came simply to talk to us).

Advice to any students thinking about joining:
- DONT, save yourself £6500 and get a codecademy account, learn the basics, attend a codebar.io event and just ask someone to be your mentor (can help you, if you get stuck on a concept)
- Understand, the average graduate takes a junior role with a junior salary (avoid if you have kids and live month to month)
- If you really want a "school" vibe and want to do it in edinburgh, the universities will give you a masters for roughly the same amount ( and people actually respect it).

I wish I could take them to court for fraud and misrepresentation.

Dear Anonymous,

Your feedback is important to us as we review, update and improve our courses and support services for our students. During our course delivery we regularly seek feedback from our students and address dissatisfaction, making modifications... Read More

Our curriculum is constantly evolving, and this involves considerable input from instructors, students and industry. Details of our course curriculum are available before students sign up (including on our website) and while certain classes may benefit from improvements based on instructor and student feedback, we do not deviate significantly from that curriculum, unless advertised in advance of starting the course. Please also remember that the specific technologies we teach, while industry relevant, should not be seen to constitute the limits of any CodeClan graduate’s career potential. We are proud of the fact that many of our graduates go into roles in which they learn and competently use new technologies, including new frameworks and programming languages.

We can confirm that most CodeClan software development graduates (many of whom are in fact parents) go into junior development roles, with an average salary of £25.7K this financial year so far. This is a fact we are proud of and are happy to make clear to any prospective students. We are here to help you launch a new career and this often involves going back to junior level. It certainly doesn’t mean your new skills are not valued or recognised - just that the learning experience is ongoing well into your first role after the course, and the average graduate position and salary both reflect this. Many of our graduates progress quickly to more senior roles having gained the ability to learn quickly as part of the CodeClan course. Please have confidence in your new skills and be aware that there are hundreds of CodeClan graduates out there who have already used these skills in roles such as junior developer, tester, UX, DevOps, business analyst, product owner, support engineer, and more. In our placement stats, we only include graduates who go into relevant tech jobs, so all our placement figures are based on employment outcomes including or similar to the roles listed above.

Regarding your comments about networking with employers, we cannot promise any cohort that certain companies (or a certain number of companies) will be present, just as we cannot promise that a given company will be hiring at a given time. We can only say that under normal circumstances, we typically see 8 to 10 companies joining our Speed Networking events and we do our best to replicate this for every cohort. Please also note that Speed Networking is not the only means by which our students are placed into roles, nor is it the only occasion for CodeClan students to meet employers. We provide ongoing career support for our graduates up to six months after they graduate (currently, we have extended this to eight months due to Covid-19). This communication takes place through email, Slack and face-to-face or digital conferencing meetings with our job-seeking graduates. We offer advice on specific applications for roles with partners and non-partners alike. If you need support from us at the moment, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our careers service (careers.service@codeclan.com) as soon as possible. We are here to help you.

Finally, at CodeClan we focus our training time on practical skills and limit that time to four months so as to be more accessible for those who do not wish to spend a year doing a masters, for example. Our students have the opportunity to complete an SQA level 8 qualification during the course. This work is assessed throughout the course and is graded either pass or fail. This process is clearly outlined during the admissions and onboarding into the course. Our immersive courses are a big commitment and we recognise this by offering the qualification as a choice. Our rigorous application process is designed to identify students with the appropriate aptitude for what is quite a demanding course. Once onboarded, we go to great lengths to support our students’ learning. As part of the course we provide regular constructive feedback to give the students every opportunity to succeed in gaining the qualification.

We wish you the best of luck in your future. CodeClan is here to support you if you so choose to use our services.

4/27/2020

"It was Ok"

The course was ok. They went over three modules; Ruby, JS and Java. The Ruby module is treated as an introduction to coding and its principles, however it should be noted that Ruby is useless and no longer used (by majority companies or programmers ).... Read More

Unfortunately the school provides no more than a basic programming introduction which enables you to create inventory management apps in the three programming languages named above - this could also be taught following a youtube tutorial. Students are advised that they will be equiped with tech skills to get a tech role - this is a well constructed lie.

The average codeclan graduate is only qualified for basic entry level "junior" role which anybody of the street could get, as often no programming background is required for this. Most students leave professional jobs to undertake a course at codeclan do not realise the average graduating salary is £21,000 - 23,000. Most students also do not realise that a masters degree is only £300 more expensive than what codeclan charge.
Students that get "good jobs" often have a background within tech prior to joining codeclan.

The careers service/support is nothing more than a scam. Jobs are posted in online job boards, these posting are then forwarded to students suggesting the school has a unique relationship to leverage and if interested please email me your cv. This is because the school operates a recruitment business where they charge a finders fee.

Post graduation theres is next to no contact, and the little contact there is, is for "gimmicky"/low hanging fruit esk tactics e.g. come hear a talk about fair pay in the workplace, how to start a union, how to improve your mental health (basic talks such as you should breath, you should exercise).
Also CodeClan DOES NOT grade ANY work, everyone that starts the course gets a certificate. Employer obviously love this. I feel like i have been scammed.

Hello Anonymous,

Your feedback is very important to us as we are continually reviewing, updating and improving our courses and support services for our students. We are surprised that you spent 4 months with such a level of dissatisfaction and didn’t speak... Read More

Regarding your comments about the Ruby programming language, we have been using this during our Programming Fundamentals module for several years now because of its accessibility as a first language to learn. While a number of graduates have gone on to acquire roles programming in Ruby, we do not typically expect this to be the case. Rather, the principles learned during this module merely form a solid foundation that is then built upon during the subsequent two modules involving JavaScript and Java, which are prevalent technologies in Scotland and beyond.

Furthermore, it is worth noting that we teach with a well-established principle of ‘learn how to learn’: the specific technologies we teach, while industry relevant, should not be seen to constitute the limits of any CodeClan graduate’s career potential. We are proud of the fact that many of our graduates go into roles in which they learn new technologies, including new frameworks and programming languages.

The majority of CodeClan graduates go into a junior development role, with an average salary of £25.5K this financial year. We make no secret of this. CodeClan is here to help you launch a new career and this often involves going back to junior level. It certainly doesn’t mean your new skills are not valued - merely that for the majority of our graduates, the learning experience is ongoing well into your first role after the course, and the average graduate position reflects this. It is also true that many of our graduates progress quickly to more senior roles having gained the ability to learn quickly as part of the CodeClan course.

We provide ongoing career support for our students up to six months after they graduate (currently, we have extended this to eight months due to Covid-19). The majority of communication happens through email and Slack. We also have face-to-face or digital conferencing meetings with our job-seeking graduates and offer advice on specific applications for roles with partners and non-partners alike. If you need support from CodeClan at the moment, please get in touch with our careers service (careers.service@codeclan.com).

Mental health and wellbeing are part of the culture at CodeClan. We teach life long skills on how to manage stress, change and work life balance. We are sorry you didn’t see this aspect of the course worthy.

Finally, our students have the opportunity to complete an SQA level 8 qualification during the course. This work is assessed throughout the course and is graded either pass or fail. This process is clearly outlined during the admissions and onboarding into the course. Our immersive courses are a big commitment and we recognise this by offering the qualification as a choice. Our rigorous application process is designed to identify students with the appropriate aptitude for what is quite a demanding course. Once onboarded, we go to great lengths to support our students’ learning. As part of the course we provide regular constructive feedback to give the students every opportunity to succeed in gaining the qualification.

1/17/2020
  • Graduated: 2018

"They deliver the basics brilliantly, but don't go further than that"

For 3 years before I've done CodeClan I have been trying to learn how to code. I knew a lot of the information delivered in the course even before I joined, but I didn't know how to put everything together until I did the course. CodeClan have got teaching... Read More

Getting support from the career staff on the other side is a total mess. We had a careers week mid-course and that just put everyone in our cohort in a panic state. We've been told to make a LinkedIn profile but were given no guidance for it, and the main focus has just been on building a CV, which had to follow their own template. I think I was lucky for getting a job with a company from Speed Networking, because I can see my career progression turning into a nightmare otherwise. I am in touch with a few other alumni and some of them are still looking even though they graduated more than 3 months ago! I thought when I enrolled in the course that the reason I'm paying a huge heap of money was because they were good at getting people jobs. But apart from Speed Networking I haven't seen or heard about people getting hired via CodeClan in any other way. They attempt to get partner companies to hold talks and come and meet students, but there's not much point to it because those companies aren't usually looking to hire.

As with any other thing, you get out of it what you put into it. I was desperate for change when I started the course and that motivated me to go beyond just attending class. The extra things you do set you apart, just like with any other learning institution and I don't see why people have different expectations from this course. Bottom line is, they promise to teach you the basics of coding and not a job. So in my view they delivered.

Hi there,

Thanks for your review, we appreciate feedback from our alumni and we always review, update and improve our courses and support for our students.

We provide ongoing career support for our students up to six months after they graduate. The majority... Read More

1/17/2020
  • David Pears
  • Graduated: 2018

"Great Course"

A great course that I relocated to Edinburgh for (it came that highly recommended by a friend in the tech industry in Scotland). Prior to this course I had rarely dealt with any serious tech other than the standard office stuff. I found the course well... Read More

Hi David,

Thank you for your review. We're glad that you enjoyed the course and it opened up a new career in tech for you.

Thanks,
The CodeClan Team

CodeClan's average rating is 3.88 out of 5.0 based on 17 review(s).