Codesmith

Courses: CS Prep, CSX, Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program, Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive, JavaScript for Beginners, Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

Online, Los Angeles, NYC, Temporarily Online

About Codesmith

At the core of Codesmith is a selective, need-blind, 12-week program teaching Software Engineering and Machine Learning with locations in LA and NY. Codesmith also offers a variety of other resources from part-time, online, prep programs, to free weekly... Read More

Focusing largely on computer science and full stack JavaScript, this program enables Codesmith students (known as residents) to build compelling open-source projects and ultimately move on to positions as leading software engineers. Courses emphasize the most valuable contemporary technologies, including React, Redux, Node, DevOps, build tools, and machine learning.

Codesmith residents become engineers through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms & data structures), and object oriented & functional programming. The curriculum drives Residents to develop strong problem-solving ability and technical communication skills, the most valued capacities in a software engineer.

In addition to its core curriculum, Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through white-boarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues after graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer. The vast majority of graduates earn over $110,000 annually in their first job after the program (LA median starting salary: $117,500 ; NY median starting salary: $112,500 ; third-party audited & CIRR-member).

Job Outcomes

Not Employed 8%
Unemployed and still seeking a job 8%
Unemployed and not seeking a job 0%
Non-reporting 1%

This bootcamp uses the CIRR methodology. All CIRR members use a standardized, one-page format. To ensure complete accuracy, CIRR reports account for each enrolled student. You can compare outcomes with other CIRR members side-by-side. Learn more about CIRR.

CS Prep

• Cost: $750
Locations: Online

CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.

CSX

• Cost: Free
Locations: Online

Developed by Codesmith, CSX is a free JavaScript learning platform with a variety of video courses and coding challenges from beginner to advanced levels. The platform has a Slack community (CodesmithX) with 5000+ members. Engineers from around the world join this engaging group to find pair programming partners, ask JavaScript questions to mentors and connect with the supportive Codesmith community.

Duration: Self-Paced

Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program

Locations: Los Angeles, NYC

Codesmith is a Full Stack Software Engineering Immersion Program based in Los Angeles, CA and New York City. We prepare our graduates for roles at the leading tech companies around the country. Codesmith's program goes above and beyond a regular coding bootcamp. Every Codesmith graduate is trained in computer science, object-oriented programming, front end development with React and Angular, backend development with Node, distributed systems, mobile and hardware engineering with JavaScript. To prepare you for your application and to experience the Codesmith community & teaching style, attend JavaScript: The Hard Parts or CS Prep.

Subjects: Linux, CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Scrum, Python, Machine Learning, React.js, SQL, Algorithms, AngularJS, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript, DevOps, Data Structures, Front-End Web Development, Mobile Security

Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

Locations: Temporarily Online

Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive brings Codesmith's first-rate curriculum to a completely remote setting allowing for the driven engineers not located in Los Angeles or New York City to advance their careers in three months. The program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare you for mid and senior-level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses you in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages you to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare you for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the 12-week program, you will be an autonomous engineer, ready to make an impact on innovative tech companies worldwide.

JavaScript for Beginners

• Cost: $300
Locations: Online

JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals, as well as provide a broader context to how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.

Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

Locations: Online

The Part-Time Remote Software Engineering Immersive Program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare students for mid and senior-level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses students in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages them to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare them for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the program, students become autonomous engineers, ready to make an impact at innovative tech companies worldwide.

Codesmith Reviews

Overall

4.92/5

7/16/2020
  • Alex Chao | Senior Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2019

"Worth every penny"

The experience going through the Software Engineering Immersive program is extremely difficult. The hours are long, you're being pushed to grow in so many more ways than just coding and technical ability. But that's what makes it a unique bootcamp amongst... Read More

7/4/2020
  • Faraz | designer
  • Graduated: 2020

"CodeSmith has a create format - strongly recommend"

I attended the Beginner JS Course through CodeSmith. Overall, the experience was really good. Typically, the workshop spans over 2 weeks, however, this particular session was crammed over a weekend. It was intense. I think it gave a flavor for how the... Read More

I'm familiar with some of the basic aspects of JS like loops and functions. During the course, I was able to ask detailed/ specific questions. I like how the lectures are designed. Each student will get multiple opportunity to explain how JS would work in a given scenario - the responses are technical. This is great because communication is a huge part of programming.

The pair programming was a great experience as well. I got to work with a few folks that were more experience than I was and some that were less experience. I choose CodeSmith because of the format and strongly recommend it.

6/30/2020
  • Garrett James

"JavaScript for Beginners"

Curriculum: 10/10
My Instructor was Sophie Nye. I have nothing but superlatives to describe Sophie. She was knowledgeable, extremely thoughtful and, patient. She had an infectious energy that radiated over the entire course. Spend six hours in class is... Read More

Instructors: 10/10
This course will help you to solidify the foundational concepts of Javascript, but takes it further. This course pushes you to be able to upgrade your technical communication. Most of us could answer questions, but when asked to not only answer but explain your full understanding of what is happening is where we all grew. You can easily find courses that can teach you the basics of Javascript, but I was unable to find one that really pushed me to understand what was going on with every line of code I executed. The best part of my CodeSmith experience (so far, more on this later) is the people I was able to meet and form fast friendships with. You get the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life, who are highly motivated and very welcoming. These are bonds that I hope to keep throughout my CodeSmith journey and well after.

Overall Experience: 10/10

If you are on the fence let me share some more information that may help:

After completing JSB, if you are accepted into CS Prep, & later into one of the Software Engineering Immersive programs, your JavaScript for Beginners tuition will be applied to the next program you take. (This was huge in my initial decision making) If costs is a deterrent like it is for me. CodeSmith has very good scholarship programs (fingers crossed).

I was extremely satisfied with the JSB experience, and I highly recommend this course for anyone who wants to really learn on a higher level. I believe so much in every word I just wrote that based on my experience in JavaScript for Beginners, I have applied for the CSPrep and then will apply for the Full-time software engineering immersive.

6/30/2020
  • Greg Dixon
  • Graduated: 2020

"Perfect Introductory Course for Anyone Starting from Scratch"

I started this course knowing next to nothing about coding besides a few small lessons (ie what a variable is). This class goes over all of that and more, providing a foundation for more advanced courses. More importantly, this course gives a great taste... Read More

5/16/2020
  • Andy | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2019

"Laid off to CodeSmith to Senior Engineer in 6 months"

This review is for working professionals considering the pivot into Software Engineering

My Background:

Located in NYC - Previously working in a Fortune 50 company as a tech-adjacent manager for over 4 years in the Financial Risk industry. In May 2019 I... Read More

CodeSmith Experience:

I started off by attending free meetups and found myself at CodeSmith to attend JavaScript the Hard Parts. I am the first person to go through the trifecta, (JS for Beginners, CS Prep, and the Immersive program) It wasn’t easy. CodeSmith was one of the most challenging endeavors I signed up for in my career. There are plenty of reviews online that will go into detail on the curriculum but the main take away is that there is no real secret. There are hundreds of learning material available online for free. What I’ve gotten out of CodeSmith as an experienced professional is a room full of people from multiple industries leveraging their prior work experiences to constantly push each other to consider multiple perspectives and solve problems in ways I could not have done via tutorials or coding on my own. This is why CodeSmith is able to grow residents into mature senior engineers.

CodeSmith isn’t a place to pay money to sit down and coast to a high paying career. I relate CodeSmith to giving me a map, but I still had to manually drive down the road and figure out where to turn along the way.

Afterwards/Summary:

From being laid off back in May, to learning JavaScript and going through Hard Parts, JSB, and CS Prep in June-July, to the Immersive program from July-October, I’ve put in over 80 hours of work per week to improve myself. This wasn’t easy for me nor for my loved ones whom would only see me for a few hours on a good week. (The community was caring and ensured I got enough sleep)

5 weeks after graduation and two offers later, I will be starting my first job as a Senior Software Engineer next week with an above average 6-figure salary. My most valuable asset is my software engineering knowledge which I’ve sharpened and grown throughout CodeSmith. I am confident now in my job security and the ability to find more work in the future when the time comes. The tech and skill set I’ve learned are highly sought after in the job market. A major selling point for CodeSmith - If certain frameworks or libraries are no longer in demand, CodeSmith tends to remove older content in favor of newer content that is more competitive in the job market.

I came from zero JavaScript knowledge working at an unfulfilling job to taking my first step into Software Engineering. I truly believe that it doesn’t matter how you learn or what program you take if you put in the hard work, but CodeSmith definitely expedited the process and made me never give up.

5/14/2020
  • Yena
  • Graduated: 2020

"Codesmith JSB(JavaScript for Beginners) Review from a Student with no background in Computer Science"

(Personal Back Ground Information - if you just want the review, then you can skip this part :D)

To start off, my background was actually in Business and Marketing. However, I was interested in coding when I started my own business during my senior year... Read More

But my engineer friend, who knew that I was interested in coding, told me he would be willing to help me learn about HTML. After I learned the basic elements of HTML and how HTML works on webs, I found it very interesting and fun and I wanted to learn more. Then I studied CSS and decided that I wanted to become a software engineer. The most attractive thing to me about coding is that what I do is visual and produces immediate results. It is the same reason I liked math since I was young. They both produce immediate answers and I'm able to check if the answer is right or not when I put the formula in. Although I've just started learning to code, even if it becomes too difficult or frustrating I am confident that I can solve those difficult problems and hopefully feel a sense of accomplishment when I solve them.

(CodeSmith Experience)

Overall Experience: 10/10
I think the most important thing is the basics. This class will help you to solidify the foundation of Javascript. You can easily find courses of basic Javascript, but they don't talk about every detail of concepts. Not only it explains concepts and terms more specifically, but also it gives you endless example problems and challenges. If you want, challenges are endless. Also, you can ask a question whenever you want!! This is the best part of CodeSmith. Through CSX or JSB Slack, you can get help from many other students or instructors.

Instructors: 10/10
My Instructor was MICHELLE HERRERA!! First of all, she's full of energy. She makes our class energetic. As you know 6 hours class is not easy, but she makes me feel like 'I can study more than 6 hours!!'. Also, she's always very welcome if we have questions. She helps me until I really understand the concept or question. I can feel like she really loves to teach us and it certainly motivated me to work more hard.

Curriculum: 9/10
I had 2 weeks and a day class. 1st, 2nd Saturday(9 AM/PST-3 PM/PST) and Monday(9 AM/PST: Assessment&6 PM/PST:Group Challenge Presentation). Curriculum wise it's great but I would say I needed more time to solve the challenges or problems. I understand the concepts 100% but it doesn't mean that I can solve the challenge. I hope I could learn how to apply the concepts that I learned in the class in challenges. I really hope CodeSmith have workshops that solve CSX challenges together from an overview of CSX to Chrome Extension!!! or please upload the videos! That would help A LOT!!!

(+ Tip)
If you are accepted into CS Prep, & later into one of our Software Engineering Immersive programs, your JavaScript for Beginners tuition will be applied to the next program you take.

CodeSmith have very good scholarship programs!!

Since I passed the assessment, I receive automatic acceptance into CS Prep.

I'm very satisfied with the JSB experience, and I highly recommend this course if you don't have a computer science background! I'm sure that I would apply for CSPrep and Full-time software engineering immersive!!!

• Frank Norton
  • CS Prep
  • Graduated: 2020

"CS Prep - Solid program for the foundations."

I had been doing a lot of work on my own and felt like I was cutting through frozen butter. I was making progress but every step took a lot of work and I had some bruises on my forehead from my desk. CS Prep gave me a glowing hot knife. I have a much... Read More

The pair-programming we did was also fantastic. I learned the most from these sessions. Whether it was with someone more advanced than myself or someone struggling to understand the concepts, I walked away miles ahead of where I started. The pedagogy of the assignments was also great at creating those lasting "aha!" moments.

I definitely recommend the program, especially if you are aiming to get into a bootcamp (especially Codesmith).

• Scott Burman
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great Program, Great Teacher, Great Community"

So you should go into the Codesmith program already knowing about some Javascript. It's a good thing they talk to you beforehand and have many free tutorials online that you can study before immersing your into the CS prep. They teach you a lot of valuable... Read More

• Tolga Eyidemir | UX/UI Designer
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great Institution with a sense of community"

Codesmith is a revolutionary school. They are not just teaching students to be great engineers, but also implements and encourages everyone to grow as a team and contribute greatly to the society. It is a top notch education program that provides in-depth... Read More

5/12/2020
  • Deep
  • Graduated: 2020

"Tough experience but with life-changing rewards at the end of the tunnel."

Going to Codesmith has been the best decision of my entire life. I have only graduated 1 month ago and have already landed a dream job that normally requires 5 years of experience. It gives you all the necessary skills and confidence to completely change... Read More

Codesmith's average rating is 4.92 out of 5.0 based on 271 review(s).