Covalence

Courses: Catalyst: Full-Time Full Stack Development Bootcamp, Molecular+: Part-Time Full Stack Development Bootcamp

Online

About Covalence

Covalence provides career-changing educational programs through their premier, online Full Stack Development coding bootcamp.

In Covalence's Full Stack bootcamp, students learn the essentials of front-end, back-end, and database development by focusing... Read More

Their Catalyst program is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learning the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project assignments. This education is augmented with daily interactions with fellow students and their dedicated instructor. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level Full Stack software developer.

For students that are looking for a more flexible option, Covalence's 6-month Molecular program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum as the Catalyst program, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Molecular students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Like their Catalyst counterparts, Molecular students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to enter the job market as junior-level Full Stack software developers.

Covalence welcomes students from all backgrounds and experience levels. For both of their programs, students receive additional job prep and career resources, access to submit questions in a Stack Overflow-like Q&A feature in Covalence's student portal, and the ability to submit their assignments for review for personal feedback from an instructor.

Catalyst: Full-Time Full Stack Development Bootcamp

• Cost: $9,500
Locations: Online

This is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learning the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project assignments. This education is augmented with daily interactions with fellow students and their dedicated instructor. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level Full Stack software developer. As a Catalyst student, you'll learn the essentials of front-end, back-end, and database development, and focus on technologies like JavaScript and HTML/CSS, responsive design, and JavaScript frameworks like React and React Native for mobile.

The Catalyst Program is a full-time, online commitment. Catalyst students learn in a cohort of up to 10 other students. Each cohort has a dedicated instructor who is available for remote troubleshooting through Discord. The instructor also hosts a daily webinar where students can ask questions and have concepts clarified.

After graduation, you'll be paired up with a Student Success adviser who will help you with your resume, LinkedIn, and finding a job. You'll have your first job as a junior developer within 6 months of completing the course.

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, Mobile, MySQL, React.js, SQL, Algorithms, Express.js, JavaScript, AWS

Molecular+: Part-Time Full Stack Development Bootcamp

• Cost: $6,000
Locations: Online

Covalence's 6-month Molecular+ program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum as the Catalyst program, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Students can expect to learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript (ES6), ReactJS, Node.js, Express, building and interacting with APIs, MySQL, Agile methodologies, version control with Git, and React Native.

Molecular+ students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Like their Catalyst counterparts, Molecular+ students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to enter the job market as junior-level Full Stack software developers.

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, MySQL, Agile, React.js, Node.js, JavaScript

Covalence Reviews

Overall

4.67/5

10/12/2020
  • Paula Suarez
  • Graduated: 2020

"Covalence: All Encompassing Program!"

I found Covalence because I was specifically interested in a JavaScript full stack boot camp. I also wanted a program that was 100% online. I was looking for a solid program with content that built upon itself...I also knew I needed support from developers... Read More

6/15/2020
  • Kevin Auer | QA Analyst

"Jumpstart a new career"

I heard about Covalence through a colleague when I was trying to make a career change. I did not know too much about software development but it sounded interesting so I decided to give it a shot. Covalence provided a great jump start to my new career.... Read More

3/17/2020
  • Chris Smith
  • Graduated: 2020

"Covalence is the best!"

Joining Covalence to learn how to code is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I was in retail/food service for 10+ years before deciding to learn how to code, and Covalence was exactly what I needed. The way they have their courses set up build... Read More

12/2/2019
  • Megan Solga
  • Molecular: Part-Time Full Stack Development Bootcamp
  • Graduated: 2019

"Better Than In-Person Bootcamp"

Covalence has been an invaluable and well-rounded learning experience for me. I consider myself tech-savvy, but not a gadget geek by any means, and Covalence had a great mix of easy-to-follow video lectures and labs, while also challenging me to find... Read More

I completed the Molecular course in about 7 months, and I finished my final project after that. By the time I was done, I felt ready to walk into a job interview and tell an employer what I could do. That doesn’t mean I can code anything––and from what I know now, almost no developer could––but Covalence helped me acquire the skills necessary to be confident approaching a coding job, and I’m mentally prepared for the process I need to undertake to succeed and the issues I might face along the way. Because of my location I had to choose an online program, but I’m thankful I did in the end; since it was self-paced, I was able to learn a lot more and dig deeper on concepts I didn’t understand well. Two devs I know, who completed in-person 3-month bootcamps, told me I’d probably be a better developer than them because of this difference.

I’m incredibly thankful to the team at Covalence. They are truly supportive of their students, and they are quick to respond to your questions or concerns. When an unexpected life event came up for me, they worked with me to ensure I could take the personal time I needed before coming back to the curriculum and ultimately being able to complete the program.

I loved the way the curriculum is set up. I learned via video lectures at my own pace and I had a webinar I could join every day (Molecular program). Knowing I had a live instructor to work with daily kept me progressing quickly––and I was often lucky to be in webinars by myself so I had personal attention. Plus, I had 1-on-1 mentoring sessions when I needed them for more in-depth stuff. Initially I was afraid of not having that in-person attention, but I realized that I had better attention doing it online through the Molecular route (not to mention time and energy saved when I could literally roll out of bed and start coding). Cost was one of the main reasons I chose Covalence, and frankly I’m impressed with what I received for such an affordable price.

What could they have done better? It's hard to say because all it took was asking. The team/instructors did what they could to make it happen whether it was a mentor session at a weird time or a new video about React Hooks.

All in all you’re learning with a fun and laidback group of people which goes a long way toward keeping your motivation up! My main instructor, Luke, is an awesome, energetic dude and he was instrumental in helping me learn: he was there every day in webinars asking us what we were struggling with, doing a deep dive into a topic or teaching a new trick he learned. The community overall has a wealth of knowledge and experience, so if you’re trying to find some information/answers without luck, the Covalence community will have some solutions for you. Because of them, I always had help when I needed it. On top of that, there are constant discussions about new tools, languages, updates, etc. that your fellow devs are working with/trying out, and bringing your own questions or curiosities to the group is always encouraged. As an alumnus, I know that continuing to be a member of the Covalence community will help me keep up with new stuff happening in the dev world.

When it comes to my new career, Covalence’s career webinars and services have been helpful to get my resume, LinkedIn, and portfolio going. That’s also something my fellow alumni and the instructors are already very helpful with: telling us their personal experiences in interviews, job postings they find, any helpful tips they have. It’s great having some help in this realm since getting your first job can be daunting.

Ultimately, Covalence has been a way to learn full stack development, and (in my opinion) one of the most supported ways I could’ve done it. Being part of a community where everyone congratulates me on my victories, however big or small, and continues to cheer me on has gone a long way toward my learning and my success as I become a web developer.

11/15/2019
  • JAMES WARD
  • Molecular: Part-Time Full Stack Development Bootcamp
  • Graduated: 2019

"High quality bootcamp at affordable price"

Absolutely loved my experience at Covalence. I took the self-paced online Molecular program which at the time of this review is extremely affordable. This program provides 1 on 1 time with an instructor, daily webinars for additional help, and personalized... Read More

5/10/2019
  • Cory | QA Engineer
  • Graduated: 2018

"Great experience gaining in depth understanding"

I had an awesome time learning a fullstack from Covalence. The teachers at Covalence were amazing and quick to respond if I had any questions. I feel like the structure of the course was perfect because they gave you a lot to build a great foundation... Read More

4/17/2019
  • Joshua Holland | Web Dev
  • Graduated: 2018

"A great education and tight nit community"

Covalence taught everything from the basics (html, css, js, ts) to frameworks, building server code, authorization, third party API's, databases, and more. The best thing about Covalence is definitely the support you get from the top notch instructors... Read More

8/30/2018
  • Andrew Cartwright

"Engaging, Educational, Addictive"

I'm currently a student, and at about 1/3 of the way through the curriculum, I'm already applying stuff I've learned to the 'real world', even automating some of the work at my office job. The instructors are knowledgeable and are quick to respond to... Read More

The lectures themselves are very digestable and the info is presented in a very clear format. The labs are pretty fun exercises and they try to keep you engaged. Overall, I'm genuinely enjoying my experience programming through Covalence, and as this review stands, I haven't missed a single day in committing code for this whole month yet.

I can't speak for the job assistance yet because I still have a couple months to go until completion but they still offer advice and webinars year-round for career assistance, so I'd imagine the direct career assistance as you come near the end of the program would be just as on-par as the rest of the course.

Excellent value, excellent product.

8/25/2018
  • Justin Head | Jr Developer
  • Graduated: 2017

"Transformation to Developer"

I can honestly say that I entered Covalence with very little to no experience in Software Development. I had learned some HTML when I was a teenager, but not much more than your average kid with a myspace page. They give you some pre-course work to do... Read More

You will constantly learn new things which can feel overwhelming, but it works because you get to implement the stuff you have already learned throughout the way. The curriculum was certainly well thought out, and they continue to add and improve it. A typical day starts with a lecture on what you will be covering that day, then you usually have some exercises/drills to work on that allow you to get some practice, and then a lab of some sort to continue further with practice. Some days you may take the work home with you, but somedays you may finish before class ends. The instructor in class is available to help you when you get stuck, and you have access to the Covalence community with other students, alumni, and instructors that are always willing to help. Our class learned HTML, CSS, CSS Frameworks, JavaScript, JQuery, React, React-Native, Node, Express, MySQL, SCRUM/AGILE, and GIT(with some team branching techniques).

The class concluded after we completed a Final Group Project that is designed to duplicate what it would be like in a developer environment working with SCRUM and git branching. I think my entire group was proud and impressed about what we were able to do in our final project. I learned throughout the group project how to really research and teach myself to do something outside of the curriculum. In my situation this was how to schedule events on the server that would trigger at certain times of the day in Node. During the project I had certain things I wasn't very confident I could do, but by the end of it I realized I had learned more than I gave myself credit for.

After Covalence:

Within about two weeks of the course I was able to secure employment. Covalence volunteered to publish my story and I encourage anyone interested in Covalence to read it at https://covalence.io/blog/i-spoke-my-employers-language-but-i-couldnt-write-it/

Covalence plans to release more curriculum such as a C# .NET course and I look forward to adding that to my tech stack.

Advice for Prospective Students:

Try to learn some basic HTML, CSS, and JavaScript before going in. The pre-course work is enough, but take your time and retain it. You should expect it to be hard and a lot of work. You will find out that there is not only one way to do things, so don't stress about the instructions on assignments that much. If your like me you probably spent most of your life asking a teacher for assistance when you got stuck, but try and figure it out first. You WILL google for answers to problems or ways to accomplish different things, and that is completely okay and encouraged. If you get your work done before you go home then great, but what else can you work on when you get home? Adding to my assignments at home and going above and beyond the instructions was how I learned additional things and it was very noticeable by the time I got to the final project. I worked every night and every weekend and the course seemed to get easier, but I was just getting better. Remember that learning isn't done when the class ends at 5 no more than it is done when the course is finished.

7/22/2018
  • Betsy (Anne) Bailey
  • Graduated: 2018

"A New Opportunity For Anyone"

I came to Covalence knowing absolutely nothing about programming but eager to create a new opportunity for myself. I was initially anxious about my lack of experience (I had no idea what JavaScript was) but was relieved to find out many of my classmates... Read More

Covalence's instructors are undoubtedly what secures their program's reputation as a five-star boot camp experience and sets them apart from other programs. My instructors, Will and Jio, were enthusiastic about my learning experience and always ready to provide the help I required. They were willing to come in before class, stay after class, and even offered assistance on weekends if needed. This is not to mention that the entire Covalence community of instructors and students was only "a click away" 24/7 on Slack (a community messaging platform) to help with any problems or questions I had.

My classmates included beginning level programmers, as well as students who had considerable experience with code, and both experience levels were able to find what they needed with Covalence's curriculum. More experienced programmers were challenged and learned valuable new skills alongside classmates new to programming. The curriculum was fast paced and downright arduous at times, but it was designed to be so. Covalence was acutely aware of this and ready to step in to assist with or speed along my understanding when necessary. Our instructors genuinely valued the class's feedback and continuously made adjustments to the curriculum when appropriate. The last two weeks of class were dedicated to a final project, during which the instructors began to step back and challenged us to find solutions to our problems with less assistance from them. This time proved to be especially valuable as I became significantly more confident in my coding skills and my ability to perform on my own once in a job setting. Preparing for an entry-level programming job in ten weeks was a demanding process that required me to put in work outside of class in order to keep up with the concepts. If you are willing to dedicate personal time to your learning, this curriculum is designed for your success.

Initially, after graduating Covalence, I began the job search process and was pleased with the effort and enthusiasm Covalence's Director of Student Success, Kimberly, provided me with. She helped edit my resume and cover letters, would send us job listings, and reached out to potential employers on students' behalf.

I eventually decided to continue my programming education instead of directly entering the workforce. I'll soon be moving from Tennessee to California to pursue a degree in computer science. I'm attending a program I surely wouldn't have gotten into without the education and portfolio Covalence equipped me with. I do, however, believe I would have been ready to begin my career as a Full Stack Engineer after attending Covalence had I chosen to.

Well, there you have it! Should you decide to attend Covalence I hope you are able to thrive with them just as I have. Good Luck!

Covalence's average rating is 4.67 out of 5.0 based on 15 review(s).