Data Science Retreat (DSR) is the only data science course in the world with chief-data-scientist-level mentors. DSR helps coders or people with significant quantitative training (e.g. science, engineering, or math graduates) ramp-up rapidly for a data science career - arguably the fastest-growing, highest-demand profession. We train both data scientists and Data Engineer. Our participants have an average of 5 years of industry experience.
DSR is a 3-month, in-person, rigorous, and full-time/intensive course in the startup-capital of Europe: Berlin. You’ll learn software engineering, data science, business analysis and communication faster and more deeply with mentors doing code review...Read more
No courses listed yet!
As some background, I got into Data Science after a computer error resulted in my undergraduate senior seminar being Machine Learning and Big Data for Finance and Economics at Columbia University. While having absolutely no Comp-Sci background, I voiced no protest and took the course believing "it could be fun". By the end, I was in love with Data Science and promptly decided to switch careers paths immediately.
While I loved the subject, I had profound reservations with the course itself. Its math/statistics intensive approach was alienating, and lacked conceptual explanation. Our home works were to copy code using perfectly clean datasets (spoiler alert: 90% of data science is cleaning and mining data) and left me unprepared to deal with the messy [insert profanity] that are Censu...Read more
Great review. Do you remember where are job offering companies situated? Was it possible to get a position in any part of Europe, or mostly in Western Europe (countries with strong economies)? Thanks, Stjepan
For a few weeks, I researched and applied to a few data science bootcamps worldwide. Some bootcamps focused heavily on statistics, which I found later on, are not true ML bootcamps. These are based on using statistical techniques to gain insights from data. Other bootcamps were too simple, and focused on SQL. However, I was after ML and artificial intelligence (A.I.), and that’s what I found at DSR.
Data Science Retreat covers a comprehensive, very intensive and practical training on using the most recent advances in the tools required to becoming a data scientist, machine learning engineer, and a very good understanding of big data handling (data engineering, distributed systems).
The instruction style is perfect; the instructors describe the main idea and let you struggle in fin...Read more
A refreshing experience that pushes you to explore further data science and create an ambitious portfolio project. You will undoubtly get a job at the end of the course.
During the bootcamp I personally felt the switch from learner to skilled practitioner, and it gave me great confidence in my abilities as a data scientist. I enjoyed the informal atmosphere and collaboration with my peer learners.
- Small batches (8 to 10 participants), proper selection of participants
- DSR covers what online courses don't cover. Assuming you come well prepared (already know python and machine learning), it will boost your skills and make you employable
- Most teachers are extremely skilled and really know their area. Some might not be able to follow though, so expect to spend ...Read more
- I find the screening and selection process quite intensive. So, everyone attending data science retreat are more or less in an intermediate or advanced level. So, you learn a lot from your batch mates.
- Lecturers are experts in their respective field
- The regularly updated syllabus me
- Smaller batch size, in my batch it was 7
- Attracting practising data scientists to sharpen their skills ( had a batchmate, who was working as a data scientist in a company)
- Supportive staff, spacious place to work and discuss
Not sure pro or con-
- Pressure to come up with data product with value for a project portfolio.
- Meerkat method? am still thinking whether it was used or not
I attended batch 8 of DSR - it was a great experience. The mentors and teachers are fantastic and greatly accelerate the learning curve. The curriculum is excellent and covered all the job interview questions I was asked - demo day had some great employers, and there is good support to help you find jobs.
It is however not for everyone - you are not spoonfed tutorials about how to do everything - you are given tools and methods to allow you to implement things, so this requires a lot of independent work - however, this means you can move fast and get a lot out of it.
Highly recommended if you are very motivated and want to learn as fast as possible and start a career as a data scientist.
Front-End Development, HTML/..
Chicago, NYC, Online
React, PostgreSQL, Node.js, ..
Full Stack Java, Language R,..