Evolve Security Academy

Courses: Cybersecurity Bootcamp: IN-PERSON (Chicago), Cybersecurity Bootcamp: REMOTE (Live-Online), Penetration Testing Advanced Track (live-online)

Online, Chicago

About Evolve Security Academy

Evolve Security Academy offers holistic cybersecurity education as well as advanced tracks on specific areas within cybersecurity. Courses are held in Chicago, IL and live-online. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp provides hands-on and immersive training, giving... Read More

The holistic Cybersecurity Bootcamp is 20 weeks and part-time and the options include: IN-PERSON (Chicago) Bootcamp or REMOTE (live-online) Bootcamp.

The advanced tracks are 5 weeks, part-time and live-online. The Advanced Tracks options include Penetration Testing and Application Security.

Cybersecurity Bootcamp: IN-PERSON (Chicago)

• Cost: $14,500
Locations: Chicago

In-person, immersive and hands-on training delivered part-time in Chicago delivered with face-to-face instruction, recorded lectures and lab tutorials. Students receive a hands-on holistic curriculum, real work experience, job preparation, and a vast network of alumni in an intimate classroom setting.

Curriculum: The curriculum includes modules on the following topics: Introduction to Cybersecurity, Networking, Security Program, OSINT & Social Engineering, Threat Landscape, Scripting for Security, SecOps Architecture, SecOps Threat Modeling, Cryptography, AppSec & Offensive Security, Threat Hunting & Incident Response, Security Apprenticeship, and Job Preparation. An overview can be found on our website.

Outcomes: Upon successful completion of the bootcamp, graduates are able to not only understand the theory behind information security, but also how to apply it in real world situations.

In addition, graduates receive:

- Certificate of Completion and digital badge (290 CPE credits) upon successfully completing the course requirements and final exam.
- Evolve Security Certified Professional (ESCP) certification and digital badge upon meeting course requirements and passing the final ESCP lab exam.
- CompTIA Security+ Certification voucher to take the certification within 90 days after the bootcamp at no cost.
- A network of cybersecurity professionals and experts from different organizations and backgrounds.
- Real world project experience as a Security Apprentice that ca be shared with potential employers.
- Preparation for other information security certifications if pursuing them.
- Job preparation services and support in landing a cybersecurity related job.

Subjects: Linux, Command Line, Python, Data Analytics, Cyber Security, Penetration Testing, Cryptography, Network Security

Cybersecurity Bootcamp: REMOTE (Live-Online)

• Cost: $12,500
Locations: Online

In addition, graduates receive:

- Preparation for other information security certifications if pursuing them.
- Job preparation services and support in landing a cybersecurity related job.

Penetration Testing Advanced Track (live-online)

• Cost: $3,200
Locations: Online

This training is 5-weeks of immersive and hands-on training, delivered remotely through live instruction, recorded lectures and lab tutorials. Students will gain the knowledge to deliver a full penetration test, from scoping to reporting, at the network and application layer. Each lab is created based off real world situations encountered by Evolve Security penetration testers. There is no capture the flag exercises, made up scenarios or silly puzzles.

This training is designed for anyone who wants to become a penetration tester or who is interested on how hacker breaches an organization.
(Topics Covered)

- Evasion Techniques
- Post Exploitation, Pivoting and Persistence
- Reporting and Remediation

(Outcome)

Students will have the knowledge and skills to perform a penetration testing assessment on an organization and report the findings / vulnerabilities. Students are exposed to numerous types of practical vulnerable systems that are readily seen in the industry and will have the understanding of how to identify, exploit and remediate them.

Each week, students work through various labs that will give you the concrete, hands-on work experience. Upon successful completion of the course material and final lab assessment report, you will receive the Evolve Security Certified Penetration Tester (ESCPT) certification and 50 CPE credits.

Subjects: Linux, Windows Server, TCP/IP, Data Analytics, Cyber Security, Penetration Testing

Evolve Security Academy Reviews

Overall

4.86/5

5/13/2020
  • Akhly Hammouda | Cybersecurity Apprentice
  • Graduated: 2019

"I learned a lot, and I had fun."

It was such a privilege to have participated in this boot-camp. Even if I haven't yet landed a cybersecurity job (don't know why), but I think I acquired enough skills to be able to do any entry-level cybersecurity job out there, and even more advanced... Read More

5/11/2020
  • IsaiahLittle
  • Graduated: 2020

"Amazing experience!"

Evolve Security Had a vast amount of information to learn from, I loved the course material as it is updated and fresh. The instructors do an amazing job at teaching the material and are very patient with students that needed help. The school is a lot... Read More

Pros:
-Great material
-very Knowledgeable staff
-Extra fun activities for the students to increase skills(safe pentesting)
-Getting real world experience with other company's to see what it's like.
----Most importantly----
You get the most out of the course in person which I would recommend you taking for the more hands on experience!
Cons:
-Short time span: If the Course was longer we could spend more time on the material.

But Overall Evolve Security is an amazing school if you want to increase your knowledge on cyber security and I highly recommend Evolve to anyone that is trying to advance in their career of cyber security. I really want to thank the instructors for all the help and support they have giving me on my journey on learning the material!

5/11/2020
  • Jacob A
  • Graduated: 2018

"Great for breaking into security field"

I attended Evolve Security online bootcamp in 2018 fall.
Pros:
-Hands on curriculum. Lots of real life examples of different security tools and projects.
-Management is very engaged with every process of the bootcamp. They constantly talk to students... Read More

Cons:
-Cant remember many. However class materials and assignment resources can be organized better on the bootcamp website. Some other students did not complain about this, but I sometimes would get confused about what is where & due dates. Teacher assistants and group chat was always available if you needed help.

5/9/2020
  • DM | Cybersecurity Assessment Specialist
  • Graduated: 2019

"The launching pad I needed"

I completed Evolve's remote bootcamp in 2019. Here's why I recommend it:

-Good for working professionals: I was able to complete the bootcamp online while working full-time in an unrelated field.

-Good for people with a nontechnical background/desiring... Read More

-Good for getting connected to the community: Evolve is a very supportive crew. Even as a remote student, I was given the opportunity to connect in various ways with numerous Evolve staff, alumni, and its broader network from early on. These connections helped me effectively leverage my Evolve education to secure a full-time cybersecurity job a month or so after finishing the bootcamp. I'm so grateful.
-Good exposure to industry tools: I'm almost a year into that security job now, and using many of the same tools I was first exposed to during Evolve. Just the other day, I dug up some of my Evolve lab materials because they were relevant to something I'm about to use more in my work.

All said: I'm a fan!

• Ian Schlesinger | Platform Specialist
  • Graduated: 2019

"If you are wanting to get your mind saturated in the InfoSec world, acquire boundless new skills, and work with people that truly care about you, take this bootcamp."

Attending this bootcamp was my first step into the infoSec world and I am not sure I could have chosen a better place to start. I did lots of research and eventually landed with Evolve Security Academy.

What you learn in this bootcamp is undeniably immense... Read More

If you read reviews for other bootcamps you will often hear that it's either a hit or miss depending on the instructors, I can tell you that every instructor at Evolve will have you wishing that they could have all been your instructor.

The only fault with this course is that it eventually had an end. Ha. I actually loved it so much that I became an instructional assistant for this very bootcamp. This is one family that you want to join and never leave!

• Brandon Heihn | IT Security Analyst
  • Graduated: 2018

"Best decision of my life"

Evolve Security Academy is worth every penny. I needed a career change and had some familiarity with computers but nowhere close to the level required for even an entry level IT job. Andrew saw the passion I had and I started Evolve Security Academy online... Read More

• Reg Spalding | Tech Support Specialist
  • Graduated: 2018

"There was a lot of info...Very Good instructor...I enjoyed interacting with fellow students."

I appreciate the hands on aspect and the instruction was very good. I would have liked to been assigned a mentor and perform the site survey at a time good for the class. I am currently studying for the Security Cert Exam and would like to do more practical... Read More

• Ricardo Barajas Jr
  • Graduated: 2019

"Transformative experience, going from base level understanding to well rounded and able to speak with experts."

This experience allowed me to understand self-motivation and how to survive in the industry. The only con I can think of is not keeping up can have you playing catch-up. This bootcamp covers almost every sect of possible cyber security jobs. When you... Read More

• Gregoire Magadini | FinTech Co-Founder

"Worth it!"

I took this bootcamp back in spring 2018. It was amazing. There was so much material to learn. I don't think anyone could learn all this material all on their own. The instructors were top notch and to this day I keep in touch with them. I don't regret... Read More

• Artee Arenas | Sr. Systems Engineer
  • Graduated: 2020

"Wonderful experience!"

I graduated as part of Evolve Security Academy's Winter 2019 In-Person cohort. I've never attended a Cybersecurity bootcamp but I have been doing IT for 10+ years. It was a pleasure learning and working with the other students, and although my background... Read More

The instructors were wonderful. They are industry professionals doing active cybersecurity work in the daytime and come to teach in the evenings. I thought it was great having an actual team of instructors teaching throughout the entirety of the bootcamp rather than just having a single instrcutor the entire time. They each shared their unique backgrounds, methods, and experiences that brought great insight to the diversity of the field.

Now I realize that there are other methods to learning about Cybersecurity aside from attending a bootcamp. I chose to enroll in the in-person cohort becuase I felt a sense of commitment after having gone through the enrollment process with ESA and the VA for tuition. I did it for the dedicated learning environment and the in-person professional networking which I thought was a great value.

Now being in the field of IT, things can change and develop rapidly. With that in mind I think the curriculum was curated as an introduction to scratch the surface of the many specialties in the field. We covered topics from Scripting, Networking, Pen-testing, and Cryptography amongst others. The labs we completed simulated real world situations. It was a lot to take in and can be very daunting to someone with no technology background but the instructors did their very best to ensure the students understood the subject matter. You can't teach everything in 16 weeks, but I think they did a wonderful job teaching us the fundamental methodologies to become a successful cybersecurity professional.

Although I was not seeking employment during my time, I believe the time spent on career preparation really brought great value. I really wish I had something like that prior to entering the field. The instructors and career prep coach each brought their personal insight to to the job seeking process. Evolve also organizes frequent webinars and in-person meetups. These sorts of events are a great way to introduce and welcome outside individuals to the local cybersec community and offer the opportunity to network with other industry professionals.

If anyone is looking to explore and dive into the field of cybersecurity, I would gladly recommend Evolve. It was an phenomenal 16 weeks and your relationship with ESA stays with you. The experience really is career changing.

Evolve Security Academy's average rating is 4.86 out of 5.0 based on 111 review(s).