Metis

Courses: Beginner Python and Math for Data Science, Data Analytics Bootcamp, Data Analytics Online Flex Bootcamp, Data Science & Engineering Bootcamp, Data Science & Engineering Online Flex Bootcamp, Data Science & Machine Learning Bootcamp, Data Science & Machine Learning Online Flex Bootcamp, +6 more.
Data Science Bootcamp, Data Science Online Flex Bootcamp, Introduction to Data Science, Metis Admissions Prep, Short Immersive Courses, Short Immersive Online Flex Courses

Online

About Metis

Metis offers data science and analytics training via Live Online and Online Flex bootcamps & courses, part-time bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs. The Metis Data Science & Analytics Bootcamps provide specialized curriculums with expert... Read More

Career support primarily occurs during a dedicated Career Week that begins right after each bootcamp ends. This additional week, included in the tuition, provides students with laser-focused attention from Career Advisors while they immerse in career-focused workshops, employer panels, and mock technical interviews. Graduates leave qualified for data science and analytics roles. As always, Metis provides graduates access to alumni resources and career support until they’re hired. The Metis hiring network is over 200 companies strong, including Facebook, Amazon, and Capital One.

To apply for the Metis Data Science & Analytics Bootcamps, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics. Prior to starting the program, students must complete 36 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep platform for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills, in addition to part-time, online Bootcamp Prep Courses. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science & Analytics field.

For students looking to gain in-demand data science and analytics skills on a tighter timeline, Metis also offers Short Immersive Courses. Each lasts two-to-four weeks and enables students to learn from elite instructors in a unique format that culminates in an end-to-end project they can add to their professional portfolio. If you’re curious about the bootcamp experience, these short immersive courses are a great way to experience how it all operates. Students learn in the same formats taught by the same incredible instructors who teach the bootcamps.

Students who apply by May 17 and enroll by June 4 will receive 30% reduced tuition on one of the Online Flex bootcamp programs.

Metis Admissions Prep

• Cost: Free
Locations: Online

Develop Your Data Science Fundamentals & Prepare to Apply to the Metis Bootcamp. Register Here: https://www.thisismetis.com/admissions-prep

Metis Admissions Prep is a free online tool that helps prospective Data Science Bootcamp students understand more about how to prep for the admissions process and how to gauge their readiness. Designed by the Metis Admissions and Senior Data Science teams, this tool helps students build their Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability, Statistics, and Python fundamentals. After studying the modules and accompanying exercises, students will feel more confident about their skills and their next step towards a career in data science.

Short Immersive Courses

• Cost: $3,500
Locations: Online

This new offering will enable students to learn from elite instructors in an intensive, full-time format, while also applying what they learned to an end-to-end project that can be added to their professional portfolio. In total we're launching 7 courses, ranging in topics from Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA) to Deep Learning Fundamentals.

The first EDA will begin on March 22, 2021.

Subjects: Machine Learning, Data Analytics, Data Science

Short Immersive Online Flex Courses

• Cost: $2,500
Locations: Online

Metis now offers their short immersive courses via an Online Flex format, enabling students to learn from the same expert instructors, while also applying what they learned to an end-to-end project that can be added to their professional portfolio. In total there are 7 courses, ranging in topics from Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA) to Deep Learning Fundamentals.

Subjects: Data Analytics

Metis Reviews

Overall

4.9/5

4/13/2020
  • Graduated: 2020

"Metis Data Science Bootcamp - Online Only"

Motivation: I am a mid-career student who has managed data scientists in the past but never really got very technical with implementing models. I took this course to become more familiar with machine learning and AI in order to complement my technology... Read More

Curriculum: The curriculum is well thought out and focuses on both practical implementation along with theory. The curriculum is designed to truly give you both a birds-eye view and hands-on skill with all parts of machine learning/AI, big data, visualization, Python, environment setup, etc.

Teachers: The teachers are top-notch; they were experts who have held significant roles in industry and not purely focused on academic research.

Job Assistance/Training: The job assistance and training also gave me a great new vantage point with which to conduct a job search. They even provide amazing post-bootcamp resources like: career coaching, mock-interviews and an alumni Slack channel.

Bottom-Line: Metis was a great experience from beginning to end. I was part of the first online-only cohort and it was a seamless experience from interacting with teachers to collaborating with your fellow students and teaching assistants. I think all-in-all this was a great value for money but it depends on how focused you are to get the results you want!

4/13/2020
  • molly liebeskind
  • Graduated: 2020

"Metis bootcamp exceeded my expectations!"

Overview: Metis exceeding my expectation. The program is designed to provide a holistic understanding of data science including machine learning, programming, statistical analysis, and data communication. Through five end-to-end machine learning projects,... Read More

Instructors/support:
* The instructors are eager to teach and help you understand the material. They offer instruction through classroom lectures, daily coding challenges, and one-on-one projects support. They are always available to dive deeper into a subject in one-one-one or small group conversations as needed and provided ample support to each student.
* The career advisors ensure you are prepared for your job hunt with workshops, resume support, and one-on-one advising. Throughout the job application and interview process, they help you understand your strengths and provide coaching and opportunities to practice skills that you aren't as strong in.
* The managing team is very helpful and curates the space for each cohort. With a large open area, ample tables and monitors, and a full kitchen, the space has everything you could need to be successful in bootcamp.

Preparation: From day one the program is intense and exciting. Prior to bootcamp, I participated in the pre-bootcamp training course to learn python and get a feel for machine learning and statistics. The pre course prepared me great for the bootcamp and set me up for a successful 12 weeks. Additional bonus, the $750 cost for that course is then deducted from the tuition of the bootcamp!

I strongly recommend Metis for anyone interested in transitioning to a career in data science.

2/9/2020
  • Charlie Yaris
  • Graduated: 2019

"Metis - One Year After Bootcamp"

I had a great experience at Metis’s Chicago campus. I currently work as a Data Management Associate and can credit Metis for helping me land this opportunity in so many different ways. The course itself gave me great preparation for interviews, but I... Read More

Metis’s entire staff is so incredibly
dedicated to the success of their students. This not only allows for fulfilling learning experiences during the actual course, but also ensures further support and guidance after the course ends. I’ve kept in touch with Metis’s staff after the program and am always impressed with how welcoming they are to alumni visits. This welcoming culture has also introduced me to several students who took Metis’s bootcamp during a different session than me.

You are sure to receive great instruction during the Metis’s bootcamp. What really sets Metis apart though is that the entire staff loves helping students realize their full potential.

12/11/2019
  • Graduated: 2018

"Excellent Instructors & Career Guidance"

Having worked as a data scientist for a little over a year, I can say with full confidence that Metis has been an extremely valuable experience.

I came into Metis without any technical work experience. I graduated with a BA in Economics and worked in... Read More

Though the program is only 12 weeks long, you definitely learn a lot. The instructors are very involved and really care about your learning. I was super lucky to have such sharp and collaborative cohort mates, which made the program even more rewarding. You also receive excellent career support during and after the bootcamp until you land a job. Since I was coming from a nontechnical background, I made sure to follow the advice from our career advisor as much as possible (Thank you, Andrew!). I eventually got my current role through a referral from a Metis alum. Even though it's been more than a year since I completed the program, I still refer to some of the material from class and keep in touch with the Metis community.

Tips:
- Complete the pre-work before starting the bootcamp
- Take a class on Python before the bootcamp if you do not have a computer science background (I recommend the Introduction to Python Programming edX courses from Georgia Tech)
- Follow the career advice and network as much as you can
- Collaborate with your cohort mates
- Continue to sharpen your skills even after the bootcamp

11/3/2019
  • Eric Patterson
  • Graduated: 2018

"Best Way to Break Into the Industry"

I came to Metis directly out of undergrad, having done a computer science and math minor, along with some econometrics. I knew that I wanted to be a data analyst or data scientist, but was disappointed with the responsibilities and salary of jobs that... Read More

At Metis the main things I gained were:
1. Knowledge of all the core Machine Learning algorithms and data science concepts. This is the minimum that every bootcamp you are looking at hopefully offers to you. Metis's instructors are exceptional, care deeply about the success of their students, and are experienced in the industry so you are getting the best instruction.
2. Access to a tightly-knit network of alumni. The alumni network is very active and its easy to get in touch with the vast majority of people. This is invaluable when it comes time to search for that job. My current job I landed due to a connection with another Metis graduate. I can confirm that our program has a very good reputation within the industry as well.
3. Something to put on my resume that separated me from the rest of applicants looking to get into the industry. Most people that are looking to break into that entry level position really only have experience in school, as I did when I was first looking for a role. Being able to provide proof that I did complete data science projects, talk about what I did, and how that can transfer over to a company, is invaluable in making yourself stand out from the crowd.
4. Interview preparedness, resume, and networking skills. This is perhaps the most undervalued part of a program like this. Like it or hate it, interviewing is basically a skill set unto itself that will highly determine your salary and whether or not you get offered roles in the first place. Interviewing is all about communication skills, which is the top thing that employers are looking for in the industry today (many data scientists are awful communicators), so it is a vital skill to your career.

So that is the main benefits of Metis. In my personal experience, I have found that people who opt for online bootcamps or ML courses are generally not nearly as successful in every aspect from learning the material, to lacking that oomph factor on a resume (as it is easy to claim doing something online), to being able to communicate what they've done in an interview, to lacking the network that a physical bootcamp brings you. For all those reasons I would never reccomend an online ML bootcamp to anyone.

In terms of physical bootcamps, I can definitely say that from my experience, Metis is the leader in the space right now. It's program is very, very intensive for all twelve weeks. Be prepared to work. Every morning, you will learn from your instructors about the ML algorithms and other data science concepts. In the afternoons, you will complete a data science project led by you that implements the algorithms you are learning. Every day you take what you learn and go and apply it immediately without hesitation. The cost is a hefty investment, but in my personal experience and in the experience of every person I have asked about it, the program pays for itself within two years, and often times within one. The interviewing skills alone are probably worth 10k if you have no experience with that like I had. Additionally, you will be working in the hottest industry on the planet right now, with AI and ML seeing hefty investments all across the globe, so there is no lack of opportunity in the field.

Overall, Metis was an amazing experience. The people there are incredible, and it a hyper focused and collaborative learning environment unlike any i have ever been in. I would sincerely recommend Metis to everyone who wants to become a data scientist but doesn't have a pathway based on their current situation.

10/24/2019
  • Lukas Wadya
  • Graduated: 2019

"Worth the time commitment and money"

Pros:
I was looking for an intense, well-run program that would help me get a job as a data scientist, and Metis absolutely delivered. I left my previous career in a completely unrelated field, 3D animation, in March, started the Metis bootcamp in April,... Read More

Cons:
I have no substantial complaints about Metis so I'm mostly nitpicking or mentioning general bootcamp issues here. Twelve weeks is a really short time to turn someone into a data scientist, so don't expect to acquire a deep understanding of every topic covered. Some lessons are merely a cursory introduction to a topic that you can choose to explore in-depth outside of lecture time. Metis has a job board to connect alumni with hiring partners, but I didn't find many posts for jobs in NYC. This isn't really a negative, but bootcamps can only do so much to help you get a job; you'll have to do most of the work of finding appropriate job posts and networking on your own. Career advisors are there to help you along the way but they can't just gift you a job.

Additional Advice:
Do your research before committing to a specific bootcamp or the immersive course route in general as it may not be the right fit for you. Reading alumni reviews is a good start but I recommend going to an open house or private tour of each prospective bootcamp if you're able to do so to make sure you like both the instructors and the classroom environment. Finally, read a diversity of opinions as any one reviewer's situation may not closely resemble yours. If you'd like to read more about my experience at Metis, check out my blog posts on the subject: https://wadya.com/blog/2019/05/21/metis-pre-bootcamp-and-week-1/.

10/23/2019
  • David Ash
  • Graduated: 2019

"very high quality and fast paced instruction"

I came to Metis with a strong existing background in artificial intelligence, but having been in one job for a number of years, feeling the need to upgrade my skills and rebrand a bit as a data scientist. The 12 week course was intense and with just the... Read More

10/1/2019
  • Aisulu
  • Graduated: 2019

"Data Science full-time program"

I recently graduated from Data Science full-time Bootcamp. The Bootcamp opened my eyes to learning what is state of the art of Machine Learning and Deep Learning. I had a great experience with career coaches and instructors. Everyone deeply cares about... Read More

9/16/2019
  • Scott Butters
  • Graduated: 2019

"Excellent school to transition into data science"

The Decision

Deciding to transition my career from mechanical engineering and robotics to pursue data science was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. Attending Metis made that process worlds easier than it could have been, however, and I haven't... Read More

Research

Before enrolling in Metis, I spent months considering all of the options available to me. I researched other local data science bootcamps like Galvanize and General Assembly, as well as online platforms like DataCamp, Dataquest, Udemy, Udacity, and others. I studied, I toured campuses and talked with instructors, career advisors, current and former data science students. I did my best to weigh all the options and make an informed decision, and the process led me to select Metis as the best option available to me to help me successfully transition from where I'd been to where I wanted to be.

Preparation

For personal reasons, I actually deferred starting at Metis by about 6 months after I applied, and in the grand scheme I'm glad that I did. Metis allows students enrolled in the full time data science immersive program to also take a part time online course of their choice for free, so during those 6 months I also took their Statistics for Data Scientists course, which was a great warm up for the challenges to come. I also used this time to complete the Data Scientist curriculum offered by dataquest.io, which I found to be an overall well designed and nicely presented overview of just about every topic that's covered by the Metis DS immersive (this took me about 5 months to complete, dedicating ~10 hours a week to the study on nights and weekends). This was a lot of upfront work, but quitting my job to move off in an uncertain direction seemed like a big risk so I took it seriously. This allowed me to gain a nice foundation of knowledge to build off of while still saving up for an extended period of unemployment, and definitely paid dividends once the bootcamp started.

To anybody thinking about enrolling in a DS bootcamp down the line, I strongly recommend completing an online course first, both to make sure you actually like the work and also to familiarize yourself with the content so you'll be even more successful in the bootcamp experience.

The Bootcamp

The Metis Data Science Immersive was great. My cohort had a particularly small class size, only 6 students with 2 full time instructors, 2 occasional visiting instructors, and a very talented and dedicated career advisor. The staff exceeded my expectations on a regular basis. They're knowledgeable about a wide range of material and are passionate about teaching their students the skills they'll need to succeed. The program is specific to data science, but designed to be flexible enough to approachable and valuable to students coming from a wide range of backgrounds and abilities. The material is taught with a nice combination of theoretical background and practical application, and the project-based nature of the course really makes the level of challenge a function of the student's appetite and ambition. Each project is as hard as you want it to be, you get out what you put in, and your peers and the instructors are there to help and support you every step of the way.

In terms of the level of challenge--everybody's experience and background are different, so I can only speak for myself--for me, it was challenging, but manageable. More than anything, it was intense. For the 12 weeks that the course lasted, I largely put the rest of my life on hold and worked ~80 hours/week on my projects and the curriculum. I was still able to maintain at least 6 hours of sleep most nights, but I was definitely dreaming about my work. The bootcamp was an endurance marathon, for sure. Not quite as bad as the worst parts of college, but close.

But then it ended and I was on the other side. Not only had I shored up my working knowledge of supervised and unsupervised learning, Pandas and scikit-learn, the difference between CNNs and RNNs and LSTMs and more, how to detect overfitting or design a metric or select a model, how to scrape data from the web or deploy a model in a web app--I'd actually done all of these things, and had full projects complete with code, presentations, and blog posts forming a highly visible portfolio that I could use to demonstrate to future employers that I actually know how to do the things on my resume.

What Comes After

The bootcamp is only 12 weeks, and much as it's all you can focus on while you're there, it's the means, not the end. I still had to get a job. While I'd saved up enough beforehand to survive an extended job search, I didn't actually want to drain my savings, so I jumped right in. I set a goal of starting a new job within 3 months of finishing the bootcamp and thought about what it would take to get there. I'd heard it was common for it to take 4-6 weeks or more from application to offer, and the common impression I got from talking to bootcamp grads is that you may well end up submitting dozens or even hundreds of applications before you actually get an offer. In short, finding the right fit is a full time job, and even getting your foot in the door enough to have a conversation with a potential employer takes intention, persistence, and a bit of creativity.

Here, however, is where Metis shines as well. The career counselor, Marybeth, as well as the instructors, were involved and supportive every step of the way, constantly checking in and offering help with everything from resume and cover letter reviews to practice interviews to job referrals and facilitating introductions. As long as you're willing to work, they're willing to help. I took advantage of all of these things and I think they paid off. I aimed to apply to 10 new jobs per week, and though I fell short of that goal, aiming high kept me active. It was slow getting traction, but eventually the pace picked up and I found myself juggling calls with recruiters, scheduling interviews, and having to meticulously track each job application in a spreadsheet to keep it all in order.

I feel fortunate to say that, somehow, my job hunt went pretty much exactly according to plan. 7 weeks after finishing at Metis, I accepted a job offer as a data scientist with a focus in computer vision. I'm genuinely excited about both the work and the company, and the skills and support I got from Metis were instrumental in getting me here. Huge thanks to everybody at Metis for all of the help, and best of luck to everybody out there considering a path like this for yourself!

8/12/2019
  • Ana | Engineer
  • Data Science Immersive Bootcamp
  • Graduated: 2017

"Thoughts on Metis two years later"

I completed Metis' data science bootcamp in April of 2017. Overall, I had a fantastic experience and learned a ton. Don't be fooled by the "bootcamp" style of learning. The curriculum is rigorous and the coursework moves quickly. You'll do well if you... Read More

After completing the program I started a job at Amazon and have had the opportunity to be a part of some amazing and impactful projects!

Metis's average rating is 4.9 out of 5.0 based on 107 review(s).