Prime Digital Academy

Courses: Full Stack Engineering, User Experience Design

Kansas City, Minneapolis

About Prime Digital Academy

Prime is an 18 week accelerated learning program teaching foundational software engineering skills through a fullstack Javascript development curriculum. The 18 week program is supplemented by an apprenticeship network with dozens of companies signed... Read More

Meaningful Industry Involvement
Founded by and co-located with award-winning software development company, The Nerdery, Prime brings a holistic approach to helping students understand the job of a software engineer and how they’ll need to interface and collaborate with project managers, designers, quality assurance and especially clients and stakeholders. Students will experience the vibrant culture of The Nerdery and get real exposure to the working life of a software engineer starting on their first day of school.

Instructors Who Work in the Field
Supporting our seasoned instructors, classroom mentorship at Prime is delivered through a unique sabbatical program that offers working software engineers of our hiring network the chance to bring their expertise into the classroom without leaving their job. As a student you’ll spend each day learning from technical experts with up-to-the-minute insight you won't find in any textbook.

Learn By Doing
Prime’s curriculum is engineered from top to bottom to prepare you for the software engineering workplace through exposure to pragmatic best practices and real world work. Our assignments are abstracted from work done by entry level programmers in our hiring network, and the projects in the second half of the program are tackling the real technology needs of startups in our community. You’ll leave the program with a portfolio of work, not just a collection of homework exercises.

Learn Through Apprenticeship
The hardest part of launching a new career is getting your foot in the door. Prime Digital Academy’s partnerships with dozens of local tech employers connect you with hiring managers at the industry's best workplaces. Our network of apprenticeship positions, designed specifically with Prime graduates in mind provides three or more months of paid, on the job experience to get your resume started. Placement in these programs must be earned, but we’ve worked with the network to ensure that you’re learning everything you need to know to hit the ground running in your first gig as a software engineer.

Get the latest details on the program at http://primeacademy.io

Full Stack Engineering

User Experience Design

• Cost: $12,500
Locations: Minneapolis

Prime's software engineer training program includes 6 weeks of online pre-study with weekly instructor check-ins before diving into an intensive 12 week classroom experience covering full-stack javascript development. Students graduating from the course are encouraged to take advantage of a network of paid apprenticeship opportunities offered by many of the over 30 companies participating in Prime's curriculum and hiring network.

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript, Data Structures

Prime Digital Academy Reviews

Overall

4.87/5

7/2/2021
  • William Krug | Full Stack Software Developer
  • Full Stack Engineering
  • Graduated: 2021

"Absolutely Amazing"

Attending Prime Digital Academy (Prime) was a game, and life, changer. Over the course of 4 years, I earned an AS in Computer Science while working full time. After being let go, breaking into the tech community with an AS was near impossible. Lots of... Read More

6/10/2021
  • Alex | Application Support Developer
  • Full Stack Engineering
  • Graduated: 2021

"Great Experience!"

I enrolled into Prime Digital Academy during the summer of 2020, graduated January 2021. The only thing I would do different, is go back in time and force myself to do it sooner! The whole process from start to finish was well worth it. There are ups... Read More

7/19/2019
  • Konou Vang | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2019

"Amazing Experience!!!"

Enrolling into Prime Digital Academy Kansas City has truly the best decision I have made in my life. Today was graduation and I was happier today than I was when I received my Bachelors or my Masters. Words cannot sum up the value of what I learned, not... Read More

I built a full stack fully functional application that incorporates AWS that I use in my business. I then worked in a four member team to build a fully functional application to serve a client's need that incorporated the use of Google Calendar API and Twilio API! That's TWO APPLICATIONS that are in use! How many bootcamps can claim that?! That's just a part of the professional technical skills they teach. They also work on speech using the Toastmaster's method and taught us how to fail so that we can succeed. I'm not going to lie when I say that I don't get nervous to present in front of a crowd, but failing in front of my peers allowed me to succeed on the big presentation day.

Prime Digital Academy is the embodiment of Furious Learning. The instructors make sure that we are emotionally ready to learn, they lecture, and then give us assignments to reinforce and retain the information. It's not a joke when I say that you could be spending 60 to 80 hours a week on the accumulation of those assignments and weekend challenges.

The instructors are truly amazing people. I wish I can give them 10 stars instead of 5. They give 110% effort into helping you learn and are as emotionally invested in your growth as you are.

Prime might not be for everyone but when you put in the time and effort, it will change your life.

7/19/2019
  • Austin Burgard
  • Graduated: 2019

"Best Decision I've Ever Made"

Prime is amazing and the best decision I've made in my professional life.

TL;DR

Prime is a full-time, intensive program. It doesn't fit everybody's learning style or life situation. As I began to look into software engineering I was uncertain about many... Read More

I came across Prime while doing research on local programs and I set up an appointment that forever changed the trajectory of my life. This program is not easy. The instructors will push you to the point of failure. I wish I would've known that because then it would've made my first few weeks a bit more bearable. But it's when you get to the point of failure that you're ready to learn.

The instructors take massive amounts of personal time to help whenever there is a question but you have to be willing to ask. You can't get help until you put your pride away and ask. They bring in tech companies from the community, they teach how to speak, and they enable us to do real projects that help real clients.

We learn full-stack JavaScript. The curriculum goes deeper than any other program I've researched. We go deep into JavaScript, React, Redux, Node, SQL, etc. As I said, this isn't for the faint of heart and you will be pushed. You'll need to rely on your fellow team members, the instructors, and your support system. If you can't make it through the program you only pay for what you were taught. So, yes it's expensive, it's full-time, but it takes that kind of commitment to become a good software engineer and transition to a new career. Take the risk on yourself, you won't regret it.

I loved the cohort I was in. We all came from diverse backgrounds and that enabled us to work well together. There were times of friction, as in any group, but we rallied and encouraged each other to press on and now we're graduating.

Prime cares deeply for its students. I have never encountered a more helpful and loving group of people. One of the major positives is that they don't leave you after you graduate. They stick by your side and keep you accountable. They give you all the tools you need to succeed and are by your side every step of the way.

Prime not only made me into a software engineer but they helped me to grow as a person. I was pushed like never before, I wanted to quit on day 2, but I trusted the system and I'm incredibly thankful I did. I'm forever grateful to the wonderful people at Prime KC. They're amazing people, instructors, and friends.

8/14/2018
  • Anonymous | Technical Analyst
  • Graduated: 2016

"Prime Digital Academy worth every minute, every penny"

I had an excellent experience attending Prime Digital Academy. I had zero coding experience before applying for the program. This was a complete career switch. The course was fast-paced and challenging, but the curriculum was very well-planned. The staff... Read More

• Anonymous | Lead Developer
  • Graduated: 2018

"A Great Choice for the Dedicated"

Prime Digital Academy gives students all the tools they need to succeed as newly minted software developers - for the students who are willing to put in the work, anyway.

I had a wonderful experience at Prime. Great facility, faculty and staff who absolutely... Read More

There is one caveat, though: I worked harder than I've worked at anything else in my life for the entire duration of the program. I put in extra hours to learn adjacent concepts to what was being taught in the class, I did basically nothing but work on the projects when the time came. I had no social life, and my wonderful wife had to pick up a lot of slack at home for me to be able to focus like that.

I'm far from the only one who has taken that approach to Prime. By far, though, those who put in the work have had much better outcomes post-Prime than others who maybe didn't throw themselves quite so wholeheartedly into the program.

If you're ready to work hard and focus on building your skills and knowledge, Prime is a great choice.

• Anonymous | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2018

"Full Stack Web Development Course Was Fantastic"

Prime Digital Academy took me from 0 to being a fully functioning Full Stack Web Developer in 20 weeks. It seemed crazy at the beginning, but by the end I had projects I had built by myself as well as in a group that showcased all the of skills I had... Read More

I preferred the in-class style they provide as the content is challenging and the instructors and support staff are a vital part of the learning process. Having the hands-on in person experience was crucial for overcoming the harder concepts and helping me learn to think like a developer.

Prime pushes you to learn how to be a programmer so that when you run into new languages or environments you have the tools needed to adapt and learn. The biggest thing I walked away with was that I learned how to teach myself and understand new concepts or challenges in programming.

I landed my job right out of Prime thanks to Prime organizing a clear path to employment. They helped me shape my resume, cover letter, my technical interview skills, and how to showcase what I had learned. During the career day at Prime I got many follow up interviews and one of which yielded me a job 2 weeks after I graduated.

Prime changed not only my career path, but also my sense that if I put my mind and energy to something I can do it.

10/10 would recommend Prime!

• Dana Hazen | Data Analyst/Developer
  • Graduated: 2016

"Prime Digital Academy Changed My Life"

Before Prime Digital Academy I was working as an Administrative Assistant in the Facilities department of a Minneapolis company, keeping things running, completing work requests, and showing vendors around our 1 million square foot campus. After realizing... Read More

"Worth your Effort"

This program flies by and requires a significant commitment of time and energy. You will need to make sacrifices to successfully complete the program. I would advise against working during this program as it does take a great deal of time and energy.... Read More

The program does have check points to ensure you are meeting their expectations and give you a baseline of where you should be. The key for each of these check points is keep pushing through and learning what you need to know if this problem comes at you again. The programs curriculum of building out application for actual clients helps students gain a better understanding of the complexities that exist outside of the lines of code.

The network of Prime Digital Academy is very large and the mentor program extends their reach even further. I personally have had many conversations stating Prime Digital Academy's students are highly sought after they have hired a few. This network's understand where you are coming from and the knowledge you have been given allows for the proper training and on boarding.

Job support is a little hands off, they are not going to help you apply to jobs. They will help you prepare for that process and give you guidelines you should follow. You are always welcome to stop in, work, and trouble shoot through this process. They have weekly meetings after graduation that covers topics in applying for positions and working through the process.

Prime is a second family into an unknown world of tech supporting one another through this transition from where you are coming from.

• Anonymous | Front End Developer
  • Graduated: 2018

"Exposes you to all aspects of web development"

Prime's full-stack developer program exposes you to the front-end and the back-end aspects of web development. You learn how to consume data from an API storing information in a database and retrieving information to display on the front-end.

Overall,... Read More

The curriculum is so focused on frameworks/libraries that it lacks the detail to really expand your basic level skills in any area, HTML/CSS, JS, server, or database. If you enjoy one area over another, dig deep on your own time to really level up those individual skills. That being said, knowing how to work with a framework/library and how to navigate documentation is a big part of being a qualified developer.

Job support for current students felt a bit unorganized. There is a big interview day and it seemed like the employers came knowing they did not have full time positions available, even though it was communicated to the students that interview day was for full time hiring only. That being said, there is endless support from the staff while you are a student and once you graduate. That support cannot be matched.

I would recommend Prime to anyone with the proper expectation that a junior level developer is the position you will be qualified for once you graduate.

Prime Digital Academy's average rating is 4.87 out of 5.0 based on 15 review(s).