We Can Code IT

Courses: Cleveland In-Person Coding Bootcamp, Columbus FlexCode™ Coding Bootcamp, Columbus Fullstack JavaScript In-Person Bootcamp, Columbus In-Person Bootcamp, Pre-Bootcamp, +-2 more.
Pre-Bootcamp

Cleveland, Columbus, +-5 more.
Columbus.

About We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on... Read More

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

We offer up to $2k in scholarships and grants through our low-income grant and diversity grant. We have also extended our diversity grant to include individuals apart of the LGBTQ+ community and U.S. veterans.

We've extended our low-income grant to include displaced workers affected by COVID-19. We also have loan options through HFLA of Northeast Ohio and SkillsFund.

Cleveland In-Person Coding Bootcamp

Locations: Cleveland

You’ll learn the most in-demand skills in the U.S., specialized based on the demands of each campus’ region. Most importantly, know that you’ll learn languages and techniques that will soundly start you as a software developer, skills that will stay with you through your career, enabling you to specialize as you desire throughout.

You’ll experience:
- Short and engaging lectures followed by both group and individual active learning exercises.
- Shrinking down general concepts into real-world problems.
- Class workshops - working with other students, discussing questions with them, finding group solutions.

- Group & Individual Work

Subjects: C#, CSS, HTML, ASP.NET, MVC, Test-Driven Development (TDD), .NET, JavaScript

Columbus FlexCode™ Coding Bootcamp

Locations: Columbus

FlexCode™ is an innovative solution to the traditional coding bootcamp model for people with a full-time job or family responsibilities. This 16-week program offers a combination of online and in-person classes for greater flexibility, lower expenses, and a more effective learning model.

How does FlexCode™ work?
- Meet your cohort and facilitators – we start with an in-person weekend + 1 day orientation
- Gain full access to online learning modules with 20-25 hours/week of foundational material (360 online hours available, of which 187 are required)
- Work on team assignments during in-person classroom meetings 2 weekends/month for 16 weeks (128 required in-person hours)
- Stay supported with 1-on-1 weekly remote pair-programming sessions with a seasoned developer plus online group sessions with your cohort and remote community assistance
- Get empowered with online career training & homework plus 1-on-1 weekly meetings with your Student Success Coach
- Continue your education with post-bootcamp training options to help you maintain and improve your skills with individualized career plans

- Resume-Building
- LinkedIn Profile with Headshot
- Communication & Messaging
- Career & Employer Events
- Group & Individual Support
- Final Projects

Subjects: Git, jQuery, MVC, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Java, SQL, JavaScript, Spring MVC

Columbus Fullstack JavaScript In-Person Bootcamp

- Group & Individual Work

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Agile, React.js, Node.js, JavaScript

Columbus In-Person Bootcamp

- Group & Individual Work

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Java, JavaScript, Spring MVC

Pre-Bootcamp

Locations: Cleveland, Columbus

This is a free course that teaches the basic foundations of computational thinking. In this course, students get hands-on coding experience and are able to test out software development to see if they'd be a good fit for our full-time bootcamp courses. In addition, upon completing the full Pre-Bootcamp course Cleveland residents living in low-income neighborhoods may be eligible for a grant that can be applied to cover half the tuition cost of our full-time bootcamp.

Duration: A series of 9 evening sessions (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings for 3 weeks).

We Can Code IT Reviews

Overall

4.63/5

10/2/2020
  • Josh Yang | Software Developer
  • Cleveland In-Person Coding Bootcamp
  • Graduated: 2020

"If you want to jump into the world of coding, here's a great place to do it"

I started We Can Code IT knowing little to nothing about web development, coding, or networking. For me, jumping into the boot camp was a blind leap into the depths of the unknown. I made the decision to leave my safe and familiar customer service job... Read More

We Can Code IT is surprisingly thoughtful. I expected a high intensity and moderately intimidating environment where the instructors and students were all business and the weakest links would be left behind. This couldn't be farther from the truth. All students, regardless of their experience or how quickly they learn, are given a great deal of nurture and support by the instructors and staff. Every morning and every afternoon, the instructors check in with each student as a group to get a handle on how they're feeling, what they're enjoying about the program, and what things they need help with. As a heavy introvert with an innate fear of the spotlight, this scared me for about a week before my classmates became familiar faces and the fear of public speaking disappeared. We Can Code IT also provides an emotional roadmap for what students generally feel during the course, and the instructors try their best to let the students know that what they're feeling is natural and that they are capable of incredible things if they set their mind to it.

We Can Code IT also has a career services component that teaches you everything you need to know about applying for a job as a developer. A multitude of topics are covered, like interview etiquette, networking, how to search for jobs, how to write a good resume, and how to sell yourself (all things that I had absolutely no idea how to do beforehand). You learn the do's and don'ts, you build confidence, and by the time you graduate, you feel ready to take the next step in your career. Frankly, some aspects of the career services experience were uncomfortable and nerve-wracking (mock interviews and reaching out to strangers on LinkedIn to name a couple), and to my detriment I avoided them. Taking this next huge step in your life is meant to be scary, but I think I could have used a little more positive affirmation over being nudged off of a 10 meter diving board. That being said, finally making that jump isn't anywhere as bad as I made it out to be and I wish I took more advantage of the things WCCI had to offer, like the opportunity to schedule as many one on one meetings with career services as you think you need.

The curriculum is intelligently laid out. The different modules all build off of one another without putting too much stress on the students. Every step of the way, I was learning something new and fun. WCCI also provides extra instruction time Wednesday afternoons immediately after the instructional period, which helped me learn the things I was struggling with. By the last third of the cohort, I felt like I had a solid grip on web development fundamentals and had nothing but excitement for my future.

Then covid happened.

With a little bit more than a month left in the cohort, a somber and uncomfortable meeting was had on the last day that I would go to the WCCI campus explaining that classes would be indefinitely moved to virtual instruction. All interactions with WCCI staff and students, including lectures and team work sessions, would take place by video call from home. This caused a great deal of unrest and stress with some of the students, myself included. I personally learn much better in person, as my brain kind of turns off some switches when I'm staring at a computer screen. To that end, I'm thankful that we only had half of a module left to finish by the time we made the transition. Through no fault of the program itself, this period of time is where I remember the least amount of information, and my confidence in the material I learned is substantially lower. A silver lining to virtual instruction, however, is that while the pandemic is still going on, most places of employment, including the office where I currently work, are also virtual. Learning how to use the technologies to stay connected and productive with your fellow coders is an extremely valuable skill these days, and potential employers will see the potential behind hiring a developer who already knows the hoops you need to jump through to work from home. In retrospect, it was very helpful that we transitioned to virtual when we did, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Overall, I highly recommend We Can Code IT if you're ready to put in the effort. It's a program that requires a lot of learning and unlearning, but they give you all the resources and help you need. Coding-wise, I feel like WCCI covered all the bases I need for my career future. In addition, everything I learned outside of coding has made me more confident in my ability to make big changes in my life and take initiative, two things I desperately needed. We Can Code IT was a positive experience for me, and I hope it's a positive experience for you too.

Just a brief word of advice: don't forget your semicolons and make sure everything's capitalized correctly.

2/18/2020
  • Alex G
  • Graduated: 2019

"It's what it says on the tin"

WCCI greatly exceeded my expectations. The instructors are clearly passionate about clean code and helping us learn. They are very, very good at what they do, always nudging us towards a clearer understanding of concepts rather than just giving us the... Read More

Ben taught test-driven design (TDD), which is not only a valuable body of skills but a rare one. Since graduation I’ve observed that TDD is often little more than a buzzword at many companies. But I came out of the program knowing unit testing and integration testing like the back of my hand, and it makes the code all the more maintainable and easier to read. (TDD just happened to tip the scales in my favor when I got my first job out of boot camp. The onsite technical evaluation was literally two hours of Jest testing as I solved a kata for the proctor. Two hours!) The career guidance is priceless—you just can’t find that kind of local information on the internet, and working with Lacey to polish my resume and prepare for interviews was an absolute joy.

One thing I should add is that the program is very much oriented towards learning by doing, and the emphasis was on building high-quality, clean apps as quickly as possible. This came at the expense of say formal knowledge testing or theory, which are by no means trivial; I say this because of the 100+ positions I applied for, quite a few employers grilled me on Java theory and object-oriented theory. This is something to be aware if you plan to apply to companies known for quizzing applicants on theory, and there certainly are plenty of those around town. JP Morgan Chase is one of them. I wouldn't say this is a shortcoming of the program, but a recruiter from one consultancy downtown said that in his experience, WCCI grads are strong on practice, weak on theory.

Anyway, the environment at WCCI is supportive, and the expert curation and guidance make this place worth every penny. I also made friends with my classmates, which was especially important since I had moved to Ohio two months before taking the course.

10/21/2019
  • Isadora Elwyn
  • Columbus FlexCode™ Coding Bootcamp

"A Transformative Experience"

When I came to WeCanCodeIT, I was at a crossroads in my life.
I'd been working in a low-level tech job for a couple years, but knew I wanted to get into development at some point. I started looking around at local bootcamps and really connected with WCCI's... Read More

10/18/2019
  • Jessica Wright
  • Graduated: 2019

"Worth every minute, effort and penny. I love what I do!"

After working in people-heavy roles in the nonprofit sector for a decade, I was ready to make a switch to a career that allowed me to be an introverted thinker. I was drawn to We Can Code IT's commitment to diversifying the tech sector. Leaving a career,... Read More

9/26/2019

"Career Changing experience"

I attended We Can Code Flexcode program in 2019. I had been trying to get into an IT program for a while but with a family to support, I could not afford to quit employment. This program allowed me to remain employed and take care of my family while going... Read More

9/26/2019
  • Graduated: 2019

"I had an amazing experience at We Can Code It and would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to enter the tech industry."

I had an amazing experience at We Can Code It. I did the in-person, 14 week, full-stack web development course. It was a challenging but very rewarding experience where I was able to collaborate on a wide variety of projects with other students learning... Read More

1/21/2019
  • Anonymous | eLearning Developer
  • Columbus FlexCode™ Coding Bootcamp

"stellar support"

I attended We Can Code IT's FlexCode program after trying to teach myself to code (and then being unsatisfied with my progress). The FlexCode program let me learn at my own pace with modules done on my own time online, and meet with classmates and the... Read More

The instructor was patient and available for questions and problems pretty much all the time. He clearly loves teaching and helping students. The career services counselor had great advice and was so supportive, even after I graduated. The program helped me with my resume, interviewing, portfolio, and even set up some visits from local employers. This personal attention and mentorship really helped me succeed.

I landed a great job about a month after I graduated, as a direct result of networking organized by the school. We Can Code IT helped me move from stay-at-home-mom to developer! I highly recommend it.

1/9/2019
  • Joshua Echt
  • Graduated: 2018

"You Can Code IT as well!"

As a former journalist and editor, I've always wondered how company names are created.

When I first heard of this school, I was confused by the title: We Can Code IT, and I kept wondering why IT was all-caps. Did they forget a copyeditor? Did their caps... Read More

And it's an industry that I'm now proud to be a part of, thanks to the learning tools and skills I gained in my 14-week cohort at the school. I left journalism and editing because I wasn't being challenged enough, so my accountant told me about coding schools in February 2018. One of his clients went to WCCI and successfully transitioned from a botany major to tech developer.
That spring, I looked at rival bootcamps and while they were just as qualified as WCCI I felt like I was just a number. So I ultimately signed on with WCCI and went through the admissions process in August. I started the Fall Full-Time Cohort on Sept. 4. The school has locations in CLE and Columbus and I chose the Columbus campus, nestled in a lovely brick upstairs office in Old North Columbus.

Note: There are two options--the full-time cohort, which meets M-F from 930-330--or FlexCode, which meets on weekends twice a month, as well as in-person sessions with instructors during one weekday. Columbus classes use the Java language, while Cleveland classes use the .NET language.

The classwork was very challenging. The first few weeks were spent in a console app, Eclipse, and then we transitioned into building projects through Springboot MVC and the Gitbash command line system. Eight weeks were spent on core Java, and the remainder of the class was spent on React/Javascript, some HTML/CSS5 and a day on SQL. We focused on test-driven development and pair programming throughout as well.

The last three weeks of the class were spent on the final project. Our 14-person class was split into three teams and we worked on building practical, functional apps with cross-functionality. The app my team built was a cooking timer application, and we presented it to employers at Demonstration Day on 12/14.

Throughout the class, we also met with Lacey N., who was our Career Services manager. She was extremely helpful in our weekly sessions regarding job interview preparation, and I credit her with helping me land a job three days after graduation, making about 16% more in salary than my previous job. She taught us job skills that progressively built on each other--not unlike how we learned coding skills--such as basic interviewing, behavioral responses and body language, resume creation and cover letters. That culminated in mock interviews, and then actual interviews with real employers.

I can tell you that the cohort got along well, the instructors were excellent and took time to help us, and the program itself was cohesive (both tech and career services).
As a former journalist NOW TURNED tech developer and coder, it doesn't matter how the name was created. The only thing that matters now is getting the word out about how good WCCI is, and how it can change your life as well! YOU can code IT!

1/7/2019
  • Maggie | Web Developer
  • Cleveland In-Person Coding Bootcamp

"Highly Recommend"

I completed the boot camp in the Fall of 2018 and started a Web Developer job January of 2019. You can definitely find success through this boot camp! You learn A TON of information. You get what you put into the program. All the resources are there,... Read More

My advice is for anyone considering a software coding bootcamp:
1. SHOW UP. Don't be late to class and pay attention! Try writing down notes in class.
2. Ask questions! Teachers and classmates are willing to help you. (also Google!)
3. Do extra practice/research at home/out of class hours.. Take advantage of any tutoring, even if you feel you understand the material!
4. Lastly.. NETWORK! Do what the career coach tells you to do and you won't regret it.

My experience with We Can Code IT had some speed bumps with teacher changes, but at the end it taught me how to deal with unexpected changes which I'm sure I will face in ' the real world '. It's a fast pace course and you'll have to make adjustments. The teaching staff was always willing to help out and answer your questions or clarify any of your confusions. They really want you to succeed but it's up to you and your desire for your own success!

10/20/2018
  • Marc | IT Applications Developer
  • Graduated: 2018

"Did exactly what they said they would do"

Went to We Can Code IT's full-time spring bootcamp from mid-January to late April 2018. Enjoyed it far more than any previous academic experience, including both undergrad and grad school. All three instructors were knowledgeable, relatable, and fun,... Read More

The coursework consisted entirely of real-world practical skills and knowledge, and I got the large amount of hands-on coding practice necessary to feel reasonably confident when trying to get a job in the field. Repeatedly coding increasingly-complex projects from scratch every weekend was a valuable exercise that got me used to both writing code and managing my code with GitHub. Ditto for the final team project, only doubly so. It's turned out to be equally valuable that I got to learn both HTML/CSS/Javascript for front-end development and Java for back-end development, because I've actually needed all of that on the job so far. I was originally a computer science major for my first two years of undergrad about 15 years ago before burning out on it, and I learned more in the first three weeks of this program than I did in two whole years of traditional computer science courses back then. Those college courses consisted way too much of largely inapplicable theory; nearly everything I have learned at WCCI, I have already put to good use.

It was also helpful to have job search support every week, so that I had a well-polished resume and was prepared to do interviews. Having some idea of where to look for jobs, what employers were hiring, what they were looking for in applicants, and how to highlight my strengths were all very important. WCCI inviting different companies to come in and talk to us directly on several occasions was likewise valuable, and being able to demo our team projects to an entire room of prospective employers was great. Nothing makes a good impression like showing off something cool that you've just finished creating with your teammates. Getting started building a network is difficult, especially if you're like me and you're not normally inclined toward that sort of thing. WCCI's connections to local businesses made a lot of difference in that regard.

Specifically for me, though, the employer visit that mattered the most was when Nationwide sent a recruiter to come in halfway through the program, and I was very impressed by what I heard. He encouraged us to apply for lots of positions there, which I did (I think about 8 of them), and offered to forward our applications to the appropriate hiring managers. That worked out better than I could have hoped for, because I graduated from bootcamp on Friday, April 20th, went in for an interview at Nationwide the following Monday, they offered me a job on Tuesday, and I started work about two weeks after that, on May 7th. Interestingly enough, the position I got was unrelated to the recruiter who talked to us, and none of the three members of my team who interviewed me had heard of WCCI. I still got a job offer, anyway. I didn't even have to rely upon the fact that Nationwide had hired half a dozen former WCCI grads before me. That says the quality of what I learned was high enough that I could stand entirely on my own. I know that not everyone who goes through the program will get hired quite that fast, but I can at least serve as evidence that it's possible.

Long story short, We Can Code IT did exactly what they advertised - they taught me how to be a good enough coder in only three and a half months that I was able go out and get a job right away. I've now been at Nationwide for almost half a year, and I've enjoyed my new career very much. It's a good job at a good company with coworkers I like and very solid pay and benefits. This is the career I wanted to get into right out of high school, and I finally made it. That's a five-star rating, right there. Can't argue with results.

We Can Code IT's average rating is 4.63 out of 5.0 based on 41 review(s).