What was Alessandro Allemanno's experience at Udacity?
We're pleased to announce one of the winners of SwitchUp's gift card giveaway, Alessandro Allemanno!
Alessandro is a graduate of Udacity, with a background in economics. With a passion for technology, he decided to grow his knowledge of Android and Google by enrolling with Udacity. With help from Udacity, Alessandro built a strong resume, gained new skills, and was ultimately able to land a new job!
We sat down with Alessandro to learn more about his experience at Udacity, his advice for students considering enrolling in a bootcamp, and more!
1. Tell me about your background. What was your educational experience before joining the Android Basics Nanodegree by Google at Udacity?
I went to a high school that focussed on scientific technology. After that I graduated from an undergraduate program in economics (strategic business management).
2. What made you decide to pursue a career in tech?
I have always had a passion for technology and informatics. I think my interest stems from the fact that technology is such a large part of our daily lives.
3. Why did you decide to attend Android Basics Nanodegree by Google? What were your goals for the program?
I decided to enroll in this program because I really love the Android/Google ecosystem. I wanted to know how an app is made and learn how to create a basic app. Apart from that, the course gave me the opportunity to learn the basics of Java, which is really helpful for a lot of other topics.
4. There are an increasing number of available bootcamps. Why did you decide to choose this program over others?
I chose this program because I was selected as a student of the Google Scholarship program. After the first phase of the program, where I completed the basic course, I gained the access to the full course and to the Nanodegree.
5. For you, what were the pros and cons of attending a bootcamp?
A pros is surely the flexibility to learn when and where you want. For me, a cons is that I didn't have a physical mentor who could help me or other classmates who I could interact with in person.
6. Tell me a little bit about the course structure. What did you like best about the environment and teaching style?
The course was really dynamic. It offered both theoretical and practical teachings, with a lot of exercises. At the and of any chapter there was an exam.
7. How did this program prepare you for a career in tech?
It prepared me with a lot of practical and exercises which were really helpful, and taught me to apply all the things I learned while following the video course. The exercises prepared me to do a real job because I gained more than theoretical experience.
8. What challenges did you overcome to get where you are?
I have learn how you can do things that at the beginning seems really difficult, but if you take your time and do step by step, all can become possible.
9. Tell us about what’s next. How do you plan to use your newfound skills as you build your career?
All the things I have learned helped me to find a job because give me a big plus on my CV. This bootcamp experience has been a very interesting addition to my skills that companies are really interested in.
10. What advice do you have for people who are interested in attending a bootcamp?
If you are interested in a topic and you find a platform that can give you all the tools to learn it, I advice you to do it. Will be surely a wonderful experience that encourage you to go over your limits.
Are you a bootcamp student or alum? You could be our next giveaway winner! Write a review of your program, and you'll be entered to win an Amazon gift card.