What was Elham Bahrami's experience at Springboard?By: The SwitchUp Team
We're pleased to announce one of the winners of SwitchUp's gift card giveaway, Elham Bahrami!
With a background in finance and work experience as an office manager, Elham discovered an interest in coding. After comparing numerous bootcamps, and reading reviews, the job guarantee and mentor network led her to enroll with Springboard. While topics like machine learning challenged her, Elham successfully completed the program and is now a Data Analyst!
We sat down with Elham to learn more about what she loved about Springboard, and what's next for her in her pursuit of landing her dream job.
1. Tell me about your background. What was your educational experience before joining Springboard?
I have a bachelor's degree in finance, as well as work experience as an administrative manager at a legal services office.
2. What made you decide to pursue a career in tech?
After attending an orientation session at my school about coding and programing languages, I felt interested and wanted to give it a try.
3. Why did you decide to attend Springboard? What were your goals for the program?
I researched about which schools offered the best online courses. At the time, I was working full time, and didn't have enough time for an on-campus program.
I also read a lot of good reviews about Springboard. In addition to their job guarantee program, they provide career support, and techniques I knew I needed in order to land my dream job.
4. There are an increasing number of available bootcamps. Why did you decide to choose this program over others?
I really valued the positive reviews. I also had the opportunity to speak with alumni, who all had great things to say about the program, so I felt confident moving forward with Springboard.
5. For you, what were the pros and cons of attending a bootcamp?
Pros: Online courses, practical homework, weekly mentor call, unlimited access to other mentors.
Cons: I felt that the length of course was not long enough. I had to push myself in order to complete the work.
6. Tell me a little bit about the course structure. What did you like best about the environment and teaching style?
I really liked the weekly mentor calls and community. It was helpful to be able to trade notes and comments with other students and have unlimited access to the course.
7. How did this program prepare you for a career as a data analyst?
Having to complete two real world projects during the course prepared me for my next steps.
8. What challenges did you overcome to get where you are?
I was very challenged by the machine learning concepts, as well as some of the coding and programing languages.
9. Tell us about what's next. How do you plan to use your newfound skills as you build your career?
I look forward to expanding my professional network, as well as growing my programming knowledge in order to land my dream job.
10. What advice do you have for people who are interested in attending a bootcamp?
Be determined and hardworking.
Practice a lot.