What Was Conrad Monreal's Experience at Job Hackers?
We're pleased to announce one of the winners of SwitchUp's gift card giveaway, Conrad Monreal!
Conrad is a graduate of The Job Hackers. After completing both a bachelor's and master's degree, and gaining extensive experience as a developer and engineer, Conrad wanted to keep his skills updated - which led him to The Job Hackers. In their Agile MBA program, Conrad gained new Agile and Scrum skills that have made him feel like a more qualified job candidate. After his experience with The Job Hackers, he is continuing his professional development with more classes, and hopes to use his Agile MBA learnings to become a member of a Scrum development team or a Scrum Master!
We sat down with Conrad to learn more about his experience at The Job Hackers, and his advice for students considering enrolling in a bootcamp!
1. What is the name of the Bootcamp Course you submitted your review based on?
2. Tell me about your background. What was your educational experience before joining The Job Hackers?
I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems from DeVry University and an Masters of Business Administration from Keller Graduate School of Management. I have worked as a Business Intelligence Developer and Senior Data Engineer.
3. What made you decide to pursue a career in tech?
Originally I was trained as a COBOL programmer while serving in the United States Marine Corp. As technology has evolved, I have tried to stay current with current technologies.
4. Why did you decide to attend The Job Hackers? What were your goals for the program?
They offered me a chance to actually learn about Agile and Scrum. The Job Hackers offered a Pay-It-Forward program that I could pay with volunteer hours. I chose to work in my church's vineyard that produces raisins for those in need. I was able to help others that need help and I was blessed with learning about Agile and Scrum. The goals of the program were to prepare you for certification. I did earn my Professional Scrum Master certification.
5. There are an increasing number of available bootcamps. Why did you decide to choose this program over others?
Agile and Scrum are important in today's computer software industry. This bootcamp was important for me to be able to demonstrate to others that I know how to function and be productive Scrum to produce computer software with real tangible value. Consequently, I qualify for more job opportunities that require Agile and Scrum product development skills.
6. For you, what were the pros and cons of attending a bootcamp?
Pros, it was made accessible online so geography was not an issue, questions could easily be asked and either addressed on the spot or taken off line for more elaborate discussion. Slack was used, so it was easy for the class to communicate about any topic.
Cons, I don't really see a down side to anything.
7. Tell me a little bit about the course structure. What did you like best about the environment and teaching style?
It was a complete lesson plan - lecture topics were specified and a complete reading book list was supplied. You just didn't learn about Agile or Scrum, but also various intricacies in dealing with people and teams.
8. How did this program prepare you for a career in tech?
With Agile and Scrum being one of the major skill sets used in the tech industry, this course checks all your boxes for learning and implementing Scrum in developing computer software applications.
9. What's the most important thing you learned?
What makes up a Scrum Team and each member's responsibility. What Scrum artifacts are required and how Scrum events are managed and utilized.
10. What are you up to now? What challenges did you overcome to get here?
I am still attending classes to improve my skills. My classes include data modeling with SQL Server and Salesforce cloud architecture.
11. Tell us about what’s next. How do you plan to use your newfound skills as you build your career?
I will use my Agile skills either as a member of a Scrum development team or as a Scrum Master.
12. What advice do you have for people who are interested in attending a bootcamp?
Find one you are interested in and then jump in with all your effort - it will be a very rewarding experience.
Are you a bootcamp student or alum? You could be our next giveaway winner! Write a review of your program, and you'll be entered to win an Amazon gift card.