Bloc

Courses: Designer Track, Web Developer Track

Online

About Bloc

Bloc is the world's original online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to personally prepare each student as a professional web developer, software developer or designer.

Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to individual... Read More

Because career readiness is important, Bloc's flagship Track programs include job preparation material and access to their Placement Network when students are ready. Mentors help students assemble a portfolio and prepare for technical interview questions. When ready, students work with Bloc's career support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges is important to student success!

Designer Track

• Cost: $8,500
Locations: Online

Bloc designers are end-to-end problem solvers. Our graduates are among the most competitive new hires in the industry. Explore our curriculum for more details.

• Build a professional portfolio with 3-6 projects
• Mastery learning assessments that model real interviews
• Job-ready certificate that signals Bloc’s stamp of approval to employers

Subjects: UX Testing, UI Design, UX, UX Design

Web Developer Track

• Cost: $8,500
Locations: Online

Our Full Stack Web Developer Track will teach you how to work with every component of an application: the database, server and client-side code, frontend markup, and styling. Bloc programs are intensive and outcome-oriented.

This Track is for anyone looking to launch a career as a Full Stack Web Developer. If you’ve tried a bit of self-study with free online resources and are ready to dive deeper into building the skills and portfolio to become a professional developer, this is the right program for you.

Subjects: CSS, HTML, jQuery, Ruby on Rails, React.js, AngularJS, Node.js, JavaScript

Bloc Reviews

Overall

4.73/5

11/24/2020
  • Adam L
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great experience and support."

My experience with Bloc's Web Developer Track was outstanding. The curriculum focused on learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Node, Express, and more.

On top of that, the support is what I believe really makes this program shine. From day one I was... Read More

Mock interviews throughout the course were another reason I picked this program. I feel that seeing how interviews involving technical questions and live coding challenges was vital. The more practice the better.

I've just graduated and am now receiving assistance from a career coach to find employment with my new skills. I would recommend this program to anybody.

10/6/2020
  • Pierce Hicks | Front End Developer
  • Graduated: 2019

"Everything in great but the outdated course material"

Great platform but the material is too dated to be chosen as a bootcamp in 2020. Bloc was bought by Thinkful and you should just apply there. Thinkful has more name cache and more up to date material. During my time at Bloc in 2019, I ran into numerous... Read More

7/17/2020
  • Stephanie LeBlond | Senior Program Manager
  • Graduated: 2020

"An incredibly rich, demanding and rewarding full stack web development program."

I learned industry best practices and practical software development standards during an intense 8 month remote learning program while juggling my full-time job.
I created and deployed mobile-first applications while learning new languages and frameworks.... Read More

4/5/2020
  • Mark Bergstrom
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great online bootcamp experience with Bloc!"

I would definitely recommend Bloc's Web Developer Track to anyone seeking to learn how to become a full stack developer. I had some self-taught coding experience in VBA coming into the program, but this was my first formal code training since a basic... Read More

The general layout of the curriculum requires you to read a written lesson and then complete a set of exercises. Occasionally, these exercises will be reviewed for completion and accuracy, but oftentimes they are just for your own benefit and understanding. Once per week, you'll meet over the web with your mentor. This is a great time to help work through the areas where you're stuck or get some higher level understanding of how exactly the new skills you're learning would come into play in a real-world tech job. In between mentor meetings, you'll have access to loads of technical coaching through Slack where you can talk to coaches or other students working through the same content you are.

It might seem like a lot to figure out and accomplish while you're in the middle of it all. It certainly did for me at times! Trust the process. You can do this!

3/29/2020
  • Sihao Cao
  • Graduated: 2020

"Good Experience with Bloc's Web Developer Track!"

I am a Bloc graduate after being in the Web Developer Track from July, 2019 to March, 2020. I feel this bootcamp does a great job of teaching you the essentials of modern-day web development. My mentor was great at answering questions and the technical... Read More

3/2/2020
  • Designer Track
  • Graduated: 2017

"Irrelevant content, not worth your time nor your money, better off self studying"

I currently work at a well established tech company in the Bay, but I will not attribute any of my success to the wasted time and money spent at Bloc.
Upon finishing the program, I did not receive reimbursement given the standard protocol.
While I was... Read More

My recommendation:
self-study - look at other people's work and observe what they have done and how they did it
contact a few designers in your area and ask for feedback on the things you've been working on (people will respond, help and actually mentor you)
don't code your portfolio if you don't know how to code (some of the best portfolios I've seen are the ones made from website builders... and I've seen hundreds of portfolios given that my current role requires me to interview candidates)
don't be a sucker - don't fall for these quick success schemes from bloc... they show all these success stories about former students joining companies like google, dropbox, etc. but they don't show how much work these people had to do outside of the bloc curriculum.

1/11/2020
  • Paul Cho
  • Graduated: 2016

"Bloc Screwed Me Over, Won't Reimburse Tuition As Promised, Even Though Followed Protocol"

I went to Bloc in late 2015 to early 2016. I joined because of the policies that made me comfortable. One of the main policies stood out was guaranteed tuition reimbursement as long as protocol was followed. Which I did. Still they refused reimbursement.... Read More

1/5/2020
  • A
  • Graduated: 2019

"A Brutally Honest Review of the Web Developer Track"

There are a lot of things I wish I had known about this program before signing up so I'm here to tell my story hoping someone finds it useful if you're on the fence about this. I'm surprised at how many 5 star reviews are on here. The program pesters... Read More

Curriculum: Once you're enrolled, you're given access to their Slack channels and to their site to begin the program. You then choose a mentor that you'll meet once a week to go over any problems or questions you may have. The material consists of a series of checkpoints with practice problems that you need to complete in order to move onto the next. There are slack channels for each section/modules you're on to ask technical mentors for help when you're stuck on a problem. You'll take an assessment after each module through online video conferencing which will unlock the next module upon successful completion. In the end, you take your final assessment along with a final project to see if you get your certificate.

Pros: It gets you started with web development. Some of the mentors seemed to genuinely care about my success and learning. The git workflows. Career services were solid.

Cons: This is going to be a lot - The material was pretty disappointing. I was expecting video content at least to explain difficult concepts, but it was just plain text with external links to other resources. It's no different from going to a library and checking out a book on web development. I learned most of the material through Google, Udemy, YouTube - All significantly better resources.

The slack channels where you ask for help was extremely inefficient and clearly suffered from having understaffed technical coaches. This was really frustrating and really slowed down momentum when you're trying to solve a checkpoint and have limited time in the day. Sometimes a response could take 20-30 minutes since they had so many questions from other students. If a technical coach's shift is ending midway through a problem, a new one will jump in and you'll start the process over again. This is a HUGE problem when you're trying to complete the curriculum within 8-months. The program is aimed at working professionals, but after an 8-hour workday, I only had about 4 hours before the technical coaches leave for the night. This along with the fact that they were understaffed with 20-30 min response time was painful.

My mentors were hit or miss. As I said, some of them seemed to really care about my growth, while others seemed like they were just there for a paycheck and riding the hype train. You're expected to come prepared for these mentor sessions, but the mentors seemed to be disconnected from the curriculum and didn't come prepared by looking at your status in the program (even though they have access to it). Sometimes going over the checkpoints, they don't know what the projects or problem statements are so you have to spend extra time just familiarizing them. You only have 30 mins a week with them which is sometimes just enough 1 problem and familiarizing them with the curriculum didn't help. I also don't think that the mentors, technical coaches, and graders were all on the same page - There have been numerous times where they would have conflicting feedback on the checkpoints.

Overall: In the end, I did eventually find a job in the industry, but I wouldn't give too much credit to Bloc for that (Thanks Google, Andrei Neagoie, and Brad Traversy!). I know Bloc and Thinkful were going through a merger throughout this time so that may have contributed to the issues, but either way, it wasn't good for the students. If I could go back, I'd definitely attend an in-person, well-known Bootcamp to alleviate all the inefficiencies. I didn't know this going in, but a bootcamps network and reputation is pretty crucial in the job hunt phase. They can introduce you to more companies along with past alumni's in the industry to help get your foot in the door. While Bloc's career support was ok in job leads, their network is small in comparison. Also, after going through the job search, no one is going to care about your certificate of completion from the bootcamp. Networking, grit, portfolio, and interview skills will be key.

11/13/2019
  • Leanna Marsh

"Grateful for Bloc"

I honestly feel really lucky and happy that I chose to go through Bloc to learn UX Design. As compared to other programs, I found Bloc to be really extensive and feel confident now that I'm a graduate, that I am ready to find a job with those skills.... Read More

9/11/2019
  • Jake Kandl
  • Graduated: 2018

"Recent UX Design Bloc Graduate. An Overall good value."

I graduated last week. It took me just over 15 months to finish the program. I had an overall good experience with the program and feel it is a good value and useful for accelerating my new career path.

Pros: Student success really listens well and has... Read More

Cons: I utilized my mentor rarely. I didn’t need them to get through the program. I had tried out three mentors, each with variable quality. The grading team can have a slow turnaround time. Often, I waited 80 hours to get input. During a few parts of the course, I was able to apply myself elsewhere... but often I would need to sit and wait before I could move forward. Sometimes, the feedback conflicted with other graders visions and advice which could be annoying. Some of the demonstration videos Bloc uses are well edited... but I found many did not have any editing at all and it felt like a slog to get to the relevant information. I didn’t ever feel there was a community of students to bounce ideas off on the slack channel. I think this is a powerful tool that could be refined and be a great asset. The technical coaches were hit or miss. Sometimes I would get exactly what I was looking for. However, other times, I felt I had to explain simple ideas of what I was struggling with and was not given pertinent feedback and had to re-re-re explain the situation. Bloc asks for 3-4 checkpoints a week. I would say this is an unrealistic pace for most weeks. Some of the more involved checkpoints took me two weeks just to finish one.

I would recommend this program to others. If I were to do it again, I would have studied on my own what UX was instead of going in to the course totally fresh. The most important aspect for me was the feeling of optimism at the time of graduation. I feel fresh and ready to step into the UX job market.

Bloc's average rating is 4.73 out of 5.0 based on 338 review(s).