Bloc

Courses: Designer Track, Web Developer Track

Online

About Bloc

Bloc is the world's original online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to personally prepare each student as a professional web developer, software developer or designer.

Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to individual... Read More

Because career readiness is important, Bloc's flagship Track programs include job preparation material and access to their Placement Network when students are ready. Mentors help students assemble a portfolio and prepare for technical interview questions. When ready, students work with Bloc's career support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges is important to student success!

Designer Track

• Cost: $8,500
Locations: Online

Bloc designers are end-to-end problem solvers. Our graduates are among the most competitive new hires in the industry. Explore our curriculum for more details.

• Build a professional portfolio with 3-6 projects
• Mastery learning assessments that model real interviews
• Job-ready certificate that signals Bloc’s stamp of approval to employers

Subjects: UX Testing, UI Design, UX, UX Design

Web Developer Track

• Cost: $8,500
Locations: Online

Our Full Stack Web Developer Track will teach you how to work with every component of an application: the database, server and client-side code, frontend markup, and styling. Bloc programs are intensive and outcome-oriented.

This Track is for anyone looking to launch a career as a Full Stack Web Developer. If you’ve tried a bit of self-study with free online resources and are ready to dive deeper into building the skills and portfolio to become a professional developer, this is the right program for you.

Subjects: CSS, HTML, jQuery, Ruby on Rails, React.js, AngularJS, Node.js, JavaScript

Bloc Reviews

Overall

4.73/5

4/1/2019
  • Rachel | Associate Product Designer
  • Graduated: 2018

"Choosing Bloc was the best decision I've ever made"

Choosing Bloc as my way into the UX/UI design field was hands-down the best decision I ever made. I learned a tremendous amount of information in a relatively short amount of time, and I feel that I got real exposure to the world of digital product design... Read More

I finished Bloc in 11 months and took about 3 months to find a job. One of my most favorite parts of the Bloc experience was working with the career services team, and I found them to be invaluable to the entire experience. I got regular, personalized career advice from proven professionals in the field as well as a whole lot of emotional support. My career coach helped me with things like phrasing cold emails and follow up messages as well as "professional etiquette" such as figuring out the appropriate amount of time to reach back out to an employer, navigating tricky interview questions, and so much more. I think that the information and resources that the career team provides are definitely not something that someone can get from a university/higher education career center.

I just started my new design position at a NYC startup, and I could not be more grateful for the Bloc experience and everyone who helped me get here!

3/28/2019
  • Emily S. | Front End Engineer

"I Have A Job!!"

Okay so I could sit here and write about how nice Bloc's program is- how it's flexible, great to be able to learn the material online, and how they have a great support system, but let's face it. The REAL reason I went to bootcamp was to switch careers.... Read More

3/22/2019
  • Jessica
  • Graduated: 2019

"Web Developer Track Review"

I have been enrolled in Bloc's Web Development course since January, and I must say, I'm loving it. Is paying for an online program necessary to learn web development? Absolutely not. But for me, it was without a doubt the right decision. The biggest... Read More

There's also other support channels, such as the student slack channel, and the daily group sessions (plus tons of recorded videos to go through), so the support in this course is second to none.

Another support-related aspect that drew me to this course was the career component. And now that I am in the course, I can say that it truly is as helpful as I expected. What I didn't want from paying for a 'boot camp' of sorts was for them to teach you a bunch of code, and spit you out. That's not the feeling I've gotten from Bloc at all. It seems that student success was built into the model, and that everyone involved really wants to see you succeed.

I don't even want to call what I am about to say critiques, because it is at no fault of Bloc, but they are more just things to be aware of before entering the program:

- I find that at times, Bloc does not provide every single resource you need to learn the material. I end up spending about as much time on Bloc material as I do learning from other resources. I believe that I read somewhere that is intentional. It is no way a bad thing, especially for me as I enjoy learning from different sources with different teaching styles, it's just something to be aware of.

- Second, this program is HARD. Don't expect that because you are paying for a program, it will suddenly become easier. I am lucky enough to find myself in a situation that allows me to study full-time, and I have no idea how people do this part-time. I feel that even putting in 40 hours per week, I still always feel like I should be doing more. Granted, at the pace I am on, it is estimated that I will finish 2 months before my "end date", so I'm not running out of time; there's just SO much to learn. Also, take this with a grain of salt. People pick up on things at different paces. But if you are brand new to programming, make sure you have AT LEAST the minimum amount of time per week that Bloc recommends, I think it's 20 hours?

This program is a lot of hard work, but there really is no better feeling than when your code starts working. I can't wait to see where the rest of my journey with Bloc takes me, and then to my career beyond. I absolutely recommend Bloc to anyone that is not going the traditional CS degree route, as I find it reasonably priced compared to other online programs, and the experience thus far has been superb.

3/12/2019
  • Alexander Vela

"An excellent experience"

I'm finally at the end of my time with Bloc, and despite life happening unexpectedly, I feel as though the mentors/success team Bloc stood by me and truly wished to help me accomplish my goals. I've had nothing but a positive experience with Bloc and... Read More

3/7/2019
  • Austin MacAdam

"Love this place!"

I am mad at myself for not finding this place faster. i love the style and the speed as well as the work load! the mentors are FANTASTIC and everyone is there to help you. you don't have to know what you are doing to start...it will help, but not needed.... Read More

3/4/2019
  • Horacio Gutierrez
  • Graduated: 2018

"Excellent UX/UI Design Program!"

Bloc has an amazing methodology to ramp up students into the world of UX/UI design. The quality of content and instructors is wonderful to help you move forward when you get stuck. Bloc offers a tuition reimbursement guarantee because they know that once... Read More

2/28/2019
  • Graduated: 2018

"Starting at Bloc was one of the Best Decisions of my Life"

PROS:
The learning process is project based, meaning you learn through creating real-world projects (ie. a Reddit Clone, a Wiki site) that will not only give you a great learning experience but will give you a basis of work for your portfolio when it comes... Read More

The Slack channel runs 24/7 with tech agents that are there to help you work through any bugs or confusion you are having. They don't give you the answers, they teach you how to debug and solve it yourself so you can learn how to get unstuck in the future.

You have a mentor meeting once a week to get one on one help from Bloc alums who are actively working in the field.

Bloc forces you to learn to network and then to put it into practice. You will have to attend in person events, do some cold outreach emails to get in touch with local professionals, and write to companies you are interested in. It's stressful at first, but it is worth it, and it also allows you to create an in-person community which makes up for the fact that you are learning online.

Each module ends with a career development section where you spend a few checkpoints working on things like resumes, active networking, interview practice, and doing research on the job market where you are applying. Having this spread out across your time at Bloc is really useful and is a great primer for the final job search module.

The assessments at the end of each module are structured like a technical interview. Which like the rest of the Bloc curriculum is great practice for when you are going into the professional world.

CONS:

It is self paced, there is no given timeline and no one setting deadlines for you to finish checkpoints. I actually liked the self paced nature, but you are someone who needs more structure in order to stay on track then Bloc is not the best choice for you. However, if you are able to self-motivate and keep yourself on track and accountable then you will be fine.

2/26/2019
  • Zully | Product/UI Designer
  • Graduated: 2019

"Great program with demanding, comprehensive curriculum and supportive mentors"

Bloc was my first experience with an online bootcamp but I have to say I doubt it gets much better than this. I was very careful with my selection and reviewed many programs before I made my choice because it is a pretty significant time and money investment.... Read More

2/25/2019
  • Colson Crim
  • Graduated: 2018

"Bloc review from a Web Developer track student"

I am about halfway through Bloc's Web Developer track and I've had a great experience so far. The curriculum is up to date and is constantly being updated to the tech industry standards. You will learn programming essentials like HTML, CSS, JavaScript,... Read More

If you are concerned about taking a fully online course, don't be. Bloc's mentors and Slack community full of industry experts will be there to help you through any sections of the curriculum that you find to be difficult. For anyone who needs a flexible school schedule, and is looking for a relatively inexpensive education in web development, I highly recommend Bloc.

2/24/2019
  • Jacob Yun
  • Graduated: 2018

"Bloc Web Developer Track"

Bloc was my choice for a bootcamp for web development. The course itself was very organized and the curriculum covered a lot of material. I chose Bloc since unlike some other bootcamps, there was a mentorship system where I was able to dive into web developer... Read More

Post grad job assistance was helpful, but it mainly was on you as the grad to make your own progress, it's not like the Bloc team is going to find a job for you, they'll be there to help you out with resume questions, cover letters, as well as interviews. The Bloc team is easy to reach out to and they get back to you pretty quickly if you have any urgent questions.

The only issue I had would only have to be tweaks made to the curriculum. When I did the program there was more of a focus on different frameworks. I think it would have been helpful for me to learn a framework of my choice since some areas are more heavily focused on React for example instead of Angular.

Overall, the experience was good and I learned a lot, and you definitely get what you put into it. So just do all you can to ensure you get the most out of the program.

Bloc's average rating is 4.73 out of 5.0 based on 338 review(s).