Bloc

Courses: Designer Track, Web Developer Track

Online

About Bloc

Bloc is the world's original online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to personally prepare each student as a professional web developer, software developer or designer.

Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to individual... Read More

Because career readiness is important, Bloc's flagship Track programs include job preparation material and access to their Placement Network when students are ready. Mentors help students assemble a portfolio and prepare for technical interview questions. When ready, students work with Bloc's career support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges is important to student success!

Designer Track

• Cost: $8,500
Locations: Online

Bloc designers are end-to-end problem solvers. Our graduates are among the most competitive new hires in the industry. Explore our curriculum for more details.

• Build a professional portfolio with 3-6 projects
• Mastery learning assessments that model real interviews
• Job-ready certificate that signals Bloc’s stamp of approval to employers

Subjects: UX Testing, UI Design, UX, UX Design

Web Developer Track

• Cost: $8,500
Locations: Online

Our Full Stack Web Developer Track will teach you how to work with every component of an application: the database, server and client-side code, frontend markup, and styling. Bloc programs are intensive and outcome-oriented.

This Track is for anyone looking to launch a career as a Full Stack Web Developer. If you’ve tried a bit of self-study with free online resources and are ready to dive deeper into building the skills and portfolio to become a professional developer, this is the right program for you.

Subjects: CSS, HTML, jQuery, Ruby on Rails, React.js, AngularJS, Node.js, JavaScript

Bloc Reviews

Overall

4.73/5

3/29/2015
  • Britt

"Previous Apprentice, Now Mentor"

I went through the Fullstack program two years ago on my nights and weekends while working at a startup. Thanks to Bloc (especially my mentor), I landed a support engineering role after graduating and just made the switch to being a software engineer.... Read More

That being said, Bloc is a better fit for students that are self motivated and have already proven to themselves that they love to code. Bloc has changed my life in a way my MBA never could. I recommend Bloc to any ambitious wanna-be software engineers.

1/14/2015
  • Lauralee Flores

"Change Your Life"

I honestly feel like Bloc has the potential to change your life. In many ways it has changed mine and the best part is that it will continue to in the future.

If I wanted to find a job as a developer I'm confident I could find one - especially if I'm... Read More

I chose Bloc for three reasons.

1 - The first was it was online. I simply couldn't relocate and I needed something flexible.

2 - Even though it was online I wanted something intense, something that pushed me, something comparable to an at-location bootcamp. I was so impressed with Bloc in this aspect. The first few weeks are very guided and directed and not that difficult. Slowly it becomes more challenging until you get out of the guided work and you begin building apps on your own with the help of your mentor. There is flexibility here so for the person who finds this in and of itself challenging gets the challenge but for others who want to do more I was able to work with my mentor and do more advanced work. I loved that customization for me.

3 - The leads me to the third reason I chose Bloc. The mentors. This is the heart of Bloc and what makes it stand out. I met with my mentor three times a week! When I originally signed up I didn't realize it would be so often. I got to work with him on my capstone project which is a business idea I wanted to create. It was amazing to work together with my mentor to create a business. Just this was worth it for me.

I now have skills and knowledge I didn't have before. I am better. I have more potential. I couldn't put a price tag on this. Invest in yourself. But, that's just my opinion.

1/13/2015
  • Joey Kirk | UX Design Course Director
  • Web Design
  • Graduated: 2012

"Full Stack student, UX Design Course director"

I went through the Full Stack web development program back in the fall of 2012. I got stumped and frustrated with other online learning opportunities and wanted to get some help. I turned to Bloc because of its flexibility, the quality of the course and... Read More

As a student, it was pivotal in my learning to have someone I could lean on. Without my mentor, I would have given up as I had before.

Since then, Bloc has added numerous other courses, including the one I lead: UX Design (http://goo.gl/tMSWkY). I've been a designer for as long as I can remember, doing it professionally for nearly 10 years. I led the user experience team at Tribune Company in Chicago, have worked with a number of startups and mentored many students who have gone onto bigger and better things.

You can find out more about our UX Design course by viewing our syllabus (https://www.bloc.io/design/syllabus).

Whatever you want to learn, Bloc can help you find a new career, skill or passion.

12/20/2014
  • Benji Dalton

"Quality learning"

I signed up for bloc after reviewing a number of online coding boot camps. I kept coming back to their site mainly because it seemed to have more information and details as well as quality presentation. I'd hoped that their curriculum would match that... Read More

Bloc has been very facilitating and all their staff seem really positive and helpful. The mentors are the heart of their program and you'll find a wide range to choose from. My current mentor is awesome. He reviews my code, gives me guidance in where I need to go and focuses on pair coding, which is the best way to quickly learn.

On top of this, bloc is fostering a nice community. Aside from the Facebook group, there are experimenting with forming group teams. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better learning platform online for an intensive bootcamp-like experience.

12/20/2014
  • Lim | Web Developer
  • Graduated: 2014

"A review as an international student (Non-US)."

A little about me: I enrolled for their full-stack development course back in June 2014 and am currently completing their front-end course. Since graduating, I have successfully applied as an apprentice web developer for a local development company building... Read More

Disclaimer: This review is biased to my own perspective and experience with Bloc. You may not achieve the same experience as I have. Please always make a rational and informed decision if you're planning to apply at Bloc.

Pros:

- The mentor: The best experience about this program is the mentorship itself. You'd meet your mentor 1 to 3 times a week depending on how long you're enrolling your bootcamp for. Each session lasts about an hour long and consists of either pair programming, TDD (Your mentor writes a test and you would try to implement it), and lessons.

- Flexibility and reach: Being an online bootcamp, it was extremely flexible for me to work my schedule around it. Additionally, being a non-US native, such bootcamps are far and few at where I live so the perks of taking Bloc online was a big plus.

- Applicability: After graduating from Bloc, I successfully applied as an apprentice web developer for a local development company that builds web apps for startups. Most if not all that I learnt from Bloc have remained applicable since starting.

- Curriculum: You retain access to your curriculum which you can use as a reference after graduating. The curriculum is comprehensive (comparing with other curriculums such as the Rails track from TreeHouse and Code Academy) and is being kept updated / improved - I've heard from my colleague who also enrolled in the same bootcamp very early mentioned that the curriculum back when Bloc started was terrible and notes that it is a lot better now.

Cons:

- Bloc VS Physical (On-site) Bootcamps: The biggest limitation of Bloc being online vs on-site/campus bootcamps is similar to the general rule of online vs offline. While there are perks such as removing the necessity to travel there to do your bootcamp and its flexibility, many on-site bootcamps actually have a small class with dedicated mentors available for the entirety of the day to assist you. This environment allows for a better learning and networking especially if there are peers and mentors to receive immediate feedback and help with areas that you have difficulty with. Many of these on-site bootcamps also aid you actively in job placements while Bloc does communicate when there are available job placements (including an internship they run themselves). Therefore, I do find that you will be able to achieve a better value by attending an on-site bootcamp if you can afford the higher price tag and have the capability to travel and attend these bootcamps (something that was extremely difficult for me).

- To summarise the limitation above:
* Your exposure to peers and mentor in an on-site bootcamp is significantly greater that an online one (Bloc). This contributes greatly to your learning environment in comparison to only 1 to 3 weekly meetings with your mentor. If you can go to an on-site bootcamp, please do so. Otherwise, Bloc is a solid option.
* Job support for many on-site bootcamps are mentioned better than what I have experienced at Bloc.

*** I would like to point out however that I have never been to an on-site bootcamp so I may be factually wrong about this. Please read the disclaimer above.

Noteworthy information:

- Expect to spend more hours a week than what they advertise. I was personally told to spend at least 40 hours a week but I've spent more hours a week than that learning. Discipline is key here if you want to maximise your experience with Bloc. The ride is much bumpier as well at the start of your bootcamp but it gets better as you practice more.

- As mentioned by other reviewers, there is little to none CS (Computer Science) learnt here. You should take your time and effort to study these on your own.

- It is actually hard to code in the evenings after work since enrolling in my second bootcamp with them doing front-end development. If you are doing this while having a full-time commitment. Discipline yourself to spend your weekends on it.

- I cannot stress that there is a lot of self-studying involved when enrolled with Bloc. An online curriculum and weekly mentor meetings can only take you so far.

8/27/2014

"Good things..."

Check-out the wonderful video review that Brittany helped CourseReport with after attending their intensive ruby-on-rails program, as well as the other programs out there as well.

http://blog.thefirehoseproject.com/posts/which-online-coding-bootcamp-is-right-for-you/... Read More

6/27/2014
  • Graduated: 2013

"Self-paced"

Screening process: Skype interview. Easy to get in since I was in the 1st cohort. They look for people who have something they want to build and are persistent.
Prep work: None
Material: It’s online and I still have access to it.
Job placement guarantee:... Read More

Pros:
Self-paced.
You can still work since it’s part-time.
Extensive online curriculum with code checker.

Cons:
You have to be self-disciplined. It’s easier to give up and slack off.
Hard to code after work hours when you’re tired.
Must save questions till your scheduled mentor meeting.
Doing most of the work by yourself.
Not much CS fundamentals taught.

10/21/2013
  • Brian
  • Graduated: 2013

"NULL"

Hi my name is Brian. I'll be graduating from Bloc next week. Like the previous reviewer said, my mentor experience was AMAZING - I think that's Bloc's key difference - the context that you can get from another human being that no amount of videos will... Read More

Bloc vs. Udemy and Codecademy and OneMonthRails:

I've been a marketer for the past six years or so, and although I've always had an interest in computer science (I took APCS in high school) I never could wrap my head around things.

Udemy: I stared out with Udemy because I had heard of them. I did a ton of research and picked a class with great reviews. I felt that it wasn't really teaching anything substantial. Now looking back, I realize even though it said it was teaching web development, it was really just teaching basic HTML and CSS. I needed much more than that.

Codecademy: Next I started doing Codecademy - again - because they had great press. I spent two months working on it every evening and on the weekends and slowly realized that the browser-based learning was too limiting. I really hadn't learned how to build anything substantial. After two months of Codecademy all I could really do is create a div in HTML, style it as a blue square with CSS, and use JQuery to use the arrow keys to move it around the screen. I was lost when it came to how to actually use Git, how to actually use Sublime, etc. I needed that guide, and someone who could not just provide a narrow linear path to those things, but who could give me the context.

OneMonthRails: Next, I tried OneMonthRails - this was right when they launched and were on TechCrunch -  it was a really solid experience. But the problem became that by the third week, Mattan was moving so quickly in the videos that I was having to pause them every 10 seconds and try to catch up. He was jumping from command line to HTML, to CSS, to JavaScript, to CoffeeScript, to Ruby, and back and I started to really get lost. I would mess up, break something, and have to revert in GitHub, debug for hours, and post on the discussion forum asking for help. I realized that this had really become "copying his homework" and not really learning anymore. Yes - I was half-way through building a pinterest clone - but I couldn't think for myself at all - I was on the linear path the class laid out and I didn't know anything on either side - any of the "why." This is when I realized I really need more than a Vimeo video - I really need some kind of human interaction.

Which is when I finally got on Quora, researched bootcamps, and found that Bloc was an online bootcamp meaning I could take it without quitting my job and without moving to San Francisco or Chicago.

Hope this helps other people,

Brian

Bloc's average rating is 4.73 out of 5.0 based on 338 review(s).