Codesmith

Courses: CS Prep, CSX, Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program, Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive, JavaScript for Beginners, Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

Online, Los Angeles, NYC, Temporarily Online

About Codesmith

At the core of Codesmith is a selective, need-blind, 12-week program teaching Software Engineering and Machine Learning with locations in LA and NY. Codesmith also offers a variety of other resources from part-time, online, prep programs, to free weekly... Read More

Focusing largely on computer science and full stack JavaScript, this program enables Codesmith students (known as residents) to build compelling open-source projects and ultimately move on to positions as leading software engineers. Courses emphasize the most valuable contemporary technologies, including React, Redux, Node, DevOps, build tools, and machine learning.

Codesmith residents become engineers through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms & data structures), and object oriented & functional programming. The curriculum drives Residents to develop strong problem-solving ability and technical communication skills, the most valued capacities in a software engineer.

In addition to its core curriculum, Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through white-boarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues after graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer. The vast majority of graduates earn over $110,000 annually in their first job after the program (LA median starting salary: $117,500 ; NY median starting salary: $112,500 ; third-party audited & CIRR-member).

Job Outcomes

Not Employed 8%
Unemployed and still seeking a job 8%
Unemployed and not seeking a job 0%
Non-reporting 1%

This bootcamp uses the CIRR methodology. All CIRR members use a standardized, one-page format. To ensure complete accuracy, CIRR reports account for each enrolled student. You can compare outcomes with other CIRR members side-by-side. Learn more about CIRR.

CS Prep

• Cost: $875
Locations: Online

CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.

CSX

• Cost: Free
Locations: Online

Developed by Codesmith, CSX is a free JavaScript learning platform with a variety of video courses and coding challenges from beginner to advanced levels. The platform has a Slack community (CodesmithX) with 5000+ members. Engineers from around the world join this engaging group to find pair programming partners, ask JavaScript questions to mentors and connect with the supportive Codesmith community.

Duration: Self-Paced

Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program

Locations: Los Angeles, NYC

Codesmith is a Full Stack Software Engineering Immersion Program based in Los Angeles, CA and New York City. We prepare our graduates for roles at the leading tech companies around the country. Codesmith's program goes above and beyond a regular coding bootcamp. Every Codesmith graduate is trained in computer science, object-oriented programming, front end development with React and Angular, backend development with Node, distributed systems, mobile and hardware engineering with JavaScript. To prepare you for your application and to experience the Codesmith community & teaching style, attend JavaScript: The Hard Parts or CS Prep.

Subjects: Linux, CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Scrum, Python, Machine Learning, React.js, SQL, Algorithms, AngularJS, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript, DevOps, Data Structures, Front-End Web Development, Mobile Security

Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

Locations: Temporarily Online

Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive brings Codesmith's first-rate curriculum to a completely remote setting allowing for the driven engineers not located in Los Angeles or New York City to advance their careers in three months. The program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare you for mid and senior-level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses you in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages you to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare you for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the 12-week program, you will be an autonomous engineer, ready to make an impact on innovative tech companies worldwide.

JavaScript for Beginners

• Cost: $325
Locations: Online

JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals, as well as provide a broader context to how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.

Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

Locations: Online

The Part-Time Remote Software Engineering Immersive Program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare students for mid and senior-level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses students in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages them to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare them for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the program, students become autonomous engineers, ready to make an impact at innovative tech companies worldwide.

Codesmith Reviews

Overall

4.92/5

7/19/2016
  • Jared | Software Engineer
  • Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program

"The only serious bootcamp in Los Angeles"

A life-changing experience. Codesmith builds in its students the ability to problem-solve and take on the most challenging engineering problems. They keep an active part in the Los Angeles and San Francisco developer communities, and are fully dedicated... Read More

If you are looking to expand your influence and gain access to ever-increasing opportunities in tech, then you should join Codesmith.

4/19/2016
  • Susan T. | UI Engineer
  • Graduated: 2015

"Career changer - from Controller to UI Engineer"

I am a graduate of Codesmith’s 3rd cohort that ran from Oct 2015 - Jan 2016. I also worked as an engineering fellow after graduation until April 2016. As of May 2016, I’ll be employed with an e-commerce startup in Marina del Rey as a UI Engineer.

Going... Read More

When I attended my first JS The Hard Parts meetup at Codesmith, I was blown away. I had already made up my mind to attend another awesome full-time bootcamp in LA and was prepping for their interview in a couple weeks - Codesmith put a huge wrench in those plans. For one,
Will Sentance, the CTO, is an incredible teacher that makes complicated concepts accessible for people that are new to programming. Secondly, every student and person on staff that I spoke to was so down-to-earth and friendly that I immediately felt comfortable in this new environment.

WHY DID I CHOOSE CODESMITH?
I was accepted into Codesmith and the other bootcamp in LA that I interviewed with. I received a partial scholarship to attend Codesmith, but I had already made up my mind either way.

Here were the deciding factors:
1) Rigorous curriculum and excellent instructors that would put me in the best possible position to get hired after graduation. I liked their emphasis on learning computer science fundamental and algorithms that not all the other programs were offering, and I knew that Will Sentance would be teaching a lot of these fundamental classes. Andy (aka the Code Whisperer) conducted a great admission interview - he challenged me to optimize my code and when I got stuck, he nudged me in the right direction. The interview itself revealed how challenging the coursework would be (a stark contrast to the other interview that I had).

2) Community and support - I felt like Codesmith saw potential in me that I couldn’t even see for myself at times. The staff was incredibly supportive, which revealed what I didn’t realize that I needed in a bootcamp - I wanted to learn in a caring, supportive environment. I could not imagine another bootcamp that could do this as well.

DID CODESMITH MEET MY EXPECTATIONS?
Absolutely. I wanted a program that had a rigorous curriculum and I got it - more than what I could process at times (which was a good thing - though it was frustrating in the moment). The community and support that I received was amazing. I don’t know if I could’ve pushed through all the challenging times without it. When I needed someone to talk to, I could always find someone to empathize with my situation and help me move through it.

WHAT CAN THEY IMPROVE ON?
Communication and Organization - last minute schedule changes were frustrating at times. They did let us know that it was because they were constantly iterating on the program to improve our experience. From a student perspective though, it sometimes led to confusion - i.e. anticipating a lecture, but having it moved to the afternoon.

WHAT EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS?
1) How much they were paying attention to pair programming dynamics - i.e. people steamrolling or students shutting down. Unless you’ve been doing pair programming for more than 3 hours with someone, can you fully understand how important this is. When students consistently had a bad experience with someone during pair programming, they made sure to rectify the situation and help everyone grow and learn in the process. We all came out better communicators and team players because of this.

2) How Codesmith taught us how to learn new topics in general and how to solve any problem, not just the ones we were given. Yes, it’s awesome that we learn Javascript, React and Angular, but as a lot of graduates experienced, a lot of companies were looking for other languages and frameworks. Codesmith prepared us to deal with uncertainty, rapidly pick up new material and have confidence that no matter what challenge we may encounter, we’d be able to push through and solve it.

3) Hiring day was spectacular. I would’ve been perfectly happy with about 10 hiring partners given that our class size was on the smaller side, however, I was blown away when we had 25 companies in attendance: Whisper, Disney, Tool of NA, Black Tux… We all got in-person interviews after hiring day, which ultimately led to the full-time position that I’ll be starting soon.

Overall, it was an amazing experience. I could not have been as successful in my career transition without Codesmith. For a little taste of the culture and community, see my goodbye/thank you video to Codesmith. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy74rtmI64Q

• Graduated: 2015

"Codesmith === Awesome //true"

Back in January 2015 I decided to move from NYC to LA. I was a consultant for the world's largest technology consulting firm and really wasn't feeling it. After struggling to learn Web Dev on my own for the longest time, I decided to quit my six-figure... Read More

Needless to say Codesmith changed my life, but it wasn't easy! Anything worthwhile shouldn't be easy! We started with fundamentals, data structures, algorithms, DOM manipulation...and before I knew it, I was building full stack projects using the latest libraries and frameworks out there.

Although the curriculum is exceptional, the most important piece of Codesmith is the culture and environment. I had 0 friends when I moved to LA, and it was amazing to quickly be so welcomed into a community and surrounded by talented people that I continue to stay in touch with. Even after graduating, I feel like I am going to my second home when I visit.

Just to make sure this isn't a puff piece, Codesmith - like every program does have wrinkles that need ironing. There were parts of the program that were not perfect. We were all clocking in 80-90 hours a week, and having us do a hackathon at 8pm until late into the evening was just draining and caused a bit of grumbling. Also the schedule is 'flexible' and can change without notice, but that is just part of being in a start-up and things changing quickly due to iteration.

If you made it this far in the review, then you made it to the most important part - jobs!! I can say without doubt that if you put in the effort, embrace the struggle, and trust the program you will get a job. I received my first offer after 2 days, and after 2 weeks I accepted another offer for more than I was making in NYC as a consultant.

If you are looking for an immersive program in Southern California, Codesmith is it!

• James Burnell
  • Graduated: 2015

"I am a recent graduate and current fellow at Codesmith. Deciding to attend Codesmith was one of the best, if not the best, decisions of my life!"

I am a recent graduate and current fellow at Codesmith. Deciding to attend Codesmith was one of the best, if not the best, decisions of my life! I went from knowing minimal jQuery programming to truly being able to build anything I can think of (seriously).... Read More

• Joshua David
  • Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program

"My favorite Bootcamp of all is Codesmith for the following reasons..."

There are already a few bootcamps located in Los Angeles. I have attended meetups and online questionnaires at a few of them e.g MakerSquare, General Assembly, and Codesmith. My favorite of all is Codesmith for the following reasons...

BTW, if you don't... Read More

For those of you who don’t know about Codesmith, it’s a 12 week immersive Software Engineering program teaching Computer Science, Full Stack JavaScript Engineering and mobile development.

They also teach you how to think like an engineer, and give you that mindset so that you can invent and build the projects that you want to.
There are 3 key components that adhere to Codesmith. They are Community, Curriculum, and Passion. Now these aren’t necessarily mantras of Codesmith themselves, rather what I have noticed in attendance of their meetups, and this is one of the reasons that I am fascinated by being there and around that energy. Which in turn, leads me to the first component...

Community:
Talking of energy, It’s probably safe to say that it is highly unfathomable to know what it must have been like being around in the beginning of Apple, or Facebook, or any other major company that started similarly, but the feeling that I get being around Codesmith is what I would imagine that experience to be.

1. The people! Everyone is so nice and welcoming. They make you really feel like you are a part of the family.

2. The Instructors! The CTO Will Sentance and Lead Engineer Alex Zai are probably two of the most brilliant gentlemen that I have had the pleasure to meet. Not only are they entirely genuine and remarkable, but they are revolutionizing the Software Education Industry along with the Tech Industry. Aside from Codesmith, they have also developed some extremely, amazing things. One of those is Icecomm. Icecomm is an WebRTC based, Peer to Peer feature that allows you to add serverless video chat and data transfer to your application in, I believe under 10 lines of JavaScript and 4 lines of Angular. How great is that? Now to go a step further, they are going to open source it, so that in itself speaks to their wonderful character. If I could pick their brains all day I would. haha

3. The Environment! The building is like a spaceship. It’s really cool! When you get off of the elevator you are met by these multicolored, fluorescent lights that resemble something from the future. The whole area is one large circle with several nooks and cranny’s for you to explore. The views are also great. There are balconies with a panoramic view of water and a large portion of Silicon Beach.

This is one of the things that sets Codesmith apart from everyone else in the software education realm. Also what places them at the forefront of technology because they are using what is now on the forefront of technology. The core of their Front-End curriculum is with React.js. **WHAT???**

1. React.js ! If you don’t know what React.js is, React is an open-source JavaScript library for creating user interfaces that aims to address challenges encountered in developing single-page applications. (or simply put, *“The Future of interwebs development”* ;) “

2. React Native! React Native enables you to build world-class application experiences on native platforms using a consistent developer experience based on JavaScript andReact. The focus of React Native is on developer efficiency across all the platforms you care about — learn once, write anywhere. Facebook uses React Native in multiple production apps and will continue investing in React Native.

3. Distributed Systems and Some Machine Learning! Seriously, it couldn’t be better. These are the things that are powering the technology around us all today, including, but not limited to Gmail, iCloud and Google knowing what you want to search before you finish typing. No one is teaching these things in any bootcamp or program currently.

Passion
One of the most important features of Codesmith and everyone there is that they are endlessly passionate about what they are doing. It’s highly evident in everything that they do. They actually want to help everyone bring their dreams to fruition, to build the projects and companies that they envision, and change the world for the better. This fact is something that I cannot stress enough. I only mention this because I have been to some of the meetups at other places like MakerSquare and I cannot say the same things. I really can’t even say anything remotely close, and I don’t want to go into a barrage of Makersquare or anything like that. This was simply my experience and mine alone, but it was quite uncomfortable. When I walked in everyone just kind of had an attitude and they weren’t welcoming. Everything seemed fabricated. You could tell that at the end of the day this place is just a business and they seem to only care about one thing: money. That is not an environment that I welcome, nor should anyone else. With Codesmith it’s different, not just for the aforementioned reasons alone, but also I am beyond enamored with the devotion of everyone involved. It’s a really special place and I suggest that everyone experience it for themselves.

Build With Code / JavaScript the HardParts
You may ask, “how can I experience it without going to the program?” Well, I’ll tell you! Every Thursday from 6:30 - 9:00 pm Codesmith offers a free Meetup called Build With Code. I can’t emphasis enough how great this place is and especially the Meetups. Who doesn’t like free drinks? Who doesn’t like free food? Not only do they offer those things, but you are able to build cool things and learn about programming in JavaScript. We’ve built a video chat app. A YouTube app and currently we are learning about the hard parts of Javascript, which for anyone trying to get into a bootcamp is essential. Last week it was Callbacks & Higher Order Functions.
The way that it works is, in the beginning you go around and introduce yourself, then tell everyone a little about you, what you’ve been building (if anything) and what your interest in JavaScript is. Subsequently the instructor Will goes into a lecture with slideshows and breaks down everything to first principles, which if you are a fan of Elon Musk (I am) means that that is how you get the job done. Will’s teaching methods (Socratic, I believe) are fantastic. He makes everything so clear and concise that the light inside your mind goes off and you finally understand what it is that you have been making so complicated. You see the solution simplified… Especially in dealing with two of the most misunderstood objects (no pun intended) in JavaScript.
After the lecture, you are split up to pair program. I know you may be thinking... "I don’t want to pair program! I won't go just because of that," but It really is great! Not only can you possibly make a new friend, but you also get the chance to see how other people think, and how they arrive at a solution. That is invaluable in itself because it can help you approach a problem differently one day. When you are pair programming the EIR’s (Engineers in Residence) come in and walk around to offer their assistance to anyone if they get stuck and also to answer any other questions you may have. These guys are really great. Super friendly and helpful. Will then wraps up with a summary to help solidify all that you have learned and then you can wander around the facilities, grab some drinks and food, and hang out and talk with everyone there. If you don’t want to do any of that, you don’t have to, but I can’t recommend that you should enough.
I hope that I am able to clear a few things up for anyone, and if not you can message me or get in touch and I will gladly answer any questions about my experience. If I can’t answer those questions Joseph at Codesmith is also a really great guy and he will be glad to help you. Below are some links to where you can find information on the topics I covered here in the postings...

* Codesmith (http://www.codesmith.io)
* Build With Code - Los Angeles (http://www.meetup.com/build-with-code/)
* Icecomm.io (http://icecomm.io/)
* A JavaScript library for building user interfaces | React (http://facebook.github.io/react/)
* React Native | A framework for building native apps using React (https://facebook.github.io/react-native/)

12/14/2015
  • Anshu Siripurapu

"A transformative experience"

This review was originally posted on Yelp, available here: Anshu S.'s review of Codesmith (http://www.yelp.com/biz/codesmith-los-angeles?hrid=B8jSbwNuncnhsAYt5hAprQ&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct))

If I had... Read More

A friend of mine from high school was interning with Codesmith for the summer and posted about their weekly "Build with Code" sessions which they host in Codesmith HQ Thursdays. I had no plans that day and decided to go, if nothing else but to support a fellow Falcon. I was treated to a lecture by Will on the fundamentals of web development and walked through a tutorial on incorporating video-chat to a web app using Icecomm. At the start of the lecture, Will asked us a series of questions to gauge our level of experience. The only one I got was "Do you know what a variable is?"

That was the extent of my programming knowledge when I started the 8-week academy at Codesmith in the summer of 2015. I am a political economy major at the University of Southern California and my only experience with programming had been a 2-unit Java course that I hastily withdrew from. By the end of Codesmith, however, I had developed a full-stack application that had been a dream of mine for years: an interactive tool for USC students to plan their curriculum over four years. See: class-map.herokuapp.com (http://www.yelp.com/redir?url=http%3A%2F%2Fclass-map.herokuapp.com%2F&s=31c74a272d1fa9533e06a72fdf016da90187ab31fde5ad15bbd8209b8cb36f1a) I also built a snake game, an integrated calendar-chat app, and an alarm-clock that posted messages to a Slack channel via web-hooks when you pressed Snooze.

The difference between a college class and Codesmith is simple: at Codesmith you are surrounded by people who are all vested in your success. The Engineers in Residence that were recruited hailed from some of the top engineering schools in the country --UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA and the University of Pennsylvania -- and were always eager to help and incredibly supportive. Through a combination of lectures, pair-programming challenges, and projects, the program helps you realize your goals as a web developer. The lectures were clear and informative, and the challenges were difficult enough to force growth as a learner. The "Hack Hour" problems at the beginning of each day solidify your understanding of JavaScript fundamentals and teach you creative ways to tackle standard interview questions. This immersive environment is critical for learning something as difficult as web development.
In addition, Codesmith provides access to the industry through a series of guest lectures which are open to the public. I personally saw Tom Occhino, one of the lead React engineers at Facebook, speak and they recently hosted Netflix tech lead Jafar Husain. The team behind Codesmith is committed to helping every cohort achieve their career goals.
If you are still undecided, I would recommend going to one their weekly meetups and meeting the people behind Codesmith who are all extremely talented and approachable. It's a decision you won't regret, I guarantee it.

• Graduated: 2015

"Codesmith got me further so quickly, never would have gotten this far on my own"

Codesmith has transformed my life in such a short amount of time. I knew I wanted to be a web programmer and I was going to teach myself JavaScript over this past summer. On my own I probably would have still been trying to learn the fundamentals, not... Read More

• Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program

"Perspective of a Computer Science graduate"

I had just graduated from college with a B.S. in computer science when I stumbled upon Codesmith. Looking to get some web development experience, I decided to take the course and am very happy I did so.

As many people will tell you, there is a gap between... Read More

I haven’t even begun on the web-development curriculum, which provides excellent exposure to full stack web development. At Codesmith you will learn many things the hard way first, for example, learning to use Node to set up servers without any frameworks before learning to use Express or Hapi. This will give you a deeper understanding of both what’s going on underneath the hood, and in the bigger picture of your application.

One of my favorite things about Codesmith is that they value holistic growth, meaning you won’t just be taught to be a developer who can create websites with ready-made tools. You will be encouraged to become an engineer, who can architect systems beyond websites, and to modify or create your own tools as you see fit. You won’t just be an engineer with team experience. You will be encouraged to lead through empathy, and follow industry workflow with version control and testing. Additionally, Codesmith holds “tutorials” where you will have moderated discussions on tech, for example, Client side vs Server side rendering. You will be encouraged to form a strong understanding of whatever technologies you’ve been exposed to so that you can communicate your thoughts coherently to laymen, as well as anyone else in the industry.

It does take commitment and hard work on your part, but if you want to be a full-stack developer and are ready to commit, I highly recommend checking out Codesmith.

• Full Stack Software Engineering Immersive Program

"Perspective of a Computer Science graduate"

As many people will tell you, there is a gap between... Read More

• Mike Smith

"A great experience"

I was part of Codesmith's 2nd cohort that went from late June to the end of September in 2015. During that time I've met, worked with, and befriended several intelligent, hardworking, awesome people. I can honestly say that, having gone here, I've changed... Read More

I didn't have much of a coding background at all before coming here, but after my 3+ months at Codesmith I feel confident and happy in my abilities. Before applying, be aware that this is a VERY strenuous course; you will be here 60+ hours a week for 12 weeks learning exactly what you need to learn to build a strong foundation and break into the industry.

That being said, the staff is extremely compassionate and dedicated to the success of the students. If you have the passion and work ethic to push through the challenge, Codesmith can be a very rewarding experience.

The curriculum focuses on JavaScript, Node/Express, Angular, and React, but also covers jQuery, databases, and authentication. The final 6-8 weeks are devoted to building projects.

If you aren't quite sure if Codesmith, or even becoming a software engineer is for you, then I highly recommend that you check out one of the many free Meetup events that Codesmith hosts:

Beginners and experienced coders are welcome to come learn and meet with the teachers and students.

In the Los Angeles area I really can't image that there is anywhere better to learn how to code. Codesmith is devoted to providing the best possible experience and supporting the growing community.

Codesmith's average rating is 4.92 out of 5.0 based on 290 review(s).