Fullstack Academy

Online, NYC, Chicago, San Luis Obispo, +4 more.
Los Angeles, Baton Rouge, Jacksonville, San Diego
Best Bootcamp

Ranked 2022 Best Bootcamp

About Fullstack Academy

Location: Online, NYC, Chicago, San Luis Obispo, Los Angeles, Baton Rouge, Jacksonville, San Diego

Fullstack Academy is an immersive web development bootcamp with campuses in New York City, Chicago, and online.

Fullstack teaches an advanced, relevant curriculum that is constantly updated based on current tech trends. The course is focused on JavaScript-oriented... Read More

During the program, students will learn fundamentals, fullstack web development, best practices and tools, and the developer culture. Students will become comfortable and efficient using technologies that include JavaScript, HTML5, CSS3, Node.js, React, PostgreSQL, and Git. Students will also be exposed to industry practices including test-driven development and pair programming. They are also encouraged to expand their education with Fullstack’s CTO lecture series, which provides training for tech leadership and career development.

In addition to the full-time, 13-week program, it offers various courses to fit students’ needs, including a bootcamp prep course designed to help students pass rigorous bootcamp admissions (students can choose between month- and week-long courses), and a 26-week Flex immersive course that offers an opportunity to complete the rigorous Fullstack Immersive program over a six-month period while maintaining a full-time job.

Fullstack’s Bootcamp Prep will help prepare you for admissions into our prestigious flagship Software Engineering Immersive, Remote Immersive, and Flex Immersive programs. This rigorous course will also prepare you for admissions into other highly-ranked coding bootcamps. You’ll learn more than just the fundamentals of programming, you’ll learn how to solve real-world coding problems using the JavaScript language.

University of San Diego Cyber Bootcamp (Part-Time)

Cost: $11,910
Duration: 26 weeks
Locations: San Diego
In-person Only

Powered by Fullstack Academy, the University of San Diego Cyber Bootcamp is built to take students from cybersecurity novice to in-demand cybersecurity professional in just 26 weeks of part-time study. Located on USD’s campus in San Diego, this beginner-friendly program covers the most important techniques, tactics and tools for a lucrative cybersecurity career including networking essentials, Linux & Python, Command Line Input (CLI), pen testing methodology, vulnerability discovery, threat modelling, and preventing recon.

The immersive is powered by Fullstack Academy, one of the longest-running and most successful coding bootcamps in the nation. Its graduates are equipped to succeed in the professional world through Fullstack’s foundational teaching method which allows students to thrive in their first job and every job after. Bootcamp grads also gain the assistance of Fullstack’s dedicated career services team and leave as members of the USD-Fullstack community— a supportive alumni network that can help open doors to future career opportunities.

Web Development Fellowship at Fullstack Academy

Cost: Free
Duration: 24 weeks
Locations: NYC
In-person Only

In partnership with the NYC Tech Talent Pipeline, the NYC Web Development Fellowship will award eligible NYC residents tuition-free admission to Fullstack’s award-winning Software Engineering program. This curriculum has been proven successful—Fullstack graduates are now working at companies like Google, Venmo, Facebook, Amazon, and LinkedIn, as well as hundreds of innovative small- and mid-size tech companies. Learn more about the fellowship as well as eligibility requirements on the Fullstack website: https://www.fullstackacademy.com/nyc-fellowship

Subjects:
CSS, HTML, React.js, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript

Fullstack Academy Reviews

Fullstack Academy logo

4.85/5 (146 reviews)

Megan Donnelly

3/30/2020

Overall

"Best investment I've made"

Prior to attending Fullstack's immersive program, I was working in quality assurance at a tech company and I was interested in changing careers to software engineering. I spoke with a number of my coworkers who had attended bootcamps, and the Fullstack... Read More

Anonymous
Graduated: 2020

3/24/2020

Overall

"Ultimately rewarding, but room for improvement"

Pros:
-Structured class setting with minimal lectures and lots of hands-on work
-Great workshops that don't hold your hands
-Great setting for working with others whether it's pair exercises or group projects
-Great instructors who are always available to... Read More

Cons:
-The pacing of the course could use some work. e.g. REACTOs (practice technical interviews) are more of an after-thought in the current set up when they are so crucial for the job search
-Based on my experience, the weaker students are generally grouped with the stronger students for group projects, giving little incentive to demonstrate that you are a top student; almost better to just do the bare minimum on the Junior phase.

Jasmine Wang

3/16/2020

Overall

"Without exaggerating - life changing"

There are a lot of things you can learn on your own, and I thought software development may have been one of them. When I attended Fullstack Academy (by way of the Grace Hopper Program), I went farther and higher than I could have ever expected. This... Read More

I have made lifelong friends in this program. The people I've met have been kind, funny, considerate, thoughtful, intelligent. There's a strict "no assholes" policy and I think that goes a long way.

It's an intense and immersive program, and yet I am motivated to continue growing and learning. The material is constantly updated to keep up with the current landscape in software development, and it shows. The instructors aren't afraid to test out new material / libraries with us to make sure we are as up to date as we can be.

I ended up continuing as a teaching fellow in the program for 3 months following my graduation. I was able to look for work in the second half of my fellowship, and received an offer within two weeks of looking. Holly, the career success counselor, was vital in helping me through my search, in salary negotiation, and in quelling impostor syndrome/general job search anxiety.

I was a skeptic of bootcamps but I'm really happy I decided to attend this one.

Nikko Elliott

3/13/2020

Overall

"Challenging but also rewarding"

When I decided to switch careers to software engineering, I didn't look much beyond Fullstack Academy as a starting place. Their reputation and proven numbers were stellar and it didn't hurt their onsite immersive in Chicago was easily accessible to me.... Read More

Chris Kang
Graduated: 2020

2/11/2020

"Bet on yourself"

Fullstack Academy played a very special role in my life at a time (around 40 years old) when I was finally daring to face down deeply ingrained fears and negative thought patterns about my ability to learn challenging new concepts and skills, and bet... Read More

I attended the immersive program, which is so well structured and paced, relevant/current, and meticulously and lovingly crafted; the instructors are masterful and clearly passionate and invested in the success of the students (love to Finn, Collin, and Priti); and the student community is so intelligent, growth-oriented, warm, and supportive (coming from someone who usually has trouble fitting in), that there's no question this was a critical turning point in my life. Fullstack's career counseling- and especially, their Chicago lead, Holly- is the best I've engaged with anywhere in my life, and I've just accepted a software development role at a company I'm truly excited to work for.

I could ramble for a long time, but here are some subtle things of note:
- They have an actual 'No Assholes' sign, no assholes were encountered in my time there
- They have an entire lecture dedicated to unconscious bias, and I watched them make good on it with poise and grace when a contentious situation arose
- They demonstrate and fluently integrate a deep understanding of the learning process, including concepts like psychological safety and a hierarchy of activities that solidify knowledge acquisition (if you've always felt teaching is the best way to learn- you're in good company)
- I normally get icky vibes from CEOs (and I've met many), but when one of the co-founders, David Yang, came to do a Q&A with my cohort toward the end of our time there, he was so transparent, and took the time to truly consider and reply authentically, evenly, and without pretense to every question (even some challenging ones about company management), that the last piece of the puzzle snapped into place- this is a program founded and built by a group of people who have a deep, abiding love of technology and of learning, and faith in the potential of both of these things to change individual lives and the world.

Anonymous

2/4/2020

"Changed my life!"

This is my review of The Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy according to my experience:

The curriculum was fast-paced and challenging but not insurmountable. At times, I felt insecure, doubtful, and overwhelmed, but 17 weeks later I graduated a... Read More

The level of support I received at GH was second to none. After lectures, students put their learning into practice through independent labs or pair programming workshops. Admittedly, I didn't enjoy pair programming at first; it was a foreign concept that brought me considerable anxiety. But with each new workshop, I quickly came to see how much my colleagues wanted me to succeed. I had pair programming partners who were stronger coders yet walked through each step with me, ensuring I understood what we were doing and how parts connected into a whole. I had pair programming partners who were on par with me and high-fived our way into debugging and building small features or apps. I had pair programming partners who had trouble understanding concepts and whom I, in turn, was able to walk through the workshop with, ensuring they understood what we were doing and how parts connected into a whole. You see, the level of support I received turned into support I couldn't help but to pay forward, and that was the unique beauty of our cohort. Everyone wanted everyone to succeed.

We'd spend after-hours on campus, helping each other step through new challenges, not simply telling someone the answer but instead asking pointed questions to help them arrive at their conclusion. We'd come alongside one another (figuratively and quite literally), huddling around the monitors with support. One rockstar in our cohort who had a strong command of the coursework hosted several events to help others comprehend the material as well.

Fellows also surrounded us with support. Though we're assigned one fellow, I felt like the lot of them were championing me and cheering me on. They were always willing to help me, even after a long day of help tickets among all their other responsibilities.

Instructors were spectacular, even going as far as to hosting additional lectures during lunch to help us in areas where we might have been weak. They had great metaphors, demonstrations, live demos, and more. They asked challenging questions during our project code reviews, giving us a taste of what we'd surely experience during interviews. They pushed us but never doubted us. And they were available to run through additional mock technical interviews if we asked.

All in all, I could wax poetic about the camaraderie, the amount of love we truly have for each other (I mean, where else will an entire room stop to applaud and cheer one group's victorious debugging when *everyone* is stressed and racing the clock to get their group projects working??), the Slack channels that are still live and well, and the friendships I've formed. But space is limited. So I'll leave with this: your experience is what you make of it. And our cohort decisively made our experience one of love, respect, friendship, and support. When I landed a job within a month of graduation (thank you, Hiring Day), the responses from my peers blew me away. I'm excited to see where we all end up and I'm certain we're more than equipped to go far because of the training and network of support we received at GH.

Special shout to career services. Yasmin was very helpful during my negotiation process like the rockstar she is. :)

Jennie

2/3/2020

Overall

"Exceeded my (high) expectations"

When I started looking at software engineering bootcamps, I prioritized finding one with a challenging curriculum. Fullstack’s rigorous application process and focus on “productive struggle” during Bootcamp Prep made it my top choice, and the hands-on,... Read More

Fullstack’s curriculum requires hard work, especially for those like me without a programming background. Students have to pass checkpoints in Foundations (4-week online course) to make it to Junior Phase (6-week on-site lectures / workshops), and there’s a similar checkpoint before the project-based Senior phase begins. Having access to fellows and instructors through help tickets and office hours helped me grasp important concepts for homework and looming tests. In Junior Phase, we had the additional benefit of weekly learning lunches led by fellows who answered questions on course content and their experiences at Fullstack.

Relationships with fellows and instructors deepened in Senior Phase: fellows advised us on our projects and instructors led code reviews. The Chicago campus instructors, Collin, Finn, and Priti, gave practical advice when we hit technical snags and encouraged us to learn beyond the curriculum. They held retrospectives for feedback after each project and seemed intune with our needs. (We received an impromptu lecture on React hooks, for instance, after they saw our interest in the topic.)

Chicago also has an amazing career success lead, Holly, who coaches students through resume and LinkedIn updates, technical interviews, and job offers. Holly brought in great companies for Launch Day, where local companies watch capstone project presentations and conduct interviews. Launch Day interviews can lead to job offers, and did for me.

I would only tweak one thing: while the team does a great job of teaching algorithms and data structures during Senior Phase, seeing those exercises earlier on would have been beneficial.

Overall, however, I would recommend Fullstack’s program for its rigorous coursework and excellent support from instructors, fellows, and career success team.

Lerena Holloway

11/11/2019

Overall

"This program will Upgrade you!"

I attended the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy of Code and I have to say, it was one of the best moves in my entry to Software Engineering career. I went in knowing only a little about Front-End development, Beginner Python, and a little bit... Read More

I knew that I wanted to take my coding skills to the next level, so after researching and hearing from other people I had reached out to who had also completed Fullstack, I chose to give it a try. Coming in, I was a bit intimidated, afraid for what would happen...would I be able to keep up? What if I failed? I had heard that the intensity of the course was very high and that a lot of new information would be thrown at me. I chose to go forth, courageously and make the investment. I am thoroughly glad that I did not let fear of the unknown stop me.

The program was highly structured and regimented. The system was so detailed it became easy to pinpoint areas where there was a block in my understanding; coming from the military, I really appreciated such an organized platform. This level of structure along with the immense support from the staff and fellows made it possible to tackle really hard subjects in such a short period of time. It was far from easy, but attending Fullstack helped me to realize my own ability in learning new technologies in a matter of 2 weeks and really possessing the aptitude to create projects that I never believed I could have created a year ago. This is just the tip of the iceberg of what makes Fullstack a top choice!

Ani Kerr

10/31/2019

"Life-changing"

I graduated from Fullstack Academy 2 months ago. It was a great experience. My cohort was a diverse group of like-minded people who were eager to learn. It is as intense as you would expect, so make sure you have a good foundation before starting. The... Read More

As for the curriculum, I was told more than once during my job search that the skills I had stood out from the majority of bootcamp grads. One interviewer was surprised I had only learned React a few months ago. I put this down to the quality of teaching I received. I would highly recommend Fullstack Academy to anyone serious about attending a coding program and making a career change.

Alvin Tang

10/18/2019

"Lifechanger"

I'll start with the cons. There aren't many, but they're important if you're considering Fullstack or any bootcamp. Cons Fullstack is growing temendously, but as it grows it seems like the acceptance and graduation requirements are getting more lenient... Read More