Hack Reactor

Courses: Hack Reactor Remote + Blockchain, Part Time Software Engineering Immersive, Software Engineering Immersive, Software Engineering Premium Prep

Online, Boulder, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, NYC

About Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a lifelong network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and... Read More

Job Outcomes

Not Employed 18%
Unemployed and still seeking a job 18%
Unemployed and not seeking a job 4%
Non-reporting 1%

This bootcamp uses the CIRR methodology. All CIRR members use a standardized, one-page format. To ensure complete accuracy, CIRR reports account for each enrolled student. You can compare outcomes with other CIRR members side-by-side. Learn more about CIRR.

Hack Reactor Remote + Blockchain

Locations: Online

Blockchain technology is revolutionizing how everyday digital transactions are managed. Think BITCOIN. It's changing the face of software development and has the potential to disrupt countless industries in the very near future.

Hack Reactor has incorporated Blockchain curriculum exclusively in their online coding bootcamp (Hack Reactor Remote) cohorts to empower our student programmers upfront, on the heels of this emerging technology. This program takes the time-tested curriculum and transformative experience of our campus-based immersive, and makes it accessible to students all across the world.

The program is built by top engineers and is offered in a 12 weeks full-time or 9 months part-time format. By joining Hack Reactor for this course, you can be among the new generation of successful job seekers to master Blockchain and add this competence to your skillset.

Subjects: Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and Crypto, Blockchain, JavaScript

Part Time Software Engineering Immersive

Locations: Online

The Hack Reactor at Galvanize immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. The Remote Part-Time program offers the same curriculum, program and quality as Hack Reactor's immersive programs, but provides greater flexibility. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly.

Students will learn the fundamentals of CS, Full Stack JavaScript, Inheritance Patterns, Algorithms, Browser Animation, D3, Angular, API frameworks, CSS frameworks, JS frameworks, Deployment and Authentication, Application Design/Development, and Job Searching skills.
By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.

Subjects: CSS, Git, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Software Test Automation, AJAX, Functional Programming, MVC, Test-Driven Development (TDD), React.js, Algorithms, AngularJS, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript

Software Engineering Immersive

• Cost: $17,980
Locations: Online, Boulder, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, NYC

The Hack Reactor at Galvanize immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly.

During the program, you will learn the fundamentals of CS, Full Stack JavaScript, Inheritance Patterns, Algorithms, Browser Animation, D3, Angular, API frameworks, CSS frameworks, JS frameworks, Deployment and Authentication, Application Design/Development, and Job Searching skills - and more!

Galvanize Career Services Managers will prepare you for your post-graduation job search. From leading in-class workshops to holding private study hours, our managers will help you establish career goals and continually monitor your progress throughout the program. The career prep curriculum teaches personal branding, networking, job searching, and interviewing skills.

By the end of the course, you can expect to have a strong, unique Github portfolio, online profiles, and a resume that reflects your value in the job market as an autonomous engineer capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications. Post-graduation, you’ll receive ongoing support from Hack Reactor at Galvanize after graduation, including access to career meetups, daily GitHub pushes and employer referrals.

Software Engineering Premium Prep

• Cost: $250
Locations: Online

Our Premium Prep program is designed to transform participants from beginners to having mastery of basic JS fundamentals and crucial skills needed by anyone learning to code. The program includes over 100 hours of live supported learning in a 100% ONLINE group setting using various online tools to connect with staff and peers. The cost of Premium Prep can be applied as a credit towards tuition for any participants who join any Hack Reactor at Galvanize Software Engineering Immersive program.

Hack Reactor also offers free basic prep and a mentored prep option, which you can learn more about here: https://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs.

Subjects: JavaScript

Hack Reactor Reviews

Overall

4.77/5

11/6/2019
  • Tyler Stendara

"Unrivaled Bootcamp"

Before HR, I took the traditional route by attending a four year university for Computer Science but quickly became unamused and unmotivated because of its poor atmosphere. After a few years, I decided to look into Hack Reactor and I can confidently say... Read More

10/29/2019
  • Chagil Guiab
  • Graduated: 2019

"Overhauled my career and life. It works."

I started the Hack Reactor prep program (then called Structured Study Program) in November of 2018, entered the full-time immersive in February of 2019, graduated that May, stayed on in an associate instructor role until August, and started my position... Read More

I think the critical pieces to the success of the program are: its emphasis on both hard and soft skills, its focus on community-building around shared goals, and the pivot into career readiness and support as students approach graduation.

Students spend as much time and energy leveling up their ability to communicate and collaborate with others, verbalize their technical work with accessible language, and iterate on their workflow and project planning as they do on leveling up their technical abilities. This is huge for both nailing technical interviews and performing on the job as a software engineer (which are two different beasts). It's not enough to be great at coding or communicating; both are necessary. Students are guided by technical instructors and counselors, each of who are passionate, dedicated people who genuinely care about their students' success. They do a great job of fostering a community, which certainly helps with motivation/morale, but also improves technical growth through collaborative approaches to the material. It also translates to professional networking. You're likely to meet amazing people going through such a rigorous program that places such high value on people skills. I certainly did.

The curriculum is iterative; both students and instructors are in tight feedback loops, and schedules and assignments are flexible to match the needs of students and industry trends. Side note: I think it's important to view the curriculum as a tool rather than a transformative environment-- you won't move through it and level up into a software engineer. You'll use it, along with Google and your peers, to figure out how to solve a million tiny problems and a few big ones. It (the curriculum) has some shortcomings, but I think the overall system works, and I think it serves its purpose.

The career support is huge. The career counselors meet with you regularly after graduation to coach you through the job hunt, working on/vetting doc's like resumes, covers, emails, etc., and practicing interview talking points, compensation deflection and negotiation, and general mental model/strategy work. I found this critical to my success in the job hunt. Special shout out to Lena Johnson in the Remote campus.

Overall, the program provides what it says it will: the environment, tools, resources, and people for you to figure out how to software engineer.

10/28/2019
  • Camron Stuart
  • Graduated: 2019

"Great Program that goes above and beyond, changed my life entirely"

I was a chef with only a hobby level of experience with computers and coding, decided to take the course after hearing about it from a friend. Easily one of the better decisions I've made in my life. I'm now employed as a Software Engineer in New Hampshire... Read More

10/19/2019
  • Adam Gipril
  • Graduated: 2019

"Well-polished preparation for a new career"

When I enrolled in Hack Reactor, I had been working as a professional bicycle mechanic full-time for about seven years following a loss of interest in pursuing a career in my electrical engineering degree. Despite being reasonably well-paid for the bike... Read More

Pros:
- Well-polished program
- Rapidly learn software engineering beyond just the basics — learn some best practices while mimicking a real work environment
- Excellent technical and emotional support when it's needed
- Learn alongside fellow excellent people
- Great balance of autonomy (super-valuable) and direction

Cons:
- I loved the pace personally, but it can be a struggle at times

10/18/2019
  • Jarrod Miller
  • Graduated: 2019

"You get what you pay for"

I’m a software engineer who graduated from Hack Reactor, and then stayed a few extra months to help teach and assist before getting hired as a full-time software developer. My salary as a Software Engineer is average for the town I work in (Austin, TX),... Read More

Should you consider this program? Do you really need a boot camp at all? It is a difficult question, especially because Hack Reactor isn’t cheap. I hope my review helps you answer these questions.

First, should you consider Hack Reactor over other programs? This one is a resounding yes! Hack Reactor has a fantastic entrance exam that only lets in students who are strong in their programming basics, and are also decent people. Hack Reactor will have you studying with your classmates for 70 hours a week, for three months. They try to not let in anyone who isn’t amiable or who doesn’t have a strong programming foundation. While the price tag is steep, it also means that every student you meet will be 100% committed. As a result, the large majority of Hack Reactor students I met were fantastic, driven people, and I have personally seen them get great jobs at companies such as IBM, Apple, Google and more. Sure, there are other great Boot Camps, but I have no doubt that Hack Reactor is one of the best.

Helping teach after my graduation further convinced me of this - I worked with the staff for three extra months, and I got to sit in on their many weekly meetings. They discussed each student’s progress, strategies on how to get each person to excel, and ways they could improve as a team. Their success rides on the success rate of their students, and so they truly care about their student’s success.

Second, should you consider a boot camp at all? It is a much harder question. Hack Reactor’s mission is to provide three things: Curriculum, Capital, and Community. Curriculum is what most people already have access to, with 80% of the things taught at Hack Reactor being available online. They do have some fantastic group-based milestone projects, which would be impossible to do by yourself. Lastly, the group workflow foundation they give you (working with Git, ticketing systems) shouldn’t be underestimated. Still, I get it. FreeCodeCamp is awesome.

Capital and Community - these are the two things I’d reckon most people are lacking. If you have a strong connections to the tech industry, or if you have the capacity to go back to a good university, this program may not be for you. As for me, I loved programming, but I was overworked and underpaid at the hotel I worked at. I didn’t know any other programmers, and I was too busy being an adult to consistently self study. On top of all that, I had no freaking clue how to sell myself for a tech job! Hack Reactor’s grueling course allowed me to devote 100% of my time to becoming a better programmer, an opportunity I am truly grateful for. I made a ton of awesome connections along the way... I even competed in a Hackathon with three new friends after the program, and our team won first place!

Should you consider a boot camp? It really is a tough question, but I’m glad I did it. You may hear online that you can do it by yourself, and some people definitely can. However, it is within six months of my graduation, and at least 90% of my class are now employed as software engineers. We all met for pizza this last week. I’m not fluffing these numbers up - check out Hack Reactor’s website for real success rates. I bet their success rates are some of the strongest, and I am 100% certain their success rates trounce the self-taught crowd’s success rate.

If you are still on the fence, try taking the entrance exam. You won’t regret it.

10/16/2019
  • Sydney Casey
  • Graduated: 2019

"Hack Reactor was a great experience"

This program was very rewarding. For me, and it seems a lot of other people, it completely turned my life around. In my experience meeting other boot camp graduates, it’s clear that hack reactor’s curriculum goes above and beyond the industry standard.... Read More

10/8/2019
  • Graduated: 2019

"Great curriculum and job search support, worth it for those willing to put in the work"

Quitting my job and making the career transition to software engineering is one of the best decisions I've made. If you genuinely like to code and think you can handle a fast-paced learning environment, Hack Reactor is a great option. The curriculum is... Read More

The job search support is another way I think Hack Reactor stands out. They have you thinking about your resume and practicing interview-style problems very early on, and throughout the second half of the program you have one hour in-person whiteboarding interviews every week. After you graduate, you have access to career counseling for up to 6 months with a weekly check-in to hold you accountable. There are also office hours with the tech mentors for mock interviews and the alumni network is very extensive. Any alumni I reached out to was more than happy to talk and help me out.

Although Hack Reactor was great for me, I think it's important to note that I don't think full-time bootcamps in general are for everyone. They are extremely fast-paced and challenging, and if you can't learn under that kind of pressure I would recommend doing a part time option. The job market for junior engineers, especially in LA, feels saturated and finding a job is not easy. The people who get jobs at companies like Google and Amazon right after graduating usually have prior tech/engineering experience. That being said, finding a job is not impossible if you're willing to put the work in and be persistent.

10/3/2019
  • Jane
  • Graduated: 2019

"The toughest journey yet the most rewarding"

I graduated from HRR in 2019 and my experience was amazing from the beginning through my job search phase.

First of all, HRR has a great team of staff who are willing to help you out every step of the way and truly want to see you succeed. Don't expect... Read More

I landed a great job at an amazing company and I'm super excited to build my career in Software Engineering. Can't thank my career coach enough, she was the best! Not only did she give me great interview tips but she was an emotional support during the job search phase which can be stressful.

10/2/2019
  • Evelyn

"Hack Reactor - Austin"

Just a little background on myself: I was an educator that was determined to be the exception and remain a teacher for the entirety of my working years. I was incredibly passionate, dedicated...and made it nine years. I needed a change, new problems to... Read More

HRATX offers emotional and technical support whenever you need it. There are opportunities for office hours with residents, instructors, and the campus lead to address any concerns that you may have and scheduling such sessions is incredibly quick and easy. The staff is always kind, direct, and extremely helpful. Not to mention, any feedback you have is well received and addressed.

I have a lot of experience around educators and have known many great ones. However, one of my favorite teachers I’ve ever had is at HackReactor in Austin. The instruction was made accessible, interesting, and no question was too trivial.

As amazing as this program is, you get out what you put in. Not having any technical background, this was the hardest 12 weeks of work that I’ve done and was incredibly humbling. But I worked really hard, stayed late, and asked a lot of questions. I leaned heavily on my peers (which Hack Reactor does a great job selecting, in my opinion) and tried to do everything advised by the instructors. This curriculum, method of instruction, and stellar career services yielded two job offers within a month.

If I had it all to do over again, I would choose this program again in a heartbeat.

10/2/2019
  • Caroline
  • Graduated: 2019

"Great experience! Highly recommended for those looking for a career path change!"

I graduated from Hack Reactor Los Angeles campus this year. As a graduates, I can confident say Hack Reactor has great learning atmosphere, efficient and powerful curriculum, employees are extremely reachable and helpful. After I graduated, I am very... Read More

In sum, I am really appreciate about choosing Hack Reactor, and it is a successful career path change for me! Thank you Hack Reactor LA!!!!

Hack Reactor's average rating is 4.77 out of 5.0 based on 244 review(s).