Makers Academy

Courses: Web Development Bootcamp

Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London

About Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 12 week, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development. Based in London, England the course is delivered fully remotely and is open to anyone in the world who meets the coding... Read More

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running.

There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

We have an incredibly popular emotional intelligence curriculum as well, with virtual yoga and meditation support, because world-class software developers are great communicators and collaborators as well as great coders.

Makers has the largest dedicated career coaching team in the industry providing 1:1 support to help you launch your tech career. We have relationships with over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco). We also have the largest alumni network in the UK.

Web Development Bootcamp

• Cost: £8,000
Locations: Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London

Firsthand Experience

Forget rote learning and slow progress. You'll be learning from world class developers and immediately implementing the concepts into your own projects. Be prepared to drink from the firehose.

Community-driven Classrooms

During your hands on training, we invite engineers from top tech companies to guide you. You'll be learning while simultaneously networking with key members in the technology community.

Pairing

Students spend about 50-70% of their time pair programming, meaning two people working together on the same code base. Pairing is a fantastic way to learn new concepts and studies have shown developer output to INCREASE when developers pair program.

Project-Based Work

While the first half of the course focuses on the fundamentals of Web Development and the Ruby Language, the second half focuses heavily on students creating real-life projects. You will leave the course with at least 3 complete pieces of work for your portfolio, as well as a bulging Github account and plenty of points on Stack Overflow.

Makers Academy Reviews

Overall

4.72/5

9/30/2020
  • Hisham Bokhari | Associate Software Engineer

"Life changing experience"

The Makers Academy bootcamp was the best decision that I made. From having zero coding experience and coming from an entrepreneurial background it had to be challenging to leave everything behind and dive deep into this experience. What led me to make... Read More

9/29/2020
  • E Wright | Software Developer
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great experience if you're ready to put in the work"

Ultimately I would recommend Makers as the best way to quickly get into the exciting world of software development. If you’re someone who loves learning and is excited to work hard at something new, then this course is for you!

Pros

No background in coding... Read More

Cheaper and quicker than a degree.

Good course materials, you will learn loads in a short space of time, and have more material than you can possibly get through so you can choose bits that interest you. If you missed bits during the course, the material is always available to you after the course.
You learn how to code in a workplace to make you as employable as possible. You’re taught Test Driven Development, Version control, good code fundamentals, how to pass interview tech tests and how to code as part of a team which are all really useful.

Makers have a great team of coaches/staff that are lovely, both during and after the course. They are open to feedback, which has resulted in the course evolving over the years. The coaches are happy to help with problems if you’re struggling. I found the post-course coaches to be the most helpful, they have a wealth of knowledge and resources to help with all job hunt aspects.

Emotional wellbeing focus - there is a dedicated person to provide emotional support, there to listen and help if you’re finding it stressful (and a career change can be pretty stressful). Meditation and yoga are great if you’re into that.

Amazing network of active alumni that help out with problems and will link to mid/senior roles for later in your career
This course is good for people who are willing and able to work hard. You don’t need to be super smart, just able to deal with situations where the work is tough and no one is providing you solutions straight away.

There are projects to get involved in after the course to learn additional skills while you job hunt, the teamwork never has to stop!

Macbooks provided while on the course.

Cons

It’s not easy. Your brain will work hard to put all this new information into it. And it doesn’t end once you land a job - you never stop learning. Be prepared.

The course is best for people who like to work with others - you will be pairing or in teams every day on the course. If you prefer to work by yourself, this is probably not the course for you.

The course is currently remote due to the current world situation. You will have to work a little bit harder to get to know your cohort, however there is plenty of time dedicated to working with your cohort so bonding really does happen. Also remote courses work best with a reliable internet connection for all the zoom calls.

Course is mostly in Ruby with some Javascript, which is lovely for beginners, but there are not so many jobs in Ruby. You have to be willing to work after the course/at the start of a new job to pick up something new (this is much easier with the skills you learn from the course).

As of September 2020, the job market is just picking up after Covid, and Makers don’t currently have as many hiring partners with open roles as they did. There are still roles, but most people will get jobs from outside of Makers. Be prepared to spend time dedicated to jobhunting after the course.

The job offer guarantee refund isn’t automatic - to get it you need to apply to ~20 jobs a month and put in learning hours after graduating. Talking to coaches can give you flexibility and help you find a structure that works for you. If you take the refund, you will lose help from coaches so it’s not the right option for everyone.

Graduates in Comp Sci will know more than you, especially on software and hardware background. Learning about algorithms is an option course for makers grads whereas Comp Sci grads often cover it early on. To get jobs, you have to be able to market yourself in other ways, explain non coding work experience is relevant, show you know how to code in the workplace and have made cool projects during your time at Makers. Absolutely do-able and Makers will help you do that. Makers have a good reputation in the industry which works in your favour, but there are some jobs that will favour uni grads.

9/24/2020
  • Karla Gardiner | Software Developer
  • Graduated: 2020

"A Fun Life-Changing Challenge"

Makers provided a really great environment to learn how to become a professional software developer. It catered to all styles of learning and had a good balance between directing our learning and forcing us to learn by ourselves. Experiencing this process... Read More

Makers also offered amazing support after graduating to help us find a job. I attended free workshops to further my coding skills, a hackathon and I participated in a group project that was lead by one of Maker's coaches. Makers also offered loads of 121 support with coaches, interview practice, and so on. Job hunting during a pandemic was tough at the best of times, but Makers put in a lot of effort to help us be successful despite this.

9/22/2020
  • Dhara | Software Developer | Makers Graduate
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great bootcamp for career-changers."

Overall I had a fantastic experience at Makers Academy and it was the best decision I've ever made. It goes without saying that it was very intense in terms of how much you learn in a relatively short time-frame, however, I'm sure all bootcamps are similar... Read More

Pros:
- Excellent technical coaches who are willing to help and guide you in the right direction to finding the solution.
- Regular workshops in the first few weeks, which teach you the fundamental processes of software development and coding best practices. (These were also recorded as the course was fully remote, so we could watch them back later if necessary).
- Emotional Intelligence workshops led by the 'Chief Joy Officer' - learnt how to communicate better, how to give and receive constructive feedback and working with different personality types etc.).
- Great careers support upon finishing the course - workshops on CV's, cover letters, all the different jobs boards etc. (provide 1-2-1 careers coaching sessions if required).

Cons:
- Didn't anticipate how much we'd learn in a short time, however, if you're willing to put in the work and some self-led learning you'll still enjoy the course as much as I did!
- The coaches don't 'spoon feed' you and won't give you the answers straight away, which although can be frustrating at the time, it really made me think for myself and I can now unblock myself most of the time rather than asking for help straight away.

9/19/2020
  • Ian Aquino
  • Graduated: 2019

"Definitely a worthwhile experience!"

My time at Makers was definitely one that I will never forget as it has allowed me to finally pursue the career that I have dreamed of! The curriculum is very well thought of, starting from the basics of programming all the way up to creating our own... Read More

All in all, I absolutely recommend this Bootcamp for those who are thinking about attending a Software Development Bootcamp. It will not be easy, but it will definitely be worth it!

9/15/2020
  • Alastair Sumner | Consultant
  • Graduated: 2020

"How Makers changed my life....."

It wasn't without trepidation that I decided to hand in my notice and look towards a career in development. I had no idea what to expect at Makers, especially after we were told that the entire course would be remote. After having a tour of the facility... Read More

9/8/2020
  • Anonymous | Trainee Delivery Consultant
  • Graduated: 2020

"A fantastic way to career change and pivot toward a new opportunity"

I had a fantastic time at Makers, so much so that I have regularly said to people that I wouldn't mind starting again!
It is a really supportive positive environment where the main takeaway for me was that the key was "Learning to learn". The coaches... Read More

9/3/2020
  • Alex Lewis
  • Graduated: 2020

"Excellent! (Always a little room to improve)"

To sum up, the approach at Makers is to help you learn to learn better. You will not be spoon fed, they will teach you the basics and from there it is up to you to find the answers where you do not already know them. This is important, as one of the aims... Read More

The curriculum is good overall. They start you off using Ruby due to it's accessible nature, you then move onto learning JavaScript which is a fairly smooth transition because of most of the things you know from Ruby translate to JavaScript. You also look at other areas such as databases and the HTTP response cycle. In our course, there was a two week project that used Ruby on Rails which I personally felt was wasted time. Although there are plenty of companies using Rails two weeks would almost certainly be better spent building a full stack JavaScript application using a framework like React or Vue. These skills are simply much more in demand. There are other technologies or concepts that would be great if they could include in the curriculum but I think considering the time constraints it is a very useful and complete grounding in web development.

The coaches are all very personable and are genuinely determined to make you better. As I touched on previously, if you can't work something out, they won't give you an answer, they will start by asking you what your process is and making you go through the process so that you can arrive at an answer. For sure this is the right way to go about things. Occasionally however, you simply just don't understand a concept, you've tried your best to find out the answer and you really need someone to explain it to you like you are a dummy. I found the coaches could be a little blind to that, and on occasion somewhat resistant to helping. Indeed there were some frustrated conversations where we wondered what we were getting for our money as we may only get 3-4 hours worth of workshops in a week, and otherwise we were teaching ourselves everything (again I acknowledge self-teaching, overall, is a pro of this course). I also think that the coaches are a little overstretched. It could take a while to get feedback or help with something. I believe there are some moves being made to get some extra coaches in, which should help this.

All bootcamps are naturally intense experiences and one of the things that Makers do best is look after you. There is an emotional intelligence curriculum to help you manage your emotions better and also to work with others. The coaches are all very empathetic and approachable but there is also a coach dedicated to the emotional well being of students who gives fantastic, constructive methods so that you can finish the course without excess stress. I know for a fact that Makers supported people who needed substantial help to overcome some serious difficulties and for this I cannot commend them enough.

The careers team are great and very supportive. You feel they are genuinely in your corner and rooting for you all the way. Again I think they could do with more technical coaches for post-course but I believe steps are being taken to increase numbers here.

A final minor point is there were a couple of moments where I felt that political opinions were given by Makers staff which I felt were shared in the assumption that everyone would agree with them and I whilst I don't think organisations have to be be apolitical, I think care should be taken over this.

Overall I would definitely recommend this bootcamp. The curriculum is good, the coaches are great and I've definitely made some good friends who I've shared the experience with. I mentioned that at points we wondered what we were getting for our money. The price tag is hefty (but cheaper than some others), but so much of the value of that is being put which a group of fellow students who share your ambition. You drive each other on. By being with like-minded people you are so much more likely to achieve your goal rather than going it alone. I think there are things to improve upon and I have had no problem with writing my critiques publicly because as an organisation they are very open to constructive feedback.

If you want to change career, this won't be easy, but commit to it and you will get the rewards.

8/24/2020
  • Faye Carter
  • Graduated: 2020

"The best decision I've ever made"

I was stuck in a job that I hated for 7 years. I spent a lot of that time trying to teach myself how to code but never managed to develop the skills I needed to switch careers. Choosing to study at Makers is on of the best decisions I have ever made.... Read More

8/17/2020
  • Kabir Qazi | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2020

"Increase in self confidence"

I've had a difficult time trying to figure out what career path I want to take, doing 7 A-levels trying to keep my options open between medicine and finance it's fair to say I've spent most of my earlier career trying to figure out what I enjoy and am... Read More

Having spent 3 months on the Maker Bootcamp not only have I learnt stuff I've been trying to teach myself for 4 years but I have gained a lot of confidence in my ability. You learn a lot in the three months: command line; code versioning; TDD; new languages...but the most important thing you learn is how to learn. Becoming a developer felt like it was near impossible but now that I know how to learn a new language and how to maintain the best practices that Everist climb looks a lot smaller!

I am excited to finally be on the career path that I am passionate about and looking forward to continuing my learning.

P.S. The support the Makers team give is amazing, on many occasions I had myself referring to Eddie as a superhero!!

Makers Academy's average rating is 4.72 out of 5.0 based on 295 review(s).