Rithm School

Courses: Web Development Program

Online, San Francisco

About Rithm School

****Rithm’s full-stack web development program is currently being conducted remotely throughout 2020.****

The Rithm team aims to take independent and thoughtful students and turn them into confident and creative full-stack developers. Class sizes are limited... Read More

The curriculum is centered around JavaScript and Python, and students will gain the technical skills needed to succeed as a web developer, along with a deep understanding of the industry's conventions and best practices. The course is structured so students have three weeks contribute to open source code with company projects, and two full-time weeks of job support.

Rithm School has a team of experienced instructors with years of experience both teaching and writing curriculum. Rithm School works closely with partner companies to ensure that the curriculum is top quality and relevant, enabling graduates to hit the ground running from day one. With a small student to teacher ratio and experienced instructors, students can move faster and cover more material than in other bootcamps.

Rithm School is committed to student success both during and after the program. Students can choose a deferred tuition option, and if you not learning at the pace necessary to be successful during the first six weeks of the program, Rithm offers a full refund and the opportunity to apply for a later class.

Web Development Program

• Cost: $24,000
Locations: Online, San Francisco

****Web Development Program is currently being conducted remotely throughout 2020.****

What you'll be doing on any given day may vary, but you'll typically be coding for a majority of the day, both alone and in pairs. Instructors will lecture on more conceptual topics in the morning and afternoon, but we encourage you to spend as much time as possible coding while instructors are available. In the later afternoon and evenings, you'll have material to read, watch, and review in order to solidify your understanding and prepare for the next day.

The first 11 weeks focus on JavaScript, Python, Algorithms, Data Structures, React.js, Bootstrap, Express.js, PostgreSQL, SQL. The next three weeks allow students to contribute to contribute to open source, then the last two weeks you will be focusing strictly on interview prep while beginning your job search. The final two weeks are devoted to the beginning of your job search. You'll learn computer science fundamentals, solve problems on the whiteboard every day, and you'll learn about strategies to help you pass behavioral screens and get your foot in the door. The goal for this part of the course is to give you the tools you'll need to get the job, rather than the tools you'll need to be successful once you're on the job.

Students can expect to be prepared as a professional web developer by contributing to real-world projects or open source, gain a deep understanding of the industry's conventions and best practices, and master the technical skills you need to succeed in the workforce.

Applicants should have basic to intermediate JavaScript syntax, and Rithm School provides everything needed to succeed in the form of free resources, evening meetups and prep courses to get you from being a very beginner to passing our interview! This includes different types of loops, logical conditions, and common Array/String methods such as .split, .join, .includes, .indexOf, etc. While no prior knowledge of algorithms or data structures is required, you should be comfortable with all the essential types within JavaScript including Objects, Arrays, Strings, Numbers, Booleans, and Null/Undefined/Falsy values.

Subjects: MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Bootstrap, Python, React.js, SQL, Algorithms, Express.js, JavaScript, Data Structures

Rithm School Reviews

Overall

4.93/5

5/21/2021
  • Mack Cooper | Software Engineer

"Excellent Bootcamp!"

Rithm is an incredible bootcamp and I had a great experience! The material is very relevant and constantly updating to keep up with the technology trends in the industry. I always felt the work we were doing or the concepts we were learning were highly... Read More

5/13/2021
  • Claire Casey | Software Engineer

"Truly the best!"

I thought after reading so many glowing reviews that Rithm wouldn't live up to the hype, but it really is as incredible as others say! I received an offer at my dream company, The New York Times, 3 weeks after graduating from Rithm, which I truly don't... Read More

5/11/2021
  • Lucas P. | Software Engineer

"Success!!"

My experience at Rithm School was everything I hoped it would be. Due to the small class size I was able to receive multiple code reviews per day. I felt I learned the most during these code reviews. The instructors always took the time to examine our... Read More

1/31/2021
  • Jon Wong | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2020

"A Bootcamp With an Advantage Over the Competition"

If you are looking for a coding bootcamp to attend, I would honestly just stop searching now and choose Rithm School. I was once a prospective bootcamp student and did extensive research on every bootcamp in the San Francisco Bay Area and I ended up choosing... Read More

1/20/2021
  • Will Grover | Software Engineer

"Awesome Learning Experience!"

I really didn't imagine beforehand what a great experience I'd have at Rithm. What to expect (I think a lot of this applies to most Bootcamps): - You won't be made into an expert, or magically transform into an amazing developer in 4 months. - You'll... Read More

1/14/2021
  • Eric | Software Engineer

"People are everything."

In short, Rithm school is the best. Previous reviews already point out why Rithm is a great Bootcamp. So, I would like to emphasize a couple of points that deserve more attention. Incredible instructors and a career coach Elie, Joel, and Tim taught my... Read More

10/16/2020
  • Anonymous | Full Stack Engineer
  • Graduated: 2020

"A close-knit community of strong instructors and thoughtful peers"

Pros: I appreciated that the work felt very real. I know that in certain bootcamps, you're expected to turn in assignments every day. Because of my home situation, there was no way for me to spend hours in the evening working on site (this was at the... Read More

Cons: I can't think of too many. I will say that as with any adult-learning program, in order to take advantage of everything, you have to be proactive. Whether it is asking for help during a lab or lecture, asking your advisor for suggestions, or asking the career coach (Zach) for guidance. I've found that those of us who did these things felt more supported in the long run.

10/8/2020
  • Sarah Brooks | Full Stack Engineer
  • Graduated: 2020

"Brand Strategy Consultant turned Software Engineer"

Before I get into everything else, I'll lead with my overall review, which is that I would highly Rithm to anyone willing to put in the upfront work it takes to prepare for the program. Once you're there, the instructors do everything they can to ensure... Read More

Before Rithm, I spent the first 2.5 years of my professional career in brand strategy consulting. I realized that my favorite part of my job was learning how the companies and products I was branding actually worked, which sparked a renewed interest in engineering and specifically programming. My exposure to coding before the boot camp was fairly minimal - I had taken two mathematical programming courses in college but had no experience with Javascript before taking their free online courses (their curriculum is open source).

When I first started doing research into boot camps, I had narrowed it down to App Academy and Hack Reactor because those are the ones I had heard of. Then a friend told me about Rithm, and it was everything I wanted: smaller class sizes (capped at 18 so you can get to know your cohort well), instructors with industry and teaching experience (i.e., it's not somebody that just graduated the boot camp teaching you), a full-stack curriculum that covered multiple languages (Javascript and Python), a focus on work-life balance to prevent burnout (other boot camps tout their demanding curriculum requiring 80+hour weeks), real-world experience (there's a 3-week internship towards the end with a start up), and job support (the last 2 weeks of the program are dedicated to practicing behavioral and technical interviews). So I decided Rithm was my top choice, though I had read it could be pretty selective since, unlike other boot camps, they do all their filtering upfront. So instead of doing what Hack Reactor does and accepting most people and letting them drop out themselves when they can't keep up with the material, they do a good job of making sure everyone has the same fundamentals down before starting the program.

Originally, I was planning on slowly working through some of their online courses (starting with their Javascript Fundamentals course) and then eventually applying in 6-8 months. I ended up liking their curriculum so much that I decided pretty soon that I wanted to apply much earlier. The first step in the application process is setting up a conversation with the Director of Admissions. She'll direct you to a set of ~50 practice problems and a few courses from their website you should complete before interviewing (the Fundamentals course I mentioned above plus the first three sections of Javascript Intermediate). Once you complete those, you can set up an interview, which will be a whiteboarding style interview (for COVID, this would be a screen share). From there, they'll get back to you within a few days to let you know if you got into this cohort or if there are areas you need to work on before applying again (you can interview up to two more times, but the first time you have to wait 6 weeks, the second time a few months).

So all in all, it took me a little over 3 months to study, work through the problem set, apply, and get into Rithm (was working through this material after work). Once I got in, there were 80-120 hours of additional prep work (a few additional courses plus a few small projects and a personal website). I completed most of this in a two week period after I quit my job before I started the program). I joined their March 2020 cohort, and we had a glorious 2 weeks together in person before the shelter in place order went into effect in SF. I wish we had had more time together, but we all worked together to adapt. It was new for everyone, and the instructors quickly figured out the tech to emulate the in-class experience as much as possible.

The three main differences between the COVID zoom classroom format vs. the in-person format were:
1) When we were in person, there was this room we'd go to for labs in the morning and afternoon and the instructors would do walkthroughs to check in on people as they were working. Once we switched to online, it was harder for them to sense that a pair was struggling since they can't see us in the breakout rooms, but what they started doing was just popping into our zoom breakout rooms to check in and that was helpful.
2) When you're in person, you can also see when other pairs are struggling and can often overhear that they're working through the same issue you are, so you can just join their group for some brainstorming, or at the very least you can commiserate together and know that you're not alone - it's hard material! In the breakout rooms, you can commiserate with your partner, but you're somewhat removed from that environment where you can hear other people struggling. What our cohort had to do to adapt is we had to start being more vulnerable over our slack channel during labs, like "hey, we're really struggling with X - has anybody else been struggling with that too?". And slowly we transitioned to being more communicative over slack to keep up the cohort's sense of community.
3) In person, there were happy hours and game nights every so often where you could hang out with your cohort and other cohorts. We, unfortunately, didn't get to do this before we left, but we started organizing zoom game nights and happy hours on Friday afternoons to try to continue getting to know each other. That ended up creating a good foundation for us to continue supporting one another after graduation - our cohort continued to have a weekly stand up and happy hour where we could check in on one another during the job search.

With all that said, I would highly recommend Rithm School. Everything that I mentioned above about why I chose them in the first place was exactly what I experienced at the boot camp - high-quality instruction from people who have a ton of experience, knowledge, and passion for teaching, getting to learn multiple languages and some of the most relevant frameworks and libraries, internship experience, and job support from the end of the program throughout your job search. They also have technical and job support office hours weekly that you can drop in all throughout your job search (and beyond - people who already have jobs will drop in to ask questions about things that stumped them at work too).

During my internship, I was able to work out a lot of my insecurities and imposter syndrome so that by the time I started my new job, it didn't feel so scary, and I felt relatively comfortable within 2 weeks of starting. I started softly recruiting 2 weeks before graduation and got a job 5 weeks after graduation. I'm really happy at my new job - I'm a Full Stack Engineer at a pet health start up - and I owe much of that to Rithm for preparing me so well.

10/8/2020
  • Anonymous | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2018

"CS Graduates will excel, others will struggle alone"

What started out as a great experience ended very negatively. The program feels more of a master class for experts learning new technologies, and is not very friendly for beginner / intermediate coders looking to become advanced and job ready. Reliance... Read More

Pros:
Curriculum: Curriculum was never out of date and constantly updated even through our cohort. The main instructors were seasoned engineers who had great knowledge to impart on us.

Network: Alumni are working all through the valley and were happy to jump on a call to answer questions and occasionally get graduates an initial interview at their company.

Cons:
Safe-Space: Multiple occasions instructors yelled at a student through closed doors so loud the entire school heard. Playing favorites with CS students / advanced students was common, and those who struggled were often treated as if their questions were stupid and something they should've known before walking away without answering. This became so common, many students stopped asking questions completely. Instructors being unprofessional, cursing, and on an occasion even referring to the cohort as a "sausage fest" was not surprising to be heard.

Teaching: While some lectures were great with great projects, poor lectures were blamed on the class for not understanding. Questions on confusing projects were mocked that you should google and practice researching your problems, while other times you were chastised for wasting time on an obscure problem as it was there to "troll" you and see how long until you asked for help. The mind games were incredibly frustrating, and despite having regular surveys, no changes were made and students by the end of the cohort stopped filling out surveys as we knew our answers would be ignored.

Reduced effort: The first month instructors were constantly code reviewing sometimes multiple times daily, answering questions, and being mentors. The final 2 months the majority of the class would maybe get a code review once a week after chasing down an instructor. The instructors spent more time doing entrance interviews with new students than assisting us. Class ratios bumped from 4:1, up to 12-20 students with the main instructors gone, and the assistant instructor remaining with us. Assistant instructors were not the strongest software engineers and many times students would not ask for help as we would solve the problem before them.

Final Project: A big reason for joining was to work on a real code base for a real company. Advanced students would work on a real code base which would heavily increase their chances for a job. The majority of students worked on student built projects from the previous cohort.

Outdated Job Numbers: A large reason I signed up was because of their claimed stats(still live on their site at time of review) of $120k+ salaries and getting top paying jobs within 3 months. A ton of graduates ended up starting with $60k salaries after 6 months of searching. The numbers published on their website is years old, and the actual numbers are hidden.

Weak Resume / Portfolio: Having a strong portfolio is one of the greatest ways to win an interview, and this is something Rithm does not give you. Interviewers will look up your projects on github and see 100+ other Rithm alumni with nearly identical projects. Expect to do additional projects to beef up your resume once you graduate / during the busy curriculum.

No work/life balance: Be expected to spend an hour before each class, and 2-3 hours after each class studying. (8am-8pm) Weekends the top of the class students would spend 10-12 hours on their assessments, while the majority would spend 15-20 hours.

Summary:
Unless you've worked for years with some form of programming in your job, are a CS student/grad, or are already a decently advanced programmer, you're going to struggle a lot and spend a significant time post graduation studying and applying for jobs for a much lower than advertised salary. If you're not good at teaching yourself/ studying on your own, I recommend looking elsewhere.

12/12/2019
  • Emi Tsukuda
  • Graduated: 2019

"Absolutely changed my life. Rithm school is real"

Before joining Rithm, I was a restaurant manager. I had absolutely zero technical background. Now I am a backend engineer at one of cloud native database company. Rithm school made this switch possible! There are so many bootcamp options but I will tell... Read More

1. Curriculum
Rithm school teach full stack web development. They teach frontend development in Javascript and backend development in Javascript and Python. Which are pretty similar with other bootcamp. However, MAJOR DIFFERENCE is that they teach not only practical knowledge but also fundamental concepts behind the practical knowledge. This makes students to adapt new technologies and language easier and effectively. They also spend quite some time on CS fundamental and data structure which are often neglected by the other bootcamp. It is very possible that you have to do your interview or new job with unfamiliar language and technologies. The combination of practical knowledge and fundamental concepts that Rithm school teach you will definitely help to adapt them much more effectively.

2. Class size
Rithm school cohort is very small. My cohort was only 11 students. And we had 2 instructors and a lab instructor. Bootcamp moves very fast. We were introduced new concepts and technologies every day. This can be overwhelming and hard to catch up if you fall behind. However, thank to the RIthm small class size, we were able to get personal help from instructors and lab instructor one on one. This is very very variable advantage that Rithm school can offer you. You will never be left behind in Rithm school.

3. Instructors
Knowing technologies and languages and teaching them are totally different skill set. Rithm school's instructors are teachers as well as engineers. They are very passionate about teaching and helping students and trained to teach. This makes huge different how much you can learn from their lectures. They really care about students. Time during bootcamp can be stressful, but instructors at Rithm will definitely help you to get through that.

4. Support
Rithm school supports students many ways. They support you on technically and emotionally. Whenever you need support during bootcamp and job search, they are there to help you.

At the end of days, you as student have to put effort and work to learn. But with Rithm school, you can learn everything you need to know in order to start new career as software engineer.

I highly recommend Rithm school.

Rithm School's average rating is 4.93 out of 5.0 based on 40 review(s).