Tech Elevator

Courses: .NET Coding Bootcamp, Java Coding Bootcamp, +-5 more.
Java Coding Bootcamp

Online, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Detroit, Charlotte, +1 more.
Chicago.

About Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a coding bootcamp dedicated to preparing students for a career as a software developer. Prospective students can choose to study Java or .NET and learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The full-time, 14-week bootcamp runs Monday... Read More

Tech Elevator’s instruction is typically delivered both remotely and in person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

In response to recommended COVID-19 health and safety measures, all market-based bootcamps are currently facilitated in a live remote environment.

Tech Elevator is excited to partner with the City of Charlotte to offer Charlotte residents whose careers were affected by COVID-19 and unemployed or underemployed full tuition in our 14 week program. This unique cohort kicks off November 30th and supports Charlotte residents getting back to work with in-demand skills they need for a career in tech.

Next steps for this limited program:

1- Take the Aptitude Test - No coding required! Test your aptitude to become a software developer.
2 - Apply - Select ‘City of Charlotte & Tech Impact Delaware' as your location.

Job Outcomes

Not Employed 12%
Unemployed and still seeking a job 12%
Unemployed and not seeking a job 0%
Non-reporting 0%

This bootcamp uses the CIRR methodology. All CIRR members use a standardized, one-page format. To ensure complete accuracy, CIRR reports account for each enrolled student. You can compare outcomes with other CIRR members side-by-side. Learn more about CIRR.

.NET Coding Bootcamp

• Cost: $15,500 - $15,500
Locations: Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

By the time you graduate, you will be able to create dynamic, database-backed web applications using the Java or .NET platform. This will give you the foundational skills to hit the ground running as a junior web application developer.

Specific technologies you will learn include:

- Introduction to programming in Java or C#
- Serverside programming in Java or .NET
- Database programming in Java or .NET
- Java or .NET frameworks and design patterns
- Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON)

In addition to learning coding skills, you will also develop important career skills through our Pathway Program™ helping to prepare for job interviews and connecting you to hiring companies.

Subjects: C#, CSS, HTML, jQuery, Java, SQL, JavaScript

Java Coding Bootcamp

• Cost: $15,500 - $15,500
Locations: Online, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Chicago

By the time you graduate, you will be able to create dynamic, database-backed web applications using the Java platform. This will give you the foundational skills to hit the ground running as a junior web application developer.

Specific technologies you will learn include:

- Introduction to programming in Java
- Serverside programming in Java
- Database programming in Java
- Java frameworks and design patterns

10/26 start date for Fall 2020

4.9/5

5/27/2020
  • Austin Zani

"Tech Elevator Delivers"

When I chose to come to Tech Elevator to become a Full Stack Developer one of the large draws was the in person instruction. After trying multiple online courses I knew I needed that personal connection with an experienced, knowledgeable developer. I... Read More

5/9/2020
  • Jack Egan | Associate Developer II
  • Graduated: 2020

"Best Decision of my Life!"

I was torn between return to college to finish my computer science degree and attending a bootcamp, and ended up choosing to attend Tech Elevator. From day 1 it was clear that I had made the right choice, the technical portion of the course was top notch... Read More

5/9/2020
  • Stephen Collins | Software Developer

"Best decision"

One of the best decisions I have made. Met a lot of great people and mentors. I felt very prepared when looking for jobs and received a job offer two weeks after graduation. The staff at Tech Elevator really cares about you and will be there for you even... Read More

5/5/2020
  • Katie Oh | Consultant
  • Java Bootcamp - Fall 2020 (CLE, CBUS, CINCY, DET, PGH, PHL) 9/14 - 12/18

"Just do it"

Possibly the best money I spent. I pored over reviews and spent months looking for a coding bootcamp. No regrets, super happy with my decision. Granted, I graduated pre-coronavirus so things may be a little different now, but knowing what I know about... Read More

My profile before Tech Elevator:
* Had some experience with programming (Java in high school, Arduino/Raspberry Pi/Python stuff in college, Android development as a hobby after). Already knew I loved it
* Was a tutor for a couple years, then an assembler
* Bought a Web Development Udemy course, but couldn't focus on it and finish
* Didn't know how to get a programming job, or if I was even qualified
* Thought about getting into software for years, but didn't have an actual plan. Any time I'd start trying to learn something, five new questions would pop up for every answer I'd get

Just a few reasons I love Tech Elevator:
* The instructors are amazing and really care about your learning. Always happy to share their experiences (and they each have tons of experience). Some of them are working on some pretty cool stuff outside of work as well, I'd ask them about it!
* The academic fellows are also graduates of the program, so they know exactly what you're going through. They're also always there to help
* Pathway people are on top of it. I'm pretty sure Katie Detore remembers where every student ended up lol. They meet with you individually, and you can also reach out to them with question or concerns. It's great
* Pathway program does more than show you how to write a resume. There are panels, visitors, employer showcases (companies coming to speak to you), mock interviews, real interviews...
* "Always learning" and "get comfortable with being uncomfortable" are phrases I heard a lot there and they've stuck with me. I'd never been one to do extra work outside of work, but now I see myself seeking out new things to do and learn

Me after Tech Elevator:
* Associate consultant working at one of the many retailers here in Columbus. I can't imagine what my life would be like right now if I hadn't gone through the bootcamp and gotten a job in an industry where working remotely isn't a foreign concept
* Making more money. Thinking of buying a place soon
* Happier with my job
* Not that this field is immune to coronavirus, but I'm not that worried about losing my job. Chances of it happening are relatively low, and even I do, I'm still seeing recruiters reach out.

Advice:
* Especially for those who aren't working or have kids while in the bootcamp, put as much time into this as you can. If you're done with your assignments, work on side projects or learn something else. As confusing as some of the topics may be at first, go to Meetups.

4/29/2020
  • Steven Roy | Software Engineer

"Excellent Program"

I had been trying to break into the programming field for several years by the time I started seriously considering bootcamps. Stagnant office jobs that paid the bills but left me bored were all I could seem to find. I was caught in the old catch-22 of... Read More

But the real ace up TE's sleeve is their Pathway program, which was ultimately the reason I went with them over similar bootcamps (including the one from my alma mater). They focus on the soft-skill portion of job hunting, with a laser focus on the tech industry in particular. Resume crafting, interviewing, social media profile building, and pitching yourself--all things I kind of hate doing, but that are vital to actually landing a job, no matter your technical skills. Val, Marty, and Kelly are some of the most dedicated people I've ever met, always available to help and eager to push their students into improving those sometimes-uncomfortable areas. Not only do they arm you with the skills (and practice!) to sail through interviews, they've built up a wide network of contacts with the northeast Ohio tech community, and use those connections to help you get a foot in the door. Easily the most important factor in choosing TE over others.

Over three quarters of my class including me were placed with jobs before the bootcamp had even ended, and after four months in my new career I'm still having a great time. I'd highly recommend the program to anyone who's looking to get started in programming.

4/25/2020
  • Larry Xiang
  • Graduated: 2020

"Worth moving out to Ohio for"

I did my fair share of research, using mainly this site as well as others. After 14 intense weeks I look back with no regrets and happy that I chose this program. The curriculum itself is designed very well, taking you through programming fundamentals,... Read More

All that being said, the world as it was when I entered the program is fundamentally different from the world as it is when I left the program. I felt they handled the transition to virtual very well, but at the same time a lot of the experience was lost when we could not do in-person immersive anymore. I've found that with added motivation it's completely possible to learn and work your way to being a software engineer just in your room. Hopefully we will be in-classroom during the Fall, but if I had to give some advice for those considering an online bootcamp, I would say that while I feel Tech Elevator is top of the class, you can learn and succeed anywhere given your motivation and confidence. Even in this new world coding is likely to be an important and necessary skill. I'm convinced that if it wasn't for the pandemic I would have a job right now (just a week out from graduation). I really enjoyed the whole experience and made some good friends too! Despite the last 5 weeks going virtual I'm still sending a 5/5 for the school that I'm grateful and proud to be an alum of.

4/21/2020
  • Rob Anderson

"Take the Leap!"

I was afraid of leaving my secure lifestyle to make an all out change but I'm glad I did! They give you all the training you need to start out at any tech company. So far I'm three months into my current job and I don't feel like I've been struggling... Read More

It's a lot to deal with, quitting your job and fully immersing yourself in the program for 3 months but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. You'll hear from almost everyone that's gone through it that it's totally worth it. So if you're thinking about making the switch and you're on the fence about it, hopefully all these reviews and success stories push you in the right direction.

3/27/2020
  • Juny Santeliz
  • Graduated: 2019

"Would ABSOLUTELY do again with even less doubt"

I cannot do a deep and honest comparison against Tech Elevator and other coding bootcamps because I didn't attend other bootcamps. However, what I can say is that prior to attending Tech Elevator in Columbus, Ohio I was living in North Carolina and had... Read More

But like I said, I already had a ton of stats on grad schools, and some call it providence, others serendipity however one day I ran across a coding bootcamp ad. I checked it out and was highly impressed by the placement rates. They were higher than the average placement rates of grad schools. I then began a rigorous study of all the best coding bootcamps, in person and on line, and settled on 4. Tech Elevator was one of the four. That was in April of 2019. And now here I am today, less than a year later (I wouldn't even be HALF WAY done with a masters program by now if I had gone that route) full fledged, full stack software engineer at JP Morgan in their Asset and Wealth Management Division. Indeed contributing code and making a difference.

You may be thinking, "Oh well you were a college graduate of course you'd be successful." Do not be so quick to judge. My family came to America when I was 5 from Nicaragua. As a consequence I didn't speak English and had learning difficulties. I failed Kindergarten and had to take ESL throughout elementary school. Eventually I would drop out of high school after the 10th grade. But obviously I eventually got my GED and realized education was the way of the future. I only mentioned this to show I'm not particularly bright or intelligent, I just put in the effort. And that's all you need to be successful here. Effort is free.

Give Tech Elevator a thorough, thoughtful and careful review. Their instructors, Steve, Andrew, John and Brian are incredible people and equally incredible teachers. They will challenge you, push you, and set you up for success. And Tech Elevator provides, bar none, the best recruitment ecosystem and team to support you.

3/25/2020
  • Katherine Kimes

"Absolutely Worth It"

Attending Tech Elevator was the best career choice I ever made. I had been an attorney for about 5 years, and was feeling stagnant and dissatisfied. I became interested in software development through some friends, and started doing basic coding tutorials... Read More

3/7/2020
  • Kyle Thomas
  • Graduated: 2019

"The Best Investment You Could Make"

Short Version
Attending Tech Elevator is the best decision I could have made for my career, and it could be yours too! Read my long version below for more details, and feel free to reach out on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/kyledthomas/ if you... Read More

Long Version
Attending the Tech Elevator Coding Bootcamp was the best investment of time and money I have made for my career. Because of this program, I was able to transition to a career that allows me to challenge myself, continually learn new skills and technologies, and work with some of the most intelligent and hard-working people I have ever met. I wake up genuinely excited every day to go to work and build software that makes a difference in people’s lives. I could not have gotten to this point without Tech Elevator. What makes this bootcamp so unique is what I think of as the “3 Ps”: Process, Preparation, and People.

Process
Over the course of 14 weeks, I learned more than I thought was possible in such a brief time frame. You don’t need to walk in with much experience in programming, but some exposure does help due to the fast pace of the curriculum.

We started off by learning the basics of programming (“if else” statements, loops, object-oriented programming, file reading/writing, etc.) in .NET/C#. Next, we moved on to data security and relational database development and querying using SQL. After that, we started learning about client-side programming, covering topics such as HTML, CSS, MVC, and networks (servers, hosting, and requests and responses). The last module focused on JavaScript, the Vue.js front-end framework, and APIs.

Tech Elevator has chosen relevant technologies based on input from local employers to ensure they are up-to-date with what companies are actually using for their software development. While graduates may not end up working in the exact same technology stack that the curriculum teaches, the program does an excellent job of teaching students to teach themselves new technologies that they may use after they start their jobs.

In general, the days tend to follow a similar pattern. A morning lecture starts off with a brief review of what was learned the day before and and the instructor answers any questions the students have, followed by a short online quiz to make sure everyone understands the main concepts of the previous day’s lecture. The instructor views the results immediately, and takes a few minutes to reinforce any concepts that the class may have struggled with on the quiz. After review is over, the instructor launches into the next topic. After teaching new information, the instructor will typically walk through a code example of what was just taught and encourage students to code along to reinforce their learning.

After lecture ends, most students will take a lunch break, then get started on their assignments if there is not a Pathway event scheduled that afternoon (more on the Pathway program in the next section). Most days, there is at least one individual or pair-programming assignment (sometimes both). Some students are able to finish assignments within an hour or two, and some take longer. You are welcome to stay on campus for as long as you like, but everyone in my class was usually done and headed home by 5:00 PM.

At the end of each of the first three modules, students complete a mini-capstone project with a partner over the course of several days. During mini-capstone project days, there are no lectures so that students are free to spend their entire days working on the assignment. Teams are given a list of “user stories” (actions that the end user of the software should be able to perform), and then are turned loose to use all they have learned so far to complete their objectives.

These were the times when I experienced the most technical growth during the program because while the daily assignments are fairly specific in how to solve a problem, capstones leave the planning up to the student, forcing them to think through how they will implement all the functions before they start to write the code. In addition, each team sits down with their instructor after completing each capstone for a code review, in which instructors will ask students to justify programming decisions, provide constructive feedback, and discuss what the students did well.

It can seem overwhelming to think about the sheer volume of information that is yet to be covered while in the beginning or middle of the curriculum. My best advice is to take the program one day at a time and trust the process. It works.

Preparation
While I think that Tech Elevator does an exceptional job of teaching students the technical skills they need to secure jobs in development, teaching programming is a minimum requirement for any coding bootcamp. Where Tech Elevator really begins to elevate itself above the competition is in its resources for career preparation. Through workshops, individual mentoring, and networking opportunities, this program excels at preparing students for the job market.

Each Tech Elevator campus has Pathway Directors, full-time staff members who are dedicated to preparing students for the job market. They lead workshops on resume writing and refining, interviewing, networking, comparing different types of work environments (like a startup vs. a large enterprise corporation), different types of work arrangements (like permanent employment at a company vs. working as a contractor), salary negotiation, and job application strategies, among other areas. They also sit down with each student individually several times throughout the cohort to advise them on resume edits, companies to apply to based on students’ interests, and anything else that will help students succeed in the job search.

Pathway Directors bring in community members to assist with career preparation as well. The staff organizes panels of volunteers to share experiences and advice. Just a few of the panels that were the most impactful to me consisted of Tech Elevator alumni sharing their perspective on working after graduating from a bootcamp, senior developers sharing their experiences on how they were able to advance in their careers, and HR professionals sharing tips on how to best navigate relationships with recruiters. Pathway Directors also plan Employer Showcases, in which local employers will present information about working at their companies and answer students’ questions.

Interviewing can be a daunting step in the application process, and Pathway Directors ensure the students are prepared by requiring students to complete several rounds of mock interviews. Community recruiters conduct mock interviews that simulate first-round general HR interviews and behavioral-based interviews. Instructors and volunteer developers in the community conduct mock technical interviews that consists of both answering technical questions and white-boarding solutions. Every cohort has a large Matchmaking Event, in which employers come to Tech Elevator so each student has the opportunity to have a first-round interview with seven or eight companies over the course of two days. Matchmaking is the pinnacle of the Pathway Program, and was one of the most exciting events of the cohort.

When students begin to receive job offers, Pathway Directors are there to help navigate job offers and give negotiation advice. If students are having a hard time securing an offer, the staff does a great job of encouraging them to keep trying, no matter how hard it gets. While other bootcamps might end their career preparation services after the program ends, Tech Elevator takes pride in working with every student until they land a job. The staff even helps out with alumni who need advice on advancing to more senior jobs long after they have graduated from Tech Elevator.

I felt extremely well-prepared to begin working in development after Tech Elevator thanks to the strong curriculum. However, it was the Pathway Program that helped me to land my first development role. The knowledge I gathered from the panels and workshops helped me to know where to focus my application efforts and how to tailor my applications to those employers, and the mock interviews gave me the confidence to excel in my interviews.

People
Tech Elevator has a fantastic curriculum, and the Pathway Program really begins to differentiate it from other bootcamps. However, the people are what distinguish Tech Elevator as a superior bootcamp – specifically, the staff. Completing this program will introduce you to some of the most caring people you have ever met.

Between the time I applied and when I started, the admissions coordinators were my main points of contact. They were extremely helpful and patient with me every step of the way through the admissions process, even when I was taking up a lot of their time with questions.

I already explained a lot of what the Pathway Directors do in the previous section, but Tech Elevator really does an incredible job of choosing them based on their passion for helping students to develop their soft skills and their ability to communicate. Many of them are former recruiters or HR professionals, so their perspective is invaluable to students.

The Tech Elevator instructors are the staff who interact most frequently with the students, and definitely had the biggest impact on me. All the instructors are very experienced senior developers who have spent years honing their programming and communication skills. They all could be working incredibly high-paying senior developer jobs, but they choose to spend their hours helping people transition into junior developer roles. Andrew Frank is a wealth of knowledge, and was always our favorite to go to with individual questions because of his awesome communication skills. I count John Fulton among the teachers whom have impacted me most in life, which is telling since he knew me for the shortest amount of time of all the teachers I’ve ever had. The passion he has for teaching is unparalleled. I would recommend the .NET/C# path simply to develop a relationship with him.

All the staff are incredible, and the Campus Director Katie Detore is the glue who holds it all together. She works tirelessly to keep the campus running, grow the network of community partners, and develop a relationship with each and every student in every cohort. She is always trying to think of ways to improve the Tech Elevator experience, and consistently meets with students to solicit their feedback. Without her, things would not operate as seamlessly as they do.

Tech Elevator does a great job of teaching programming and preparing students for interviews, but I know that the relationships with the staff members will last me for my entire career.

Conclusion
If you have made it to the end of this review, you can see how passionate I am about my experience at Tech Elevator. I would not be the person I am today if it wasn’t attending this bootcamp. If you are thinking about this program but aren’t quite sure if it’s a smart decision because of the time and financial commitment, I hope this review alleviates your hesitation. If you would like to ask me any additional questions, please feel free to reach out on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/kyledthomas/

Tech Elevator's average rating is 4.9 out of 5.0 based on 168 review(s).