Tech Elevator

Courses: .NET Coding Bootcamp, Java Coding Bootcamp

Online, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Dallas, Detroit, +2 more.
Charlotte, Chicago.

About Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a coding bootcamp dedicated to preparing students for a career as a software developer. Prospective students can choose to study Java or .NET and learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The full-time, 14-week bootcamp runs Monday... Read More

Tech Elevator’s instruction is typically delivered both remotely and in person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Dallas, Detroit, and Chicago. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

In response to recommended COVID-19 health and safety measures, all market-based bootcamps are currently facilitated in a live remote environment.

Job Outcomes

Not Employed 12%
Unemployed and still seeking a job 12%
Unemployed and not seeking a job 0%
Non-reporting 0%

This bootcamp uses the CIRR methodology. All CIRR members use a standardized, one-page format. To ensure complete accuracy, CIRR reports account for each enrolled student. You can compare outcomes with other CIRR members side-by-side. Learn more about CIRR.

.NET Coding Bootcamp

• Cost: $15,500
Locations: Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh

By the time you graduate, you will be able to create dynamic, database-backed web applications using the .NET platform. This will give you the foundational skills to hit the ground running as a junior web application developer.

Specific technologies you will learn include:
- Introduction to programming in Java or C#
- Server-side programming in Java or .NET
- Database programming in Java or .NET
- Java or .NET frameworks and design patterns
- Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON)

In addition to learning coding skills, you will also develop important career skills through our Pathway Program™ helping to prepare you for job interviews and connecting you to hiring companies.

5/10 start date for Summer 2021
9/13 start date for Fall 2021

Subjects: C#, CSS, HTML, jQuery, SQL, JavaScript

Java Coding Bootcamp

• Cost: $15,500
Locations: Online, Philadelphia, Dallas, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Chicago

By the time you graduate, you will be able to create dynamic, database-backed web applications using the Java platform. This will give you the foundational skills to hit the ground running as a junior web application developer.

Specific technologies you will learn include:

- Introduction to programming in Java
- Serverside programming in Java
- Database programming in Java
- Java frameworks and design patterns

3/1 start date for Online Spring 2021

4.91/5

10/12/2020
  • Karim Eldessouky | Software Engineer

"Worth Every Penny"

When I was getting ready to register I was reading reviews here and thinking: "This sounds too good to be true". Boy was I wrong! Tech Elevator deserves this great reputation. Everyone that works at this bootcamp is thoughtful, passionate, knowledgeable... Read More

First: The Pathway program was helping me improve my resume, online footprint, practice interviewing as well as the Pathway directors helping find us opportunities and bringing in wonderful companies that wanted to hire us! Vinny, Ben and Katie are the kind of people you need in your corner! They're constantly looking for new opportunities for us, even after the bootcamp is over. They're always there to help or offer advice. Sometimes even after hours! and They will be looking out for you from day 1! Pathway is underrated.

Second: My instructor Steve Carmichael, is probably the best instructor I could ask for!! his teaching style was thoughtful, fun, engaging and We all found ourselves looking forward to lecture every day! Steve would always make time for me when I had more questions. He also brings a wealth of experience in the field that he so generously shared with us. I came out of this bootcamp knowing how to code. But more importantly, due to his wisdom and experience, We all left the class knowing how to continue to grow in our careers and how to continue to excel even in our first, second and third roles. This type of mentorship and wisdom is an unexpected bonus that is priceless for anyone who wants to excel! Steve is a treasure!

Third: Other instructors like Matt, Brian, John, Margaret, Rachelle and Matty were always willing to help! Even if you're not in their class, they were there for you to help you get unstuck, practice technical interviews and make sure you feel confident and prepared!

It is obvious that Tech Elevator focuses on hiring great people. I'm happy to report that Tech Elevator also focuses on admitting great people into the program! I left the bootcamp with a huge network of talented, passionate, inspiring and dedicated peers. We worked long nights together, helped each other understand difficult concepts and became friends along the way!

If you're reading this, please understand that you will have to work hard. However, if you are willing to do the work, this team will help you succeed. Keep in mind this all happened during COVID-19 and the odds were stacked against us. This program was worth every penny.

9/29/2020
  • Eric Brian Woods | IT and Database Coordinator

"Great School"

I had worked in IT for nearly 20 years as a Network Engineer before deciding I needed a career change. It was certainly a difficult course, but I gained experience to jump start me into my new career. I learned a lot from Katie Dwyer, my teacher. I impressed... Read More

9/21/2020
  • Derek Leach | Junior Release Engineer

"Unbeatable Value!!!"

I, like many others, tried to do the "teach yourself coding" path. I took numerous online classes and read books on the hottest technologies, and even with a college degree and 10 years of engineering work experience, I got ZERO traction when it came... Read More

YOU WILL NOT REGRET GOING TO TECH ELEVATOR PITTSBURGH!

9/18/2020
  • Nathaniel C Gero | Software Developer Associate
  • Graduated: 2020

"From welder to Software Developer in 14 weeks"

When I decided I was ready to make a career move the list of boot camps for coding was a long one. Tech Elevator quickly rose to the top of that list based on their proven track record. Coming from a blue collar job working as a welder I was apprehensive... Read More

Regarding the coursework, it was nothing short of phenomenal. Tech Elevator's team of instructors, tutors and mentors are all top notch. They throw a lot at you, and it comes fast, but they also provide the support to help you succeed. The coding portion of their curriculum is rigorous and challenging. It is also highly effective. I went from almost no coding experience to being able to write my first basic program in a matter of weeks. By the end of the cohort I was participating in full stack development of web applications comfortably.

The career prep portion of the cohort was hardly an aside. It was one of the main attractions for me to Tech Elevator. I learned how to effectively sell myself to potential employers. How to build a professional network of peers and mentors. In depth training and practice for both behavioral and technical interviews. These are just a few highlights from that part of the program that did so much to prepare me to actually land a job upon graduation.

Tldr: - Came in with no experience in software development
- Had an exceptional learning and professional development experience led by a team of wonderful people
- Within a month of graduating I have landed my first job as a Software Developer with a reputable company
- 100% recommend Tech Elevator to anyone looking to break into tech

8/27/2020
  • Zachary Lace Williamson | RPA Automator

"Well Worth It!"

You can't put a price on bettering yourself... but if you have to: It's whatever amount Tech Elevator is charging for tuition. Taking control of my future through TE was well worth the time and money. It was the best decision I could have made.

I specifically... Read More

8/25/2020
  • Zeb Larson | Software Development Engineer in Test
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

"Life Changing"

Tech Elevator is worth every penny. I came to this with a very unusual background (I was a university lecturer and a freelance writer) and was worried that I wouldn't be cut out for it because I'd been away from math for so long. I couldn't have been... Read More

8/19/2020
  • Charlie Peterson | Software Engineer
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp
  • Graduated: 2020

"By far the best decision I have ever made."

Throughout this course, I learned everything I would need to know for a role in software development. The program gave me the technical skills to be able to confidently take on a role with an employer, as well as the networking skills to branch out and... Read More

8/14/2020
  • Christopher Wells
  • Java Bootcamp - Summer 2020 (CLE, CBUS, CINCY, DET, PGH, PHL) 5/11 - 8/14
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great Course, helpful instructors"

I came to tech elevator to immerse myself in coding, over the 14 week program I honestly can say that I feel confident in what I've learned from my Instructors and the success that the Pathway Directors have set me up for in my job placement. I would... Read More

8/13/2020
  • .NET Bootcamp - Summer 2020 (CLE, CBUS, CINCY, DET, PGH) 5/11 - 8/14

"Life-changing!"

Tech Elevator is an awesome program! They fit a whole lot in to 14 weeks but are there with you every step of the way to make sure you succeed. The teachers are great and I feel like they have done quite a good job transitioning to online-only learning... Read More

8/11/2020
  • Alyssa Hernandez | Software Engineer
  • Java Bootcamp - Spring 2020 (PHL) 1/27 - 5/1
  • Graduated: 2020

"Best Decision I've Ever Made"

Career Differences
Yes, going to Tech Elevator is absolutely one of the best things you can do for your career. A year ago I moved to Philly and I was applying for writing jobs with salaries around $30-45k. Most were closer to $30k, similar to the $28k... Read More

The People
Some of my best friends were made at Tech Elevator, starting from week one. Throughout the program, there are many pair programming assignments, and you always work with someone new, so it's easy to get to know everyone. With assignments that can take hours and capstone projects that take days, you really become close friends with people. I know things are virtual right now, but the in-person campus was my favorite thing. There were so many nights where I went on a mini-lockdown with friends, staying up very late trying to finish assignments, playing games, enjoying food the staff would bring in for us, etc. My cohort did things like going out to lunch, grabbing drinks, going to karaoke, going to a museum, playing games together, etc etc etc. As for the staff - they were absolutely wonderful. The instructors were extremely accessible, especially when we went virtual halfway through the program. They both had a lot of experience in the field and were such great teachers overall. I gathered other students for a group project (highly recommend doing a group project if you want to stand out to employers!) and they spent hours and hours helping us with it, even though it was completely outside of the curriculum.

The Career / Pathway Program
One of the reasons I chose TE over other bootcamps was how impressive the career services were in the reviews and statistics I read. Other bootcamps in Philly mentioned career prep help, but I can't imagine it was anything even close to what TE offers, especially after reading reviews on Reddit about Philly bootcamps. Imagine having someone push you for 2-3 days out of every week to get yourself together and prepare for a job, starting from day one. I remember thinking, "Why are we starting so early? We have nothing to prepare with??" Yeah, it was necessary to start that early. The coursework picks up so quickly and 14 weeks seems like a lot of time to prepare for a job, but you need that long if you want to prepare the right way. I remember giving my first elevator pitch for an employer visit or talk and my social anxiety was the worst. I almost forgot my name. The idea of matchmaking later on in the program--meeting a handful of employers in only two days--was terrifying, but when it came time for that, I felt really prepared and confident in my abilities and hey, it worked! Those rounds of mock behavioral and tech interviews, the resume reviews, the elevator pitch practice sessions, the employer advice events--I mean, we had everything we needed to succeed. Even with those, Caitie, the pathway director, was absolutely one of the biggest reasons I was able to land a job within a week of graduation. She makes sure you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, and that you're doing it right. She's obviously an expert in what she does, and I knew when I met her for my Tech Elevator interview that she is truly in this position because it makes her happy. I still keep in touch with her occasionally :) Despite the economy completely crashing and most employers closing their hiring doors, at Tech Elevator... it almost seemed to not make a difference. Some employers backed out of matchmaking, yet most (all? I haven't checked in with other students lately...) found jobs fairly quickly, most through the companies we met through the program.

Coursework
I'm still wondering how I was able to learn so much, so quickly, AND be qualified for a software engineer position with only 14 weeks' worth of experience. A lot of my computer science friends from college who graduated around the same time as the bootcamp ended are still searching for jobs, and they have years of experience over me. In talking to my coworkers, it seems like the ability to learn so quickly is more attractive in a candidate than how much you know. Of course, you still have to put in the work to show them how much you can learn in a short time. The first few weeks were spent learning basic programming principles and intro to java stuff--the need-to-know material. Seriously though, make sure you're reviewing these basic concepts every week because you there's a 100% chance they will come up in an interview. We moved on to some database stuff, which was pretty interesting and necessary to learn if you move to a full-stack position. After that, we moved onto servers and web stuff. Ah, the good stuff. My one critique, now that I'm out and about in the real world, is that what we learned at the time was fairly outdated compared to working applications. It was a weird transition going from Spring MVC to regular Spring Boot. The course also teaches Vue.js, which I also learned isn't as popular. I don't think I saw it in more than one job posting. Despite learning tools that weren't directly applicable to a lot of jobs, I still learned the fundamentals of how databases and web frameworks work. Plus, interviewers were genuinely interested in hearing about technologies they've never used, which contributed to a nice conversation. Regardless, as I mentioned, what's more important is that you're able to learn the given material and apply it, because that's what's going to happen on the job anyway.

Going Remote for Covid-19
Honestly, going remote was a very smooth transition. The first few days were kind of weird to adjust to, but that was mostly because it was so sudden. I think it was a Sunday afternoon when I got an email that said we're going remote the following day? IIRC the staff found out pretty last minute too, but even with that, I really enjoyed virtual classrooms. It was much easier to pair program when you're screen sharing, and it's easier to work together from home/remotely when you don't have to worry about catching a trolley or train on time etc. The difference in learning environments was mainly that our instructor had to screen share instead of writing on a whiteboard, but the quality of teaching/learning didn’t change.

Compared to Other Philly Bootcamps
I didn't look too heavily into other bootcamps--maybe three or four--but I noticed many of them aggressively try to sell you into their program. They seemed to care more about making money off of their students, rather than educating them. With Tech Elevator, they only accept students who they think will do well in the program. They want to make sure you have what it takes. After comparing curriculums between a few local bootcamps with the help of my friends who are software engineers, Tech Elevator definitely outranks the others in that realm. I will note that Tech Elevator did not once reach out to me by phone or email with promotional material, unlike the daily phone calls and emails I received from other bootcamps. Anyway, it's clear Tech Elevator doesn't have to have a sales department to push people to apply and spend thousands of dollars. Students don't need to be pushed to apply to Tech Elevator; it's the clear choice.

Conclusion
If you like coding, and want to do what you love for a living, then do this. The curriculum gives you the knowledge you need to impress employers on your skills, but the Pathway Program is designed to help you tackle your individual professional weaknesses and highlight your strengths. If you put in the work, you will succeed.

Tech Elevator's average rating is 4.91 out of 5.0 based on 182 review(s).