Fullstack Academy

Online, NYC, Chicago, San Luis Obispo, +4 more.
Los Angeles, Baton Rouge, Jacksonville, San Diego
Best Bootcamp

Ranked 2022 Best Bootcamp

About Fullstack Academy

Location: Online, NYC, Chicago, San Luis Obispo, Los Angeles, Baton Rouge, Jacksonville, San Diego

Fullstack Academy is an immersive web development bootcamp with campuses in New York City, Chicago, and online.

Fullstack teaches an advanced, relevant curriculum that is constantly updated based on current tech trends. The course is focused on JavaScript-oriented... Read More

During the program, students will learn fundamentals, fullstack web development, best practices and tools, and the developer culture. Students will become comfortable and efficient using technologies that include JavaScript, HTML5, CSS3, Node.js, React, PostgreSQL, and Git. Students will also be exposed to industry practices including test-driven development and pair programming. They are also encouraged to expand their education with Fullstack’s CTO lecture series, which provides training for tech leadership and career development.

In addition to the full-time, 13-week program, it offers various courses to fit students’ needs, including a bootcamp prep course designed to help students pass rigorous bootcamp admissions (students can choose between month- and week-long courses), and a 26-week Flex immersive course that offers an opportunity to complete the rigorous Fullstack Immersive program over a six-month period while maintaining a full-time job.

Fullstack’s Bootcamp Prep will help prepare you for admissions into our prestigious flagship Software Engineering Immersive, Remote Immersive, and Flex Immersive programs. This rigorous course will also prepare you for admissions into other highly-ranked coding bootcamps. You’ll learn more than just the fundamentals of programming, you’ll learn how to solve real-world coding problems using the JavaScript language.

University of San Diego Cyber Bootcamp (Part-Time)

Cost: $12,495
Duration: 26 weeks
Locations: San Diego
In-person Only

Powered by Fullstack Academy, the University of San Diego Cyber Bootcamp is built to take students from cybersecurity novice to in-demand cybersecurity professional in just 26 weeks of part-time study. Located on USD’s campus in San Diego, this beginner-friendly program covers the most important techniques, tactics and tools for a lucrative cybersecurity career including networking essentials, Linux & Python, Command Line Input (CLI), pen testing methodology, vulnerability discovery, threat modelling, and preventing recon.

The immersive is powered by Fullstack Academy, one of the longest-running and most successful coding bootcamps in the nation. Its graduates are equipped to succeed in the professional world through Fullstack’s foundational teaching method which allows students to thrive in their first job and every job after. Bootcamp grads also gain the assistance of Fullstack’s dedicated career services team and leave as members of the USD-Fullstack community— a supportive alumni network that can help open doors to future career opportunities.

Web Development Fellowship at Fullstack Academy

Cost: Free
Duration: 24 weeks
Locations: NYC
In-person Only

In partnership with the NYC Tech Talent Pipeline, the NYC Web Development Fellowship will award eligible NYC residents tuition-free admission to Fullstack’s award-winning Software Engineering program. This curriculum has been proven successful—Fullstack graduates are now working at companies like Google, Venmo, Facebook, Amazon, and LinkedIn, as well as hundreds of innovative small- and mid-size tech companies. Learn more about the fellowship as well as eligibility requirements on the Fullstack website: https://www.fullstackacademy.com/nyc-fellowship

Subjects:

Alex Baden
Software Engineer at PaintZen | Graduated: 2014

10/7/2014

Overall

"Couldn't reccommend it more"

I recently graduated from Fullstack as part of the Spring 2014 class.

During my coding bootcamp search, my main goals were to become extremely proficient in programming, learn from great mentors, and land a great job once I was done. I'll assess my experience... Read More

Coding
Thanks to Fullstack, I can now have an intelligent conversation about the pros and cons of SQL vs. NoSQL databases, explain what $watch and $digest are in AngularJS, build apps from scratch, and show you how to do three-way data binding with AngularJS and Firebase. I have a Github repo full of code that I can explain, projects that I can show employers during interviews, and a 100% success rate on interview questions related to JavaScript (so far, I'm sure my luck will run out soon...). I definitely felt like I got my money's worth here.

Mentors
David and Nimit, the co-founders, have pretty impressive backgrounds, which include a Wharton degree, co-founding a company with a successful exit, and tons of early-stage start-up experience. I didn't just want to learn from someone who was good at teaching, I also wanted to learn from someone who has been in and understands the startup world. They did -- they made the coding real by peppering in stories about how things were done at Gilt, Bloomspot, Yahoo! etc. When I wanted advice about a potential job offer a few days after Fullstack, I wrote the details in an e-mail and David called me within 2 minutes. I wasn't even a student anymore.

Job Prospects
In the two weeks after I graduated, I had conversations with 8 different companies (2 based on personal referrals). It's clear that the market is very hot for developers in NYC right now. I ended up accepting a role as a software engineer 1.5 weeks out of Fullstack. I wouldn't expect to receive an offer so quickly out of school. I think my previous startup experience helped during the interview process, but my other classmates found jobs shortly thereafter.

Learnings while at Fullstack Academy (highlights):
How to implement responsive design
Manually re-created Bootstrap using SASS
Building custom directives in AngularJS
AngularJS concepts - $scope, $watch, $digest
Defining models and writing SQL queries with BookshelfJS
Defining models and writing MongoDB queries with Mongoose
What middleware is & how to implement it
Web requests
Routing
How to build Node apps with Express
AJAX
Authentication
much much more...

Advice to those who will be attending Fullstack Academy (or other bootcamps):
- Preparation matters. The people who took the pre-work seriously had a much easier and less frustrating time.
- Intensity. While Fullstack was intense, it was no more intense than my previous experiences working at startups. If you're used to an environment like this, you'll be fine. If you're not (probably most people), you'll also be fine. Just relax and realize everyone else feels the same way.
- Projects. Choose projects that feel "magical". Tip: The easiest way is to make things appear on the screen in real-time using webSockets.
- Take breaks. If you try to take your brain on a 5-hour non-stop coding binge, it won't come along with you. Take breaks every 30 minutes or you'll burn out. Use the pomodoro technique.
- Get your money's worth. Don't go out on a Thursday night and be too hung over to go to class on Friday. What a waste of your own money. Calculate the hourly cost of Fullstack to you (include opportunity cost for lost wages), and think about that whenever you are feeling lazy.

Waine

10/6/2014

"Highly Recommended."

Prior to attending FullStack, I spent over a year and a half learning web development independently through the usual suspects of free and paid online channels. However, despite all the invested time, I still felt woefully unprepared to move beyond 'hobbyist'... Read More

It's a big investment of time and money, but well worth it -- in saved opportunity cost (of not having to learn concepts in isolation), high quality of instruction (the lead instructors are fantastic!), and network of other students. I came into the school with a decent amount of prior experience compared to some of the other students, and still felt that I couldn't learn enough. You learn things that there is no way you could learn on your own -- the latest technologies, deployment, working with other developers in a simulated production environment. Plus, you have a whole classroom of potential hackathon partners! You basically learn how to learn, and once you have a solid foundation of web development principles, you're on the path after graduation to continue to learn on your own and find a job, which many of my fellow students did quite quickly post-graduation.

I highly recommend FullStack (and learning to code in general!) to anyone -- it will pay off in spades in any field you are currently in or decide to enter in the future.

10/3/2014

"Awesome Experience Overall"

I attended Fullstack in the beginning of 2014, and after my experience, I truly believe that Fullstack Academy is the fastest and most effective way to learn to code today. Your learning is accelerated by great teaching/teachers, but also by a great program... Read More

And besides the technical stuff, I had a blast for almost the entire three months, including making connections with really smart people that will definitely serve me well throughout much of my lifetime.

10/1/2014

Overall

"Great Experience at Fullstack!"

I chose Fullstack because it was evident that David and Nimit were very knowledgable and passionate about their teaching and their students. Additionally they are great guys and have highly reputable backgrounds in the software industry and entrepreneurship.... Read More

The first six weeks are spent learning the fundamentals of programming through interactive and challenging learning modules. During the final six weeks we built a personal and a group project which was a lot of fun. The environment that Fullstack provides is great for building that cool project you've always wanted to code up. With the momentum from the learning phase and the instructors, who are there to provide advice and support when you get stuck you can really do something cool. I was definitely surprised and impressed by what my group and the others were able to create for our group projects.

You can learn a lot at Fullstack but the most important thing to remember is that the more effort you put into learning the more you will get out of the course. Attending was a great decision and one of the best learning and overall experiences I've ever had. If you are looking to attend a bootcamp and you want to get a lot of knowledge and value out the program, seriously consider Fullstack Academy.

9/29/2014

Overall

I found the world of code bootcamps enticing and suspect with their promise of "12 weeks from amateur to pro." Given that they all pretty much make this claim alongside the assurance you'll be learning the latest in web development, some research was... Read More

My three criteria in finding the best fit were:

1. The curriculum truly had to be of the moment. This meant learning the MEAN stack.
2. The pace and scope had to be geared towards someone that's more than a beginner.
3. The people running the place had to be great teachers, not just great developers.

After reading numerous reviews, reaching out to alumni, and speaking with school reps, Fullstack became the clear choice. The knowledge, connections, and opportunities I've gained from the experience well exceeded my expectations, but it's a get-what-you-give situation. If you put in the time/effort to master the material, David, Nimit, and the rest of the team are more than supportive.

In short, Fullstack was one of the best professional decisions I've ever made. I think anyone considering a code bootcamp ought to give them a serious look.

Eddie Ng
Software Engineer at Noom | Graduated: 2014

9/28/2014

Overall

"An amazing experience and I miss it!"

I’m confident that everyone who attended Fullstack Academy has mostly good things to say about it. In fact, most of them would probably claim that it was the “best decision of their life.” It may seem like hyperbole, but personally, it was one of the... Read More

You’ll find more details on the program layout from the other reviews so I’ll continue with my overall review and thoughts.

In terms of cost and time invested, Fullstack Academy was one of the most rewarding professional experiences of my life. I learned and did more in those 13 weeks than in any other 13 week period.
- The class size is kept small (around 20 students) so enough attention is given to everyone.
- David and Nimit are amazing instructors, mentors, and engineers. They’re extremely passionate about teaching and helping you succeed too.
- The TAs are all super smart, knowledgable, and helpful.
- The curriculum is well-thought-out and designed. It has a focus on the JavaScript (MEAN) stack so there’s less language context-switching (as opposed to other bootcamps that use say Rails). This way you can become extremely proficient with one language yet also focus on fundamentals and concepts. It was awesome to see how far everyone in the class had progressed by the end of the program.
- Projects are super fun and you’re pretty much free to do whatever you want, with any language, libraries, frameworks, technologies, etc. I made a Wafels & Dinges locator, a chat-roulette battle Tetris game, and a prototype mobile app for a company (which my team and I got paid for). I also participated in and won my first hackathon with two other classmates.

You’ll learn how to learn but you should be a perpetual learner -- the journey has only just begun by the time you graduate. If you put in the effort, David, Nimit and the rest of the staff will do everything they can to help you succeed. You’ll make new friends and professional connections. You’ll gain confidence in your abilities as a software engineer.

Oh yeah, like me and most of my classmates, you’ll probably land some cool job opportunities too.

Andrew Scheuermann
Software Engineer at Zenefits | Graduated: 2014

9/28/2014

Overall

"Helped me land a dream job as an engineer!"

I really enjoyed my time at Fullstack Academy. It gave me the skillset and confidence to land a dream job at a growing startup! Here are my pro’s and con’s of my time at Fullstack.

Pros:
• David and Nimit are both amazing teachers. Their teaching styles... Read More

Cons:
• In my cohort we had one guest lecturer for a few days who was very knowledgeable but not a good teacher.
• Fullstack Academy is a newer school so their brand is limited, however those who have heard of it are usually very impressed.

Advice to Management:
• Be careful to maintain the integrity of the program as you grow: this’ll be hard but you can do it!
• Make sure that guest lecturers are knowledgeable and good teacher.

Adam Barcan

9/26/2014

Overall

"Incredibly demanding, worthwhile and fun"

I just finished the immersive 13 week MEAN stack web development program at Fullstack Academy of Code. Fullstack was the most challenging and satisfying professional experience of my life. Seriously. It was harder than a master's program in econ and much... Read More

If you genuinely love to code, and are willing to put in the work, I recommend Fullstack highly. Here's why:

** Build real apps. During the final six weeks, I built and deployed three fullstack apps - with database, server code and an interactive front-end based on Angular.Js or jQuery.

** Learn a timely language. Unlike many immersives, Fullstack teaches fullstack JavaScript. This was a big selling point for me and I see a very strong market for JavaScript developers.

** Amazing staff. The founders and instructors are not only expert coders, but also professionals who have founded startups and led teams at Yahoo and Gilt Groupe

** High attention to job skills. Expect to get grilled on algorithmic whiteboard problems, to refactor your Github and to learn to pursue actionable leads on coding jobs.

Sam Lau

9/26/2014

Overall

"How did I learn so much?"

Going through Fullstack was one of the most empowering and liberating experiences of my life—academic, professional, or otherwise. I’d never heard of a learning environment like this before, and I’d certainly never had the pleasure of being a part of... Read More

9/25/2014

Overall

"Best decesion I've made"

Having attended Fullstack's second cohort, 5 months later I couldn't be happier with my decision. Fullstack provided me with all the tools and experience I needed to change fields and quickly find a job that I love. The amount I was able to learn at Fullstack... Read More

As long as you willing to put in the work David, Nimit and the rest of the staff at Fullstack will do everything in there power to help you succeed. Fullstack provided me with the groundwork to easily pick up any new language or framework that I encounter with relative ease and adapt to the evolving need of my job. Even now staying in contact with them I know they will continue to be a valuable resource for me should I ever need anything.