Hack Reactor

Courses: Hack Reactor Remote + Blockchain, Part Time Software Engineering Immersive, Software Engineering Immersive, Software Engineering Premium Prep

Online, Boulder, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, NYC

About Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a lifelong network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and... Read More

Job Outcomes

Not Employed 18%
Unemployed and still seeking a job 18%
Unemployed and not seeking a job 4%
Non-reporting 1%

This bootcamp uses the CIRR methodology. All CIRR members use a standardized, one-page format. To ensure complete accuracy, CIRR reports account for each enrolled student. You can compare outcomes with other CIRR members side-by-side. Learn more about CIRR.

Hack Reactor Remote + Blockchain

Locations: Online

Blockchain technology is revolutionizing how everyday digital transactions are managed. Think BITCOIN. It's changing the face of software development and has the potential to disrupt countless industries in the very near future.

Hack Reactor has incorporated Blockchain curriculum exclusively in their online coding bootcamp (Hack Reactor Remote) cohorts to empower our student programmers upfront, on the heels of this emerging technology. This program takes the time-tested curriculum and transformative experience of our campus-based immersive, and makes it accessible to students all across the world.

The program is built by top engineers and is offered in a 12 weeks full-time or 9 months part-time format. By joining Hack Reactor for this course, you can be among the new generation of successful job seekers to master Blockchain and add this competence to your skillset.

Subjects: Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and Crypto, Blockchain, JavaScript

Part Time Software Engineering Immersive

Locations: Online

The Hack Reactor at Galvanize immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. The Remote Part-Time program offers the same curriculum, program and quality as Hack Reactor's immersive programs, but provides greater flexibility. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly.

Students will learn the fundamentals of CS, Full Stack JavaScript, Inheritance Patterns, Algorithms, Browser Animation, D3, Angular, API frameworks, CSS frameworks, JS frameworks, Deployment and Authentication, Application Design/Development, and Job Searching skills.
By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.

Subjects: CSS, Git, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Software Test Automation, AJAX, Functional Programming, MVC, Test-Driven Development (TDD), React.js, Algorithms, AngularJS, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript

Software Engineering Immersive

• Cost: $17,980
Locations: Online, Boulder, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, NYC

The Hack Reactor at Galvanize immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly.

During the program, you will learn the fundamentals of CS, Full Stack JavaScript, Inheritance Patterns, Algorithms, Browser Animation, D3, Angular, API frameworks, CSS frameworks, JS frameworks, Deployment and Authentication, Application Design/Development, and Job Searching skills - and more!

Galvanize Career Services Managers will prepare you for your post-graduation job search. From leading in-class workshops to holding private study hours, our managers will help you establish career goals and continually monitor your progress throughout the program. The career prep curriculum teaches personal branding, networking, job searching, and interviewing skills.

By the end of the course, you can expect to have a strong, unique Github portfolio, online profiles, and a resume that reflects your value in the job market as an autonomous engineer capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications. Post-graduation, you’ll receive ongoing support from Hack Reactor at Galvanize after graduation, including access to career meetups, daily GitHub pushes and employer referrals.

Software Engineering Premium Prep

• Cost: $250
Locations: Online

Our Premium Prep program is designed to transform participants from beginners to having mastery of basic JS fundamentals and crucial skills needed by anyone learning to code. The program includes over 100 hours of live supported learning in a 100% ONLINE group setting using various online tools to connect with staff and peers. The cost of Premium Prep can be applied as a credit towards tuition for any participants who join any Hack Reactor at Galvanize Software Engineering Immersive program.

Hack Reactor also offers free basic prep and a mentored prep option, which you can learn more about here: https://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs.

Subjects: JavaScript

Hack Reactor Reviews

Overall

4.77/5

11/30/2020
  • Anonymous | Senior Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2015

"If I could do it again, I would!"

Hack Reactor was an exhausting but wonderful three months. I really enjoyed the semi-structured aspect of the sprints (first half) and being able to dig deeper into the things that were interesting to me. The pairing was useful as well - I frequently... Read More

I found the interview prep that occurred throughout the program to be well aligned to interviews that I experienced in the job search. While Hack Reactor didn't teach me everything I needed to know to do my eventual job, it provided great foundational knowledge that I was able to use to learn other things, and in a shorter timeframe than I would have been able to do all by myself. The things I use most today (5 years later!) are the deep dive into JS internals and the debugging process. Instructors were super smart and were great at breaking down concepts. I'd happily take more courses from Marcus or Fred in the future. The career search staff was energetic and invested in our success, and while most of the staff from my cohort are no longer with the company, Marlene (who does alumni job support) is awesome - no-nonsense, caring, and focused. Overall, if I could go back and time and do it again, I would.

11/14/2020
  • Shanan Sussman | Staff Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2015

"One of the best decisions I've made"

For context, I graduated in 2015 and I realize the school, curriculum, and even the industry have changed since then.

Hack Reactor radically shifted the entire trajectory of my life in the most positive way. I was able to go from being a "failed" artist... Read More

I had expected the program to be challenging, but honestly, nothing prepared me for how much of a whirlwind of work it would be. It was easily the most challenging educational endeavor i'd ever taken on. While it easily pushed me to my limits, being surrounded by equally motivated, driven, and enjoyable cohort-mates helped me tackle the challenges presented by the curriculum.

More importantly, the ongoing career support through the Alumni program, facilitated by the one and only Marlene, has been an absolute game changer that continues to pay dividends all these years later. Marlene isn't just one of the most caring and compassionate people I know, she has more experience helping people prepare and secure jobs than anyone I have ever met. Every question, concern, and anxiety that surrounds the job search are deftly answered by her and often with suggestions of entirely different approaches I never would have imagined on my own.

Hack Reactor gave me an opportunity and a career I would have never imagined for myself and I will forever be indebted to the program for what it provided me.

• Graduated: 2015

"The best educational experience I have ever had"

I graduated from Hack Reactor in 2015, and have since then worked at startups (Planet and Patreon), tech giants (Google), and even started my own company (Babylon House), and I can say with no reservations: Hack Reactor is the best of the best. The instruction... Read More

• Andrew Johnson | Frontend Engineer
  • Graduated: 2018

"2018 Hack Reactor San Francisco"

I attended HR in 2018 at their SF campus. It was an experience for sure. I did not come from a CS background but had some experience doing QA at a small web dev shop. I will say that if you can / are willing to put in the time, Hack Reactor will support... Read More

At least when you're in person, the additional resources after you complete HR are incredibly noteworthy. At the SF campus, I could schedule mock interviews with other students and instructors, talk to career coaches, and get inspired to keep pushing as many of my cohortmates were also searching out of the base of operations that was located at the galvanize campus.

I will not lie and say that it is easy. Sure it'll be easier for some, but not so much for others. I am others. I spent the next six months after graduating, juggling work and a job search in a foreign and expensive city with no contacts other than classmates. And I ended up finding work not in SF. It was a draining process. But I have to say it was worth it in the end once I'd finally accomplished what I'd set out to do.

Enter 2020, I lost my first job to a reorganization and was back on the search in the middle of the pandemic. There is a whole network of people that I was able to contact via a HR alumni's slack group and an extremely talented alumni career coach that put me in touch with some alumni for interviews. When I finally was in the final stages of my negotiations with another company that same career coach gave excellent advice on how to properly negotiate for what I needed from my new employer.

All in all, I think it's a worthwhile investment, but by no means is it a guarantee of success in a particular amount of time.

• Anonymous | Frontend Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2015

"If you put in 110% and try to absorb as much as you can, you'll likely succeed."

I attended Hack Reactor back in 2015. The time I had there was a blast. The curriculum was a pretty good mixture of practical learning, some CS fundamentals, and interview preparation. From what I hear, the curriculum has kept pace with the direction... Read More

• Graduated: 2015

"Best Bootcamp with rigorous training and career support"

I wanted a bootcamp that offered a rigorous program that would teach me the skills and knowledge needed to become a software engineer. Hack Reactor definitely delivered that. Since the program is only three months, there were many things I didn't learn... Read More

• Rochelle Valdez | Senior Application Developer
  • Graduated: 2017

"Incredible and invaluable investment that keeps on giving!"

It's hard to sum up what Hack Reactor has meant to me in just a few paragraphs. As a matter of fact, I've been putting off writing this review because every time I start I get overwhelmed with emotion.

Hack Reactor enabled me to turn my life around. Not... Read More

It is, by far, one of the most rigorous programs in this space. I know this because since graduating in May 2017, I have taught, mentored and worked with other graduates from other bootcamps. I won't mention the schools by name, but suffice it to say that they're also fairly well known. As I came to discover an established name doesn't necessarily equate to consistent quality.

As a matter of fact, many graduates from other bootcamps envied me for the continuing community support I received well past graduation. For example, I'm currently in my second job search and Marlene, the Alumni Director, has been a stellar point-of-contact in helping me stay emotionally grounded as well as connecting me to exciting job leads. She treats all alums like her babies and you won't be able to resist her maternal affection.
And that's my point: Hack Reactor is filled to the brim with Marlenes. Just talk to former technical mentors, or even the CEO, Harsh Patel, and you'll instantly know that you aren't just a paycheck to them. They put all of themselves into this work, because they truly want to see you succeed. When you graduate from Hack Reactor, you aren't just walking away with skills for a new career, you're also joining a diverse and empathetic community of top notch software engineers, from places like Square, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. (Seriously, the list is long)

This is not to say there aren't flaws in the system. Of course there are. But even when someone falls through the cracks, I've seen Hack Reactor put their best effort into catching them at the bottom and lifting them back up. I don't expect perfection out of anything, but at least HR always strives for it. To me, that's what matters.

11/10/2020
  • Connor D Campbell | Front-End Developer
  • Graduated: 2016

"Life Changing"

Hack Reactor was one of the most challenging experiences of my life. It really put me on an entirely different trajectory. Even after 4 years I can still ask for help in negations for a new job. The staff always goes above and beyond. The students are... Read More

11/10/2020
  • Austen | Senior Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2014

"Great program with an even better alumni network"

I went through Hack Reactor in 2014 and had a great time back then. My original experience with the program is less relevant than the more recent reviews you see, so I want to talk about job and negotiation help that I received 6 years after graduating... Read More

11/9/2020
  • Graduated: 2016

"Worth the investment for the career support alone"

It’s been almost four years since I’ve graduated from the program (SF onsite, June - September 2016), but enough people have reached out to me since then that I felt like it was worth the time to summarize my thoughts and experiences for others.

Hack... Read More

The curriculum (and industry) changes enough that it’s probably not worth me focusing on the education side of it, so instead, I want to talk about the job placement support afterwards. Both jobs that I’ve gotten since graduating are due to the Hack Reactor network, and specifically, the alumni support program. I truly believe that the resources available after graduation is worth the entire financial investment and more. I was assigned Marlene as my career coach, and I seriously lucked out. She truly goes above and beyond the scope of her duties to ensure that she is accessible at all hours and under all circumstances. I’m not ashamed to admit that I’ve reached out minutes before phone interviews for last-minute pep talks, or spent hours of her time getting her help to draft the perfect response during salary negotiations. When I started my second job search, I reached out to Marlene on a whim to see if she might be able to give some job search advice, but she went even further to connect me with other alumni, the corporate partnership program, and personally coached me through each one of the offers I landed. I was one and a half years past my graduation date, and she wasn’t even a full-time career coach anymore, but it didn’t matter to her. However, it truly made a huge difference for me to not have to go through the job search and interview process on my own.

Everyone’s post-graduation experience is different, but what I truly think makes Hack Reactor stand out is that they actually have dedicated resources to make sure your successes don’t end after you finish your classes. Having Marlene by my side during the most life-altering job search of my career is something that I will be forever grateful for and why I consistently recommend Hack Reactor to others who are seriously considering coding bootcamps to make the career shift. It’s worth the investment a thousand times over.

Hack Reactor's average rating is 4.77 out of 5.0 based on 244 review(s).