Hack Reactor

Best Bootcamp

Ranked 2022 Best Bootcamp

About Hack Reactor

Location: Online

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor provides immersive software engineering education, career services, and a large network of professional peers. To date, the school has more than 8,000+ graduates who’ve been hired by more than 2,500 companies around the world.... Read More

Hack Reactor coding bootcamps are challenging, life-changing, and designed to fit your schedule and skill level. They train students using a computer science and coding curriculum that models the exciting work being done in the software engineering industry. No matter which program you choose, the outcome will be the same. You’ll graduate as an autonomous, full-stack software engineer, fully capable of tackling unique problems and building complex applications on the job.

Led by passionate and experienced instructors, engineers, and career advisors, Hack Reactor graduates become job-ready software engineers that companies want to hire.

12-Week Software Engineering Immersive (Full-Time)

Duration: 12 weeks
Locations: Online

After our 12-week coding bootcamp, you'll be what you want to be: a software engineer, fully capable of tackling unique and unfamiliar problems and building complex applications on the job.

During the program, you can expect:
1. Real engineering work, right away: You'll work through hundreds of hours of problems designed to prepare you for success in technical interviews and in the workplace.

2. Real tools and practices to build job-ready skills: You'll gain the skills to plan, scope, build, and manage applications. You'll learn cutting-edge tech like React and ES6, along with Full Stack JavaScript and computer science fundamentals.

2.Real-world expectations to help launch your career: We'll challenge you to meet deadlines and requirements, build autonomy, communicate with precision, and collaborate effectively. Then we'll help you land the job you've worked so hard to prepare for.

Subjects:
CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Software Test Automation, AJAX, Functional Programming, JSON, MVC, Test-Driven Development (TDD), React.js, Algorithms, AngularJS, Database Design, Express.js, JavaScript, Data Structures

19-Week Software Engineering Online Immersive with JavaScript and Python (Full-Time)

Duration: 19 weeks
Locations: Online

Through this 19-week online coding bootcamp, you’ll be able to start thriving in a new career -- even if you have no coding experience.

If you commit 45 hours per week over 19 weeks, you can expect:

1) In-demand technology and computer science. Our curriculum includes algorithms, data structures, networking, and databases. You’ll also learn Python and JavaScript, the two most in-demand programming languages, plus state-of-the-art practices such as microservices, CI/CD, and network security.

2) Expert instruction using a mastery learning model. We crafted a modern curriculum using the mastery learning model to ensure you grasp, internalize, and master every learning module. This includes the ability to retake modules as needed, and each module culminates in a project so you can build an impressive portfolio to show future employers.

3) Training for long-term career health. We cover skills that lead to career sustainability, including how to establish and maintain healthy and supportive work relationships, use stress management to reduce fatigue and frustration, and have confidence in your decisions.

4) Career services. We don’t wait until the end of the program to talk about jobs. Throughout your 19 weeks, our experienced Career Services team will help you land the job and career you want. Get 1:1 coaching tailored to your skills and needs, go through mock interviews, build your professional resume, and more.

Subjects:
CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Software Test Automation, AJAX, Functional Programming, JSON, MVC, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Python, React.js, Algorithms, AngularJS, Database Design, Express.js, JavaScript, Data Structures

36-Week Software Engineering Immersive (Part-Time)

Duration: 36 weeks
Locations: Online

The carefully designed pace of our part-time online coding bootcamp allows for work-life balance as you train for a new career. Become a software engineer in 36 weeks; learn to code nights and weekends. Afterward, you'll be what you want to be: a software engineer, fully capable of tackling unique and unfamiliar problems and building complex applications on the job.

During the program, you can expect:

3. Real-world expectations to help launch your career: We'll challenge you to meet deadlines and requirements, build autonomy, communicate with precision, and collaborate effectively. Then we'll help you land the job you've worked so hard to prepare for.

Subjects:
CSS, Git, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Software Test Automation, AJAX, Functional Programming, MVC, Test-Driven Development (TDD), React.js, Algorithms, AngularJS, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript

Hack Reactor Reviews

Hack Reactor logo

4.78/5 (309 reviews)

Emily JOnes
Frontend Engineer | Graduated: 2016

Overall

"I still can't believe how much my life has changed"

I graduated in September from the Hack Reactor Remote program. Since then I’ve been an HiR doing personal tech coaching and interviews, and I recently accepted a fantastic offer from a really cool company.

I really can’t recommend HR enough. What really... Read More

They’ll also help you A LOT with resume writing. That’s also the bane of my existence, but with their coaching and help I produced a fantastic resume that got me in to a phone screen easily with several companies. I didn’t even need to attend the last week of the program (since I got a job :D) that goes really intensely over writing cover letters, resume review, job application support and white boarding practice.

Ok, aside from the job stuff, the quality of the course is amazing. You’re working on functioning code bases, mostly to add new features or implement required ones. You’re building web apps from day 1 (Ok, maybe not until day 7 when the sprints start). You are really plunged into the deep end from day one and forced to swim. Be warned: you must be an autonomous person who is goal oriented to take this course. Yes, there is guidance and structure, but it’s ultimately up to you to get what you need done to succeed in the course. There will invariably be extra work you need to do outside of class in order to keep up since it is so fast-paced.

I found the sprints challenging, but not overly-so. I found week 4 to be particularly challenging, and really doubted my skills, but the counseling and tech mentors helped me get where I needed to be. It seems crazy that 12 weeks is enough to get people all the skills they need to succeed, but I found that it was more than sufficient to get me into a job. I was even a bit over-prepared. I barely sent out applications; I applied for one, and was asked to interview for a second that I met at a job fair who had seen my resume. I received an offer from both, and ultimately went with the first one that I had applied to. I’m still completely astounded at how easy, painless and quick the job search was, but that’s because I was impeccably prepared and supported throughout (mix some dumb luck in there too). Granted, the jobs I applied for were both to startups, who value more practical skills to get you in the door. I didn’t have to do any white boarding or algorithm problems, just really practical stuff that I found (frankly) really easy.

By and large, your classmates will be fantastic. Hack Reactor goes to great lengths to make sure it admits people who are not only intellectually capable of the rigorous pace and difficult concepts, but those who will be enjoyable to collaborate with. I had so many helpful classmates that made a huge impact on my success in the course.

I would recommend that if you take the course, you set up after-hours study groups early and often. They were instrumental in helping me understand the material.

I’m a female in tech which isn’t always easy, but the support I received from Hack Reactor makes that much easier. I’ll be the first female engineer at my new job. If you’re wondering if you’ll be a good fit for Hack Reactor specifically because you’re a woman/unconfident about your skills or your ability, don’t worry. If you can get into Hack Reactor and get past the pre-course work, you’ve got what it takes to succeed in the program and on the job. You might be judged by dumb guys from time to time, but that just helps you build up a thick skin. For the most part everyone has been great.

This course is HARD and it will kick your ass. But (at least in my case) you might go from zero coding knowledge, to teaching yourself coding, to Hack Reactor, to an amazing job in less than a year. I can confidently say it was the absolute best decision I have ever made in my life, as well as the hardest thing I have ever done. I am incredibly grateful not only to the founders for starting the school, but to all the tech mentors, counselors, coordinators and cohort mates who put in so much hard work and care to make the program amazing.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment and I’ll do my best to respond.

TL;DR:

Unbeatable job support, insane value for the money, challenging but doable sprints, awesome cohort mates, fantastic tech and morale support/mentoring, insane outcomes (yes, those numbers are accurate). The most difficult thing I have ever done, and the best decision I have ever made. DOOO IIIT! IT WORKS! Regarding a few negative reviews I have read... really? 98% employment after 6 months is not impressive? Do you have any idea what the rate is for a 4 year college? I went to college and NEVER got a job in what I studied, let alone 6 months later.
And yes, there's a lot of self-teaching during the program -- they're trying not to set you up to need your hand held through every bit of code you have to work with. I've been working as professional frontend engineer for 6 months now, and I can say that the real world is very similar to how life feels at hack reactor -- you're thrown into an unfamiliar situation, without any expertise about the code, and you need to figure out how to find your way out of the problem. I'm grateful that they didn't hold my hand through the course-- it would have been a rude awakening to move into the job and suddenly have little support and no skills to figure things out by myself.

Wes Young
Software Engineer | Graduated: 2016

"Amazing Experience!"

I went through the Hack Reactor Remote program last fall and it was by far the best educational experience I have ever had. It was a rigorous 12 weeks and took a good deal of preparation leading up to it but overall it was definitely worth it. Everyone... Read More

If you are willing to put in the work and love code, Hack Reactor is definitely worth the investment!

Alex Leo
Full Stack Software Engineer | Graduated: 2016

Overall

"Beyond 5 Star Experience"

Like you, I was extremely skeptical of attending a programming bootcamp. The thought of it just seemed way to good to be true, there had to be a catch, and there is one. The catch is hard work. The only way to achieve success at a bootcamp is the same... Read More

Cody Scholberg
Software Engineer | Graduated: 2015

9/21/2016

Overall

"I've been #1 or in the top 0.05% everywhere in my life, but here? Here I was dead last. Very humbling experience"

I've been to some good schools, like the US Military Academy at West Point's pre-freshman year course, and there I was one in four students to be in all of the highest level classes, and I still made it onto the Honor Roll and Dean's List. The staff in... Read More

I was the 1% who did NOT find a job in 3-6 months. It took me a year. I can tell you with full confidence that this course will test your limits. Don't enroll if you have any responsibilities for those 13 weeks; you will be consumed ALL day and night, and even outside of the normal hours of operation, you will want that time to study and catch up.

This course was incredible, I learned so. much. from it, and I think all schools should teach this way. At Hack Reactor, cooperating isn't called "cheating" like it is in Academia. My second day on the job, a year later, I was contacted by a Google recruiter who told me that Google has seen enormous success with Hack Reactor graduates, and he called it the "Harvard of Coding Bootcamps".

Software Engineer | Graduated: 2014

8/31/2016

Overall

"Awesome and terrifying and ultimately effective"

Hack Reactor probably isn't totally what you expect. There's no way for even the most pedagogically brilliant of teachers to crack open your skull and wholesale pour information into your brain. Knowing this, I was curious as to how the outcomes could... Read More

The reality is that the secret sauce of Hack Reactor is in the environment they cultivate, the cohorts they construct and the almost Machiavellian way in which they guide your learning down very specific avenues without you even realizing you're being guided. The frustration is a prized ingredient baked into the dough. As they say in this industry - it's not a bug, it's a feature.

The other part of this is that Hack Reactor is often terrifying. Virtually everyone has days where they question whether or not they're cut out of this. Whether or not they're going to fall flat on their faces. I'm sure there were a few exceptions, but those people certainly weren't any of the people I spoke to. Turns out, this stuff is difficult, even for those of us with some familiarity and experience going in. If this field were easy, I'd imagine there would be no programmer shortage anywhere.

HR throws you in the rapids and the screams "SWIM!" at you from the shore. It's stressful and scary while its going on, and you occasionally think you're going to drown, but then you finally climb back up the bank a few months later you realize you've a much better swimmer than you imagined you were when you were straining against the rapids and that at least some of the interviews you're walking in to are more like swimming in a pool.

Hack Reactor's outcomes speak for themselves. It's not a perfect school nor do I believe it's for everyone or even most. There are a lot of people who don't learn well in a sink or swim arrangement. If I had one major criticism, it's that a lot of their outbound marketing efforts indicate that HR could be for everyone and I think that's setting a lot of folks up for disappointment or screwed up expectations and making admission's gatekeeping job all the more difficult and more essential. That said, I get it - they don't want to scare away people who are potentially much more capable than they give themselves credit for.

6/17/2016

Overall

"Confessions of a $20K bootcamp graduate. (Hack Reactor)"

A quick reminder: Hack Reactor was created in late 2012 by DevBootcamp grads.
In this article I’ll review the curriculum of the bootcamp and the reality graduates are facing.
The curriculum.
~45 per class 90 per floor. 180 at any given time. The “Elite”... Read More

9/1/2015

Overall

"The best financial decision I ever made"

I was originally hesitant to attend the bootcamp, especially with the price tag. I had enough saved up to attend the bootcamp but I was worried about affording to live in San Francisco. Luckily, I took the leap (and I'm 100% sure I made the right choice!).... Read More

I paid off the tuition with my savings and I crowdfunded a loan using WeFinance.co for my living expenses. Best (and toughest) 3 months of my life.

The people there were great, I learned a lot, and they have an AMAZING network. When people refer to it as the "Harvard of coding bootcamps" it's not an understatement. People who attend basically have their choice of jobs.

If you're on the fence, make the jump.

Kevin M
Graduated: 2013

12/16/2013

"NULL"

I attended Hack Reactor from August through October 2013, and it was the most useful educational experience I've ever had.  I don't say that lightly, as I've attended two highly ranked universities.

Hack Reactor's value stems from both the sheer amount... Read More

The precourse work is intense and ramps you up to a speed at which you could probably go ahead an get hired as a junior developer (!!!).  You learn the basics of the distributed git workflow, reimplement the wildly popular Underscore.js library, build a twitter clone, and master recursion in a way that makes you familiar with the DOM.

The structured learning phase lasts for the first five weeks of Hack Reactor.  You're implementing JavaScript inheritance patterns and data structures by the end of the first week.  The four weeks after that are a marathon run through jQuery, a couple of different frameworks, algorithmic thinking, and complexity analysis.

After that, there's an individual project phase - at this point, you're turned loose to work on a personal passion project (which they must approve). There are also paid client projects available for those who want them.  This is a great time for people to work out kinks and learn how to hack on their own.

Once you've had this experience, students form groups and unleash their combined brain power on creating apps.  Some really impressive stuff has come out of this, e.g. http://redditInsight.com.

After that is the hiring phase. Hack Reactor hosts a hiring day at the start of the 11th week of the program and then provides interview support until, well, everyone gets a job... which doesn't usually take very long! Most people in my class got multiple six-figure offers.  Interestingly, a massive amount of learning seems to take place during those two weeks, too, as people all go nuts solving ridiculous toy problems that interviewers threw in front of them together.

I'm giving Hack Reactor 5 stars.  The 3 months I spent there have launched me into a more productive, high-paying, and satisfying job than I could have ever gotten otherwise.

Check original post by clicking HERE

Ruan Pethiyagoda
Graduated: 2013

10/20/2013

Data Science

Overall

I went through the Hack Reactor program, and counter to their excellent advice on how to manage a job search, I accepted an offer to work there before the founder could even complete his sentence, and without even having gone into compensation. Getting... Read More

It was such a captivating environment that I was irate at having to go home at night. I went from having next to zero software background (minus dabbling with CodeSchool etc) to writing scaled distributed computing networks that got their fair share of attention, all thanks to the people in the room, be it my peers or the instructors, very senior engineers, and solid operators who know what they are doing.