Makers Academy

Courses: Web Development Bootcamp

Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London

About Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 12 week, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development. Based in London, England the course is delivered fully remotely and is open to anyone in the world who meets the coding... Read More

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running.

There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

We have an incredibly popular emotional intelligence curriculum as well, with virtual yoga and meditation support, because world-class software developers are great communicators and collaborators as well as great coders.

Makers has the largest dedicated career coaching team in the industry providing 1:1 support to help you launch your tech career. We have relationships with over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco). We also have the largest alumni network in the UK.

Web Development Bootcamp

• Cost: £8,000
Locations: Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London

Firsthand Experience

Forget rote learning and slow progress. You'll be learning from world class developers and immediately implementing the concepts into your own projects. Be prepared to drink from the firehose.

Community-driven Classrooms

During your hands on training, we invite engineers from top tech companies to guide you. You'll be learning while simultaneously networking with key members in the technology community.

Pairing

Students spend about 50-70% of their time pair programming, meaning two people working together on the same code base. Pairing is a fantastic way to learn new concepts and studies have shown developer output to INCREASE when developers pair program.

Project-Based Work

While the first half of the course focuses on the fundamentals of Web Development and the Ruby Language, the second half focuses heavily on students creating real-life projects. You will leave the course with at least 3 complete pieces of work for your portfolio, as well as a bulging Github account and plenty of points on Stack Overflow.

Makers Academy Reviews

Overall

4.72/5

4/1/2015
  • Iona seligman
  • Graduated: 2014

"Excellent Organisation whose Agile methodologies don't stop at teaching"

Much like Deniseyu I was extremely fortunate to benefit from teaching that was given majoritarily by Alex Peattie and Enrique Ripenhauser who are both excellent teachers as well as top flight development. I ought mention that there remain two experienced... Read More

It is a wonderfully stimulating environment but slight understaffing might hold you back if you're not the loudest person or fastest worker which I found pushed me behind more. This is also in part due to the varied backgrounds which saw some competent developers start alongside total beginners with varying levels of skill and preparation in between. Pair programming is an excellent method but when weaker students continuously pair as more experienced developers monopolies time on more interesting and advanced parts of the syllabus I'm not sure they're likely to develop apace.

I would absolutely recommend Makers but I'd recommend you go well past the recommended preparation before you put down your payment to know for sure that you're not only capable but actually talented at programming. I realize that the vast majority opt for intensive teaching precisely to find this out under guidance and without having to make your way through the process in bits and pieces but they don't ask very much in advance. Also over summer expect a slight polarization with greater numbers of aspiring entrepreneurs and students / recent grads than I inagine are normally on the course.

I would absolutely recommend it for anyone looking to secure a junior developer position and a fabulous springboard to the London technology scene. They're also hugely good fun, give you exposure to top players and recruiters across the industry and are enthusiastic about women and other minorities in tech. It's a great environment that strikes a balance between professional intensive and creative.

12/17/2014
  • Web Development Bootcamp

"You can get a job as a junior developer if you work hard enough. Read the stories"

Makers Academy changed my life and has changed plenty of my fellow classmates lives too. The course is intense and requires a special kind of resilience. The course is great and is always changing to stay up to date with industry trends. After I finished... Read More

10/9/2014
  • Sarah | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2014

"You can do this and trust me, it’s worth it."

Doing Makers Academy was one of the best decisions of my life. My experience was personally and professionally rewarding and I cannot speak highly enough of the Makers team and their program. Of course nine months ago I didn't know any of this. Like many... Read More

What's the program like?
Intense: I was trained as an academic-track historian yet this was by far the most intense and intellectually challenging educational experience. It's a full-time job and then a bit more. But every minute was enjoyable, even when you're completely lost on a problem, because there's an incredible support system around you. The teaching staff, alumni, senior cohort, and your cohort are all there to support you. There was a strong emphasis on peer-learning and pairing on top of all the class time, tutoring, mentoring, and course work. The program requires time and dedication, and in many ways it's like any intensive language program: the more you put in the more you get out of it.

Fun: Balancing that intensity is a constant spark of fun and enthusiasm. You share a classroom with incredibly bright, fun, quirky people who are just a curious and eager to learn as you are. The Makers team is adept at creating time and space for fun, creativity, and relaxation -- everything from meditation and yoga to group ping-pong and legos.

Rewarding: As a historian I never really considered myself a 'science/math' person. I even struggled with math in high school. Gaining a new skill in a field I never thought I could enter, in addition to finding something that I both loved doing AND was rewarding has been one of the greatest gifts of my life.

What's the curriculum like?
As a former educator I was impressed with the curriculum. The pre-course material was useful and the course progressed at a pace that in retrospect was challenging though steady. It mirrors most curriculums that start with the foundations and grow in complexity. They cover a tremendous amount very quickly and even though there were times when I felt a bit out of my depth I just kept swimming (you must), and like other language courses you often surprise yourself on how much you know.

I've heard colleagues say that 'lost' feeling is part of being a developer; it doesn't go away for a long time. I've met developers who have been coding for ten or more years and freely admit they're stumped. As a developer it's important to know how to handle that sensation of intellectual helplessness and vulnerability - Makers mimics that environment and gives you the tools to learn how to handle it.

Looking back at the curriculum I'm also grateful for and impressed by Maker's early emphasis on best practices and Agile methodology. Like Nico says, the team live and breathe Agile and you will too. I have lot of respect for the way the instructors think and discuss code as if it's a craft because I believe it is. This early emphasis has helped me so much in my first career steps.

What's coding like?
I had no idea what software engineering involved, it was all a mystery to me. I didn’t know it meant I could work with a team of bright, curious, open-minded individuals to create something with a tangible impact. To me coding is like craft-making, figuring out puzzles, even experimenting in the kitchen - activities I enjoy doing but would never have thought could be related to software engineering. It requires team-work, imaginative thinking, and curiosity. It's language-learning, problem-solving, communication all in one and I love it.

What's finding a job like?
The job support I've experienced has been invaluable. The team work very hard to help you find opportunities, to practice interviewing or pairing, and to prepare you for a career as software engineer. When my post-graduation traineeship suddenly ended due to lack of resources Makers guided my towards a new opportunity and I was able to join a great software development company.

What if I don't have a math/science education?
Coming from a humanities background meant some aspects of programming were more challenging for me than for someone who had studied a STEM subject. But I have other skills that balanced that. It's important not to underestimate the non-coding skills you bring, from knowledge about a particular industry to an intuitive understanding of how people relate to each other.

I now view my experience in the humanities as a strength. Learning to approach problems differently was part of my education at Makers, and I can feel myself improving with every bit of code I create. I wasn't born a historian or writing - both came with years and years of practice. Coding is similar, it takes practice.

9/29/2014
  • Nico | Software Engineer at Shutl LTD (eBay inc. company)
  • Graduated: 2014

"Most intense and rewarding learning experience of my life!"

What's so great about Makers Academy? It´s all about the people. Makers are doing an amazing job at finding great, unique and dedicated individuals to work with. The intensity is very high - I went through University, A-Levels and so on - it was nowhere... Read More

Be there always, try to learn always, work harder than you´ve ever worked before, whenever you think something is too hard, do exactly that!

For this Makers will give you the perfect learning environment. Everyone at Makers lives and breathes Agile values ! They encourage you to do the right things and offer a vast amount of knowledge and dedication. The coaches aren´t there cause they can´t find a job elsewhere or because they make so much money(unlike with many other educators in the private sector), they´re there cause they love what they do and they believe in the power of tech and want to help changing lifes. I can´t value Makers Academy high enough.

This course helped me to change my life and my career. Just three weeks after finishing the course I got an offer from one of Londons top software companies which I took.

Some of this review is taken from a blogpost I made about this. If you're interested in someones journey from pre- to post-makers you should have a go at my extensive blog: http://nicolearnscoding.blogspot.de

5/7/2014
  • James Jenkin Yates

This will be my last Makers Academy Review about the curriculum because next week and for the final week we shall be working on the final project. Which for me will be Pinch, the snapchat for deals web application which will take inspiration also from... Read More

Most of this week and therefore my headspace was taken up with discussion as to the final project however we did cover; Bootstrap, Creating your own API and basic Rails security. Bootstrap was very useful and makes building a front-end for a website very easy in a short space of time, which is excellent as this is one of the areas that REALLY frustrates me, I would much prefer to be sat on the backend coding away than fiddling about with css elements then deciding that it didn’t look good and starting again. Bootstrap looks plain but simple and it will do for now. It was awesome to see how to create your own API with jbuilder etc. it will also come in useful for dynamically feeding content to the front end, I like it a lot.

Read for more at jamesjenkinsyates.com

Makers Academy's average rating is 4.72 out of 5.0 based on 295 review(s).