Makers Academy

Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, +1 more.
London

About Makers Academy

Location: Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London

Makers Academy is a highly selective 12 week, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development. Based in London, England the course is delivered fully remotely and is open to anyone in the world who meets the coding... Read More

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running.

There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

We have an incredibly popular emotional intelligence curriculum as well, with virtual yoga and meditation support, because world-class software developers are great communicators and collaborators as well as great coders.

Makers has the largest dedicated career coaching team in the industry providing 1:1 support to help you launch your tech career. We have relationships with over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco). We also have the largest alumni network in the UK.

Cost: £8,000
Duration: 12 weeks
Locations: Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London
In-person Available Online

Firsthand Experience

Forget rote learning and slow progress. You'll be learning from world class developers and immediately implementing the concepts into your own projects. Be prepared to drink from the firehose.

Community-driven Classrooms

During your hands on training, we invite engineers from top tech companies to guide you. You'll be learning while simultaneously networking with key members in the technology community.

Pairing

Students spend about 50-70% of their time pair programming, meaning two people working together on the same code base. Pairing is a fantastic way to learn new concepts and studies have shown developer output to INCREASE when developers pair program.

Project-Based Work

While the first half of the course focuses on the fundamentals of Web Development and the Ruby Language, the second half focuses heavily on students creating real-life projects. You will leave the course with at least 3 complete pieces of work for your portfolio, as well as a bulging Github account and plenty of points on Stack Overflow.

Makers Academy Reviews

Makers Academy logo

4.73/5 (381 reviews)

Anonymous

11/12/2015

Overall

"Not bad, but not stellar"

I went to Makers and felt like I received a pretty decent education, however when I applied for jobs I was completely oversold on the skillset I would get. It's hard to fit so much material into a short bootcamp, but I definitely felt like the material... Read More

I received very little career support, even when I have asked for it.

Matteo Manzo

8/4/2015

"From Zero to Hero"

Attending Makers Academy has been the best decision I ever made! I didn't believe at all that in 12 weeks it would have been possible to learn how to program and get a job very soon afterwards, but that's actually what I did. In fact, one month after... Read More

Dan

7/24/2015

Overall

"Makers Academy Ronin - Amazing experience - Just go ahead and do it already!"

Howdy online review reader! I've just completed Makers Academy as part of their first Ronin cohort (Ronin is completed remotely - not at their London HQ), and accepted one of four job offers received through them after 7 weeks of finishing...

My advice... Read More

I spent a year knowing that I wanted to do Makers, but feeling perhaps i needed to prepare more before doing it. Looking back - I can honestly say the only regret i have is not doing it sooner! Yes prepare, and take courses online before hand if you like - but don't feel you need to 'be incredible' even before starting. Their precourse and course will ensure your success given your willing to give 100%.

That said i did feel getting half way into Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial online, gave me a good overview and 'lay of the land' to approach the course if your looking for recommendations!

Looking back I guess, i also always thought coding required some sort of 'genius' or super math skills. Having come out the other side, I look back and see coding as just like any skill - conquerable for anyone. You don't need to be a genius, you just need to be passionate about tech (hey - there's not much at life you can do if your not passionate about it!), and willing to work hard for the 12 weeks surrounded by the teachers and environment at Makers. I'm terrible at math - and honestly it makes no difference. I see the reputation that 'it takes some sort of special genius to be a coder' as a damaging myth now - it stops people doing it, and the world needs a tonne more developers. I'm pretty sure anyone that wants to code can - it's only the myth which stops people from trying/committing. Honestly - anyone can do it! :)

That's another thing Makers gives you - the realisation that you can learn anything, even outside of coding!

Other bits of advice:

- Do everything you can to commit to the course. It really is something special to be surrounded by so many passionate amazing people, all wanting your success. It fly's by - so even on the hard days when your tired etc and your friends are all going out and calling you - remember that. If your in Makers, you have a once in a life time opportunity - make the most of it - work your ass off each week to understand each weeks concepts. Keep your calendar free for the 12 weeks - Drink Makers in! :) It's so rare in life to have such passionate people teaching you, and to be surrounded by people all sharing your goal, and your not going to do it twice!

(If you feel you've never worked that hard before - i'd say don't worry - Makers seems to bring out the best in everyone.)

- Doing Ronin, I'd recommend extending this to your environment. Make sure you have a room where you won't be disturbed during the day, make sure you have the surroundings free from temptation and distraction to do intense learning. Kindly explain to your loved ones how important it is to you to have this space and time for 12 weeks, and maybe be able to skip chores etc

- Grab a macbook - I know right they're expensive. But going forwards this is your tool of the trade - it makes it a whole lot easier if your using the same equipment as everyone. (And hey once you graduate you'd end up buying one anyway!).

Review wise, i find it hard to put into words. Makers has literally been one of the best experiences of my life. The atmosphere (even doing it remotely in Ronin!) is incredible. The knowledge - you can't put a price on, and the introduction to so many (great) companies and people (who all become friends!) all going into the industry - is invaluable, the coaches and staff - honestly cannot do enough for you - they must have a secret rule somewhere to always over deliver - they also become like friends.

Makers also puts so much effort connecting you to companies that are doing the right things in tech. Yes there's developer jobs everywhere - but the companies Makers partners with are literally at the top of the game.

That's another thing Makers has taught me - how to do development professionally. It's not impossible or perhaps even hard to teach yourself online and get a job at a company - but they make a real effort on distinguishing you as a professional - not just a 'hacker'. In my experience - each interviewer i met was blown away by the best practices, skills and knowledge of tools/frameworks that Makers instilled in us from day 1. This is something that comes from their close relationship with top companies. Makers knows exactly what they want and use, and passes this on to you. :) When it comes to applying for jobs, you really are at the top of the stack, you really can work at the best of companies.

This is another thing - sometimes perhaps on hard days, people doubt or worry that for some reason the Makers way won't work for them. That getting a job will for some reason will be harder for them. It's not true - it works, have faith in Makers Academy's expertise, their process, and their curriculum. Trust them - you get everything their website promises.

Coming out - it was just a case of picking which job ticked the right boxes for you: money, culture, location, big or small etc. Makers really does open doors no matter your background, age, experience or even location! (Makers is a wonderful mix of students from around the world, of all ages and backgrounds, all with one shared passion.)

So i don't know what more to say. It's hard to review something that becomes such a special part of your life for three months. I also never normally write reviews online!

I say if you've taken the time to read this, your obviously passionate enough about tech, so just go ahead and do it! :) Coding really is the skill of the current century - don't be a bystander - join in and help take the world into the digital future! Makers will make your dream a reality.

Ed Brown

7/24/2015

Overall

"So pleased I did this......"

Each day was an absolute pleasure. The help and opportunities concerning my career were so very useful. The staff could not have been more epic at teaching and pleasant. I have gone from a boring job in a dull industry, to coding in Ruby/Javascript in... Read More

Ed O'Brien

7/23/2015

Overall

"Probably one of the best choices I've ever made."

Before attending Makers, I had finished university with an unsatisfactory degree and was working dead-end jobs to keep myself afloat with little hope for the future. I half-heartedly applied for Makers, expecting yet another rejection but the day after... Read More

Nicole Pellicena

4/3/2015

Overall

"Change careers into web development"

I would start by saying that attending Makers (September 2014 - December 2015) is by far one of the best experiences of my life from so many different perspectives. The learning curve is insane, the people on my cohort and the staff are inspirational... Read More

I chose Makers for a couple of reasons, one of the biggest reasons was simply the feeling I got after having interviewed at a number colleges. The Makers process for entry is a lot more selective, giving me confidence in the marketing message and the course content they would eventually deliver. The atmosphere was collaborative, positive and I felt at 'home'.

Having now completed the course and started on my journey as an active member of the London developer community, I can also say that Makers take teaching best practices seriously and are actually pretty unique for this approach in the education sphere. At the core of the syllabus is a test driven (TDD) approach, something which not only makes your resulting code more maintainable and adaptable but also makes you a hot commodity in the job space.

The best part of the course is the intense learning experience, you do get pushed to the limit! I was at college from 8.30am to 9pm every day for three months and also coding on weekends, so expect to get addicted!

At this point I need to give a big shout out to their Chief Joy Officer, Dana, who is absolutely crucial (at least from my personal perspective) to your experience on the course. She offers regular meditation and yoga and is there to talk you through any difficulties you are having, both course related and personal. She was a huge support to me throughout the course and is now one of my close friends.

The only downside I can honestly say is that Makers live and breathe agile (a well used industry practice), what this means is that they are constantly iterating and so every cohorts experience on the course is quite different and course materials that are perhaps not always polished. It does however mean that they are keeping up with what your eventual employers would like to see on your CV and gives you the opportunity to truly learn like a developer.

The support on the course and post-course, while looking for a job, is one of the big reasons I am still a familiar face at Makers Academy. It has become a hub for my development, and the placements team at Makers are my first port of call for any career related questions I have.

Iona seligman

4/1/2015

Overall

"Excellent Organisation whose Agile methodologies don't stop at teaching"

Much like Deniseyu I was extremely fortunate to benefit from teaching that was given majoritarily by Alex Peattie and Enrique Ripenhauser who are both excellent teachers as well as top flight development. I ought mention that there remain two experienced... Read More

It is a wonderfully stimulating environment but slight understaffing might hold you back if you're not the loudest person or fastest worker which I found pushed me behind more. This is also in part due to the varied backgrounds which saw some competent developers start alongside total beginners with varying levels of skill and preparation in between. Pair programming is an excellent method but when weaker students continuously pair as more experienced developers monopolies time on more interesting and advanced parts of the syllabus I'm not sure they're likely to develop apace.

I would absolutely recommend Makers but I'd recommend you go well past the recommended preparation before you put down your payment to know for sure that you're not only capable but actually talented at programming. I realize that the vast majority opt for intensive teaching precisely to find this out under guidance and without having to make your way through the process in bits and pieces but they don't ask very much in advance. Also over summer expect a slight polarization with greater numbers of aspiring entrepreneurs and students / recent grads than I inagine are normally on the course.

I would absolutely recommend it for anyone looking to secure a junior developer position and a fabulous springboard to the London technology scene. They're also hugely good fun, give you exposure to top players and recruiters across the industry and are enthusiastic about women and other minorities in tech. It's a great environment that strikes a balance between professional intensive and creative.

Anonymous

12/17/2014

Overall

"You can get a job as a junior developer if you work hard enough. Read the stories"

Makers Academy changed my life and has changed plenty of my fellow classmates lives too. The course is intense and requires a special kind of resilience. The course is great and is always changing to stay up to date with industry trends. After I finished... Read More

Sarah
Software Engineer | Graduated: 2014

10/9/2014

Overall

"You can do this and trust me, it’s worth it."

Doing Makers Academy was one of the best decisions of my life. My experience was personally and professionally rewarding and I cannot speak highly enough of the Makers team and their program. Of course nine months ago I didn't know any of this. Like many... Read More

What's the program like?
Intense: I was trained as an academic-track historian yet this was by far the most intense and intellectually challenging educational experience. It's a full-time job and then a bit more. But every minute was enjoyable, even when you're completely lost on a problem, because there's an incredible support system around you. The teaching staff, alumni, senior cohort, and your cohort are all there to support you. There was a strong emphasis on peer-learning and pairing on top of all the class time, tutoring, mentoring, and course work. The program requires time and dedication, and in many ways it's like any intensive language program: the more you put in the more you get out of it.

Fun: Balancing that intensity is a constant spark of fun and enthusiasm. You share a classroom with incredibly bright, fun, quirky people who are just a curious and eager to learn as you are. The Makers team is adept at creating time and space for fun, creativity, and relaxation -- everything from meditation and yoga to group ping-pong and legos.

Rewarding: As a historian I never really considered myself a 'science/math' person. I even struggled with math in high school. Gaining a new skill in a field I never thought I could enter, in addition to finding something that I both loved doing AND was rewarding has been one of the greatest gifts of my life.

What's the curriculum like?
As a former educator I was impressed with the curriculum. The pre-course material was useful and the course progressed at a pace that in retrospect was challenging though steady. It mirrors most curriculums that start with the foundations and grow in complexity. They cover a tremendous amount very quickly and even though there were times when I felt a bit out of my depth I just kept swimming (you must), and like other language courses you often surprise yourself on how much you know.

I've heard colleagues say that 'lost' feeling is part of being a developer; it doesn't go away for a long time. I've met developers who have been coding for ten or more years and freely admit they're stumped. As a developer it's important to know how to handle that sensation of intellectual helplessness and vulnerability - Makers mimics that environment and gives you the tools to learn how to handle it.

Looking back at the curriculum I'm also grateful for and impressed by Maker's early emphasis on best practices and Agile methodology. Like Nico says, the team live and breathe Agile and you will too. I have lot of respect for the way the instructors think and discuss code as if it's a craft because I believe it is. This early emphasis has helped me so much in my first career steps.

What's coding like?
I had no idea what software engineering involved, it was all a mystery to me. I didn’t know it meant I could work with a team of bright, curious, open-minded individuals to create something with a tangible impact. To me coding is like craft-making, figuring out puzzles, even experimenting in the kitchen - activities I enjoy doing but would never have thought could be related to software engineering. It requires team-work, imaginative thinking, and curiosity. It's language-learning, problem-solving, communication all in one and I love it.

What's finding a job like?
The job support I've experienced has been invaluable. The team work very hard to help you find opportunities, to practice interviewing or pairing, and to prepare you for a career as software engineer. When my post-graduation traineeship suddenly ended due to lack of resources Makers guided my towards a new opportunity and I was able to join a great software development company.

What if I don't have a math/science education?
Coming from a humanities background meant some aspects of programming were more challenging for me than for someone who had studied a STEM subject. But I have other skills that balanced that. It's important not to underestimate the non-coding skills you bring, from knowledge about a particular industry to an intuitive understanding of how people relate to each other.

I now view my experience in the humanities as a strength. Learning to approach problems differently was part of my education at Makers, and I can feel myself improving with every bit of code I create. I wasn't born a historian or writing - both came with years and years of practice. Coding is similar, it takes practice.

Nico
Software Engineer at Shutl LTD (eBay inc. company) | Graduated: 2014

9/29/2014

Overall

"Most intense and rewarding learning experience of my life!"

What's so great about Makers Academy? It´s all about the people. Makers are doing an amazing job at finding great, unique and dedicated individuals to work with. The intensity is very high - I went through University, A-Levels and so on - it was nowhere... Read More

Be there always, try to learn always, work harder than you´ve ever worked before, whenever you think something is too hard, do exactly that!

For this Makers will give you the perfect learning environment. Everyone at Makers lives and breathes Agile values ! They encourage you to do the right things and offer a vast amount of knowledge and dedication. The coaches aren´t there cause they can´t find a job elsewhere or because they make so much money(unlike with many other educators in the private sector), they´re there cause they love what they do and they believe in the power of tech and want to help changing lifes. I can´t value Makers Academy high enough.

This course helped me to change my life and my career. Just three weeks after finishing the course I got an offer from one of Londons top software companies which I took.

Some of this review is taken from a blogpost I made about this. If you're interested in someones journey from pre- to post-makers you should have a go at my extensive blog: http://nicolearnscoding.blogspot.de