Makers Academy

Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, +1 more.
London

About Makers Academy

Location: Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London

Makers Academy is a highly selective 16 week, full-time program which teaches web development. Based in London, England the course is delivered fully remotely and is open to anyone in the world who meets the coding requirements, and wants to future-proof... Read More

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running.

There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

We have an incredibly popular emotional intelligence curriculum as well, with virtual yoga and meditation support, because world-class software developers are great communicators and collaborators as well as great coders.

Makers has the largest dedicated career coaching team in the industry providing 1:1 support to help you launch your tech career. We have relationships with over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco). We also have the largest alumni network in the UK.

Web Development Bootcamp

Cost: £8,500
Duration: 16 weeks
Locations: Online, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, London
In-person Available Online

Firsthand Experience

Forget rote learning and slow progress. You'll be learning from world class developers and immediately implementing the concepts into your own projects. Be prepared to drink from the firehose.

Community-driven Classrooms

During your hands on training, we invite engineers from top tech companies to guide you. You'll be learning while simultaneously networking with key members in the technology community.

Pairing

Students spend about 50-70% of their time pair programming, meaning two people working together on the same code base. Pairing is a fantastic way to learn new concepts and studies have shown developer output to INCREASE when developers pair program.

Project-Based Work

While the first half of the course focuses on the fundamentals of Web Development and the Ruby Language, the second half focuses heavily on students creating real-life projects. You will leave the course with at least 3 complete pieces of work for your portfolio, as well as a bulging Github account and plenty of points on Stack Overflow.

Makers Academy Reviews

9/29/2014

Course
Web Development Bootcamp

Overall

"Most intense and rewarding learning experience of my life!"

What's so great about Makers Academy? It´s all about the people. Makers are doing an amazing job at finding great, unique and dedicated individuals to work with. The intensity is very high - I went through University, A-Levels and so on - it was nowhere... Read More

Be there always, try to learn always, work harder than you´ve ever worked before, whenever you think something is too hard, do exactly that!

For this Makers will give you the perfect learning environment. Everyone at Makers lives and breathes Agile values ! They encourage you to do the right things and offer a vast amount of knowledge and dedication. The coaches aren´t there cause they can´t find a job elsewhere or because they make so much money(unlike with many other educators in the private sector), they´re there cause they love what they do and they believe in the power of tech and want to help changing lifes. I can´t value Makers Academy high enough.

This course helped me to change my life and my career. Just three weeks after finishing the course I got an offer from one of Londons top software companies which I took.

Some of this review is taken from a blogpost I made about this. If you're interested in someones journey from pre- to post-makers you should have a go at my extensive blog: http://nicolearnscoding.blogspot.de

James Jenkin Yates

5/7/2014

Overall

This will be my last Makers Academy Review about the curriculum because next week and for the final week we shall be working on the final project. Which for me will be Pinch, the snapchat for deals web application which will take inspiration also from... Read More

Most of this week and therefore my headspace was taken up with discussion as to the final project however we did cover; Bootstrap, Creating your own API and basic Rails security. Bootstrap was very useful and makes building a front-end for a website very easy in a short space of time, which is excellent as this is one of the areas that REALLY frustrates me, I would much prefer to be sat on the backend coding away than fiddling about with css elements then deciding that it didn’t look good and starting again. Bootstrap looks plain but simple and it will do for now. It was awesome to see how to create your own API with jbuilder etc. it will also come in useful for dynamically feeding content to the front end, I like it a lot.

Read for more at jamesjenkinsyates.com