The Job Hackers

Courses: Agile Training Class, +-6 more.
Agile Training Class

San Francisco, +-6 more.
San Francisco.

About The Job Hackers

Our mission is to change the way people connect with their lives and careers. The Job Hackers provides individuals with the knowledge and experience needed to navigate the complex world of knowledge work. We do this by not only giving our participants... Read More

Agile Training Class

Locations: San Francisco

Agile Scrum Master Class Tentative Syllabus

Required Reading has links to Amazon website. You can find some of the books on Safari Online (indicated where applicable). Many public libraries give access to Safari books with membership. Some can be found at your local library.

Part 1 - Introduction to Agile and Scrum

We will cover what Agile is, the philosophy behind the Agile Manifesto, why Agile can only be known as a reaction to the prevalent Waterfall approach, the 3Ps of Agile, what is scrum and how does it embody the Agile philosophy, how to use relative estimation techniques to quickly and easily discover Value and Effort and how to achieve Transparency, Predictability and Value. This week we cover the Philosophy and most prevalent Practice (Scrum).

The Agile Manifesto – A Brief and Bold Guide by Larry Apke
The Scrum Guide – PDF version of most recent official scrum guide (online)

The Why of Agile
Introduction to the Scrum Framework
Relative Estimation Presentation and Exercise

Part 2 – Introduction to Software Quality / Technical Debt / DevOps

This week we will cover two things that are necessary to for sustained Agility over time – Acceptance Test Driven Development (BDD/TDD) and Continuous Integration and Delivery. It can be very difficult to complete, test and deploy software each iteration but it is possible. Over the short term it can be done via sweat and hard work, but over a period of time there are practices that make it possible.

The Cucumber Book - Matt Wynne
Evolutionary Design (online) – Martin Fowler

BDD – Building Quality into Software
High Cost of Low Cost Software Development

Part 3 – Product Development Flow and Systems Thinking

Reinertsen’s book on Product Development Flow, though not written to do so, provides good explanations why Agile software development works well. We will continue to examine the nature of complexity through systems thinking.

The Principles of Product Development Flow – Don Reinertsen
The Fifth Discipline – Peter Senge

Principles of Product Development Flow
Introduction to Systems Thinking

Part 4 – Cognitive Biases and the Human Side of Programming

Software development is about people. We cannot understand it unless we understand the people that do the work. If time allows, we will also cover alternative to Scrum like Kanban (Scrumban).

Drive – Daniel Pink
Peopleware – Tom Demarco
KanBan and Scrum – Making the Most of Both – Henrik Kniberg (online)

Peopleware
Drive
Cognitive Biases

Part 5- Overflow and deeper dives

We will use the last part of time remaining to dive deeper into topics the class needs more information on.

Subjects: Product Mgmt, Scrum

The Job Hackers Reviews

Overall

4.98/5

4/23/2018
  • Anonymous | Product Manager
  • Graduated: 2018

"Shockingly thorough, and far more interesting than expected"

Honestly, my expectations were low as this is a free course. So I was pleasantly shocked when the instructor turned out to be exceedingly engaging.

I would recommend attending in person if at all possible; the ability to ask questions in person and discuss... Read More

I would also recommend completing all the reading as soon as possible; preferably in advance of the course. There is quite a lot of reading.

The job support and meetups seem excellent; I wish I lived closer to be able to take better advantage of both.

4/22/2018
  • Abraham O. Tuyo | Founder & CEO
  • Graduated: 2018

"Agile, today. Agile, Tomorrow. Agile, Forever!"

Besides providing experienced professionals with the tools and principles of the Agile Methodology, The Job Hackers' twice weekly (for six weeks) sessions goes beyond textbook information. Instead, it exchanges and challenges participants to think beyond... Read More

The weekly sessions are well-structured, delivered with engaging and rich content inviting active assessment by participants. These 90-minute sessions tend to fly by quickly. A syllabus is provided weeks prior to the start of a new session; included are a list of published articles and textbooks by industry notables and practitioners, Agile practice exam questions and certification sites. Following each session, lecture materials are uploaded (on to Slack), where the interaction between teacher and participants continues, until the next session. The average session size is 30; this includes online and in-person attendance. Larry is never at loss of answers or energy; this is evidenced by the eight channels on Slack. No question is too small or irrelevant. Larry always responds in short order.

The Job Hackers is designed to support all types of job role and profession, and industry. As a founder of tech companies, I believe the start-ups should embrace and instill Agile Methodology and Principles, at the onset. The Job Hackers participants are a talent pool of experienced individuals, who upon completion of the program bring with them enhanced abilities to job - able to support many business situations and challenges. By engaging Recruiters (Placement Agencies), through orientation events (Meetups) individuals tasked with helping companies find experienced competent Human Capital are able to the hidden value proposition in every participant to prospective. Something that is not is short supply at The Job Hackers.

I recommend sending your employees to one of their sessions or consider graduates from this program for employment. You will not be disappointed.

4/16/2018
  • Larry Lee | Agile Scrum Master
  • Graduated: 2018

"The best real world training experience I have ever received"

I take Agile, Scrum, Kanban and Project Management training several times a year. These training sessions are very tech book and always help you prepare for a related exam. But they rarely cover real world experiences, they cover text book perfect experience.... Read More

Thank you to Larry Apke for inviting me. I can't wait to attend another one!

-Larry Lee
Agile Scrum Master

3/19/2018
  • Tim
  • Graduated: 2018

"Excellent, in-depth dive in Agile principles and the Scrum framework"

The class and group is centered around agile principles and the Scrum framework along with communal support for job searching for those that need it. This is an excellent way to not only prepare for a PSM or CSM exam, but also gain a considerable amount... Read More

I would highly recommend this to others looking for knowledge to support a career in management of day-to-day product development or software engineering.

2/23/2018
  • Jennifer

"Multi-Level Value Class"

It was a chance meeting at a Meetup event that I met Larry who casually mentioned his workshop. I was stalled and struggling in my job search and floundered in an interview when I forgot key agile terms I've known for years. When Larry mentioned the Agile... Read More

On the first day, I was surprised to find that Larry was volunteering his time specifically to help those in the middle of a job search, using a skill he was passionate about.

From this class I not only reinforced what I already knew, but learned so much more. The icing on the top was the opportunity to exercise my project management skills, network with others of same and varied situations. I also appreciated the guest speakers.

As fulfilling as the opportunity was, some things on my wish list would be some exercises to demonstrate the methodology. There was one about weighing story points that I found helpful and would have liked to have one or two others.

Because of the format of the class, having alumni come back on the last day to share what they have done to progress in their job search and application of what they learned in class.

The coupling of meetup with TJH opens up opportunity to futher networking with those looking to further their professional goals.

Lastly, I wish there were follow up courses or engagement to continue after the workshop is completed.

• Dan Sharoni | Product Innovation Agile Leader
  • Graduated: 2018

"Product Innovation leadership that fosters groundbreaking solutions from ideation to full market release, with close focus on knowledge workers motivations and wellness."

I've been practicing Agile for about 10 year and became Certified Scrum Master in 2010. The Job Hackers class that Larry Apke conceived and is teaching plays a significant role in my deeper understanding of all that's behind the methodologies and technics... Read More

A deep understanding of how teams should be self organized, how intrinsic motivation is key to building successful teams and how business and technology need to collaborate is what the class is bringing to the students.

I'd recommend the class to anyone I'm connected with.

• Jeff Robinson | Business Analyst
  • Graduated: 2018

"Great Way to Learn about Agile and Scrum"

I really enjoyed being in the classroom to interact and learn from Larry Apke and the other participants.
Great content, good interaction, wonderful location.

• Cuneyt Oskal
  • Graduated: 2017

"Overall experience"

I was one of the students from Larry's starting classes, and did not miss even one day because it was very extensively informing and eye opening. It helped me improve my strategy in searching for jobs, and interviews. With that advanced strategy, my interviews... Read More

2/20/2018
  • Chris Woodside | Sr. Consultant, Future State
  • Graduated: 2018

"Great Agile Course in SF"

So thankful I attended the Job Hackers Agile Course in SF.

Pros--

Content-- excellent overview of agile and scrum framework with practical examples and exercises
Material-- just enough
Hours and location in Downtown SF-- perfect for folks needing to attend... Read More

Cons-- Cannot think of any

2/20/2018
  • Igor | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2017

"Great way to learn Agile and Scrum to get a PSM Certification"

A comprehensive course covering Agile software development and Scrum. The reading materials can be a bit overwhelming at times but it is worth getting through. Great way to meet others involved in project management, Agile and the Scrum world. After the... Read More

The Job Hackers's average rating is 4.98 out of 5.0 based on 81 review(s).