App Academy

Courses: Bootcamp Prep, Software Engineer Track: In-Person, Software Engineer Track: Online

Online, San Francisco, NYC

About App Academy

App Academy is a coding school that offers online and in-person training programs with no tuition cost until you’re hired as a Software Engineer earning over $50,000. The career changing outcomes that App Academy has produced since being founded in 2012... Read More

Bootcamp Prep

• Cost: $2,999
Locations: Online, San Francisco, NYC

Bootcamp Prep is a 4-week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.

There are multiple course and pricing options for students interested in the Bootcamp Prep:
Bootcamp Prep Live: Cost $2,999
Bootcamp Prep Online: Cost (Three Tiers) $995, $1,795, $3,795

Subjects: CSS, HTML, Algorithms, Node.js, JavaScript

Software Engineer Track: In-Person

• Cost: $17,000
Locations: NYC, San Francisco

In 16 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Flux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.

App Academy now offers flexible financing and deferred tuition for their Full Time Program:
- $17k upfront tuition payment
- $23k (9k upfront, 13k deferred tuition payment)
-$28k (fully deferred tuition payment, 3k deposit ).

Subjects: Design Principles, CSS, HTML, jQuery, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, Algorithms, JavaScript, UX

Software Engineer Track: Online

• Cost: $20,000
Locations: Online

The Software Engineer Track: Online program offers members an almost identical experience to our in-person full-stack course with daily video demos, live q&a instruction, projects, pair programming, live lectures from App Academy instructors, white-boarding, career services and more. It costs $0 upfront and you only pay if you’re hired as a developer (upfront and hybrid payment options are also available). The course is full-time, Mon-Fri, from 8am-5pm PST, and will get you job-ready in 24 weeks. Please note: we are unable to accept applications from New York residents at this time to the SWE: Online program.

Subjects: CSS, HTML, MongoDB, Docker, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails, Redux, React.js, SQL, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript

App Academy Reviews

Overall

4.69/5

12/17/2020
  • Miah Barnes | Teaching Assistant in Web Development

"Challenging and Welcoming."

App Academy is a fast paced, challenging, web development course that claims it can teach people to code with no prior experience. I attended the bootcamp in June of 2020. Here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-Lots of help.
-Friendly staff.
-Has a current curriculum... Read More

Cons:
-Expensive
-Not enough coverage on data structures and algorithms.

You can make the argument that the price is worth what you get out of it. Similarly, you educations depends on you being willing to put in a lot in order to get a lot out of it. In a way you dictate the experience you have here. I enjoyed my time here. The welcoming environment was nice, and the teachers spent countless hours teaching you how to solve problems, rather than just pointing to solutions. If you genuinely want to learn and have the drive to survive the 6 month long program, you will learn a lot of information. In addition to the price the lack of data structures and algorithm teaching is in part the draw back of all boot camps, there simply is not enough time to teach you everything. They make an effort on this front however, by teaching you how to teach yourself. So by then end of it if you don't know something, you can easily find out how to do it.

12/17/2020
  • Jeff Granof | Jr Instructional Assistant

"Great Bootcamp"

This bootcamp is not for everybody, but if you are willing to set aside 24 weeks of your life and pretty much only focus on developing your skills as a software developer, this is the place to go. The teachers are all wonderful. The curriculum covers... Read More

12/16/2020
  • kasey mcgee | Recent Graduate
  • Graduated: 2020

"App Academy is a life saver!"

I thought that with education costs and the time it takes to get a degree, I would never be able to transition into software engineering. Not while taking care of my family anyways. Well with their deferred tuition and instructional approach, I can proudly... Read More

12/16/2020
  • Ammar Nassri
  • Graduated: 2020

"App Academy is no joke, you'll gain a lot of experience just by going through their bootcamp"

Oh man, just finished up the curriculum and currently getting ready to apply for jobs. Here are the pros and cons of my experience:

Pros:
- The curriculum is extensive, everything you need is explained in full details in articles, reiterated in videos and... Read More

Cons:
- The curriculum can use some proofreading, typos are everywhere and as a former designer, they all jump out to me.

Really not many negative things I can think of about my experience. It really has been a pleasant experience for me. With that said, it really is an intensive bootcamp. LOTS of materials to digest within a short amount of time, which takes a toll on personal life. So plan accordingly.

12/15/2020
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great experience, be mindful of time to get a job"

The instructors and TAs were amazing, always going the extra mile to make sure we understood what was going on. The curriculum covers a lot of important material and does a good job explaining the concepts.

If you are thinking of going, make sure you have... Read More

12/14/2020
  • Graduated: 2020

"Wonderful Bootcamp that gives you head start!"

Pros:
Rigorous curriculum, full stack is a lot! Especially to someone who does not have background in this field. The boot camp gives students plenty of material to absorb. If one can not totally absorb, then later you have to pick it up yourself!
Core... Read More

Cons:
Too fast paced and if you are not careful you could be deferred even if you are well trained and qualified. So quality of graduates come from the fact that there are intense filtering processes.

12/11/2020
  • John Anders
  • Graduated: 2020

"App Academy is everything it says it is"

I did extensive research before committing to App Academy, and there are three main reasons I chose it and WOULD CHOOSE IT AGAIN:

1. a/A has an income sharing agreement, so they are intrinsically motivated to get you hired, and every piece of the program... Read More

2. a/A is assessment-driven and engineering-focussed, meaning they don't carry dead weight—and more to the point, they do not have a reputation for allowing dead weight or for graduating "web devs" who don't really know how software works. You learn multiple languages. You learn algorithms and data structures. You build 2 solo projects and 2 group projects. It's intense. But... You are allowed up to 3 deferments. This is designed to give you the chance to have more time if you are struggling, and it also means that at a certain point, the unmotivated/less capable will be significantly challenged. That challenging is good for your skill and reputation as a potential a/A grad, so as long as you can keep up this is a plus. I found the rigor was typically held in good tension with empathetic instructors who want to support you well through what they know to be a high-paced 24 weeks.

3. People! Students I reached out to prior to choosing a/A generally had great things to say about their experience. Reach out to a/A grads on LinkedIn who live near you, and you'll likely find the same. But what makes this difference? For me, it's the people. I had the best lead instructor I could've imagined, and the TAs are generally of good quality as well. While every company likely has some instructors that fall below the curve, I really can say the instruction I received was personable, encouraging, and technically substantial. (There are some instructors that occasionally guest lectured for my cohort, and I liked them as well.) And the students? Amazing! I genuinely made a good handful of friends, and we voluntarily check in with each other as we each look for jobs. Yes, every class will have that person looking for a quick way to money, but even so they get weeded out or have a change of heart. And how can you not make friends when the average day consists of several hours pair-programming?

I've harped on about the strengths of App Academy. What are the weaknesses? I give the curriculum 3 stars—maybe 3.5 if that's allowed. But I actually really liked the curriculum, particularly the structure, pace, and topics, as well as the video instructors. a/A even updated it earlier in the year, so even recent language developments are covered. So why 3 stars? Simple: the videos are typically paired with homework in the form of article-style readings to be done the night before their topics are covered, and while many of the readings were fine, just as many were riddled with grammatical errors and unclear phrasing. Additionally, occasionally the code-along videos involved deprecation issues, leading to avoidable, class-wide encounters with bugs. While the deprecation issues are understandable, the lack of writing quality is not (aside from the classic engineering stereotypes that come to mind).

None of these curriculum issues are reasons not to choose a/A. In fact, I bet every bootcamp faces these same challenges when it comes to keeping curriculum current and polished. These reasons do, however, provide for a point of growth on the part of App Academy, and I know they are aware of this and constantly improving, welcoming your constant feedback. You are, after all, required to provide it daily, and in my experience they take it really seriously. What makes this ultimately excusable for now is that students always have ample opportunity to ask questions on every single lecture topic, so you are always supported as you seek to master content. There wasn't a single topic for which I wasn't provided a live Q & A. Ask away!

A small but earnest point should be made before concluding. You really must take into account the length of job search and the possibility of deferment when thinking about how you will support yourself during the bootcamp. For many, 24 weeks is already a stretch. You've got to ask yourself if you could be income-less for a year. While your career coach will understand if after the 24 weeks you feel that you simply must get a part time job, this will provide a ton of stress if you don't consider your "worst cases" before starting the bootcamp. This goes for any bootcamp, and even though I bet a/A's placement pace is relatively high compared with other programs (on average roughly 6 months after graduating), you simply can't afford to make a poor choice when it comes to your finances.

Ultimately, joining App Academy was likely the best choice I could've made in a year nothing went to plan. The ISA means they have skin in the game and are aligned with your goal of jump-starting your career. The rigorous, assessment-driven structure means you will actually become something by the time you are done. And the people are worth the cost of the late hours, tears, grit, and (deferred) money. While the curriculum can be improved in its delivery, it really just might make a software engineer out of you!

12/10/2020
  • Jaron Degen | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2020

"The instructors are awesome!"

App Academy was a great experience overall. You really have to be committed 100% to get through it. I thought I was in over my head the first week or 2 but the instructors were the reason I stuck it out. They were not only great teachers but also excellent... Read More

11/12/2020
  • Software Engineer Track: In-Person
  • Graduated: 2020

"Tech is a second gold rush, and these folks sell shovels"

I attended App Academy after graduating college with a degree in Ecology and working in the US Forest Service for three years. Basically, I had no technical experience whatsoever outside of playing video games and experimenting with basic coding in the... Read More

App Academy has a pretty solid curriculum, and while you could conceivably learn it all on your own it's much more efficient to do it through them. While most of the TA's are recent A/a grads, the cohort leads are usually experienced engineers and can answer your in-depth technical questions. I'm pleased to say there is a decent focus on true CS concepts rather than just how to use the trending tools of the industry, which is really what counts in the job search. Specific languages and tools go out of style rapidly, but if you can internalize the core concepts of CS and learn how to pick up new things on the fly, you will be able to apply to a wide range of jobs and have a chance of passing the interviews.

Pair programming is one of the most infuriating experiences imaginable, but I will say that it is the secret sauce that makes this bootcamp work. Left to you own devices you will likely not be motivated or focused enough to work through the whole curriculum on your own, but when paired with another person all day it makes sure that both partners are on task and making good progress. I will say I love pair programming when two people can just freeform work on the project together and throw out the driver/navigator roles, and I encourage you to suggest this to your partners if both of you are on board.

I would also say that while the A/a model works really well right now, it is definitely a crapshoot whether or not it will work for you or in the future. Right now tech is a bloated whale of high paying coding jobs that could be conceivably had with just 4-6 months of rigorous training, but I suspect that like the gold rush this will come to an end. Most of these jobs are for startups which are not profitable and are funded by VC cash. While I'm not an economist, I have heard from people who are that the tech industry is likely overvalued and may crash in the same way that finance did in 2008. Just be wary, and have realistic expectations. At the time of this review I would 100% recommend App Academy as a viable option to a tech career, but if you are reading this a year or later down the line I would do my research into the state of the industry and bootcamp placements before registering. If you are older (say, 35+) or lack a degree you may also struggle to find a job as many companies will automatically weed you out for not having a degree or discriminate against you for being an older candidate. Ditto if you are not a citizen or green card holder. While I and many of my friends found jobs within 3-6 months of finishing the program (some even sooner), I also met many people who fit into the above categories who ended up searching for upwards of a year.

The one place where App Academy really shines is the job search. This to me is where 90% of the value comes from. Anyone can learn how to code on their own, but I can honestly say without my dedicated and talented coaches I would have been dead in the water. They teach you things that you can't easily learn off the internet, things you wouldn't even think to google, and the job search formula works, at least in this current economy. Indeed, I did App Academy because I didn't think I could find a job in my old field (ecology), but after going through the job search curriculum I realize I total could have if I knew what I know now about job searching. Lastly, I'd like to mention that my first coach was a dud and pretty useless, but after he "left" App Academy I was assigned to two new coaches who were total rockstars. My point is your milage may vary, but for the most part I would say the coaching staff is solid.

Finally, read the fine print. The ISA money-back guarentee only applies if you finish the program and don't find a job after a year, and even then you will more than likely have to sign a job search extension adding extra months before you are eligible to get your money back. This is due to the fact that your projects and job search materials will likely not be done by the time you graduate and you will need to spend additional time working on these, during which time you are not technically job searching. Make sure that you are able to support yourself being fully unemployed for a period of 17ish months (4 months curriculum + 13 months for the search) before you start the program if you want to be safe. Of course you could just send it anyway, but you are running a risk as if you run out of money and have to go back to work you will still owe A/a $28K. Also, plan on moving to a tech hub city (most likely SF or NY) if you do not already live in one, these are the places where companies will hire bootcampers. I was lucky enough to score a remote job, but that is also mostly due to COVID. You may also be able to do so but again it is a crapshoot.

Overall, I would recommend App Academy but only in an artifically inflated and booming tech economy.

11/11/2020
  • Jourdan Ooi | Software Engineer
  • Software Engineer Track: In-Person
  • Graduated: 2020

"Strenuous and at times annoying but in the end worth it."

Pros:
-Great curriculum taught by competent and (mostly) empathetic instructors who want you to succeed.
-If you can pass the curriculum as well as are giving a true "best of yourself" effort then you will learn to program.
-Resources are plentiful during... Read More

Cons:
- During job search technical resources are very much limited and watered down compared to help you received during curriculum.
- Although there are few, I did encounter instructors that I felt were chosen for their ability to program rather than their ability to teach and program.
- Terrible system of conduct and accountability. There has to be a better way to handle plagiarism. Everyone who programs grabs info from stackoverflow etc.

App Academy's average rating is 4.69 out of 5.0 based on 992 review(s).