App Academy

Courses: App Academy Open, Bootcamp Prep, Software Engineer Track: In-Person, Software Engineer Track: Online

Online, San Francisco, NYC

About App Academy

App Academy is a coding school that offers online and in-person training programs with no tuition cost until you’re hired as a Software Engineer earning over $50,000. The career changing outcomes that App Academy has produced since being founded in 2012... Read More

App Academy Open

• Cost: Free
Locations: Online

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.

Subjects: Design Principles, CSS, HTML, jQuery, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, Algorithms, JavaScript, UX, UX Design

Bootcamp Prep

• Cost: $2,999
Locations: Online, San Francisco, NYC

Bootcamp Prep is a 4-week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.

There are multiple course and pricing options for students interested in the Bootcamp Prep:
Bootcamp Prep Live: Cost $2,999
Bootcamp Prep Online: Cost (Three Tiers) $995, $1,795, $3,795

Subjects: CSS, HTML, Algorithms, Node.js, JavaScript

Software Engineer Track: In-Person

• Cost: $17,000
Locations: NYC, San Francisco

In 16 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Flux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.

App Academy now offers flexible financing and deferred tuition for their Full Time Program:
- $17k upfront tuition payment
- $23k (9k upfront, 13k deferred tuition payment)
-$28k (fully deferred tuition payment, 3k deposit ).

Software Engineer Track: Online

• Cost: $20,000
Locations: Online

The Software Engineer Track: Online program offers members an almost identical experience to our in-person full-stack course with daily video demos, live q&a instruction, projects, pair programming, live lectures from App Academy instructors, white-boarding, career services and more. It costs $0 upfront and you only pay if you’re hired as a developer (upfront and hybrid payment options are also available). The course is full-time, Mon-Fri, from 8am-5pm PST, and will get you job-ready in 24 weeks. Please note: we are unable to accept applications from New York residents at this time to the SWE: Online program.

Subjects: CSS, HTML, MongoDB, Docker, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails, Redux, React.js, SQL, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript

App Academy Reviews

Overall

4.69/5

• Graduated: 2014

"Hard Work That Will Pay Off"

I graduated from App Academy in December of 2014, and definitely feel like attending was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I now work at an awesome company working on really cool problems as a full stack engineer.

My background: I had taken a... Read More

The structure and content of the App Acadaemy curriculum is top notch. They know exactly what is useful and what is not. For example - not useful: rote memorization of code. Useful: learning how to think logically, approach problems with the intention of creating an elegant algorithm, and how to read documentation and quickly pick up new skills. That being said, the tools you learn are also really useful tools to know how to use: they focus on ruby/rails, sql/active record, and javascript/react (when I took the course, it was backbone).

The quality of instruction is incredibly high, and you spend most of your time (probably 80% of the day) actually coding and working on problems. I really liked that, as I definitely learn better by doing, and most of the best learning moments were working with TA's who could explain a concept in practice after getting stuck on a specific part of a problem.

After the course, they have good resources to help you apply and interview for positions. It's still a lot of work, but it's really valuable to hear what actually matters on a resume or cover letter, what interviewers are actually looking for, etc.

I now work at a really cool company, working on stuff way more interesting than anywhere else I've ever worked, and getting paid like 3x more than I was at my old job. I'm using the ruby/rails and js I learned at App Academy, but I'm also using React on the front end, as well as Scala/C++ on the backend. So don't let anyone tell you that you're only qualified in the language you know.

Two quick caveats: 1) This is not a place for people who want to figure out if they'll enjoy software engineering. You have to be committed and ready to work really hard from the beginning. 2) This is not a place for people who have trouble self-motivating. 80-90 hours per week is not a joke, and a lot of that is forcing yourself to work through really complicated readings and problems. After graduating, you won't be handed a job, but you'll have the skills to get a great job if you work hard and keep practicing. But if you're likely to burn out easily or need someone else to push, maybe this isn't the best place for you.

tl;dr:
Great program that will teach you the skills and mindset to be a software engineer anywhere if you're already motivated and willing to work for it.

• Anonymous | software engineer
  • Graduated: 2015

"You get what you put in"

I attended App Academy mid/late 2015 when they were in their older, market street, location.
I remember getting to class around 8:30 every day and leaving around 9PM every night, and spending pretty much all of my weekends in the offices.

Pros:
I didn't... Read More

Cons:
After my co-hort, Three of my favorite staff members's contracts with a/A have ended(or they decided to leave, I'm not sure which). The staff who teaches/helps teach rotate per co-hort as they generally hire students after they graduate.
My cohort was the largest cohort at the time. and there wasn't enough staff members to accomodate with all of the students at times. once in a while we would be waiting for someone to help us out longer than we would expect usual.
They're in a newer location(in the financial district) of San Francisco. While it does look nicer and accomodates for more students.
The job search curriculum was fairly new when I finished my course as well. At the time, the person in charge only had one other staff member. They've grown since.

Every issue I've had with a/A has been addressed in the cohorts after me. They hired some of my classmates as new teaching staff, the cohort after ours was a little smaller(they've grown now I bet, it's been almost a year). One of my classmates was even also hired to be part of the job search curriculum. so everythings moving!

• Anonymous | software engineer
  • Graduated: 2015

"over-hyped, so-so program with terrible job support"

Pros.... you don't have to pay until you get a job is good for some people. The office is nice and centrally located. The ratio of TAs to students is good. Some of the projects are very interesting and unique to A/A (you get to create your own object... Read More

Cons... Their "money-back" guarantee contract is actually ridiculous. You only don't have to pay tuition if you search for an entire year after the program is over and don't find a job (you aren't allowed to hold even part-time work in your previous position for that entire year).

They test their students every week and kick out the students who don't perform well, so this inflates their statistics on percentage of students who find a job vs other bootcamps who don't kick out students. Plus it makes everyone way stressed out. Even so, their time to placement is way too long (after 3 months, ~50% of grads are employed), compare that to Hack Reactor's stats of 80%!).

They have terrible post-graduation job support that mostly involves pushing students to bulk-spam companies. Basically, forget about picking where you want to work, just get an offer anywhere that will give you one because let's face it, we're in a coding bootcamp bubble. There are now way more bootcamp graduates than there are openings for junior-level software engineers in SF and most employers don't think A/A graduates are any better/different from Dev Bootcamp/General Assembly/Coding Dojo, etc grads. All students are required to submit 200+ applications to companies.

TAs are 99% recently graduated students who did well in the course but have no work experience as software engineers or experience finding jobs in this field.

• David Kim

"It's All about You"

The course that I took before making it to every coding bootcamp I applied to was the Bootcamp Prep offered by App Academy.

Going into this course I didn't do it because I wanted to raise my chances of getting into other bootcamps, I did it because I had... Read More

My results after finishing the month long prep course changed a lot of things for me. Not only was I applying to other bootcamps I was getting into all of them. I got accepted into all of the bootcamps I applied to, and I applied to all of the hard ones including the notoriously competitive App Academy and Hack Reactor.

The details of the course can be found on their website so I won't go into that here. The reason I say this course is all about you is because you have one month to get into the bootcamp of your dreams, put your all into it. If you're looking for a bootcamp prep course, I am assuming you already am ready to commit some 3 months of your life to flip it upside down. The same idea applies to this course, you have 1 month to make those 3 months a reality. Those 3 months bootcamps that you dreamt of, you can have your pick of the litter and make it your reality.

There were three students that stood out to me in the course, myself included. One thing we had in common was that we did not have other time commitments. This does not mean you need to drop everything just yet. The course I took was part time accessible for a reason.

The curriculum covered everything I was being tested on and more. As long as you grasp concepts and can write code accordingly, you will be in great shape. I assume the tests will only get harder as the years go by but I know App Academy is an adaptive school and I wouldn't be surprised if they adapt their curriculum as the times change.
The "Job Support" is what I consider to be their application support. Coming out of this prep course you apply to bootcamps, not jobs, but I consider this to be the equivalent. It was good. There were extra materials to work on and mock interviews to be scheduled.

I can't vouch for any other bootcamp prep courses. Even if the curriculum is the same, the experience could be completely different. I went to App Academy's Bootcamp Prep Course and I hit the jackpot. Things click for me. I'm not a wiz, remember I failed after the second basic coding challenge, never mind the technical interview, but after the course I killed it all.
I'm confident that this course can do a lot for a lot of other people. Just give it your all because it's all about you.

• Tony | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2016

"App Academy was awesome, but make sure you come prepared"

Prior to App Academy, I have been learning coding on my own through various online resources. It was nice that I was able to go at my own pace and learn what I wanted to, but after some time, I knew that I wanted to accelerate my learning and find a position... Read More

For me, the course was a load of fun. From Monday - Friday, from 9 - 6 (with a 1 hour 15 minute lunch break and a 15 minute break), it was all about learning and coding. My personal schedule was to wake up at 6:00 AM, get to App Academy by 7:30 - 8:00 AM, and review the readings / homework assignment before class started at 9:00. After 6:00, I would look over the solution for the day's work, and prepare for the next day. I would usually go to bed by 10:30 PM, with the latest being 11:00 PM, as I believed getting enough sleep was the key to me being able to focus throughout the immense workload that App Academy entails. However, everyone in my cohort was different, so what worked for me might not have worked for someone else. Finding the balance and schedule that worked for me was key to keeping my momentum going and not get burnt out. The good news is, it was only for 3 months, so even though it was tough every day, it didn't continue for years. I did enjoy learning and coding constantly, and it was amazing how much I learned at the end of the curriculum, with a full-stack project that I am pretty damn proud of. I would actually look forward to Mondays, as it was another day to continue to grow my skill set and build cool things.

The most stressful part was probably the assessments. The policy at App Academy is that you are only allowed to fail 1 out of the 6 given. If you fail two, you are released from the program. That's why it is important to keep on top of the material, and make sure you have a deep understanding of the concepts that are taught. They do provide practice assessments that closely follow the actual assessment, though they are different, so you can't just memorize the practice assessment. It is highly recommended that you take the month-long prep work that is given before the start of the main course seriously, as everything from the curriculum builds on top of it.

The part I enjoyed least was the job searching process. While App Academy does provide lectures about algorithms for technical interview questions, I found it very difficult to get through the resume screening to even get a chance for a phone screen. My other classmates had more success than me though, so I might have just been an unusual case. They tell you it's a numbers game, and that you have to apply to many to get a few hits. It was tiring and demoralizing, but I eventually got through it and landed a job. I would recommend saving enough money to last you not only the 3 months of the main curriculum, but also for the job search process as well, as the amount of time it takes to find a job is uncertain.

Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at App Academy. You are surrounded by motivated and talented individuals, and everyone is working together to get through it. You are challenged to learn a crap load of information everyday, and you will be amazed at what you can achieve in a short amount of time. Without App Academy, I would not have been confident to even apply to software engineering jobs.

• Anonymous | Software Engineer
  • Software Engineer Track: In-Person

"Decent engineering curriculum, rock-bottom terrible network and job search"

Pros: Paid out of salary, hence only a small upfront layout ($5k, and they're flexible if that's difficult, though it wasn't for me).
Good coverage of basics of Rails; I was there before they switched to React, but the Backbone.JS we did was also solid... Read More

Cons: For job search, you're pretty much totally on your own. Their network is laughably small, and the advice given was mediocre, limited and unhelpful. I've talked to the people they've hired to beef that up since, and I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse. Imagine the worst stereotype of a high school guidance counselor; they've got several, and they're all alums who couldn't find a job at all and weren't technically skilled enough to be considered for instructors of the proper curriculum.

I did find a job eventually, unrelated to the 200 applications sent they recommend; I went to a few meetups, and happened to salvage a bad one by talking to someone who'd asked for job seekers and hadn't actually had anyone speak up. Then again, I was underprepared for the job and couldn't hold it.

• Axel L.
  • Graduated: 2016

"AppAcademy Bootcamp Prep Course"

AppAcademy conducted a 3 week in-depth JavaScript cohort in February to prepare students with the technical knowledge needed to be successfully enrolled at a coding bootcamp. I enrolled in their first incarnation of this course and was excited to turn... Read More

• Kenneth Chen
  • Graduated: 2016

"Great Bootcamp Prep Course"

I took the bootcamp prep course in NYC in April when it first launched here and it was a fun experience. Our instructor, Fred, guided us through all the fundamentals of JavaScript; we even covered some material that a good number of bootcamps don't require... Read More

Bootcamp prep classes are 2 hours a day, Monday to Friday for a month. That means that you can do it while working. I wasn't, but several of my classmates, at the time, were. You should be aware, however, that to do well in it, you're going to need to dedicate another hour or two to it. I spent an average of 4-5 hours a day on it, completing assignments and reading the lecture notes beforehand.

Other things that might be of particular interest: (1) You're free to use either Windows, OSX, or Linux. (I used Windows.) However, FYI most coding bootcamps require a Mac for their full stack web development courses. (2) You might be wondering, why does the prep course teach JavaScript? That's because most bootcamps let (or require) you to interview in JavaScript. (3) The course has an online discussion forum, set up via a website called Piazza. Since the course itself runs in parallel with the bootcamp prep courses in other areas, you can ask for help from other bootcamp prep instructors and students from across the nation. (The course was only set up in SF and NY when I took it, but it now seems like more locations have opened.) (4) If you're taking this course to get into App Academy's full stack web development course, you get to skip the pre-challenge and move straight to a 45-min technical interview.

Overall, the bootcamp prep course is a big investment, but it will increase your chances of getting in a top bootcamp. I worked through the practice exercises for the technical interview for App Academy's full stack web development course, and I believe that I was able to solve all of them due to the fact that I had acquired the logical thinking required through constant coding at Bootcamp Prep. Reading about how to program is one thing, but doing it is another. The bootcamp prep course will give you the practice you need to begin thinking like a programmer.

• Garrett Simpson | Javascript Engineer
  • Graduated: 2015

"Couldn't have spent my time better"

Word of caution -- I came in already knowing the basics of html, css, ruby, and rails. I also got a job 3 weeks after finishing, first in my cohort. These are not typical stats -- usually about half of a cohort has an offer after three months. But the... Read More

1/7/2016
  • Graduated: 2014

"It's difficult to overstate how transformative App Academy has been."

In a matter of months, I learned more than I had ever learned before, made a complete career change, and met some of my closest friends. I was hired about two months after the program ended, and the company I now work for has since made offers to two... Read More

App Academy does a great job of not just teaching you how to build web apps, but teaching a bunch of really important best practices, and understanding how to write high quality code. It also does a pretty good job of preparing you for the job search and salary negotiation process, which would be extremely valuable even without any of the technical training.

App Academy's average rating is 4.69 out of 5.0 based on 1036 review(s).