App Academy

Courses: Bootcamp Prep, Software Engineer Track: In-Person, Software Engineer Track: Online

Online, San Francisco, NYC

About App Academy

App Academy is a coding school that offers online and in-person training programs with no tuition cost until you’re hired as a Software Engineer earning over $50,000. The career changing outcomes that App Academy has produced since being founded in 2012... Read More

Bootcamp Prep

• Cost: $2,999
Locations: Online, San Francisco, NYC

Bootcamp Prep is a 4-week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.

There are multiple course and pricing options for students interested in the Bootcamp Prep:
Bootcamp Prep Live: Cost $2,999
Bootcamp Prep Online: Cost (Three Tiers) $995, $1,795, $3,795

Subjects: CSS, HTML, Algorithms, Node.js, JavaScript

Software Engineer Track: In-Person

• Cost: $17,000
Locations: NYC, San Francisco

In 16 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Flux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.

App Academy now offers flexible financing and deferred tuition for their Full Time Program:
- $17k upfront tuition payment
- $23k (9k upfront, 13k deferred tuition payment)
-$28k (fully deferred tuition payment, 3k deposit ).

Subjects: Design Principles, CSS, HTML, jQuery, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, Algorithms, JavaScript, UX

Software Engineer Track: Online

• Cost: $20,000
Locations: Online

The Software Engineer Track: Online program offers members an almost identical experience to our in-person full-stack course with daily video demos, live q&a instruction, projects, pair programming, live lectures from App Academy instructors, white-boarding, career services and more. It costs $0 upfront and you only pay if you’re hired as a developer (upfront and hybrid payment options are also available). The course is full-time, Mon-Fri, from 8am-5pm PST, and will get you job-ready in 24 weeks. Please note: we are unable to accept applications from New York residents at this time to the SWE: Online program.

Subjects: CSS, HTML, MongoDB, Docker, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails, Redux, React.js, SQL, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript

App Academy Reviews

Overall

4.69/5

12/28/2013
  • Zen Zoe
  • Graduated: 2013

This is a personal story.

I graduated from the July 13' cohort. I was attracted to AA (App Academy)because I liked their pay later model. If they were willing to bet on me than I felt comfortable betting on them. I was able to find a job within two months... Read More

AA was the most intense experience I've ever had. I came in with limited RoR/JS knowledge and I learned a ton over the course of the program. I personally liked the fact that several students had more experience than I did. Although at times discouraging, it ultimately motivated me to push hard; I was determined to not fall behind. It blew my mind that by the end of the ninth week I could build a web-app front-to-back. For real.

Not everyone makes it though. I've personally been told there have been scenarios where students were refunded their deposit in unfortunate scenarios. Ned and the staff give more attention to the people who seem to need it. It's pretty clear they want everyone to succeed, it seems genuine too, regardless of their financial incentives.

It amazes me how after the program I am able to have high-bandwidth conversations with experienced engineers. Although we learned Rails, I'm currently writing a web-app for work in Flask (Python micro-framework). Picking it up was chill because I understood fundamental web and MVC concepts. More importantly, I learned "how to learn." The skills you gain from AA go beyond Rails/JS, you gain a skill-set to become a real programmer.

AA was an experience I will never forget. I worked my ass off, met a lot of motivated people, and got my dream job working as a professional programmer. Best luck to anyone considering the program or going through it right now -- just remember to get enough sleep!

App Academy's average rating is 4.69 out of 5.0 based on 971 review(s).

What was Cody McCabe's experience at App Academy?
By: The SwitchUp Team | 8/28/2018

Compare Similar Bootcamps

Frequently Asked Questions

What financing options are offered by App Academy?

App Academy offers many financing options, such as Income Share Agreements, Loan Financing, and Upfront Payments.

What courses are offered at App Academy?

There are many courses you can take at App Academy. These include Bootcamp Prep, Software Engineer Track: In-Person, Software Engineer Track: Online

What types of programs are offered at App Academy?

App Academy has Full-Time programs for students that can be taken online or in-person.

In these programs, students can learn from and take advantage of guided lectures, live pair programming, white-boarding, career and job placement services, and more.

What are the job outcomes for App Academy?

The average salary after graduation is $90,000 in New York and $101,000 in San Francisco, and 74% of alumni find a job.

App Academy alumni work at various tech companies, such as Google, Dropbox, PayPal, Facebook, Github, and more.

What is the application process at App Academy like?

Prospective students will need to submit an online form and complete an interview to apply to App Academy.