Flatiron School

Courses: Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive, Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive, Data Science, Online Cybersecurity Analytics, Online Data Science, Online Software Engineering, Product Design (UX/UI), +1 more.
Software Engineering

Online, NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco, +1 more.
Denver.

About Flatiron School

Founded in 2012 and started the bootcamp revolution, Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity analytics, cybersecurity engineering, and product design that trains passionate people... Read More

To apply, submit your application and share a bit about yourself and what's driving you to start a career. During the application process, you will speak with an Admissions representative in a non-technical interview to allow for the opportunity to get to know each other better in a friendly conversation. You will also need to complete a 15-minute critical thinking and problem-solving assessment afterwards.

You will receive your acceptance decision from Admissions within 4 business days of completing the assessment.

Students benefit from:
- Proven Career-Services Framework
- Robust Industry-Aligned Curriculum
- Career Building Portfolio
- Dedicated 1:1 Career-Coaching
- The Support of Passionate Instructors, Coaches and Community

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry and a pioneer in providing 3rd party examined job placement reports.

Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Classroom Hours Per Week: 40.0

Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

• Cost: $18,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.

Some knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program

Tuition: DC $18,000, NYC $20,000

Classroom Hours Per Week: 40.0

Data Science

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist - which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Over 15 challenging weeks at Flatiron School’s campus, students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. The course covers Python, SQL, Pandas, Data Visualization, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, and more. Flatiron School's pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but also the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

By the end of the course, students will have learned in-demand technical skills they need to be no-brainer tech hires, and how to demonstrate those skills through advanced portfolio projects, robust technical blogs, and active Github profiles. Many Flatiron graduates have gone on to pursue roles as data scientists, data engineers, machine learning engineers, deep learning engineers, and back-end engineers. Post graduation, alumni continue to work with Flatiron School career coaches throughout their job search and have access to a network of employer partners and over 1500+ alumni.

No previous coding experience is required, but Flatiron School encourages all applicants to start learning through the free Coding Bootcamp Prep course. All students apply through a standardized process, including a written application, admissions interview, and technical review.

Subjects: Python, Data Analytics, SQL

Online Cybersecurity Analytics

Locations: Online

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Online Data Science

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

Subjects: Python, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, SQL, Data Visualization, Data Science, Pandas

Online Software Engineering

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of the Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, the Flatiron team carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. Students will learn Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more!

By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action.

Post graduation, Flatiron School's dedicated career coaches provide 1:1 mentoring to every graduate, including resume reviews, mock interviews, and proven strategies for building a job opportunity pipeline. Graduates will also have access to a network of employer partners, and tap into the network of 1500+ alumni.

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, AngularJS, JavaScript

Product Design (UX/UI)

Locations: Online

Our Product Design bootcamp teaches you the in-demand UX/UI skills necessary to launch a career in product design. Reinvent your future in product design. Our product design course teaches you the UX/UI processes that shape products and, how to collaborate with developers, designers, and other stakeholders to communicate a product vision that serves both the end-user and the business — the cornerstone of good design. You will learn by doing, through multiple projects and a case study, you will build a visual portfolio utilizing the latest technology and tools. This portfolio will help position you for job seeking success post-graduation.

Subjects: UI Design, UX Design

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, NYC, Washington D.C., Houston

Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology.

The course covers Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.

Tuition varies based on campus locations:
Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000

4.66/5

7/12/2020
  • NURAN KAIRAKBAYEV | Finance/Data Analyst
  • Graduated: 2020

"Self paced Data Science course"

I started my Data Science program in 2019 in self-paced format and graduated in 2020.
The self paced format is advantageous in that it allows me to determine the schedule and intensity of training that suited me.
I must say that Flatiron School is very... Read More

6/29/2020
  • Jenny Kreiger | Data Scientist
  • Graduated: 2020

"Awesome option for a career-changer"

Overall, I had a fantastic experience with Flatiron School. The program enabled me to get a data science job that ticked all my boxes. I was able to make a dramatic career transition (during a pandemic, no less!) from academia/non-profits to tech thanks... Read More

Background: When I was applying to bootcamps, I already had a PhD (in a humanities discipline) and lots of data science and programming tutorials under my belt. I chose Flatiron School because the curriculum looked good, the program was only 5 months when done full-time, and they offered an income share agreement as a payment option.

Getting in: First I had a call with a representative to assess my interest and experience in data science. Then I got access to some preparatory materials that included basic Python and a little bit of calculus. Once these were done, I had a technical interview with a Flatiron School instructor, consisting of a few basic programming questions and a conversation about some math/calculus concepts. The preparatory materials were enough to help me be ready for this interview, but the real point of the interview is to assess whether you can learn quickly and take feedback/correction well. After this, I was accepted to the program and chose my start date.

The program: For the duration of the program, I had one instructor, an "educational coach" (to help with motivation, study skills, etc.) and a cohort of fellow bootcampers. We spent four hours per week in live lecture/office hours, and I had two half-hour one-on-ones with my instructor each week, too. My cohort had its own Slack channel where we could ask the instructor or each other questions and do daily standups. Here's a list of topics we covered (not exhaustive):

General Python programming, with particular focus on NumPy, Pandas, and Matplotlib
Git, GitHub, and principles of version control
Basics of data visualization
Regression (linear, logistic, multiple linear, polynomial, etc.)
SQL and general principles of database design
Basics of object-oriented programming
APIs, web scraping, and working with JSON files
A broad survey of statistical topics, including combinatorics, permutations, distributions, central limit theorem, hypothesis testing, and Bayesian stats
Time series analysis
Basics of linear algebra
Survey of machine learning algorithms and techniques, including k nearest neighbors, decision trees, random forests and other ensemble methods, support vector machines, PCA, k means, and recommendation systems
A little introduction to Spark via PySpark
Basics of graph theory/network analysis
Basics of NLP
Survey of deep learning topics, including RNNs, CNNs, and transfer learning
A little intro to AWS and how to deploy a machine learning algorithm into production.

Near the end of the program, I also got access to a career prep curriculum, which contained readings and exercises relating to résumés, LinkedIn, networking, building a professional web presence, etc. Flatiron School recently added a post-bootcamp curriculum of extra stuff to study while job-searching, including more work with SQL, and intro to R, and some guidelines for making your projects look better on GitHub. I'm really glad they created these additional resources, since these are things I went out and studied on my own because they were important for my job search. Flatiron is constantly updating the curriculum, and students are welcome to submit suggestions or corrections to be addressed by the curriculum team.

An average day of bootcamp involved a lot of independent reading and work on the labs provided in the curriculum, interrupted by a lecture/group meeting with instructor and classmates to go over the material assigned for that day. This format was great for me because I learn better when I can focus on something on my own for a while and then have a chance to ask my questions and hear other people's questions, too. Each day's meeting covered a certain chunk of the curriculum, but there was a lot of flexibility to work ahead or take more time on something if I wanted. Although you could always spend more time on things, I found it was possible to complete each week's material to my own satisfaction in 40-45 hours on average.

Overall, the curriculum prepared me well for my job search. The projects I built during bootcamp were of a high enough quality that I could present them during job interviews. The capstone project is totally open-ended, so you can design it to show off skills relevant to the types of jobs that appeal to you. For each project, I had to do both a non-technical presentation and a code review with my instructor, and these experiences were extremely helpful once I started looking for a job. This is definitely one of the reasons to do a bootcamp rather than just studying on one's own. If someone I knew were looking for a bootcamp today, I would tell them to ask whether a program includes this kind of project work, since it's the best way to prepare for/show that you're prepared for real data science work.

Career services: My experience with career services at Flatiron definitely made the program worth the cost. As soon as I graduated, I started working with a career coach who helped me with my résumé, mock interviews, web presence, and general job search strategy. My coach was amazing, especially at keeping me motivated when the pandemic brought my job search to a screeching halt. It was really helpful to have someone to talk to each week about my job search, and she was super responsive to any questions I had about how to respond to e-mails, networking tactics, etc.

Highlights: The best parts of the bootcamp for me were my instructor, my career coach, and the projects I built.

Improvements: I would have liked to see a little more space in the curriculum given to ethics, maybe some case studies about practical applications of data ethics. There was a brief overview of data ethics in theory ("Hey, you should only make ethical use of people's personal information! There is bias in AI!"), but since this is an issue that affects all aspects of data science, it would be good to give it a little more weight.

6/7/2020
  • Justin Davis | Integration Engineer

"Compassionate Support"

I graduated from the online self-paced software engineering program. To me, Flatiron's strength is its support structure. The school bends over backwards to provide multiple channels of support. I was originally slated to join the in person program in... Read More

5/22/2020
  • Ahmed Abououf | Software engineer

"Not recommended at all"

I am a free lancer with top rated account in UPWORK. I know java, Javascript and VBA. I joined FLatiron School to expand my experience. I completed the online programming course except last module and here is my comments: 1- The administration is very... Read More

Official Response from Flatiron School

Hi Ahmed - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our goal is to provide each of our students with the skills and career support they need to succeed in their professional transition. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not... Read More

We're incredibly proud of our curriculum, our community, and our jobs placements, but are always striving to make Flatiron School even better. As we do, we'll be referring to this feedback. If you'd like to speak directly or in any more detail, please always feel free to e-mail me directly at rebekah@flatironschool.com

5/18/2020
  • Jeremy R
  • Software Engineering
  • Graduated: 2020

"They can't get their act together."

Long story short, FlatIron acquired SecureSet. SecureSet strung me along for a year on this new online cybersecurity program, that never happened. They ended up closing their doors in Tampa two months after I made the commitment to quit my job and attend... Read More

(I did not attend but I had to select answers to the questions below in order to submit my review).

5/1/2020
  • Online UX/UI Design
  • Graduated: 2020

"UX Ui design course Cancelled."

I was looking forward to starting my cohort May 4th 2020 but due to some unfortunate events at FLATIRON they cancelled the full course for UI/UX design. It is fully cancelled even on the the website, UI/Ux who? it’s not even there so don’t waste your... Read More

4/2/2020
  • Kyle
  • Data Science
  • Graduated: 2019

"Was fully delivered what was promised. Very happy with experience."

I completed the data science course all my classmates had strong professional or academic credentials. Instructors were Joe, Sean, and Fangfang. All were extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and had real world experience. I left with all the skills of a... Read More

4/2/2020
  • Graduated: 2020

"Don't do the Data Science one"

The instructor was great, and I like the learning platform- the being able to scroll through text rather than watch hours of video content, and still have a real person to chat with for questions and clarification. The curriculum is mostly good, but I... Read More

3/12/2020
  • Fernando
  • Graduated: 2020

"Best Bootcamp to Transition into Data Science"

I had a fantastic experience at Flatiron that ended up in me receiving two job offers two days apart, a month after my graduation! They provide the necessary structure and resources to ensure your success in this field. I agree with some reviews that... Read More

12/24/2019
  • Matthew Serre
  • Online Software Engineering
  • Graduated: 2019

"Instant Success with Flatiron"

Flatiron was great for me. Because it is self-paced, the online program allowed me to start slow while I was working full time and ramp up once I resigned from my job to focus on the program. Every person I encountered from instructors to coaches to fellow... Read More

Flatiron School's average rating is 4.66 out of 5.0 based on 255 review(s).