Flatiron School

Courses: Coding Bootcamp Prep, Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive, Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive, Data Science, Data Science Prep, Hacking 101: Intro to Cybersecurity, Online Cybersecurity Analytics, +3 more.
Online Data Science, Online Software Engineering, Software Engineering

Online, NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco, +1 more.
Denver.

About Flatiron School

Founded in 2012 and started the bootcamp revolution, Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs that train passionate people to excel in fulfilling careers in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity analytics and cybersecurity... Read More

Students benefit from:
- The Support of Passionate Instructors, Coaches and Community

Coding Bootcamp Prep

• Duration: 1 week
Locations: Online

Flatiron's free Coding Bootcamp Prep course teaches you programming fundamentals in both JavaScript and Ruby. Start learning to code today with the comprehensive online coding bootcamp - 75+ hours of HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Ruby lessons.

Complete with projects that help you build your code portfolio, real time collaborative tools that connect you with fellow students and instructors, and on-demand support from our technical coaches, Flatiron's prep course is the most supportive and comprehensive way to begin learning to code – offering a true glimpse into the skills and proficiencies you’ll need to become a professional software developer.

Learn.co, the proprietary learning platform that powers Flatiron’s free coding bootcamp, is the world’s most sophisticated product for learning code. Students on Learn.co interact with a worldwide community of students and instructors and harness real developer tools to truly learn by doing.

Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

• Cost: $18,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.

Some knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program

Tuition: DC $18,000, NYC $20,000

Data Science

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist - which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Over 15 challenging weeks at Flatiron School’s campus, students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. The course covers Python, SQL, Pandas, Data Visualization, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, and more. Flatiron School's pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but also the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

By the end of the course, students will have learned in-demand technical skills they need to be no-brainer tech hires, and how to demonstrate those skills through advanced portfolio projects, robust technical blogs, and active Github profiles. Many Flatiron graduates have gone on to pursue roles as data scientists, data engineers, machine learning engineers, deep learning engineers, and back-end engineers. Post graduation, alumni continue to work with Flatiron School career coaches throughout their job search and have access to a network of employer partners and over 1500+ alumni.

No previous coding experience is required, but Flatiron School encourages all applicants to start learning through the free Coding Bootcamp Prep course. All students apply through a standardized process, including a written application, admissions interview, and technical review.

Subjects: Python, Data Analytics, SQL

Data Science Prep

• Duration: 1 week
Locations: Online

In this free data science online course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of Python and be introduced to Machine Learning. Our course provides a thorough data science tutorial, covering the basic principles of data science so you can be ready to apply to the most selective data science bootcamps in the country.

Subjects: Data Science

Hacking 101: Intro to Cybersecurity

Locations: Online

Learners who want to dig into the basics of cybersecurity, including how virtualization works, can get started with Flatiron School’s free prep course, Hacking 101: Intro to Cybersecurity, to get a look at some of the topics and exercises cybersecurity analysts work with every day.

Online Cybersecurity Analytics

Locations: Online

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Online Data Science

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

Subjects: Python, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, SQL, Data Visualization, Pandas

Online Software Engineering

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of the Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, the Flatiron team carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. Students will learn Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more!

By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action.

Post graduation, Flatiron School's dedicated career coaches provide 1:1 mentoring to every graduate, including resume reviews, mock interviews, and proven strategies for building a job opportunity pipeline. Graduates will also have access to a network of employer partners, and tap into the network of 1500+ alumni.

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, AngularJS, JavaScript

Software Engineering

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, NYC, Washington D.C., Houston

Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology.

The course covers Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.

Tuition varies based on campus locations:
Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000

Overall

4.68/5

5/20/2019
  • Graduated: 2019

"Learning but definitely feeling scammed"

Note: I am still doing the course so I do not feel like I can give a review of the job search help they do provide. I will come back to edit this when I have completed the course.

PROS:
+ Fairly well rounded curriculum
+ Material is covered quickly enough... Read More

CONS:
- Badly organised
- Some advertised things were not really kept to
- Course material is lacking in a few significant areas
- Course material is really badly written. Never-ending typos, serious mistakes, bad explanations, weird learning route, and some incorrect solutions and examples. Also the easiest stuff is covered too often and the important stuff is insufficiently covered. Also one or two modules involve watching a lot of freely available youtube videos.
- Daily tutorials feel unnecessary and not that helpful

Overall:
I left a good job to enter Data Science and felt a bootcamp would be best for me. I knew people who had gone through Flatiron's Software Development programme with much success so was happy to go into their new data science course. I have some experience with mathsy stuff given my undergrad major and high school work. I am finding this course to be very disappointing and feel very mislead. The course price is just as much as the Software Development one and yet this one seems pretty shitty. Clearly nobody even checked the course material before it was shown to by now hundreds of students. WTF. Instructors say they are working on it and that "it was written by PhDs!" but those must be the worst doctors I know. If I had known how it was going to be going in I would have tried to teach myself with all the free stuff one can find online nowadays and saved myself a lot of time and money. Unfortunately I am caught up in the course curriculum and might still end up paying to see the end of it (if I do not quit first). I encourage anyone considering this course to look up other bootcamps such as General Assembly to see if theirs are any good. If they feel up to it they could alternatively try teaching themselves. If somebody from Flatiron is reading this I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

4/30/2019
  • Emily Nielsen | Process Automation Engineer at American Express
  • Software Engineering Immersive
  • Graduated: 2018

"Flatiron helped me get a 60% pay increase!"

My situation was a little unique in that I was living and working in DC, but knew I was going to move to Miami soon to be with my new husband. I decided to quit my job, do the in-person immersive program, and then move to Miami and search for jobs there,... Read More

I definitely recommend going into it for the right reasons. Try something technical and see how you like it. Before I applied, I tried Flatiron's free online bootcamp prep course, which is how I discovered I really liked learning about code. Something employers look for is passion for code, so it's important to actually like coding before you start.

During the program: the experience was really amazing. I bonded really well with my cohort (50% male/ 50% female) and got a scholarship for women in tech. The instructors were very understanding, knowledgeable, and always wiling to help and mentor students. They all come from tech backgrounds, so they can tell you what it's like in the industry too. We learned Ruby as a backend language, and JavaScript and React on the frontend. This enabled me to get a freelance job working on the React frontend of a cancer research website. I've found that compared to people who studied CompSci in college, we got a TON of hands-on experience and importantly, we learned how to learn a new language. Both of these skills made me very marketable when it came to the job search.

After the program: The career coaches are very knowledgeable, encouraging, and keep you accountable in your job search. Since I was job searching in a new city, my career coach was a huge resource suggesting lots of job search activities.

Overall, a great experience and the results speak for themselves!

4/29/2019
  • Jessie Huff | Software Engineer

"Excellent Experience"

I did the online Full Stack Web Development program at the Flatiron School, and like any online program, it had its positives and negatives. On the positive side, I do think that the school and the instructors genuinely care about the students and helping... Read More

However, like other students have already said, it is what you make of it, especially with online programs. It is self taught and self led so that has its own set of challenges. You definitely have to be self motivated so if that is something that you struggle with, you may want to do an in-person class setting. Another area of weakness they had was support for the projects which I've actually talked with them about in trying to improve for the future. When I went through the program, there was only one instructor for each section project so one person had to handle anyone who was currently working on that project which made it nearly impossible to get much help from them during the project. Some instructors were extremely helpful, and I had one that was borderline nonexistent in terms of responsiveness. Hopefully they'll fix that in the future and make it a little easier to get help when that channel fails during projects. There were study groups that we could attend, but they were meant to be led by students' questions and sometimes that was a struggle (sometimes we didn't know what questions to ask- we just weren't as comfortable with that particularly subject material). I do think they've been extremely open to feedback though, and I've had multiple people talk to me about how they can improve and how Flatiron can improve.

In terms of after the course, I thought my career coach was excellent. The coaching I got completely changed my perspective on networking, and I just had a coworker call me a "master networker" because of the things I did with Flatiron after graduation. I was always open with my coach about the ups and downs of job hunting, and I really feel like I was given the push I needed to put in the work and find an absolutely incredible job. (They also helped me draft anything I was nervous about sending ahead of time, and they help you practice with mock interviews.) Some days I can't believe that I work where I do, and I wouldn't be here without Flatiron so I'm pretty grateful. I don't know if you'd get quite as lucky as I did with my awesome career coach, but when my first coach ended up leaving (her husband got a job across the country), my next coach was just as great so I'm pretty confident that they have incredible career coaches if you're willing to work with them and be open.

Overall, the program has its ups and downs, but it led me to where I am now, so for that, I'm really grateful that I went to the Flatiron School.

4/25/2019
  • Anonymous | Data Insights Consultant
  • Data Science Immersive
  • Graduated: 2018

"Flatiron Data Science Immersive"

My cohort was one of the beginning cohorts for the new data science program at flatiron. The structure of the program was lacking, but the content wasn't. We learned so much in a short amount of time. I was able to get exposed to the field of data science... Read More

4/24/2019
  • Anonymous | Data Scientist, Intern
  • Graduated: 2018

"Solid, basic overview of data science"

Prior to enrolling in Flatiron School's Online Data Science Bootcamp, I had been studying data science on my own for some time. I used other online resources studying R, but it was difficult to know what I should be learning. Sometimes I would go too... Read More

PROS:
+ You learn how to implement an algorithm on your own from scratch in Python before they introduce you to professional implementations. This really helps you understand the underlying mechanisms and what's going on, instead of just plugging things in
+ Instructor support was always available whenever I needed it in dedicated Slack channels
+ Portfolio reviews for the non-technical business stakeholders provided valuable experience in learning how to communicate to people outside of the data science field
+ Provided a pretty comprehensive overview of data science skills
+ End-of-module projects were great for building up a portfolio
+ Career coach was great and provided lots of great feedback on my resume and interviewing

CONS:
- A lot of typos and grammatical errors in the lessons which made it difficult to understand sometimes
- The platform would break sometimes, but this was only a minor inconvenience, because you could always access it from Github
- The technical review for portfolio projects wasn't as rigorous as I thought it would be, and I was rarely asked to justify and explain my choices
- Not as much content for more advanced data science/machine learning concepts compared to the first few modules, where it was much more detailed and comprehensive

During the last month, I also began looking for jobs on my own and approximately two weeks after I graduated, I received an Data Scientist internship at a fintech.

3/18/2019
  • Graduated: 2019

"Online DS Full time"

This is a review for the online Data Science bootcamp full time. The admission process was fairly easy; first, a video chat with someone from admissions and enrollments and then a technical interview, for this second interview they assume you have already... Read More

PROS
- A lot of material and resources, they do a good job putting together all related topics.
- The platform is easy to navigate.
- Instructors and coaches are nice.
- WeWork hotdesk membership for one year.
- Good education coaches.
CONS
- Almost every single notebook has misspellings, incomplete or poorly redacted paragraphs.
- Some lab solutions are completely wrong.
- No feedback on labs as they don’t get reviewed.
- You learn online but you learn alone.
- No information if a project is passed or not.
- Career services are not a staffing company; they just ask you to apply yourself for as many jobs as you find.

In conclusion, be prepared as you will go through probably 2 years of college in 5 months + one month for the capstone project.

Official Response from Flatiron School

Hi there!

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like your experience was different from what you expected and certainly different from how we want Flatiron School to feel. I've shared your perspective with our Data Science team.

For the curriculum, we... Read More

Please feel free to contact me directly with additional feedback or questions - I'm at rebekah@flatironschool.com

Rebekah Rombom
GM, Online Programs
Flatiron School

3/8/2019
  • Graduated: 2018

"Don't take this if you're not living in NY or DC"

I did the online Full-Stack Web Development course. During my time in the course, I thought I was doing a good job. I was getting great feedback on all of my projects and was told I was moving along at a good pace. All my issues really started around... Read More

However, I am still unbelievably disappointed with the quality of career services. Before I finished FlatIron, I told my career coach that I was moving to Los Angeles and would only be looking for jobs on the West Coast. Despite emphasizing this to my career coach multiple times, every meeting I had with her began with her saying, "oh! I didn't know you were moving to LA" or "so at what point do you think you'll move back East? We've got some career fairs in New York or DC with companies that would like to hire our grads on the spot!" Basically...DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE UNLESS YOU INTEND ON LIVING / WORKING IN NY or DC. Maybe this is obvious to most people because their main campuses are in DC and NY, however, if you're attracted to FlatIron School because of their high reviews on websites like this one, know that its for the in-person NY program where the overwhelming majority of students work in NY after. Based off of some other reviews I've read from people outside the Northeast, I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment.

2/21/2019
  • Data Science Immersive
  • Graduated: 2018

"Disappointing Data Science Immersive - Poor Instructors and Incomplete Curriculum"

Participated in the first Data Science cohort. It started off strong, but quickly fell apart after the first module, when the material shifted from standard coding techniques that were adapted from the webdev course to more data/math focused topics. Our... Read More

The career guidance was misleading, we were told our guidance counselor would be randomly selected, yet 10 of 12 students received the same coach. The career team always seemed like they placed their personal interests ahead of mine.

I enjoyed the culture of Flatiron School, and have nothing but the best to say about my classmates. I feel like the program was rushed, misleadingly advertised, and did not really prepare me for a job in Data Science.

As an aside, I recommend actually sifting through these reviews before signing up - many of them are from people who have only completed the free bootcamp prep. I was asked to write a review before starting the class but refused because I thought that was misleading.

2/16/2019
  • Anonymous | Software Engineer
  • Software Engineering Immersive
  • Graduated: 2018

"Life Changing Experience to become a Software Engineer!"

Flatiron School was a once in a lifetime experience that changed my life. I challenged myself everyday and met a ton of ambitious and intelligent individuals (instructors, mentors and classmates) who I now call friends and most importantly, I walked away... Read More

I WORKED EXTREMELY HARD AND WAS CHALLENGED!!!

On average, I spent 10–16 hours a day (~75–80 hours/week, including weekends) dedicated to code. I sat in lectures, watched lecture videos and programming videos, worked on labs, wrote blog posts, and built my own projects. Many times during the week I still found myself on campus past 12AM and during the final weeks of Flatiron School in building my final portfolio project, I still found myself on campus past 2AM especially on the weekends. And honestly the only reason why I didn’t stay later was the support of my family, friends and instructors who requested that I take care of my health and not burn out (seriously take care of your health…). But when I got home, I still wrote code. Truth be told, no one should ever tell you that programming is easy because it isn’t. It’s very invigorating and challenging; like really hard. It’s mind-bending work and you constantly have to hold a million different puzzle pieces in your brain in order to solve the problem. There will be days where I go to bed thinking about how to solve the problem and feeling defeated while other days where I felt like I was the champion of the world. Programming, with its instant feedback loop, will constantly play with your emotions. But when things click and you “figure” it out, you will feel a sense of accomplishment like no other. It really is ADDICTING.

The instructors at Flatiron School were all absolutely phenomenal; highly intelligent, humble and experienced individuals who genuinely want you to succeed and do well. Up to this day they still reach out to me and check up on me to make sure that I am doing well and very excited for me when I chose the software engineer role that I wanted.

The career services at Flatiron School stand out among any other Bootcamps in the world and work hard to get you leads and interviews and the job that you want!

2/16/2019
  • Mikkel Ridley | Tech Support Manager
  • Graduated: 2018

"Part-Time Online course not as flexible as they make it out to be"

TLDR: The curriculum is excellent, but their website makes it seem like they will work with _any_ schedule for the part time online bootcamp, and that's simply not the case.

Pros:
- Great curriculum and materials - I learned a ton!
- Really nice platform.... Read More

Cons:
- Not the exact tech stack I was hoping to learn (yes, I know this is a bit nitpicky, but we are talking about spending twenty thousand dollars here).
- I live and work a full time job on the West Coast, and the school is located on the East Coast, as are, apparently, all of the staff. You are required to attend most of the live events in order to graduate. I told every single staff member I interacted with in what time zone I am located (PST), and what my work schedule was (standard 9-5 M-F with a one hour commute each way), but they scheduled literally every single event while I was still at work or commuting home, including the weekly one-on-one 'mentor' sessions.
- When I kept repeating that the times don't work for me, a frequent suggestion was "do it during your lunch break." I'm paying over grand per month, but you don't have any staff that can end their week on Saturday or start their week on Sunday?
- I tried it out for a few weeks, but I just ended up feeling stressed out trying to meet the
- It was only after I requested withdrawal from the course that suddenly they seemed really "flexible."

I ended up withdrawing from the course for the reasons stated above.
I would gladly attend again if they offered courses where all the (required) live sessions were scheduled on weekends.

As a last note, they had just been bought out by WeWork, so may have been undergoing some structural/staffing changes behind the scenes I was unaware of during this time.

Flatiron School's average rating is 4.68 out of 5.0 based on 250 review(s).