Flatiron School

Courses: Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive, Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive, Data Science, Online Cybersecurity Analytics, Online Data Science, Online Software Engineering, Product Design (UX/UI), +1 more.
Software Engineering

Online, NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco, +1 more.
Denver.

About Flatiron School

Founded in 2012 and started the bootcamp revolution, Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity analytics, cybersecurity engineering, and product design that trains passionate people... Read More

To apply, submit your application and share a bit about yourself and what's driving you to start a career. During the application process, you will speak with an Admissions representative in a non-technical interview to allow for the opportunity to get to know each other better in a friendly conversation. You will also need to complete a 15-minute critical thinking and problem-solving assessment afterwards.

You will receive your acceptance decision from Admissions within 4 business days of completing the assessment.

Students benefit from:
- Proven Career-Services Framework
- Robust Industry-Aligned Curriculum
- Career Building Portfolio
- Dedicated 1:1 Career-Coaching
- The Support of Passionate Instructors, Coaches and Community

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry and a pioneer in providing 3rd party examined job placement reports.

Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Classroom Hours Per Week: 40.0

Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

• Cost: $18,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.

Some knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program

Tuition: DC $18,000, NYC $20,000

Classroom Hours Per Week: 40.0

Data Science

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist - which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Over 15 challenging weeks at Flatiron School’s campus, students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. The course covers Python, SQL, Pandas, Data Visualization, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, and more. Flatiron School's pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but also the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

By the end of the course, students will have learned in-demand technical skills they need to be no-brainer tech hires, and how to demonstrate those skills through advanced portfolio projects, robust technical blogs, and active Github profiles. Many Flatiron graduates have gone on to pursue roles as data scientists, data engineers, machine learning engineers, deep learning engineers, and back-end engineers. Post graduation, alumni continue to work with Flatiron School career coaches throughout their job search and have access to a network of employer partners and over 1500+ alumni.

No previous coding experience is required, but Flatiron School encourages all applicants to start learning through the free Coding Bootcamp Prep course. All students apply through a standardized process, including a written application, admissions interview, and technical review.

Subjects: Python, Data Analytics, SQL

Online Cybersecurity Analytics

Locations: Online

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Online Data Science

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

Subjects: Python, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, SQL, Data Visualization, Data Science, Pandas

Online Software Engineering

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of the Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, the Flatiron team carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. Students will learn Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more!

By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action.

Post graduation, Flatiron School's dedicated career coaches provide 1:1 mentoring to every graduate, including resume reviews, mock interviews, and proven strategies for building a job opportunity pipeline. Graduates will also have access to a network of employer partners, and tap into the network of 1500+ alumni.

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, AngularJS, JavaScript

Product Design (UX/UI)

Locations: Online

Our Product Design bootcamp teaches you the in-demand UX/UI skills necessary to launch a career in product design. Reinvent your future in product design. Our product design course teaches you the UX/UI processes that shape products and, how to collaborate with developers, designers, and other stakeholders to communicate a product vision that serves both the end-user and the business — the cornerstone of good design. You will learn by doing, through multiple projects and a case study, you will build a visual portfolio utilizing the latest technology and tools. This portfolio will help position you for job seeking success post-graduation.

Subjects: UI Design, UX Design

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, NYC, Washington D.C., Houston

Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology.

The course covers Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.

Tuition varies based on campus locations:
Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000

4.66/5

2/23/2016
  • Roberto
  • Graduated: 2015

"Solid institution, solid program."

For me, choosing a program to get into web dev came down to these factors: credibility, quality, cost. Here is what I found.

Credibility:

The first factor was easy to tackle. If you go to learn.co you can read the jobs report. It’s an independently audited... Read More

Now take it from me. This is a great program.

One of my former colleagues joined another popular program (without me knowing, or I would have persuaded her otherwise) and is now hoping that she can find a job. I, however know that the school’s reputation is on the line over me. They very publicly advertise their audited placement rates.

Quality:

The curriculum is based on the in-person program. So, not only are the instructors good at coding, the actual material has has proven itself several times (results seen in jobs report). Not just that, but there is material that is not included in the in-person program. You are simply exposed to more content, and one could argue that this will make you a stronger job candidate.

What’s more, I encourage you to actually do the free coursework. It will only cost a little of your time, but you can see what the program is all about and why students are so addicted. Yes, I said addicted.

A note here on quality. The Flatiron School selects students in what I consider a unique fashion. There are people in the program who have tech backgrounds, have worked with big data, or majored in math, and there are artists, writers, comedians, etc. I say this because the curriculum is extremely accessible. Everyone can get through it, and everyone becomes stronger from it. This is largely due to the content and the format, but also due to the community. At the end of the day, despite their different backgrounds, everyone I have come into contact with loves the program.

Cost/Pace:

You go at your own pace. If you finish in 4 months, good for you. If you finish in 8, fantastic. For the most part people don’t pull out their rulers and start comparing. And why should you? However everyone’s budget is always at the back of their mind.

The team recently launched a second version for $500 instead of $1000 per month. The $500 version is just the Premium version with some support services stripped away. I am glad to be in the Premium version because it suites my needs, and I budgeted for it. However, the basic version students are by no means treated any differently in the community. Honestly most of us don’t know (or care) who is in which plan.

Added bonus: Community

This is a big one. Communities are not perfect. Anywhere. But having been on several on-line learning platforms before, and having worked in education, I can say that the community that is cultured here is very supportive and open. Whether you are outgoing or reserved, you can find a place here. There are virtually no rules to follow though. It just seems to be a product of the people who are admitted, and of course the tone set by the community leaders.

10/1/2015
  • Graduated: 2015

"The Job Report Reflects the Flatiron of 2014 not 2015. That said, excellent education"

The education is likely better than ever. The curriculum is well-engineered, there are many TAs available, and there is tremendous community support.

That said, I invested in Flatiron School, rather than Full Stack or DBC or Metis, because of the jobs... Read More

I'm satisfied with my 15k investment, generally. But perhaps I would have chosen a less expensive bootcamp had I known that the average earnings were just that-- average. I suspect this is due to an increasing saturation of bootcamp grads and/or the Placements team's increasing role in making connections rather than Avi.

9/20/2014
  • Ian Miller
  • Graduated: 2014

"Flatiron School has been one of the best investments I have ever made"

Hello! I am a graduate and I am also currently employed as an Instructor at the Flatiron School as well, so I am one of several that has experienced Flatiron School from both a student perspective and an instructor perspective.

Why Flatiron School?
I applied... Read More

Programming
Yes, the objective of Flatiron School is to teach its students how to code, and how to code well. But that's not what makes Flatiron School succeed. It's the ability of the admissions team and its teachers to provide a rich, diverse community in which students push each other to succeed through collaboration and support. As a result of this, students learn programming by communicating with each other while working on projects, and ultimately creating a rich ecosystem of knowledge that iteratively builds upon itself, week after week throughout the semester.

New York Tech Community
Flatiron School has benefitted a lot by simply being part of the New York tech community, and has given back to the community as well. That's the primary ethos of Flatiron School. Its defining quality is community, and it hosts meetups and events every week, such as NYC on Rails, iOS Devs Meetup, Manhattan.js, and Flatiron Presents (student presentations). The diversity of its graduates that go forth into the New York tech community is something that sets Flatiron School apart from its peers; at least 40% of accepted students are female.

In Closing...
Flatiron School has been one of the best investments I have ever made. I say this not from a financial perspective, but rather from a career and motivational perspective. In my previous jobs prior to attending Flatiron School, my imagination and motivational drive was starting to wane, and I started to see things in a greyish hue. As the weeks progressed during my time at Flatiron School, my burgeoning skill-set started to show me what was possible. Coding is not a means to an end in itself, but rather it's the gateway that makes everything else attainable. Being able to build a software tool or product or whatever you may call it allows you come extremely close to having a profound effect on the things you care about. Making life more colorful and vibrant again. After all, isn't that the point of education? It is meant to bridge the gap between your dreams and reality. I didn't find that in high school or college. I found that at Flatiron. And as a teacher, that's what I strive to impart to our students every day.

9/20/2014
  • Graduated: 2014

"I could probably write a dissertation on how much I loved my time at Flatiron School"

I could probably write a dissertation on how much I loved my time at Flatiron School, but I will try to keep this short-ish.

The practical stuff: They take you from 0 (and I really mean no coding experience whatsoever) to equipped to land your first Junior... Read More

To back that up - I am a music school grad with no experience writing code outside of basic HTML. The program was incredibly challenging and I struggled through most of it, but came out the other side confident in my ability to get a job and continue the learning process. I took a 6 month (paid) apprenticeship that has since turned into a full-time job. I've almost doubled my salary in less than a year. To put that in different terms, my return on investment was a little more than three times the tuition for Flatiron School in seven months.

The other stuff: I've always been a good student and I've always hated school. Sitting in Avi's class was the first time that I found myself enjoying lectures. He has an ability to read his students -- he seemed to know when to push forward and when to back up a bit so that we weren't lost despite the complexity of the topics. We spent more than half the program learning pure Ruby and overarching programming concepts that help me a great deal in my day-to-day. The TAs are passionate about teaching and form real relationships with the students. Everyone there is invested in the growth and future of each student.

Flatiron is not just a programming bootcamp, it's a community, and an immensely supportive one at that. My time there was life-changing.

6/15/2014
  • Samuel Owens

A wonderful experience. They teach how to code and so much more. Wonderful staff and an amazing group of students.

Flatiron School's average rating is 4.66 out of 5.0 based on 255 review(s).