Flatiron School

Courses: Coding Bootcamp Prep, Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive, Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive, Data Science, Data Science Prep, Hacking 101: Intro to Cybersecurity, Online Cybersecurity Analytics, +3 more.
Online Data Science, Online Software Engineering, Software Engineering

Online, NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco, +1 more.
Denver.

About Flatiron School

Founded in 2012 and started the bootcamp revolution, Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs that train passionate people to excel in fulfilling careers in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity analytics and cybersecurity... Read More

Students benefit from:
- The Support of Passionate Instructors, Coaches and Community

Coding Bootcamp Prep

• Duration: 1 week
Locations: Online

Flatiron's free Coding Bootcamp Prep course teaches you programming fundamentals in both JavaScript and Ruby. Start learning to code today with the comprehensive online coding bootcamp - 75+ hours of HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Ruby lessons.

Complete with projects that help you build your code portfolio, real time collaborative tools that connect you with fellow students and instructors, and on-demand support from our technical coaches, Flatiron's prep course is the most supportive and comprehensive way to begin learning to code – offering a true glimpse into the skills and proficiencies you’ll need to become a professional software developer.

Learn.co, the proprietary learning platform that powers Flatiron’s free coding bootcamp, is the world’s most sophisticated product for learning code. Students on Learn.co interact with a worldwide community of students and instructors and harness real developer tools to truly learn by doing.

Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

• Cost: $18,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C.

Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.

Some knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program

Tuition: DC $18,000, NYC $20,000

Data Science

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist - which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Over 15 challenging weeks at Flatiron School’s campus, students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. The course covers Python, SQL, Pandas, Data Visualization, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, and more. Flatiron School's pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but also the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

By the end of the course, students will have learned in-demand technical skills they need to be no-brainer tech hires, and how to demonstrate those skills through advanced portfolio projects, robust technical blogs, and active Github profiles. Many Flatiron graduates have gone on to pursue roles as data scientists, data engineers, machine learning engineers, deep learning engineers, and back-end engineers. Post graduation, alumni continue to work with Flatiron School career coaches throughout their job search and have access to a network of employer partners and over 1500+ alumni.

No previous coding experience is required, but Flatiron School encourages all applicants to start learning through the free Coding Bootcamp Prep course. All students apply through a standardized process, including a written application, admissions interview, and technical review.

Subjects: Python, Data Analytics, SQL

Data Science Prep

• Duration: 1 week
Locations: Online

In this free data science online course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of Python and be introduced to Machine Learning. Our course provides a thorough data science tutorial, covering the basic principles of data science so you can be ready to apply to the most selective data science bootcamps in the country.

Subjects: Data Science

Hacking 101: Intro to Cybersecurity

Locations: Online

Learners who want to dig into the basics of cybersecurity, including how virtualization works, can get started with Flatiron School’s free prep course, Hacking 101: Intro to Cybersecurity, to get a look at some of the topics and exercises cybersecurity analysts work with every day.

Online Cybersecurity Analytics

Locations: Online

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.

Online Data Science

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains.

Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant.

Subjects: Python, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, SQL, Data Visualization, Pandas

Online Software Engineering

• Cost: $9,600 - $16,900
Locations: Online

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of the Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, the Flatiron team carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. Students will learn Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more!

By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action.

Post graduation, Flatiron School's dedicated career coaches provide 1:1 mentoring to every graduate, including resume reviews, mock interviews, and proven strategies for building a job opportunity pipeline. Graduates will also have access to a network of employer partners, and tap into the network of 1500+ alumni.

Subjects: CSS, Git, HTML, jQuery, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, AngularJS, JavaScript

Software Engineering

• Cost: $16,900
Locations: Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, NYC, Washington D.C., Houston

Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology.

The course covers Ruby, HTML & CSS, Object Orientation, Object Relational Mapping (ORM), SQL, Rack, Sinatra, Rails, JavaScript, React, Node.js and Express.js, Angular, and more. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.

Tuition varies based on campus locations:
Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000

1/31/2021
  • Kelsey Shiba | Junior Software Engineer
  • Online Software Engineering
  • Graduated: 2020

"Software Engineering Online Immersive"

I don't think I can recommend this program enough. I am in awe on how they delivered exactly what they laid out. My teacher was absolutely incredible. She always went above-and-beyond the call of duty, and she was an expert in debugging and resolving... Read More

1/25/2021
  • Mariamol James
  • Online Software Engineering
  • Graduated: 2020

"Great people and process"

Attending bootcamp gave me guidance and direction when I was trying to resume my career after a gap. Flatiron has great instructors and their lectures were awesome. Coding challenges and projects helped reinforce the concepts. Career services supported... Read More

1/12/2021
  • Jasper Reed | Coach, Software Engineering
  • Graduated: 2020

"Flatiron helped me better myself"

Flatiron School gave me the chance to learn in an environment that was very flexible to my learning style. Since the first day, I knew that I was in the right place, both my lead instructor and coach were so helpful, but didn't just throw the answer at... Read More

1/4/2021
  • Matthew Sedlacek | Full Stack Software Developer

"Amazing Experience!"

I cannot say enough great things about my Flatiron experience. The instructors and staff at Flatiron are top-notch and genuinely care about the success of their students. The curriculum consists of 5 mods (Ruby, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, React, and a... Read More

12/10/2020
  • Margarita Morozova
  • Graduated: 2020

"Best Coding Bootcamp In Every Way!"

I graduated from Flatiron School's software engineering immersive program in December 2020. Due to pandemic the program transitioned from on-campus to remote learning. We had to be on Zoom every day 9 to 6. Our day would start with a group discussion... Read More

11/23/2020
  • Jared Matta | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2020

"Flatiron Software Engineering Course"

Attending Flatiron Immersive Software Engineering Course was such a wonderful experience. Before I started I had a hard time grasping the concepts of software design and programming in general. I entered the course on campus, which made me feel at home... Read More

10/19/2020
  • Graduated: 2020

"🚩***SCAM ALERT*** : Read Before Enrolling"

Oh boy...where do I begin.

My recruiter was Madison Delaney and I would sometimes go weeks without hearing back from her. You can't call Flatiron and get a single person on the phone...always goes to voicemail. I'd constantly have to follow up, and it... Read More

I payed for the in-person program and received the online program. Flatiron still refuses to refund the difference after months of going back and forth with them. No points awarded for ethically. Here's 600 other Flatiron students who are upset about the situtation that Flatiron still ignores and refuses to address publicly.

On another note, Flatiron's instructors always seemed busy. When in need of assistance, more often than not, you're told to google the problem instead. Why did you pay the tuition then...I don't know. Where is the money going towards...I don't know.
Flatiron is quite big on asking for feedback, and I sure provided a lot of feedback during my time there. For the most part they don't seem to follow up on too many of them...or at least mine.

The instructors are all very nice, many of them are hired right after graduating so they aren't as experienced as the lead instructors. You very rarely get any attention from the lead instructor and even other instructors, so you're on your own for the most part.
The aloted rough schedule they advertise on their website is misleading and false. Your division of the day will mostly result with you being on your own googling answers and teaching yourself. There's a lot of BS in the schedule, like attendance for a half hour, surveys for an hour, "stand-downs" for an hour, "feelings" for an hour, etc... After doing the math, 16% of our day was actually entirely unaccounted for and pair programming was at a minimal percentage. I would have thought they'd be extra careful to not have any false advertising because they lost a lawsuit for $375,000 for having false salary and placement statistics advertised on there website.

Upon finishing the program, I feel cheated out of $17,000. The money-back guarantee sounds nice, but in actuality most people are either ineligible or opt-out and I'm uncertain why. Flatiron even leaked everybody’s personal data in a mass email and it doesn't look like anybody has received the money-back guarantee.

CSS is not taught - maybe it's just touched upon. They do a decent job with Ruby and React, but discourage you from learning Redux. You can graduate this program not knowing CSS, a single algorithm, or have a personal portfolio page. That's a big red flag.

Career services will follow up with you often which is nice, no complaints about that. They do leave everything up to you and it's mostly hands off on their part.

I do believe that at one point in time they used to be good. I came into this program looking to love it, but they definitely left a bad taste in my mouth and that's wildly unfortunate. There are way better alternatives from my understanding - even just teaching yourself is a better alternative...you can do it, don't be discouraged! Udemy looks like they have some great full stack courses for $20. I'd do that if I could go back in time.

Official Response from Flatiron School

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take this feedback incredibly seriously and, while we’re thrilled you got a great job, we’re sorry your experience hasn’t been what you expected. That’s not what we want for any student.... Read More

We’re incredibly proud of our curriculum and our job placements and we are always striving to make Flatiron School even better. We want to make sure you can connect with us over any issues you’ve experienced and will do our best to address them. Our team is reviewing your case in detail and will be sure to get back to you promptly

10/2/2020
  • Alex | Software Engineer
  • Graduated: 2019

"The little engine that couldn't."

At face value, Flatiron's promises and guarantees (such as the money back guarantee) seem flawless. Flatiron seems like a reputable school with great values and, with hundreds of great reviews online, there's no reason to believe otherwise. But beware:... Read More

Instructors:
We were promised lead instructors and assistants.

Three days into the bootcamp, every single lead instructor on my campus quit. We were then taught by TAs that apologized for their lectures because they had, and I quote, "never taught before." Flatiron attempted to remedy the situation by flying in leads from DC and NYC, but neither instructor stayed longer than a week (a mod is 3 weeks) despite being told we would have them for a whole mod. This meant our TAs stepped in and taught a couple of lectures, while most of the time we were just sent pre-recorded lectures from the prior year. To add insult to injury, they finally hired someone named Lyn to come in and be our Lead Instructor for the last 3 weeks before our final project. She taught us one 30 minute lesson, "Who is Lyn?" and then was conveniently sick/caring for her sick wife for the rest of the three weeks.

In the event that you did not experience instructors leaving (which would be a miracle considering lead instructors are hard to come by these days), lead instructors are NOT what is promised on the website. Now, please don't think I'm calling out every lead instructor, there were a couple great ones, but one of the best ones quit 3 days into my first week.

Curriculum:
Have you ever heard of code academy? Flatiron certainly has as it seems all of their curriculum is either poorly TA-written (and I mean, POORLY), or ripped off from code academy. The amount of times we looked around and scratched our heads at what on earth we were supposed to be doing is far too many to count. Sure, you might think we were just a particularly stupid group, but it turns out that most Alumni feel the same way about the curriculum.

Also, you cannot go from "beginner" to "job ready" upon graduation. You are not taught enough basic fundamentals (hello, react hooks?!?) to even get a jr. level job and far more people spend 6+ months after graduation absolutely grinding out lessons from places like code academy and leet code to get up to par that Flatiron would like you to believe. There is no curriculum after the 15 weeks (technically, it's only 12 because the last 3 weeks are spent working on a project) to further your education and you will find yourself scouring youtube videos on how to code just like you did while attending flatiron.

Job Assistance:
I've said it once and I'll say it a hundred times: I got a job despite going to Flatiron.
My previous work experience played a HUGE role in getting a job and Flatiron does NOT have a "robust employer pipeline" as their website would like you to believe. Their money back guarantee is also a scam. If you do not do every single thing they ask for 6 months (and the requirements are really, really tough) then you are disqualified from getting your money back. I think 2 people in the history of Flatiron have gotten their money back and I know of 8 in the last couple months that have tried.

We did not have "Lunch and Learn" meetups with people in the industry, I was not contacted by Employer Partnerships more than once regarding a job paying over $12/hr ($24,900/yr)... the going salary for a SE in NYC is $75,000/yr.

Overall:
Flatiron has one silver lining. Their alumni community.

BUT, If you want to spend $15,000 on a bootcamp that barely gets your foot in the door, potentially rips you off for $20,000+ if you do an ISA, or screws you over by disqualifying you for a "Money Back Guarantee" that is nothing short of a legal scam, then go ahead, be my guest. But as for me? I do not recommend Flatiron. There's so many better options out there that are free.

Official Response from Flatiron School

Hi Alex - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take this feedback incredibly seriously and, while we’re thrilled you got a great job, we’re sorry your experience hasn’t been what you expected. That’s not what we want for any student.... Read More

9/17/2020
  • Brandon Williams
  • Graduated: 2020

"My Experience at Flatiron (July 2020)"

MY EXPERIENCE AT FLATIRON (JULY 2020) Full Time Software Engineering I would not recommend Flatiron to anyone, period. My Student/Admissions Rep had terrible communication skills (which is not acceptable) and would take days and days to answer 1 email... Read More

9/17/2020
  • Miranda
  • Data Science
  • Graduated: 2020

"Extremely disorganized and chaotic - don't waste your time."

Extremely disorganized, poor quality of instruction, very scammy. I had to file a dispute with my credit card to get my payment back (despite their promise of refunding within 5 wks of program start if you disenroll they ignored all my emails about a... Read More

Flatiron School's average rating is 4.68 out of 5.0 based on 250 review(s).